A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

I would recommend that you contact Ship Services directly and ask. Although you are booked through a TA, Ship Services can assist you directly with gift orders. Also, can I ask what liquor? I ask because I really like Absolut Mandarin. While I'm unable to order it ahead of time (simply not a way in the system to charge for it) Absolut and Absolut Limon are available. As they are the same price, we know Mandarin would be too, and I just pre-order the Limon and ask if it's possible to trade it out for a different flavor once onboard. While it's completely dependent on the inventory available on the ship, taking the entire sailing into consideration, I have yet to run into an issue. (And in a case like this, the fact I am an employee is not weighted in the decision... in case someone would want to "go there") :)

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Since you asked, we like to have a premium bourbon, and the only one on the "Indulgences" menu is Jim Beam, I think. We have been able to order Bookers in the past, but we would also be happy with Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. Unfortunately, it's not the same as your case with the Absolut. At least I don't think so! If you have a recommendation, I am all ears.

It's just so weird that they have a great selection of other liquors, like gins and vodkas, but for bourbon there is only one choice and it is not that great. Since bourbon bars are becoming more popular than martini bars, I would have thought HAL would want to take advantage of that.

It's just so weird that they have a great selection of other liquors, like gins and vodkas, but for bourbon there is only one choice and it is not that great. Since bourbon bars are becoming more popular than martini bars, I would have thought HAL would want to take advantage of that.

Three mediocre gins is hardly a "great selection". No Tanqueray 10, no Hendricks, let alone anything fancier. On the other hand, they have a great selection of whiskeys, 12 at my count, including one bourbon and several scotch varieties.

Bourbon bars might be popular in the south, but martinis still rule the west coast (where HAL is based). Unfortunately they're misguided and drink vodka martinis, hence the lousy selection of gin.

What surprises me, with the number of Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Hawaiian, and other tropical destinations on HAL's itineraries, that they don't offer a better selection of rum than Myers and two colors of Bacardi. Since I like gin and she likes vodka, we're compromising on rum for our upcoming cruise. I'd rather drink a cheapo spiced rum like Capt. Morgan's than a cheapo Myer's or Bacardi, but that's unfortunately not an option even though spiced rum is the basis of the "Epic Spiced Daiquiris" on the bar menu, hence it must be aboard ship in quantity :confused:

Since I like gin and she likes vodka, we're compromising on rum for our upcoming cruise.

Ah! The new "new math"---

Gin + Vodka = Rum :D

If they had only taught it that way in school....

Ah! The new "new math"---

Gin + Vodka = Rum :D

If they had only taught it that way in school....

Never too late to go back to school :D This could give a new meaning to "Adult Education". Should be a prerequisite for every cruise.:D

Since you asked, we like to have a premium bourbon, and the only one on the "Indulgences" menu is Jim Beam, I think. We have been able to order Bookers in the past, but we would also be happy with Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. Unfortunately, it's not the same as your case with the Absolut. At least I don't think so! If you have a recommendation, I am all ears.

This is a list I was able to put together some time ago.

And the prices are still the same.

Price list that you can either order from Ship Services (1-800-541-1576) or from room service when you get on the ship or from HAL online under indulgences.

Note: 15% gratuity included:

Alcohol and Spirits -- the Alcohol bottles are 1 liter size.

VODKA: CHOPIN $70.15

VODKA: STOLICHNAYA $29.90

VODKA: ABSOLUT - CITRON $32.20

VODKA: SMIRNOFF $27.60

VODKA: SKYY $28.75

VODKA: ABSOLUT $32.20

VODKA: GREY GOOSE $69.00

VODKA: FINLANDIA $29.90

VODKA: BELVEDERE $70.15

VODKA: TANGUERAY STERLING $35.65

Kahlua $36.80

Vodka & Tonic Package $34.50

One bottle of Smirnoff or Stolichnaya, 3 Cans of Tonic Water

Bourbon & Coke Package $39.10

One bottle of Jim Beam, 3 Cans of Coke

Rum & Coke Package $39.10

One bottle of Bacardi, 3 cans of Coke

SHERRY: HARVEY'S MEDIUM no price found

SHERRY: TIO PEPE $57.50

TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO GOLD $34.50

COGNAC: HENNESSY VS $93.15

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN VSOP $97.75

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN XO $225.40

WHISKEY - IRISH: JAMESON $42.55

Cutty Sark $32.20

WHISKEY: CANADIAN CLUB $32.20

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS V.O. $29.90

WHISKEY: CROWN ROYAL $42.55

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS 7 $29.90

Scotch & Soda Package $36.80

One bottle of Cutty Sark, 3 Cans of Soda Water

Gin & Tonic Package $36.80

One bottle Beefeaters Gin, 3 Cans of Tonic Water

6-pack Bud Light domestic beer no price found

6-pack Miller Lite domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Amstel Light imported beer $23.00

6-pack Corona imported beer $23.00

6-pack Miller Genuine Draft domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Heineken imported beers $23.00

Sherry Harvey's Med - $57.50

6pack (Domestic) Budweiser, Bud Light - $21.85

3 X soft drinks (any soda) - $4.89

All minibar Liquor Items, each - $5.69

Missed Whiskey/Scotch:

Jim Beam - $34.50

J&B Rare, Johnnie Walker Red - $36.80

Ballentine's - $40.25

Dewars - $48.30

Jack Daniels - $55.20

Chivas Regal (12yrs) - $66.70

Johnnie Walker Black - $77.05

GIN:

Beefeater - $32.20

Tanqueray - $41.40

Bombay Sapphire - $42.55

LIQUEURS:

Kahlua, Southern Comfort - $36.80

Bailey's Irish Cream - $46.00

Sambuca (Opal Nera Black) - $47.15

Tia Maria - $49.45

Amaretto - $51.75

Cointreau - $55.20

Drambuie - $58.65

Grand Marnier - $74.75

RUM:

Myers - $32.20

Bacardi Gold - $34.50

Bacardi White - $35.65

It's a combination of hurricane season in the summer and the popularity of Alaska and Europe.

Is it possible that there may be a year round deployment to the Caribbean someday? Of course as anything is possible. Haven't heard anything about it though. And right now I'd prefer to see Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska so I can visit her every weekend... ;)

Dear DBA: I am so sorry I am late in responding to your post and would probably say nothing except that I must comment on your remark about the Nieuw Amsterdam.

That is the ship I would like to see in the Caribbean. As for her going to Alaska:

I'll drink to that. May favorite Ship is the AMSTERDAM and right behind in second place is my favorite large ship: THE NIEUW AMSTERDAM.

The Malt Shop Memories Cruise 2012 is going to be held on the Eurodam October 27, 2012 - It is supposidly a Full Ship Charter - can I book this cruise directly through Holland??????

Charters must be booked through the charter company. They would essentially be your travel agent for this cruise

DBA, I don't think you function on the same level as the Azamara rep on these boards, but we are about to embark on our first HA cruise in Feb., on the Zaandam and are thinking of cancelling. Would you have a look at this thread and give your thoughts? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1451020 Thanks

With the size of our fleet and the daily guest counts, you're right. We don't have someone that roams the boards at this time, but of course anyone is invited to contact Guest Relations after their cruise assuming the issues were brought to the attention of onboard staff and couldn't be resolved during the sailing itself.

I wouldn't be able to comment on past sailing issues that other guests report on, nor would anyone else in the corporate office as we would only be able to address "your" specific experience. However I can tell you that staff do everything possible to alleviate any issues reported and that while there are those that unfortunately may have a less than stellar experience, the majority of our guests sail without any kind of incident.

I will be honest, I'm not reading the link you have posted although I appreciate it. It simply wouldn't serve a purpose as I'm not in a position to comment on a different guest's specific experience. I would hope they contact our Guest Relations department if they are interested in seeking a resolution though

Hmm...

Not being familiar with that area of liquors personally, I would recommend that you speak with our ShipS ervices department, with the ship's rep directly and see if it's possible to special request a bottle. If it's not in the system, they may have a way to charge you for it.

Otherwise, they may have some solutions they can suggest that I am not that familiar with. I would imagine a situation of "you offer a lot, but not the one I like even though you have it on the ship" so there MAY also be a work around of sorts.

If there isn't, keep in mind that the beverage cards carry a built in 10% off ($50 for $45 and $100 for $90) so it would reduce the cost a little bit. If you use a mixer of any kind and it's available through the soda card you get $50 for $25 there so that would save you a little as well.

Hope there's a solution SOMEWHERE in all that for you :)

Good luck!

Good Morning

Could you please post the Captain and crew list for the Sept.24th cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific returning to San diego' date=' and if there is a change following the short cruise from Seattle to SD.

Many thanks[/quote']

I can't post full lists and I only show the captain THROUGH that approximate date at this time. Closer to sailing I would likely have more info on the Captain.

You're scheduled for an awesome cruise. Hope you have a blast!

DBA,

I'm booked on the Maasdam's Atlantic Adventurer r/t Port Everglades on October 28th. Would you be able to tell me who the Captain would be on this 45-day cruise. Thanks.

As with the above reply, this information is not yet available, but again, VERY envious of your itinerary. You picked a great one! :)

That equation is faulty.

Everyone knows it's actually (Gin + Vodka) / 2 = Rum

We NEED twice as much Rum because there are so many cocktails that can be mixed from it ! ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

r.

PS: Ruth always gets it right

DBA - WE are going to be on the Oosterdam for the repositioning cruise plus the 7 day Mexican Riveria cruise October 4th to 15th, 2011. I have just learned the Oosterdam we be in for repairs and sprucing up. My questions are, will there be any delays in boarding on the 4th due to more inspections because of the repositioning aspect or fresh out of dry/wet dock. Do you know if any HAL HQ brass will be on this sailing Will HQ want to see for themselves the updated Oosterdam because some people say it might be getting old and worn.

Thanks for your comments in advance,

JCH

DBA - WE are going to be on the Oosterdam for the repositioning cruise plus the 7 day Mexican Riveria cruise October 4th to 15th, 2011. I have just learned the Oosterdam we be in for repairs and sprucing up. My questions are, will there be any delays in boarding on the 4th due to more inspections because of the repositioning aspect or fresh out of dry/wet dock. Do you know if any HAL HQ brass will be on this sailing Will HQ want to see for themselves the updated Oosterdam because some people say it might be getting old and worn.

Thanks for your comments in advance,

JCH

The only projects I'm aware of onboard are routine items. Carpets, engine maintenance and so forth... things that can't really be done properly (or at all) if guests were onboard.

With any coastals there's always a chance you could meet someone from the HQ... after all, they all start in our backyard (SEA or YVR). Of course you could always meet someone from the HQ on a Europe, South America, Australia or Asia cruise as well :D

End of the day, Oosterdam IS an 8 year old ship, but I was on her very recently (and posted photos on the blog) and I found her to be in the same great shape she's always been in, and I have sailed on her NUMEROUS times.

Hope you have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

We love Holland America, but just returned from a Princess Cruise to Alaska. I discovered that ALL Princess Ships are now offering Zumba on board--for free! Princess does not set it in the gym as an exercise program. Instead one of their dancers teaches the class in a lounge. It makes the offering similar to any other dance lesson class. I was told that Holland America has a contract with another company to cover all activities in their gyms. Using Princess' technique that company wouldn't have to be involved in the Zumba classes.

We are going on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise next summer (2012) on the Maasdam. I don't want to give up Zumba for all that time. It's just too much fun and such great aerobic exercise! Great way to work off the calories from all the yummy food on board too!!

After reading a number of threads on Cruise Critic, I know that there are a lot of other cruisers like me looking for Zumba. If Princess offers Zumba on all their ships, so should Holland America!!! Can you help with any suggestions on how to make this happen?!!

Thanks!!!!:)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi we are booked in SA suite for Zuiderdam for our upcoming cruise I know as passenger in SA ( suites ) we are entitle to earlier disembarkation , can anyone tell me please at what time we can get of the ship ( the earliest ), last cruise we were able to leave at 8 am, the reason I am asking the flight on return is at 11 :20 am , DH thinks it will give us plenty of time to get to the airport if we leave the ship before 8 am , we know the Zuiderdam arrives to FLL at 7 am do they begin to disembark at 7 am or 7 :30 am:confused:, can you tell me from your experience please at what will be the earliest time we will be able to disembark on our final day we usually take the plane at 12 pm noon but this time there is not longer 12 ( noon flight) only 11 :20 am :rolleyes:, we are thinking we should be fine to get to airport before if we can leave the ship by 7 :30 or 8 am the latest I know that as soon as we exit ship after customs , should be very easy to get a taxi at the curb and it is only 10 minute ride to FLL airport , waiting for all of your replies :)

Hi we are booked in SA suite for Zuiderdam for our upcoming cruise I know as passenger in SA ( suites ) we are entitle to earlier disembarkation , can anyone tell me please at what time we can get of the ship ( the earliest ), last cruise we were able to leave at 8 am, the reason I am asking the flight on return is at 11 :20 am , DH thinks it will give us plenty of time to get to the airport if we leave the ship before 8 am , we know the Zuiderdam arrives to FLL at 7 am do they begin to disembark at 7 am or 7 :30 am:confused:, can you tell me from your experience please at what will be the earliest time we will be able to disembark on our final day we usually take the plane at 12 pm noon but this time there is not longer 12 ( noon flight) only 11 :20 am :rolleyes:, we are thinking we should be fine to get to airport before if we can leave the ship by 7 :30 or 8 am the latest I know that as soon as we exit ship after customs , should be very easy to get a taxi at the curb and it is only 10 minute ride to FLL airport , waiting for all of your replies :)

IF all has gone well -- ship not late -- ship is cleared by the local authorities right away, etc., -- the self disembarkation people will be the first ones to leave the ship -- most times this starts around 7:30. So if you are able to carry ALL your suitcases and carry-ons and etc., off the ship yourself -- you can be in this group. Regular disembarkation starts around 8:15.

You don't have to be a suite passenger to get off early, as KK states, if you are willing to do self disembarkation, you can be the first ones off the ship. That is what we have done for years now.

Kirk

Archived