do you suffer from ir-regular-ity...

johno95

There's no way I would take Pepto Bismol to combat a constipation problem since it's formulated to relieve diarrhea.

Whenever I'm traveling, it's Metamucil that I will rely on because it works. Take it every day at the same time and drink the appropriate amount of water with it. If I'm on a cruise, I'll stir a heaping tablespoon into a glass of water and drink it at the same time I'm having my coffee in the morning in my stateroom. It's now available in capsule form which is certainly handy when one is traveling, but I have found that it does not work as well. However, this product should not be used if you find that you are already constipated as it might make the situation worse.

If you take it every day, then you are not wondering all the time if you have consumed the proper amount of fruits and vegetables to get the fiber you need.

I suffer from Crohn's disease (mild case, fortunately) which can cause this problem no matter what I eat. My gastroenterologist recommends 2 fiber caplets twice a day, every day, in addition to the prescription medication I take. I take the Costco brand. That way you don't need to worry so much about what you eat. You should get enough fiber from the pills.

I have always tended to have this problem anytime I am away from home, cruise or not. DH and I ALWAYS have prunes with breakfast. Even when we go to the waffle station I go back to the buffet and get a bowl of them. Hydration is a MUST and exercise helps, too. We eat plenty of salad and veggies. With that regimen, we don't have a problem on cruises. However, I am always ready for anything with my fiber caps and imodium. :D

Try to relax, take imodium, stick with familiar foods and drink bottled water. Whether you're regular or irregular, this is the last thing anyone should have to worry about. Watch out for the sauces too. Remember, the best thing about cruise ships is that they will cook just about anything anyone would like and they almost all have alternatives to the fancy dinners as well as vegetarian dishes. Have fun, relax and come back smiling!

I empathize! This can really slow one down.

What works for me (DH never seems to have this problem), is that I switch from tea to coffee, I take along some pre-measured packets of Metamucil, I also order the daily plate of fruit delivered to our cabin. At breakfast I try to get the most fiber I can, plus more fruit. And, since I'm pre-diabetic, sugar-free candy does help too. The xylitol which is the sweetening ingredient in it, is an effective laxative! On the non-food side, it seems the more vigorous exercise we get, the better I feel. We don't even take the elevators and put in some vigorous dancing every night.:D

One thing I've read and hasn't been mentioned yet is a bath. If you are staying in a hotel before you board your ship, or have a suite with a bathtub, soak for at least 20 minutes. Not only is it relaxing, I've read it helps to rehydrate your body along with drinking water.

I thought Immodium and Pepto Bismol were both to relieve diarrhea, who would want to take that for irregularity?

I thought Immodium and Pepto Bismol were both to relieve diarrhea, who would want to take that for irregularity?

Well, 5 times in 2 hours is irregular, isn't it? LOL

I usually find my system gets out of whack the first day or 2 of a trip, and the first day or 2 back home. Usually from stress and excitement leading up to the trip and the fact I tend not to eat during the driving and flying stages, and I drink very little during that time as well. Then adjusting to the different styles of food than I'm accustomed to.

This hasn't been my experience. In fact, after a few days of cruise food, my toilet.....nevermind.

Usually around day 4, you start noticing more and more smells about the ship. It always seemed to me that things were flowing just fine. ;)

• 10 years later...

WOW! This thread is exhausted, but as a newbie all around I was curious if the cruise food was spiked as my wife and I have never been as regular as we were on our recent cruise. Maybe the food is better balanced than it was in 2006/2007.

WOW! This thread is exhausted, but as a newbie all around I was curious if the cruise food was spiked as my wife and I have never been as regular as we were on our recent cruise. Maybe the food is better balanced than it was in 2006/2007.

Exhausted is right - you resurrected an 11 year old thread. Must be close to a record! And as your first post no less...wow!

.....and your food is not spiked with anything - really?? Probably because you are eating twice as much twice as often as you would at home.

Also not sure I get your reference to better balanced food in 2006/2007......:confused:

But anyway, welcome to CC - interesting first post.

It's usually a change in your routine...you've heard of "shy bladder"...well, it happens with the colon, too! It's not always the food...it's usually just the travel, and change in your daily habits.

Try to eat a balanced diet and bring a stool softener like Docusate 100mg. Best to take before you are plugged up.

You do realize the OP started this thread in 2007? If you are answering their question they are long gone. FoxPondCruiser resurrected it today as their first CC post, to which I commented. In it they state they suffer from the opposite of that issue raised by the OP.

but only because you are on a cruise? :rolleyes:

i do. :(

for you, what causes this cruise-related constipation? :confused:

what do you do to prevent or treat it? :)

At breakfast ask for a cup of boiled water and a lemon .Add the juice from the lemon to the water .This should help .

If you are able to order Ginger tea drink the tea plus the lemon juice .Guaranteed to work.

It means you need more fibre on a cruise and less bulky fatty/carby stuff.

If fruit and veggies are not your thing consider mild natural senna supplements (not the strong anti runs ones) or a small bowl of prunes at brekkie.

I find I eat worse on holiday but this means I need to balance it with more good things too like veggies and water. High salt cruise/resort food means that hydration is especially key.

Another example of why Cruise Critic should come up with a way to automatically lock threads after a certain period of time. These zombie threads drive me crazy.

I just think its interesting that people keep posting on it. To me it means they don't realize it's an 11 year old resurrected thread and the OP is long gone, or they think the topic is still relevant and want to add their experience and input.

Either way it is what it is, and that's fine by me.......:)

• Like 1

I just think its interesting that people keep posting on it. To me it means they don't realize it's an 11 year old resurrected thread and the OP is long gone, or they think the topic is still relevant and want to add their experience and input.

Either way it is what it is, and that's fine by me.......:)

The topic is still relevant.

BTW, the OP may not have heeded the advice first given and a) has died of constipation, or b) still trying to budget.;p