Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

I have been posting the Meyerwerft Shipyard weekly picture since September 10th on the Solstice Inaugural Voyage Roll Call. (I missed three pictures from 9/24-10/8 when we were in San Francisco and then sailed Infinity through the Panama Canal. Also the shipyard did not post a picture the week of December 31st.)

Thanks to Pro-Am for displaying them on his time lapse site. I'm sure he'll update it soon with this new one:

724469613_Solstice-011408.jpg.bbe11620f43a70bc500cf073c663f5b3.jpg

Well I figured I would give this a shot. Over on the RCCL boards we have several threads dealing with specific ships. Example: "All Thing Explorer of The Seas". I've found these type threads very informative when looking into a ship. I would like for this to be a thread to share any information, ideas, reviews, tips, on Celebrity new ship. I know not much is out there at this point but some of you hear things before others etc. I hope this thread can be a valuable resource for those of you booked or looking to book her. Just look at this thread as a Celebrity Solstice fan club thread! I hope that people will post often and keep us up to date!!:)

Well I figured I would give this a shot. Over on the RCCL boards we have several threads dealing with specific ships. Example: "All Thing Explorer of The Seas". I've found these type threads very informative when looking into a ship. I would like for this to be a thread to share any information, ideas, reviews, tips, on Celebrity new ship. I know not much is out there at this point but some of you hear things before others etc. I hope this thread can be a valuable resource for those of you booked or looking to book her. Just look at this thread as a Celebrity Solstice fan club thread! I hope that people will post often and keep us up to date!!:)

Good idea, to start things off for those who haven't seen it, here is the web cam of the shipyard as they build her.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=2&subs=0&did=826

Hi Everyone !

There is already a thread dedicated to Solstice at the top of the Celebrity Board. You might want to check there as well. Enjoy !

Hi Everyone !

There is already a thread dedicated to Solstice at the top of the Celebrity Board. You might want to check there as well. Enjoy !

Yeah I see that now. This thread will fall under the catagory of "Things you want to know BEFORE you start a new thread." Lucky for me I've never been accused of being smart.:o

I understand those who book an AQ class cabin on Solstice are automatically entitled to a standing reservation, at no extra charge, at Blu, the specialty restaurant on Solstice. Does anybody know if this is the one and only specialty restaurant? If it is, and it's reserved for AQ guests, I would imagine it may be hard to get a reservation there. Anybody know?

I could be wrong but I think Blu is intended solely for ac, but you can book it if someone doesn't show- I am assuming that there will be a second, traditional specialty restaurant that anyone can book for an additional fee of course- but again I may be mistaken.

I’m not a gambling man, but I bet the count is more than two and that’s not counting Blu.:cool:

I'll bet you dinner:D oh wait...I agree with you...never mind;)

I understand those who book an AQ class cabin on Solstice are automatically entitled to a standing reservation, at no extra charge, at Blu, the specialty restaurant on Solstice. Does anybody know if this is the one and only specialty restaurant? If it is, and it's reserved for AQ guests, I would imagine it may be hard to get a reservation there. Anybody know?

From what I know, it appears that the AQ guests have the priority reservations to this dining venue, and if there is space available it is going to be open to others on board who wish to dine there.

There will also be other venues, although there are little to no indicators on what they may be, number of venues, or whether this ship will be open dining or traditional seating as well.

The floor plans have plenty of bow and stern areas to be filled in with demising lines and names of venues, so for now we all guess and wait to find out more to see what happens.:)

To late Lois it’s a bet, but we can’t say what restaurant in Solstice to settle this, at least not yet.;)

Which week of Solstice are you sailing?

I am on 1/11/09....wow, its a year from now!:eek:

Which week of Solstice are you sailing?

I am on 1/11/09....wow, its a year from now!:eek:

I haven’t booked on Solstice yet. Somehow 3,000 pax scare me to death. But if we are going to settle this bet I guess 1/11/09 is good enough for me….ok now name the restaurant?:rolleyes:

I’m not a gambling man, but I bet the count is more than two and that’s not counting Blu.:cool:

Hi XCruiser !

I am guessing there will be somewhere between 3-5 Specialty Restaurants onboard Solstice. I am also expecting to see Assigned Seating for Dinner, as well as some form of Anytime Dining (ala Princess). I hope we hear more about these details soon !

Hi XCruiser !

I am guessing there will be somewhere between 3-5 Specialty Restaurants onboard Solstice. I am also expecting to see Assigned Seating for Dinner, as well as some form of Anytime Dining (ala Princess). I hope we hear more about these details soon !

Andy, I think your guessing is close to right and that applies to the dinning format as well. Some will be shocked but others know it’s coming. Expect details to trickle out soon.

It was good to meet you on Quest but I can’t say I not happy to get off when I did. Look forward to sailing again with you and Yes Connie Rules.

I don't think there will be as many a 5 specialty venues. I think Blu is clearly one to the count, and I beleve there will be a second that is themed for the special selections of the itinerary and that has already been presented by the cruiseline to some extent.

There is an area that is new that is called Tastings and that will be an addtion to the variety of options although I haven't a clue what will be available, but I am thinking some light fare available throught the day and I am hoping more like the combined RCCL Explorer/Freedom class and the X Cova areas. Pizza, cookies, wraps, quiche, etc.

There will probably be the buffet options for casual dining similar to what exist now, and I do think there will continue to be a dining room with a traditional seating arrangement.

I hope there is a Seaview Cafe kind of area, but on the deck plans I can't quite place one yet, yet I don't think that there will be more than 2 high end specialty dining venues, Blu, and the Itinerary Themed area that has been released.

There is really not more than that needed....

If this subject has been addressed previously, forgive my ignorance. But based on what I've read about Solstice (on which we're booked, BTW), it seems Celebrity has been stingy disseminating information. Holland America, part of the Carnival family, for goodness sakes, has an extensive blog for Eurodam (we're booked on her too), which covers just about every aspect of the ship from the menu to the propulsion system. I thought about printing it all out for reference, but gave up after I realized how much paper I'd use. The point is, there are no secrets to cruise ships and to see Celebrity, our favorite mass-market cruise line, play it's cards so close to its chest, is puzzling. And annoying!:mad:

If you look at the deck plans there is the predicatble rear of two decks similar to what we have all come to know as the dining levels on all the X ships.

Blu is placed on the plans, Tastings is placed on the plans, there is an entire rear deck on the upper pool deck level that needs to be filled in, BUT, there is not a Buffet venue ON the pool deck in the usual spot, so my guess is this upper pool deck level.

There is also the top most deck at the rear end that is unplanned. That could be an awesome panoramic glass room for dining!

Otherwise...all penciled in an planned.

Archived