I wonder why?

Dolebludger

I wonder why Regent doesn't offer REAL first class air upgrades on their cruises -- all the way from their "hubs" to the port. As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Regent's reasonably priced first class air upgrades apply only to international flight segments. Now, frankly, those who book a Regent cruise don't want any part of their trip to be "economy class". If one is looking for any part of the vacation to be "economy class" one doesn't book Regent -- one just stays home. And it seems that cruise line tickets aren't upgradable with "points" or with any reasonable amount of cash through the airlines.

Some of us want first class air from Regent's "hubs" all the way to the port. And on some Regent cruises like "Miami to Miami" that is half way around the US. And for others is is all the way across the US. The credit we get for booking our own air (first class) and rejecting Regent's so called "free air" is miniscule.

I think that Regent's management has just not experienced how miserable economy class air in the US is, and has not realized that one booking a Regent cruise is the type that wants no part of it. That is, the type of traveler that would rather stay home than endure it.

Now, before anybody criticizes me for being a snob or such, let me say that we used to cruise Regent very frequently back when a seven day cruise was about $2500 pp, and back when economy air was not so miserable. And that was only back in the earlier 2000s. Now with Regent's fares at 2X to 3X more and with economy class air with less legroom than the back seat of my Honda S 2000 (hint, it doesn't have a back seat), we just stay home more often, or take trips by another means.

Yes, it would be good if Regent would give us the fewest number of connections possible in their "free air". For us, in Durango CO, we know we have to get ourselves to either Denver or Dallas (two of Regent's "hubs") and that is not a problem for us. We understand that. But once we get to one of these hubs, we would simply like to have a reasonable FC upgrade from Regent that would lake us FC all the way to ANY departure port, and get us back FC to one of these hubs FC all the way.

For example, we have a simple Miami to Miami cruise on Regent booked around March, 2017. For that, there is no FC upgrade offered by Regent for the legs between either Denver or Dallas to and from Miami, because their FC upgrades apply only to international flight legs. And the amount by which they discount our cruise fare for not using their "free" economy air is very minimal. We can't upgrade these legs with "points", according to the airlines. And we can't even upgrade with cash, because cruise lines book their air on some airline program that is not capable of upgrade. It is cheaper for us to just take Regent's minimal cruse fare credit and do our own air -- if we don't wan't to be crammed into a cattle car.

And if we booked a Regent cruise that did involve international flights and bought the FC upgrade, it would not give us FC for legs that were only domestic. Those domestic legs would be "cattle car" with, again, no way for us to upgrade them to FC.

Half of this problem with the airlines and the way they structure their fares, giving non- upgradable rates to cruise lines. But half of the problem is Regent's practice of advertising "free air" without also stating that it cannot be upgraded in any way. Regent needs to recognize that its guests do not want any part of their trip to be "cattle car". If they did, they would cruise Carnival or something like it.

Here is another example of the problem. In 2015, we took a Regent cruise from Tahiti to Peru. We bought the FC upgrade, and it was clear that we would have to get to Denver on our own, so no problem with that. But from Denver, there was a "cattle car" leg to LA that was not upgradable to FC. On our return to Denver from Peru, it was a direct flight from Lima, and because it was international it was FC. And the Regent rep had to do some deep research to find the fine print to justify why the Denver to LA leg was not FC. Sort of buried in very fine print.

My point here is simple. Regent advertises "free air" from designated hubs. And it offers FC for a charge. One who buys the FC should have it from and back to that hub. And reasonable FC upgrade needs to be offered by Regent when the only air travel involved is domestic.

I'm a bit unsure why the reference is about "First Class" as Regent offers Business Class. In any case, we do not want to fly coach - even across the U.S. So, when we need to fly into or out of Miami, for instance, we take a 50% credit on our air and put the money towards booking our own First Class flight.

We usually deviate in order to book non-U.S. airlines. When we fly British Airways, Lufthansa or any other non-U.S. carrier, they do not make stops in the U.S. and therefore the flights are Business Class all the way.

We were told a long time ago that when you fly the same airline within the U.S. and then it connects to an international flight that you will be in First or Business Class (depending upon the plane). This was the case when we flew out of Rio with a stop in the U.S. before flying home.

While I have no idea why Regent books coach when flying in the U.S., my guess is that the airlines do not offer reasonable contracts to Regent on their domestic flights. Also, many domestic carriers do not have Business Class - only First Class and there are too few seats (Regent contracts are only for a limited number of seats per flight).

From our experience here in the U.K. The connecting flights from regional U.K. Airports to Heathrow are all booked as Domestic. There are no first class options with the internal flights. However the lounge access and baggage allowance is always classed for the long haul flight status be in First Class or Business Class. Jean.

We were told a long time ago that when you fly the same airline within the U.S. and then it connects to an international flight that you will be in First or Business Class (depending upon the plane). This was the case when we flew out of Rio with a stop in the U.S. before flying home.

This explains our 1st class domestic flight on AA after a biz flight from Lima on AA.

This explains our 1st class domestic flight on AA after a biz flight from Lima on AA.

It works the same way with award flights. If you book an international business class flight any domestic leg will be in first (assuming there's no business class cabin which there usually isn't.)

We don't take Regent Air for this reason. Either we just pay somewhat more than the air allowance to get the business class flights we want (after applying the allowance credit it's generally preferable to book our own flights) or we use frequent flier miles for free tickets or upgrades.

My reference to "first class" is probably in error, in light of current "airline jargon" that defines classes of seating. From our experience, very few planes have FC in addition to Business class, so I probably should have used the term "business class".

It's the fare class that Regent gets via the airline system/consortium.

We have learned and have the opportunity to use international carriers so that we do not stop in the US. Any plane transfers are done overseas.

We have a few flights we take from the US and then make connections that guarantee we will have the bulk of our time in the air in BC.

Okay, I'll bite, what is S2000?🐱

From the OPs first post. :)

And I miss my Miata. 😥

I always said the S2000 was like a Miata on steroids. That extra 100hp was a blast. DW wanted another Miata but I couldn't fit...hence the S2000.

I wonder why Regent doesn't offer REAL first class air upgrades on their cruises -- all the way from their "hubs" to the port. As I understand it (and I could be wrong) Regent's reasonably priced first class air upgrades apply only to international flight segments. Now, frankly, those who book a Regent cruise don't want any part of their trip to be "economy class". If one is looking for any part of the vacation to be "economy class" one doesn't book Regent -- one just stays home. And it seems that cruise line tickets aren't upgradable with "points" or with any reasonable amount of cash through the airlines.

Some of us want first class air from Regent's "hubs" all the way to the port. And on some Regent cruises like "Miami to Miami" that is half way around the US. And for others is is all the way across the US. The credit we get for booking our own air (first class) and rejecting Regent's so called "free air" is miniscule. .

I so agree. We were about to reserve a cruise Miami to Miami in March also....probably the same cruise you are referring to.... and I became angry with the air plan which could have been so simple with NY round trips that really should be in biz class considering the product we are buying. It does seem to lower the experience value. We have a Silversea cruise on hold which will also provide a nice beach vacation but we probably would have gone with Regent this time as I was looking forward to a day in Miami.

I agree with Business Class only being offered for international flights. And, Las Vegas is never listed as a departure city. British Air & Virgin America have non stop flights from Vegas to Europe. When we use a Delta FF miles it is all Business Class starting in Vegas! It is a 5 hr flight from here to JFK or Miami. We cannot fly in coach that long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't like it but I can handle coach for a few hours IF we have aisle seats

But flying to LA in January Regent booked us in basic economy which means we cannot upgrade nor can we choose seats until check in! A middle seat for five hours would not be a good way to begin a luxury cruise.

We are gold on Regent and Seabourn but I think after checking out Explorer Seabourn may win.

I don't like it but I can handle coach for a few hours IF we have aisle seats

But flying to LA in January Regent booked us in basic economy which means we cannot upgrade nor can we choose seats until check in! A middle seat for five hours would not be a good way to begin a luxury cruise.

We are gold on Regent and Seabourn but I think after checking out Explorer Seabourn may win.

I'm with you. I can endure the five hours, but barely!

Regent rarely offer anything other than Economy/Coach for UK cruisers.

They offer Business for European cruises if you book Concierge or above - Economy can usually be upgraded for about £99 ($80ish) anyway, so no big deal here.

They will occasionally offer Business for long-haul (probably if they are struggling to fill the cruise??) They did this for our Japan to Beijing cruise on Voyager earlier this year. They also offer it for the World Cruise.

I asked why North American cruisers get "free" (aka included) Business Air on European cruises but UK cruisers don't get the same deal for cruises starting in the US; they couldn't (or wouldn't) answer.

Our last cruise on Voyager was not good - nothing like previous experiences on both Voyager and Mariner - just hoping that our Explorer cruise in February will be back to the old high standard.

Regent rarely offer anything other than Economy/Coach for UK cruisers.

They offer Business for European cruises if you book Concierge or above - Economy can usually be upgraded for about £99 ($80ish) anyway, so no big deal here.

They will occasionally offer Business for long-haul (probably if they are struggling to fill the cruise??) They did this for our Japan to Beijing cruise on Voyager earlier this year. They also offer it for the World Cruise.

I asked why North American cruisers get "free" (aka included) Business Air on European cruises but UK cruisers don't get the same deal for cruises starting in the US; they couldn't (or wouldn't) answer.

Our last cruise on Voyager was not good - nothing like previous experiences on both Voyager and Mariner - just hoping that our Explorer cruise in February will be back to the old high standard.

Our cruise prices in the UK reflect that only economy flights are included

There are two options if wanting to fly Business Class:

1. Ask Regent for a price for Business

2. Take an air credit from Regent and book the flights separately

Unless using air miles we have invariably found the first option to be the more cost effective and includes transfers

I thought Business in Europe was only included for PH and above, rather than Concierge. Business class within Europe does not offer much more than economy, especially on BA

"......Business class within Europe does not offer much more than economy, especially on BA......"

Flossie, Amen to that! The "Business Class" seats I've sat in on BA flights (and of course, had to pay more for) seemed to be even smaller than the "economy class" seats of most US airlines, if that's even possible these days! The seat back in front of me was so close to my seat that I couldn't even fully lower the tray table because it was hitting my chest. "Business Class" on the planes seem to be just as crowded as "Economy", and the service, snacks, and beverage service (certainly not spectacular) is indistinguishable from that provided in Economy.

The "Business Class lounges" that I've encountered seem to be the last hoped-for refuge for the "slightly more affluent masses" who are valiantly trying to avoid the even more crowded public terminal areas. I have walked into European "Business Lounges" that were so packed with people that there was virtually no place to sit and certainly no place to even set down your carry-on luggage on the floor next to you. I couldn't even get through the crowds to the snack/beverage areas and some of the restrooms were hygienically unusable. I have walked back out to the main terminal areas and found more available seating along with more space to maneuver than in the "Business Lounges".

The only single advantage that I've seemed to have found when flying "Business Class" within Europe is that the baggage allowances are more generous that those in "Economy" (although you're certainly having to pay more for it with your ticket). But the European "Business" baggage allowance is certainly no more generous than that offered by Southwest's complimentary "economy" luggage allowance in the U.S.

Mercifully, most flights within the northern Europe area are not too long and can be tolerated for an hour or two. Best Regards.