All Things Freedom of the Seas!

Thanks Awatt, Cuizer2, and WhiteSoxFan!

St.Thomas ideas are good. Magens or Coki and seeing the views from up top. My kids are into Pirates everything...so I might have to show them Blackbeards Castle too. I was in St Thomas back in 1991 when visting relatives who lived on Water Island. The tramway looks great. We could do that right off the bat! It's so close and easy (even though I'm claustrophobic, yikes!) St. Maarten is still up in the air. The Americas Cup race sounds amazing, though I'd have to be one of the lazy ones and couldn't "man" a winch due to my still recovering broken wrist from February (snowboarding accident). Had surgery, so I'm still having rehab and I can't imagine having the strength to crank a winch, but how fun. We'll look into it. If not, we'll have to go to a nice beach and a little walking around the town. My sister in law is a major shopper, so we have to accommodate everyone's favorite things. As for the San Juan night..good idea doing Chops that night. That could solve the problem of which night in the dining room issues? We already know we're going to miss that night since we have main seating. I'm going to go online and see if I can grab a late time. The kids could go to Windjammer by 8:30 or 9:00? WhiteSox..based on the El Morro and walking around, etc...when did you get back onboard? Do people go shopping in Old San Juan or just cruise around? Thanks again, Kathleen

We had a 7:30 Chops reservation and got back on board a little after 7:00. We stopped at a few shops on the way back and didn't rush back. The bad thing was a lot of people were getting back on board at the same time so the line to get back on was about 100 yards long. Since it is a US territory Homeland Security rules apply and every person had to be checked against a photo ID.

I don't know the exact route from the airport to the cruise terminal, but just tell your cab driver that you'd like to stop at a Publix, Albertsons, or Winn Dixie. There has to be a bunch of them only a block or two from your route (or even on your route)

Thanks!

We had a 7:30 Chops reservation and got back on board a little after 7:00. We stopped at a few shops on the way back and didn't rush back. The bad thing was a lot of people were getting back on board at the same time so the line to get back on was about 100 yards long. Since it is a US territory Homeland Security rules apply and every person had to be checked against a photo ID.

Thanks WhiteSoxfan! Glad it doesn't really take that long to see some of the sights in San Juan. Maybe 4 hours or so it sounds like. I'm going to make a Chops reservation for about 8:30? to be safe. I already have one booked for the next night (Wed) which is surf night. We'll decide as it gets closer or after we board. We are not taking the kids 8-15 to Chops, so whichever night we do end up eating there, is a night they'll go to Windjammer alone. We found we really enjoyed the family dinners every night since we had a private table of 8 and our wait staff bent over backwards for us. So nice. Thanks again, Kathleen

This thread is so helpful. We're trying to plan our wedding and we're down to either freedom or liberty. Whats the difference and any advice on rooms with the most bang for the buck? And anything else you think might be helpful? ;)

This thread is so helpful. We're trying to plan our wedding and we're down to either freedom or liberty. Whats the difference and any advice on rooms with the most bang for the buck? And anything else you think might be helpful? ;)

There is no "real" difference between the two ships. The Freedom is one year older. The names of the public places are different. The interior color schemes are different. One ship sails on Saturday, the other sails on Sunday. The itineraries of each are similar, but different. For example, the Liberty goes to Mo-Bay in Jamaica, while the Freedom goes to Ocho Rios. There are differences in the eastern itineraries also.

Basically it is like looking at two new cars on the dealer's lot. Other than the color, both cars are the same. The same with the Freedom and the Liberty.

Gotta say that the JS was worth every penny with the extra space- especially if you are planning on spending some extra time in your stateroom :D

We were in 95623- right under hot tub- no noise at all- great location- its at the bump out- the balcony was so large we had the stewart bring us a lounge chair-- giving him $10 at the beginning on the cruise is well worth it-- you get everything you want-- right away-- also remember to have him empty the mini bar so you can put your stuff in it. I brought my own water--wasn't giving them $3.50 a bottle.. bought a whole case in Miami and put it in my luggage without a problem.

Did you put the case of water in your carry on or your checked bag?

Another question for you Freedom experts...

What is the area just behind the aft elevators on deck nine? Above (deck 10) is the conceirge lounge, and below (deck 8) is RCCL online, so what is the blank spot on deck 9?

Here is the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=09&shipCode=FR&shipProfile=1161&sailDate=1080525&hasNavigation=false

Thanks!

I think it's some type of mechanical room. There is a sign on the door that says something like "mechanical room", or "high voltage" or some such thing, I can't remember what it was exactly.

Another question for you Freedom experts...

What is the area just behind the aft elevators on deck nine? Above (deck 10) is the conceirge lounge, and below (deck 8) is RCCL online, so what is the blank spot on deck 9?

Here is the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=09&shipCode=FR&shipProfile=1161&sailDate=1080525&hasNavigation=false

Thanks!

Thank you. :) I always wondered where Jimmy Hoffa was buried.

I haven't a got a clue. :(

I have so been looking for a thread like this - so thanks to all the PP's who have posted their experiences and pictures! We will have our first RCCL experience in December 2009 but wanted to start "getting to know" the ship - so this thread is perfect.

We'll be staying in a D1 cabin for four people -- I haven't gone through all the pages here yet nor all the links, but DS#1 was wondering what the sofa bed looks like when it's folded out for the night -- and how much room it takes up. We'll be traveling with our two sons who will be 12 and 13 at the time so we figure we'll let them have twin beds while DH and I take the sofa bed. Anyone have a picture they could share or point me to?

Can't wait to finish reading through and studying up!

I have so been looking for a thread like this - so thanks to all the PP's who have posted their experiences and pictures! We will have our first RCCL experience in December 2009 but wanted to start "getting to know" the ship - so this thread is perfect.

We'll be staying in a D1 cabin for four people -- I haven't gone through all the pages here yet nor all the links, but DS#1 was wondering what the sofa bed looks like when it's folded out for the night -- and how much room it takes up. We'll be traveling with our two sons who will be 12 and 13 at the time so we figure we'll let them have twin beds while DH and I take the sofa bed. Anyone have a picture they could share or point me to?

Can't wait to finish reading through and studying up!

Wow, only 19 short months to go ...

SitRmbedopen-2.jpg

Wow, it's a little overwhelming. I haven't cruised in 3 years and I've just spent the last 3 hours reaquainting myself. Thanks to all of you who have shared your experiences and pictures. I have so many questions, I'm not sure where to start!

First, I am confused about the Cafe Promenade and the Pizza Place (Sorrentos?). Is the cost of the food there already included or do you pay for what you get there? I know that Ben and Jerry's is extra. Also, someone was nice enough to provide a kid's menu, is that for the Dining Room or the Cafe? And what is the MyTime Dining Room? Do you sign up for this ahead of time or can you just stop in if your regular sitting doesn't work out for you one night?

Can someone give an opinion about the shows and onboard activities? I'm looking for Don't Miss activies.

Kath- B - My family went to St. Thomas last year. We went on the Screamin' Eagle. It was so much fun that we're doing it again. But it is a little scary ( sharp turns and sudden stops) and you do get soaking wet. I don't know how your 9 year old would like it, if he doesn't like scary rides, he may be afraid, but the teenagers will love it. The ride is only about 40-45 minutes and there are some shops around the pier (for your sister-in-law and anyone that chooses to pass on the Screamin' Eagle). My family plans to get an early start there and then cab over to Magen's Bay.

Wow...now that's the sofa bed but NOT a D1 cabin, is it?? I just got my parents a D1 for next year, but I didn't think it was THAT big!

Its the only open sofa bed photo I have. And no, its not a D1 cabin. It is a RFS.

Wow, it's a little overwhelming. I haven't cruised in 3 years and I've just spent the last 3 hours reaquainting myself. Thanks to all of you who have shared your experiences and pictures. I have so many questions, I'm not sure where to start!

First, I am confused about the Cafe Promenade and the Pizza Place (Sorrentos?). Is the cost of the food there already included or do you pay for what you get there? I know that Ben and Jerry's is extra. Also, someone was nice enough to provide a kid's menu, is that for the Dining Room or the Cafe? And what is the MyTime Dining Room? Do you sign up for this ahead of time or can you just stop in if your regular sitting doesn't work out for you one night?

Can someone give an opinion about the shows and onboard activities? I'm looking for Don't Miss activies.

Kath- B - My family went to St. Thomas last year. We went on the Screamin' Eagle. It was so much fun that we're doing it again. But it is a little scary ( sharp turns and sudden stops) and you do get soaking wet. I don't know how your 9 year old would like it, if he doesn't like scary rides, he may be afraid, but the teenagers will love it. The ride is only about 40-45 minutes and there are some shops around the pier (for your sister-in-law and anyone that chooses to pass on the Screamin' Eagle). My family plans to get an early start there and then cab over to Magen's Bay.

All the food at Sorrentos and the Cafe Promenade is free, just walk up and order what you want.

We enjoyed the shows, the magic show is good. Don't miss The Quest. The 70's dance party on the promenade was a little too crowded for me.

We were on Mariner, not Freedom, but I have a comment about this:

I saw the same thing you did. Anyone who could carry all his own luggage was allowed to take advantage of express departure. HOWEVER, once we'd left the ship and entered the cruise terminal (where we went through customs), there were two lines -- one mile-long line was for people waiting for the elevator, one line for people who could go straight to the escalator. A terminal employee was dividing people into the lines based upon the size of their luggage. The rule was that you had to be able to HOLD your luggage on the escalator -- you could not let it "ride down" on a step. So people with those huge suitcases/multiple suitcases were shuttled over to the elevators (and I suspect they waited longer than people who had put their luggage out the night before -- that line was long, long long), while those of us who genuinely had only carry-ons only walked right on through to customs.

As I said, we were on Mariner in Port Canaveral, so the Freedom-Miami experience might be different . . . but we left the ship at 7:00 and were in our car pulling out of the parking lot at 7:28. We'd never been that fast before! I'm not sure I'd bank on being able to do it that fast again. We also had the good fortune to walk straight up to customs without a line.

With so many people starting to use express departure and long lines building up, I'd look for more regulations in the near future.

This is a great tip! We will probably have one large wheelie bag but if hardpressed my husband could put his arms through the handles and wear it like a backpack to get to the escalator. I would have the camera gear and other smaller items in a backpack and one of us could hand carry a bag with any purchases. We will be getting off and picking up a rental car for a road trip in the east coast.

There is a lot to like and a few things to dislike. Would I recommend this ship to those who have children? Yes. Would I recommend this ship to everyone? No.

For example, I would never invite my parents on this ship. Even a ship that is one third the size of the Freedom of the Seas would be too big for my parents.

Nonetheless, I can offer you my review, which discusses many of the pluses and a few of the minuses I found on my cruise. The link is below (and the review is fairly long) ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=30442

Cruizer2 - Thanks for the great objective review. It took me a week to get through this thread and I saved your review for last. My husband and I have only sailed Disney before so we are RCI virgins - after reading your review, I wish we would've picked a Voyager class ship instead of Freedom since we are also doing the Western itinerary. I'm sure it will still be a fabulous time though. Also, thanks to Mike for http://www.thepreismans.com/ - what a great web site! Thanks to everyone here for your opinions, photos, and advice!