Princess moving to anytime dining only?

VTSnorkeler

Just booked the CB for 01/31/2010 and my TA said that they were 99% certain that Princess was only going to be offering anytime dining in the Caribbean starting Jan 2010. I reluctantly chose this option but I prefer the early seating for the same reasons most people that prefer early do.

My question is has anyone else heard of this? Should I call my TA and ask for the early seating?

This is the first I've heard of this rumour. I would be very surprised if it's true because a lot of people seem to really enjoy the traditional dining mode and would be disappointed if it were to be cancelled.

Just booked the CB for 01/31/2010 and my TA said that they were 99% certain that Princess was only going to be offering anytime dining in the Caribbean starting Jan 2010. I reluctantly chose this option but I prefer the early seating for the same reasons most people that prefer early do.

My question is has anyone else heard of this? Should I call my TA and ask for the early seating?

I haven't heard any word of this taking effect anywhere. Rumors always abound, but nothing concrete. I would call your TA back, request the seating you prefer, and if they do change the policy, you aren't out anything. But if you wait, assigned dining is liable to be filled and if things don't change they you won't be able to switch later on. Good Luck!

Ask your TA why, then, Princess is still taking bookings for Traditional dining in the Caribbean for all of 2010 and into 2011. I just checked the CB up to May of 2011 and Traditional dining is an option for booking. I cannot imagine they will suddenly stop.

I think your TA is 100% wrong !!!

I am going to give the TA the benefit of the doubt here and say the TA is only 99.9% wrong. ;)

With so many of us working with TA's and so many TA's that post here on CC, If something like this was honestly in the works, we would have gotten a few comments about this upcoming change by now.

I always read about waitlists for Traditional Seating, so it must be popular....

Can't imagine why Princess would eliminate this all together.

If there is an option for the Traditional Seating that you prefer, I would absolutely book that preference right away. : )

(PS: more tables in Anytime for cruisers like me!!!)

I can't imagine Princess doing this but then again, I never thought other cruise lines would begin anytime, my time, your time dining.

If Traditional dining is so unpopular, why does it fill up so fast?

Bob

Good question, yet, you always read posts about SO many empty tables or a couple being alone so many times throughout their cruise on a table for 10.

I am going to give the TA the benefit of the doubt here and say the TA is only 99.9% wrong. ;)
ROFL!! I agree. There are always long waitlists for Traditional dining on every single cruise (never seen an exception) so I don't think they'd do away with something that so many passengers really want.

If your TA is that sure, I'd get a new TA since they obviously aren't very knowledgeable about Princess. Giving out "information" like that as fact is unprofessional.

Total anytime dining is just not true. We booked a cruise for 2011 on the Ruby Princess and were asked if we wanted early, late or anytime. We originally booked late and that's what our confirmation stated. Since we went on the Golden last month and tried anytime dining we came back and asked our TA to switch us over for 2011. But it absolutely is still available for then, so don't worry.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that just because you can select traditional for future cruises that this means they won't change it to total anytime (since they can change anything else about the cruise, including cancelling it).

But I agree that with the popularity of traditional, it doesn't make sense to get rid of it. They would still have 1000-1500 people showing up at 6 and they'd have to be seated, instead of just walking to the table they already know. I can't see the cruise line wanting to create that kind of work.

Good question, yet, you always read posts about SO many empty tables or a couple being alone so many times throughout their cruise on a table for 10.

Just as the OP's TA "forced" him/her into Anytime, some TAs will force people into Traditional Fixed, especially first time cruisers who may not know about the choices.

Once they are on board, they realize traditional fixed is not what they want. This is what can result in the empty tables.

Also, some people prefer to eat in the dining room only on formal nights and use the buffet the other nights. This can result in the empty seats for most of the nights.

I can't imagine Princess doing this but then again, I never thought other cruise lines would begin anytime, my time, your time dining.

If they do change to anytime I think it would be because of all the empty tables in traditional and people sitting by themselves at their tables. I think the traditional dining option is abused by a lot of passengers.

WCC

If you like traditional seating and if it right now it is being offered on your particular cruise why not book traditional now instead of relying a TA that heard a rumor. That way if the rumor is false you get what you want. If it is true then you are just reassigned to anytime dining.

It seems unlikely that traditional dining times would go away. It's easier on the cruise line & galley to coordinate meals for a bunch of folks at fixed times.

Anytime dining is actually harder to execute, but it's enough of a selling point for some and enough people have asked for it that it's become a reality.

I booked 9 months before my Sept.cruise and only cleared the waitlist for early traditional

a month ago. I definitely wouldn't wait to request it. It's a lot easier to change to

anytime than the reverse.

The lack of a traditional fixed dining option is one of several reasons we'd never book NCL. I know some people love anytime dining but if that were my only option, I'd skip Princess. Since this is the first place anyone has heard of it, I think your TA is mistaken.

With so many of us working with TA's and so many TA's that post here on CC, If something like this was honestly in the works, we would have gotten a few comments about this upcoming change by now.

Toto, you crack me up.:D

Just as the OP's TA "forced" him/her into Anytime, some TAs will force people into Traditional Fixed, especially first time cruisers who may not know about the choices.

Once they are on board, they realize traditional fixed is not what they want. This is what can result in the empty tables.

I agree that TAs may force people into fixed seating but this probably happens rarely since there is usually a waitlist. I think the issue is more with passengers who are aware of both options, request traditional and then take advantage of anytime as they please once on board.

My point is that just maybe traditional is not as popular as some believe or want to believe.

I for one like traditional dining. I would rethink booking with princess if they made this change. Not saying they cant or wont but just that I would miss it and I would probably book with a company with traditional. However, I am sure Princess does not care about my opinion and will do that which makes the most cents. (no that is not a spelling error.:p)

John

I agree that TAs may force people into fixed seating but this probably happens rarely since there is usually a waitlist. I think the issue is more with passengers who are aware of both options, request traditional and then take advantage of anytime as they please once on board.

My point is that just maybe traditional is not as popular as some believe or want to believe.

I have to disagree, I feel the TA may not want to deal with the witlist issue in Trad and just sticks them in anytime.

I also think trad is even more popular now with all the anytime issues of having to wait.

This happened to us!! A table for eight and one other couple joined us and they spoke VERY little english...and we didn't speak their language either...very awkward, but we didn't feel comfortable just leaving them.

Usually we enjoy meeting new people & this has only happened once.

Jan

Archived