Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Well....there are varities of 'fabrics' that can handle some of it....there are the new sunbrella types in a finer fabric weave that look really nice, there are treated fabrics that really do repel stains because of a special coating, and there are vinyls that look much like a fabric and are of a weight that is like fabric so much so that it's suprising, and of course there is pleather.

All I can think of is the dead grass on northern routes or around the tip of S.A. Grass that can take the heat can't take the cold. I wonder what it will look like after a torrential downpour? Mud? Sounds like a neat idea on paper but a bust in reality.

Well....there are varities of 'fabrics' that can handle some of it....there are the new sunbrella types in a finer fabric weave that look really nice, there are treated fabrics that really do repel stains because of a special coating,

Do they repel maple syrup? :rolleyes:

A bit silly isn't it?

I, for one, regret picking out Ivory leather seats for my car. I am always amazed how quickly and easily they dirty. No one sit in the back seat... yet...........

Dirt magnets I call them.

Designers never think about practicality. How about those bowl sinks on Century, which splash. They were all the rage 5 years ago.. and as people learned about the slashing, they faded from popularity.

Mike, I'm pretty mixed up and often get my cruises confused. Bottom line: we are on all of Eurodam's inaugural stuff except the pre-cruise naming ceremony, and on the Feb 22, 2009 sailing of Solstice in the Caribbean, back-to-back, for 14 days. Sorry if I implied we were on the Solstice inaugural (one of those a year is about all we can afford).

I think you believed we were on the European debut of the Eurodam. We are on the 3 night cruise to nowhere out of NYC. That is the U.S. introduction I was talking about.

I know you will have a great time. Write a detailed review so we can get even more excited.

Yo dude,

Like I was hoping they'd like call it like the GRASS Club. :p

Usha, you couldn't be more wrong about this ship. It's bigger than other lines ships, but has a lower pax capacity. What's that tell you about overcrowding? Plus, it's Celebrity, which for me is reason enough to rush out and book it. Oh, that's right, we already did!

No offense but some of you need to lighten up a little. You are taking this WAYYY to seriously. Depending on how it is laid out, it may be a nice touch at sea. It's something different, and those of you who sail her will take pictures of the lawn and show it to your friends and brag about how YOU were there. You know you will. I just hope they don't allow people to bring their dogs to the Lawn Club. Then the only thing missing would be a fire hydrant, if you get my drift. Watch your step.

Texed ~ thank you for my morning laughs! It's exactly what I needed. Since I'm going on the inaugural, I'll be sure to check out whether or not they repel maple syrup for you! :)

And, as of now, we are on the cruise right after you. :)

Wow, I can't believe this is even an issue. Do you honestly think that X would go through with a white color scheme without doing their homework? Let alone, X ships have been the cleanest that we have ever been on, but they must have considered that before going through the motions, don't you think?

No offense but some of you need to lighten up a little. You are taking this WAYYY to seriously. Depending on how it is laid out, it may be a nice touch at sea.

I agree 100%. Unlike other so called "enhancements", like MUTS on Princess, this innovation is a quiet one and shouldn't impact the enjoyment of other passengers who have no interest. My only concern is that it will take up a lot of valuable deck space. For those of us who like to lay out in the sun, I hope there will be plenty of additional prime deck space for the lounge chairs.

Here is a small pic of the area.

Ernie

solsticelawn1.jpg

If anyone really likes the lawn, patio, wine & stars area--maybe with a nice hot tub--you can come to my house -& I'll honor all coupons & Elite Perks--cruising is at sea, the other stuff is my backyard!

Just looking at the possibility of booking Solstice - AquaClass category after really enjoying a recent cruise on RCI Freedom.

Now I know not a lot of info has yet been given out, but just wondering if anyone knew if by booking into an Aquaclass cabin you get the same perks as Concierge Class (as AC is higher than CC) such as:

• Welcome champagne

• Daily fruit selection

• Fresh-cut flowers

• Daily hors d'oeuvres

• Pillow Menu - Conformance, Body, Goose, and Isotonic®

• Duvets and pillow-top mattresses

• Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag

Frette bathrobes

• Hansgrohe® showerhead

• VIP invitations to events

• Early embarkation and debarkation

• Dining and seating preference

• Preference on shore excursions

• Express luggage delivery

• Shoeshine service

Or are these JUST for Concierge Class and NOT for Aquaclass

Hi 38anchor...

I just cut and pasted this from the Celebrity website:

AquaClass Indulgences:

spacer.gif

Welcome champagne

Daily fruit selection

Fresh-cut flowers

Daily hors d'oeuvres

Menu of pillows-Conformance,

Body, Goose, and Isotonic®

Duvets and pillow-top mattresses

Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag

Frette bathrobes

Hansgrohe® showerhead

VIP invitations to events

Early embarkation and debarkation

Dining and seating preference

Preference on shore excursions

Express luggage delivery

Shoeshine service

So looks like it's pretty much the same...EXCEPT and this is a big one. We have our very own private speciality restaurant named "BLU". This restaurant is the dining room for AquaClass passengers only. Also don't forget the AquaSpa privs which include the Persian Garden and Relaxation room at no additional charge.

We're booked on the March 8, 2009 sailing in AquaClass and we can't wait!

The Solstice is going to be a beauty!

Hope this helps!

Michele :)

Just looking at the possibility of booking Solstice - AquaClass category after really enjoying a recent cruise on RCI Freedom.

Now I know not a lot of info has yet been given out, but just wondering if anyone knew if by booking into an Aquaclass cabin you get the same perks as Concierge Class (as AC is higher than CC) such as:

• Welcome champagne

• Daily fruit selection

• Fresh-cut flowers

• Daily hors d'oeuvres

• Pillow Menu - Conformance, Body, Goose, and Isotonic®

• Duvets and pillow-top mattresses

• Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag

Frette bathrobes

• Hansgrohe® showerhead

• VIP invitations to events

• Early embarkation and debarkation

• Dining and seating preference

• Preference on shore excursions

• Express luggage delivery

• Shoeshine service

Or are these JUST for Concierge Class and NOT for Aquaclass

We are booked in AQ and our TA has confirmed that AQ will get the same double cruise credits that CC and the suites enjoy. In addition, there will be a Hansgrohe shower panel, not just a showerhead. Beyond that, I understand there will be an exclusive (and complimentary) AQ Relaxation Room on the "AQ deck", unlimited use of the Persian Garden (also no charge), and perhaps other spa amenities. There is also hot debate whether Blu will be exclusively for AQ passengers. From the brochure, that would seem to be the case.

Other than that, I will assume (a very dangerous approach) that the perks are the same - or better. I guess we will find out more when Celebrity reveals more "secrets".

Hi 38anchor...

I just cut and pasted this from the Celebrity website:

AquaClass Indulgences:

spacer.gif

Welcome champagne

Daily fruit selection

Fresh-cut flowers

Daily hors d'oeuvres

Menu of pillows-Conformance,

Body, Goose, and Isotonic®

Duvets and pillow-top mattresses

Leather key holder, personalized stationery and a tote bag

Frette bathrobes

Hansgrohe® showerhead

VIP invitations to events

Early embarkation and debarkation

Dining and seating preference

Preference on shore excursions

Express luggage delivery

Shoeshine service

So looks like it's pretty much the same...EXCEPT and this is a big one. We have our very own private speciality restaurant named "BLU". This restaurant is the dining room for AquaClass passengers only. Also don't forget the AquaSpa privs which include the Persian Garden and Relaxation room at no additional charge.

We're booked on the March 8, 2009 sailing in AquaClass and we can't wait!

The Solstice is going to be a beauty!

Hope this helps!

Michele :)

Is this a pretty new posting on the Celebrity site? I have not seen it and I check every few days. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place. I have been looking at both the Solstice ship profile (with deck plans and

accommodation layouts) and the Solstice "site" which has not seemed to change much at all.

All white might be nice & tranquil for an adults only spa area but otherwise it seems quite cold & sterile to me.. Think back to the white rags & curtains & beds they put on the Summit in the lounge--by the time we were on it, it was all shabby & filthy.. no one wanted to touch it.

Seems the group of "typical" women who were advising them are not really like most experieced cruisers or they have been repaced by the usual suspects!

Overall the plans & pics I have seen seem to show a typical very large cruise ship layout with some new ideas that hopefully will work out OK. I am very concerned about the indoor pool area in terms of acoustics.. Hope they realize how loud those indoor pool areas get when they fill up with real live chatty people!

We are looking forward to our 2009 mid- January cruise to see it first hand--if it isn't to our liking there is always Mercury (our favorite) & Century & all the M class ships

Archived