Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

I think Celebrity must be updating the site again today. I was getting the same error message late Thursday and again on Friday when they were adding all of the new info that was avilable on Saturday (renderings of the Lawn Club, etc.)

So I'm hoping that there's more new fun "stuff" tomorrow!

So I'm hoping that there's more new fun "stuff" tomorrow!

They just added a really lame television commercial for Solstice. Very unimpressed. The commercial does mention "dine in far away places" and looked like an Asian dumpling, so maybe there is going to be an Asian specialty restaurant.

I'm going to post this one more time: do you honestly think that X hasn't taken things into account before they put some of these innovations and designs into the plans of an $800+ million vessel? Be realistic for a moment and think about it.

Some people have said negative things about white. Like someone in the design center didn't say, "well, white DOES show dirt you know?"

Do you think they would put an actual lawn on a cruise ship if they didn't think about weather, sun, the sea air, etc? (Though I LMAO at the fire ant comment - too funny!)

I can't think for one minute that no one at X has not already mentioned these things and maybe did a little research first. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but please! If you find yourself being one of those "that's not going to work" types, by all means don't book a cruise on this ship. Plenty of other fine X ships to book.

Or are you jealous? That's it! A-ha! People like eroller and my wife and I decided, sight unseen, to book this beauty and are thrilled to be able to experience some incredible innovations!

Sorry, I had to let off a little steam, but can you tell that I am so totally jonesing to go on this ship? It's killing me!

Do you think they would put an actual lawn on a cruise ship if they didn't think about weather, sun, the sea air, etc? (Though I LMAO at the fire ant comment - too funny!)

I can't speak for others, but I posted my question about sea spray (salt water on the lawn) simply because I didn't know the answer, and it was something I was curious about. I have grown up my whole life with admonition from the maternal ancestors saying that despite the entertainment value involved, pouring salt on garden slugs is indeed bad for the garden, grass, flowers, etc, so don't do it! Naturally the question came to my mind about how does a beautiful lawn survive a bit of rough weather which could spray it with thousands of gallons of very salty ocean water?

And like a champ, the fellow posters on the board came through, educating us all on the existence of grass species that can indeed process salt water! Now perhaps that isn't how they do it on Solstice, they may have come up with something entirely different, but no matter, I'm glad I asked the question, I learned something new.

For me, it's also a part of the process of anticipating a new ship. Trying to think of problems they have encountered along the way, and then figuring out how they solved them. Doesn't mean we don't want to go, in fact, it makes me all the more eager to see the solutions for myself first hand!

Theron (speaking for the little bit of engineer in all of us!:))

^^^TPKeller, point well made. I read here and elsewhere that there is a grass that actually does well watered by sea (salt) water, so this ought to be a treat. Eroller's pictures put me over the top. I want to go NOW!!!!!

Every new innovation that DH and I see for Solstice just has us more eager to be onboard too! We booked onboard Summit in June when they opened bookings, sight unseen (and unknown) and haven't looked back, just ahead.:)

They just added a really lame television commercial for Solstice. Very unimpressed. The commercial does mention "dine in far away places" and looked like an Asian dumpling, so maybe there is going to be an Asian specialty restaurant.

The apparent Asian dining venue in the commercial confirms what I posted in October as per the Celebrity official we met onboard Infinity. He stated although nothing was in stone there could be up to five dining restaurants and one would be an Asian restaurant. While viewing a TV show online today I saw the commercial that is on the Celebrity site and another Solstice ad featuring the spa.

BTW, the shipyard did not post the new picture today so hopefully it will be up tomorrow.

somehow not knowing is making it more fun for me. I blew off steam on my sailing week. I want to see the lawn and a white ship with some color.

the only sad thing I am only doing 7 days and might not get to eat in all the resturants at night. I will be in BLU at least once. love Asian too. but i always eat in SJ and thought about eatign in St Maarten too. So here is to many fine dinners.:D

I have not been following Solstice much upto now. After just seeing the pictures on the website I have to say I was blown away!! WOW is all I can say. The colours and innovations are amazing. The sunset bar is so nice. Normally I see a cruise ship and there is always something I dont like about a certain room or area. Everything I have seen so far is fantastic.

I think I may be booking onto this beauty tomorrow :)

I have not been following Solstice much upto now. After just seeing the pictures on the website I have to say I was blown away!! WOW is all I can say. The colours and innovations are amazing. The sunset bar is so nice. Normally I see a cruise ship and there is always something I dont like about a certain room or area. Everything I have seen so far is fantastic.

I think I may be booking onto this beauty tomorrow :)

Della, now you see what we went through. You think you've got it bad? When we first got the postcard from Celebrity announcing this baby, we booked it sight unseen! Just from a postcard! The pictures are just making the anticipation so much more difficult to bear. In America there is a slang term for this - it's called "jonesing." It comes from "keeping up with the Joneses" meaning you are always WANT the stuff that your neighbor already has. We have a severe case of jonesing, meaning we are SO wanting to get on this ship that we can't wait till December.

Book it! Book it!

Well, after being out of the "cruise loop" for many many months, I stop back here at CC and see that I have missed a lot.

I love the ship!!! Can't wait to get more of the 411 on it!!

As for those who are making comments about the white colors.....I have one question....Do you think a company as big as RCCL.....Spending Billions of dollars on new ships with innovative designs and features...would not of taken in consideration the color white and the amount of use and abuse it will receive?:confused:

All I can think of is the dead grass on northern routes or around the tip of S.A. Grass that can take the heat can't take the cold. I wonder what it will look like after a torrential downpour? Mud? Sounds like a neat idea on paper but a bust in reality.

I am willing to bet the farm that the sod/grass will be on top of a grate type material. Excess water would go thru and drain off.

tm9.jpg

This material is made for rooftop lawns. It can be watered from underneath and also allow excess rain water to drain under it. http://www.pinktentacle.com/2006/08/rooftop-lawn-planting-made-simple/

I know its so nice.....I wish my bedroom at home was as nice as the balcony suite!!! Its actually given me some ideas LOL...:D I was showing a few people today and they couldnt believe it was a cruise ship . They thought it was a boutique hotel.... Costed for the 8th Feb today and I have to say the prices are pretty good considering the facilities you are getting. Am I reading it right that ALL staterooms have baths???

Nope all staterooms do not have bathtubs. Suites and up still have tubs. Aquaclass has special showerheads. But that's it. CC on down still have showers only.

Very true Nice avatar Wolfgang. Have you guys picked the equivelent to 9038 (millie) yet on Solstice? If so share the information and we will take good care of your new home cabin :D

Totally off topic here but on the Cape Liberty Cruise Port schedule it states that the solstice will be having inaugural events from november 4th to november 12. wooo hooo

but i have a question, does this mean that the public is allowed on the ship or no?

i've been tracking the progress of this ship ever since they announced that it was going to be built so im really excited for it!!!

im going to be on b2b december 21 and 28

I <3 CELEBRITY SOLSTICE

Archived