Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Almost afraid to start a discussion here - but I've heard rumors that the Solstice may have modified smoking policy - closer to that of Azamara.

Not suggesting anyone weigh in pros or cons - just wondering what you've heard; would help me make cabin selection.

Almost afraid to start a discussion here - but I've heard rumors that the Solstice may have modified smoking policy - closer to that of Azamara.

Not suggesting anyone weigh in pros or cons - just wondering what you've heard; would help me make cabin selection.

and what would that policy be? just curious.

The new smoking policy will go into effect on many RCI ships. I doubt if Celebrity will be far behind as a result of the fire on Princess last year, now attributed to a careless smoker.

Google RCI smoking policy

Have not heard but maybe they could make the Aqua spa cabins non-smoking in keeping with the health & spa theme!

ahh I see; I don't blame you for wanting clarification an I agree, Celebrity should be up front if their smoking policy will be changed with the new Solstice line. Personally, I would love the entire ship to be non-smoking, but since the world does not revolve around me, I think it only fair that clarifications should be made now. I would not like (as a non-smoker) to pick and AS cabin thinking that they would all be non-smoking and have a unsuspecting smoker in the cabin next to me smoking because he didn't know the policy when he booked and have the smoke coming under the connecting door into my cabin.

Keep us posted if you hear what the policy is::)

ahh I see; I don't blame you for wanting clarification an I agree, Celebrity should be up front if their smoking policy will be changed with the new Solstice line. Personally, I would love the entire ship to be non-smoking, but since the world does not revolve around me, I think it only fair that clarifications should be made now. I would not like (as a non-smoker) to pick and AS cabin thinking that they would all be non-smoking and have a unsuspecting smoker in the cabin next to me smoking because he didn't know the policy when he booked and have the smoke coming under the connecting door into my cabin.

Keep us posted if you hear what the policy is::)

Well, I can offer this . . . I have 2 cabins booked on the inagural cruise - and those 2 will be non-smoking! Now, if we can just make sure non-smokers book them on the next voyage . . .

Didn't they wait until after they began booking Azamara to explain the smoking policy (no smoking in cabin and only in few designated areas?) Not that I think that is right . . . but it isn't out of the question that the are booking cabins and haven't yet publicized a modified smoking policy.

It would seem that a new ship that is spa theme would be a good time to implement a tighter non-smoking policy - then they don't have to replace or deep clean . . . and certainly does fit with the "healthy lifestyle".

Hmmmm, wonder if the 5 leading ladies are smokers?

Another rule to be revealed is wheteher or nor children will be allowed in the indoor pool area. It is a beautiful space. Hope they are good with acoustic buffers...on M class the aquaspa pool area becomes unbearably loud by later in the day when everyone piles in there...

We are sailing 4 Jan, so I'll try and get a peak on the Panorama Sky Suite location and let you know what I find out.

Hey Tony -- are you absolutely set on the Jan 4 sailing? I talked Charlie & Artie and Doug & Vince into booking March 1 Solstice while we were on our Med cruise. You should join...we'd have almost half of our old gang back together. And, if Spring Break is early...we might even snag Texed! ;)

Hi Darren and Travis,

Yes, I thnk so. My birthday is on the 4th. We booked early and snaagged a good cabin so I think we are pretty well set, but geez. I wish you guys were on our cruise, darn it. Hey I have a question for you. Have you guys ever thought about swapping houses for a long weekend? I am toying with the idea. I think it would be great. I could cash in airline miles, swap house and only have to pay for food and incidentals.

Toni

Hi Darren and Travis,

Yes, I thnk so. My birthday is on the 4th. We booked early and snaagged a good cabin so I think we are pretty well set, but geez. I wish you guys were on our cruise, darn it. Hey I have a question for you. Have you guys ever thought about swapping houses for a long weekend? I am toying with the idea. I think it would be great. I could cash in airline miles, swap house and only have to pay for food and incidentals.

Toni

I also booked early (the morning bookings opened) and snagged our first aft cabin ever! Woohoo. I've never really thought about the house swap thing. I've seen some articles on TV about people doing that. Seems like a decent idea...especially if you know the people.

Hi Darren,

You are going to LOVE the aft. We had an aft on the Infinity to Alaska this past August and it was awesome. We booked an aft corner Sky suite on the Sollstice, so I am hoping they will be generous with the balcony when they put her together.

Toni

darren - texed is on my cruise - we've been roll call chatting! Fellow Texans - ha ha. I think they are doing a B2B so I think you may be out of luck getting them on yours. But hey - our roll call sounds fun - come join US! :D

Ah, lucky you. You'll have a blast. Texed and Jacque are a joy to cruise with. Those holiday cruises are just out of my budget range, though. Enjoy! Be sure to report back on Solstice to all of us foaming at the mouth with anticipation.

Darren - believe me, I hear you on the budget. We'll be saving for awhile but I have the week off between Christmas and New Years and this was a perfect opportunity to get a cruise in without eating up precious vacation time!! I promise to give a full report on Solstice!

Will the connecting aft cabins be more sound proof between cabins on the Solstice?

From what we were told at the presentation in New York in September, Celebrity is using a new design that should reduce the noise conduction between the connecting cabins throughout the ship.

Karen

The master of Solstice will be Captain Panagiotis Skylogiannis who just left Summit yesterday.

Shut up! Really?? Where did you get the info???

He was our Captain on the Summit in Alaska in June 2006. Fantastic, friendly, personable gentleman. We had dinner with him at his table, and I have great memories of the meeting! I would really enjoy crossing paths with him again!

From what we were told at the presentation in New York in September, Celebrity is using a new design that should reduce the noise conduction between the connecting cabins throughout the ship.

Karen

According to the new Captain's Club Newsletter I received yesterday via snail-mail, the new design is a vestibule between the shared doors. No details as to how big it is (i.e. how much room reduction it results in).

Archived