Solstice Hump Cabins Obstructed by "X"

Mysticks1

There has been some discussion lately concerning the "hump" cabins and which ones have part of the "X" on the glass. I took the attached photo taken by Aquahound and the deck layouts and put together a list of cabin numbers on the Port Side and how much of the "X" seems to show on those balconies.

DISCLAIMER: I am not guaranteeing the accuracy but this should give an idea of those that are affected. Post if you know any are listed incorrectly.

For those looking for starboard cabins, just find the cabin on the port side opposite from yours as it should be a mirror image.

2915174000080150150S600x600Q85.jpg.b413c9d5f34adc71b7be86ea4e762597.jpg

Solstice Hump Cabins X Obstruction.pdf

Thanks for the list which printed out well . You really put alot of time into this.....& it is appreciated!.

For our next cruise on Solstice we have a forward facing angled balcony hump (9209 on the port side) so I am assuming it is Ok-- that'd be a funny looking X if it was affected..

We have been moving away from humps anyhow (have one more on Radiance of the Seas) as they have been priced as premium cabins--we will survive being a few cabins in front of the hump... which is what we booked for Equinox....that will avoid the issue!

Donna, thanks for more of your great work. But, just a question, am I missing something or are all the cabins on your pdf starboard side cabins (right side and even numbers), not portside (left side and odd numbers)?

You are absolutely correct. I did have my rights and lefts or starboards and ports backwards in that post. :p I didn't really see a need to do both sides and I don't have a photo of the other side to use.

We were on a B2B on the Soltice in March. We were not lucky enough to get the same room for both weeks of our cruise so we stayed in two the hump cabins which were 4 rooms apart from each other.

The first week we were on a balcony with no "X" on the glass, but the second week we were part of the "X". However, you can still see through the glass, it is just like a tinted glass window in a car or a building. We had no problem with it. I know it may bother some people, but it just wasn't a big deal for us. We didn't really consider the balcony obstructed at all as we could still sit on our balcony and see everything down to the water. We were on the 8th floor.

We were on a B2B on the Soltice in March. We were not lucky enough to get the same room for both weeks of our cruise so we stayed in two the hump cabins which were 4 rooms apart from each other.

The first week we were on a balcony with no "X" on the glass, but the second week we were part of the "X". However, you can still see through the glass, it is just like a tinted glass window in a car or a building. We had no problem with it. I know it may bother some people, but it just wasn't a big deal for us. We didn't really consider the balcony obstructed at all as we could still sit on our balcony and see everything down to the water. We were on the 8th floor.

Marc & Jan, Thanks for that info as we have just booked 9278 and 9280 for a Feb cruise. Can you confirm that the X colour is only on the balcony edge windows, and not the opening doors from the cabin?

Can anyone else advise how big the opening is if you remove the connecting door on adjacent balconies?

Marc & Jan, Thanks for that info as we have just booked 9278 and 9280 for a Feb cruise. Can you confirm that the X colour is only on the balcony edge windows, and not the opening doors from the cabin?

Can anyone else advise how big the opening is if you remove the connecting door on adjacent balconies?

The tinted color is only on the balcony, not on the sliding glass doors. If you opened the connecting door on the balcony it just folds back on itself so only a little sticks out. You have plenty of room to go back and forth.

Thanks for the list which printed out well . You really put alot of time into this.....& it is appreciated!.

For our next cruise on Solstice we have a forward facing angled balcony hump (9209 on the port side) so I am assuming it is Ok-- that'd be a funny looking X if it was affected..

We have been moving away from humps anyhow (have one more on Radiance of the Seas) as they have been priced as premium cabins--we will survive being a few cabins in front of the hump... which is what we booked for Equinox....that will avoid the issue!

You are correct, there is nothing on the angled balconies. :) Actually putting together this list didn't take much time at all.

Although the cabin that I have booked is not affected, it does seem a stretch to call it obstructed. But it is different and it is always good to know exactly what you are getting. For future reference, was it noticeable enough that you would rather have the balcony without the X? Would you rather have a hump balcony with the X instead of a non hump balcony without the X? Your experience makes you the ideal person for providing feedback. I saw a pictures several months that looked a lot different than the one shown in this thread. Perhaps the sun or flash makes a big difference in the pictures. Thanks.

Although the cabin that I have booked is not affected, it does seem a stretch to call it obstructed. But it is different and it is always good to know exactly what you are getting. I agree, it's always better to be informed, no surprises that way. I just didn't want anyone to panic if they discover that they have already booked one of these balconies. It's different, but not necessarily bad. For future reference, was it noticeable enough that you would rather have the balcony without the X? Yes, if given the choice I would rather have one without the X just because the water looks bluer :) Would you rather have a hump balcony with the X instead of a non hump balcony without the X? DEFINITELY! Your experience makes you the ideal person for providing feedback. I saw a pictures several months that looked a lot different than the one shown in this thread. Perhaps the sun or flash makes a big difference in the pictures. Thanks.

Even when off the ship the X always appeared different. Sometimes you could barely see the X, sometimes it looked like a mirror and sometimes it looked dark. You are correct when you say the sun might make a difference, it seemed in different lights it looked different, and also it depended on where you were standing and which angle you were looking at the ship.

I am sure that I read on these boards that the X does not spoil your view when on the balcony. Isnt the X supposed to be transparent when you are on the balcony?

Perhaps, somebody who has been on a balcony with the X could verify this.

I am sure that I read on these boards that the X does not spoil your view when on the balcony. Isnt the X supposed to be transparent when you are on the balcony?

From Post #7 above:

Some reported that from the early cruises but it seems that the material that is there was changed so that it would show better. I had posted a photo from Aquahound in another thread (on my laptop at home) that clearly showed that in sunlight the "X" was reflective on the inside and you could definately not see through it. You could clearly see the balcony divider reflected in it. I will try to remember to post it again here when I get home.

Some reported that from the early cruises but it seems that the material that is there was changed so that it would show better. I had posted a photo from Aquahound in another thread (on my laptop at home) that clearly showed that in sunlight the "X" was reflective on the inside and you could definately not see through it. You could clearly see the balcony divider reflected in it. I will try to remember to post it again here when I get home.

Our cruise was a B2B from March 16 to Mar 29th, and we could see through it just fine, but I don't know when it may have been changed. So if Mysticks1 means it was changed after March 29th (we were in the X cabin the second week) than disregard what I've posted. There was definitely a reflection in the glass with the coating, but we could still see through it.

Our cruise was a B2B from March 16 to Mar 29th, and we could see through it just fine, but I don't know when it may have been changed. So if Mysticks1 means it was changed after March 29th (we were in the X cabin the second week) than disregard what I've posted. There was definitely a reflection in the glass with the coating, but we could still see through it.

If I remember correctly it was within the first 2 months of sailing. It was very clear at that time. I think it depends upon the angle of the sun as to how reflective it is. Like I said in the photo that I have saved you can't see through it at all and that is what was reported by Aquahound. I just want everyone to know which cabins are affected by it. I myself would not want to book one that is completely covered by it.

Donna, In bright sunlight any window can reflect an image of what is in front of it, and obviously if you add a dark partially reflective covering it will tend to increase the problem, and at different angles the reflection will also appear worse.

Anyway in the absence of anyone other than Marc & Jan to give us a subjective view, you will have to wait until my Feb 2010 cruise, then I will report back.

But even it is really annoying I expect that I will be able to find something to take my mind off the problem, and after one or two aperatifs I imagine that the X will pale into total insignificance.

Here are photos(taken by Aquahound) so that you can judge for yourself whether or not you consider this to be acceptable or not on your balcony glass.

Here is the full "X"

2915174000080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is the photo showing the glass with part of the "X" from the inside. Notice how everything is reflected and you can't see through it. You can clearly see the balcony divider and the chair in the reflection.

Cabin9223Solstice.jpg

This was very helpful; thank you. That mirrored balcony would drive me crazy; for me the hump cabins have gone from "most wanted" to "ones to avoid" (except those on the corners; they look great.

Donna - I see what you mean, but I promise you I sat on our balcony and could see the ocean through it (or the ports when we were docked). And we had one of the ones that was fully covered with the X.

I didn't take any pictures of the balcony, just our rooms so I have no way to prove it but I just asked my husband and he agrees, it was just like looking through tinted glass. We sat out there almost every afternoon and it was in full sun most of the time when we were out there.

Just wondering, could that picture be when they had first applied the film and hadn't pulled off the front yet or something. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I just can't believe the difference from that picture and what we saw while onboard Solstice. :confused:

Donna - I see what you mean, but I promise you I sat on our balcony and could see the ocean through it onboard Solstice. :confused:

Ditto! We had no problem either.

Donna - I see what you mean, but I promise you I sat on our balcony and could see the ocean through it (or the ports when we were docked). And we had one of the ones that was fully covered with the X.

I didn't take any pictures of the balcony, just our rooms so I have no way to prove it but I just asked my husband and he agrees, it was just like looking through tinted glass. We sat out there almost every afternoon and it was in full sun most of the time when we were out there.

Just wondering, could that picture be when they had first applied the film and hadn't pulled off the front yet or something. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I just can't believe the difference from that picture and what we saw while onboard Solstice. :confused:

That one was taken about a month to 6 weeks ago so since you cruised in March.

Out of interest, which was your cabin?

Archived