Bread in Windjammer

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what the bread is that my wife Marie usually eats at breakfast in Windjammer. I think it is a brioche bread, looks like it may have some dried fruit on the crust, possibly cranberries. It is offered sliced in the Windjammer with the rolls.

Anyone know what it is and is there a recipe handy?

thanks

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what the bread is that my wife Marie usually eats at breakfast in Windjammer. I think it is a brioche bread, looks like it may have some dried fruit on the crust, possibly cranberries. It is offered sliced in the Windjammer with the rolls.

Anyone know what it is and is there a recipe handy?

thanks

I like that bread, too. Is this it (from an old thread)?

Here you go. This is what is the raisin and cranberry AUSTRIAN STRIEZEL that igot2cruz calls what you want.

AUSTRIAN STRIEZEL

2 (¼ -ounce or 7 g) packages dry yeast

1 tablespoon (15 g) sugar 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rum

1 cup (250 ml) water, lukewarm

2 pounds (900 g) all-purpose flour

¼ teaspoon (1.2 g) salt

½ cup (120 ml) milk

4 eggs

½ cup (120 g) butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract

Zest of ½ lemon

½ cup (120 g) raisins

½ cup (120 g) dried cranberries

1 egg yolk, beaten

Garnish - slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 400F or 200C.

1.To prepare dough, combine yeast, sugar and ½ cup (120 ml) water in a bowl and whisk until yeast has dissolved. In a stand mixer or a large bowl, combine all ingredients except raisins and cranberries and mix for 2 minutes at low speed, then for 8 minutes at high speed using a dough hook. The dough should be soft and elastic.

2.If kneading by hand, add flour a cup (250 g) at a time and knead for 10 minutes. Add raisins and cranberries to dough and mix well. Shape dough into a ball.

3.Cover and set aside in a warm, draft-free place for 20 minutes.

4.Punch down dough and divide into 1 pound (450 g) loaves. Cover and allow to relax for 20 minutes.

5.Cut dough into 3 equal pieces and hand roll each dough into 12-inch by 4-inch strip (30 x 10 cm).

6.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with nonstick spray. Transfer rolls to the baking sheet and braid,tucking the ends under.Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.

7.Brush braids with egg yolk and let rise for another 10 minutes. Brush a second time and sprinkle with slivered almonds.

8.Bake for 20 minutes, until nicely golden or until loaves sound hollow when their undersides are thumped.

Serves 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by JoyMouse

You have just made my year. I like this lightly toasted and drowning in butter. But I thought it was crusted with crushed sugar cubes not almonds.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sugar is cheaper than almonds, perhaps? Here's the whole thread. Someone adjusted the recipe for bread machines further down in the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1447258

I eat in the Windjammer every morning just so I can have that bread with my fresh cooked eggs over medium! One morning that bread tray was EMPTY! I asked the head guy in charge of the WJ if there was any more and he brought 3 pieces of freshly sliced, warm pieces to my table. OMG, it was so good! In 11 more days I'll be enjoying some more of that wonderful bread!

My favorite thing! Others can have their honey stung chicken or roast beef sandwiches, this is my cruise food thing. But gasp and horror, they ran out on the Anthem in April and went to a bread with just raisins and no crystallized sugar. I was never so glad to get off a cruise and write my letter of complaint to Mr. Bartley.

(Last sentence is a joke, just in case you couldn't tell!)

Thanks very much for the recipe.

Do A Google Search For German Stollen

Pretty Close...

Had it every Christmas growing up...

Dennis & Sue

Yeah I called it stollen because it was very reminiscent of what my grandfather always made

As posted by others above, this bread is an Austrian bread called "Striezel"—German Stollen is quite different. I'm a big fan of RCI's breads, and particularly the Striezel at breakfast.

I'm going to have to find this in the WJ when we sail on Harmony!! Do they offer it at lunch and dinner as well?

I've only seen it at breakfast....and you can't get it from room service either...I've tried several times...it's sooooo good...my favorite bread of all!

I've only seen it at breakfast....and you can't get it from room service either...I've tried several times...it's sooooo good...my favorite bread of all!

You can get it from room service, if you use your daughter for room service[emoji4]

I used to see this bread in the windjammer all the time but never tried it because it didn't look like something I would like. However on our last cruise they must have run out of danish to put on our room service bread plate, so they included a slice of this bread. I decided to try it and fell in love!!! I had to go to the Windjammer to grab some of it each morning after that.

Can't wait to have some again in 19 days!!

The bread in question is DH's favorite bread on RCI! He discovered it a few cruises ago, on the second to last day if you can believe it! He stocked up!

For breakfast breads/pastries, my favorite is the little danish with the raspberry jam filling. I have one every single morning on board.

I'm going to have to find this in the WJ when we sail on Harmony!! Do they offer it at lunch and dinner as well?

No, just at breakfast in the Windjammer. I think I have occasionally seen it offered in the MDR at breakfast but not always. At dinner they have pumpkin seed rolls and cheese rolls which are also yummy.