Oasis of the Seas with the toddler under 2

I would ask Brillohead refraining from posting her/his "mean" comments here.... I don't need milk every single hour. I need milk 2 times a day, when the baby goes to bed and when the baby goes for her nap mid-day. In regards to your previous post regarding car seat, yes, it is bucket seat and my baby was born premature that's why she is still under 20 pounds and fits perfectly into her bucket seat, the handle is behind the seat and is not in a way to hurt the baby, the shoulders and fit are not sticking out. I don't need larger seat according to my country's regulation. If you don't have anything valuable to add, don't comment here!!!

Thank you. I did try calling them, they do bfast but it will be closed at that time when we arrive. However, thank you so much for the poster above that recommended walgreens. I googled, and there is one close to the hotel, 1 mile walk, so I guess we could stop on the way to the hotel to grab some milk from walgreens. I called and they work 24/7!!!! So I guess I am set with milk in FLL. I never been to walgreens because we don't have it here, so your typical walgreens would sell milk? is it basically the same as walmart?

Just my opinion as a mother of 5 & grandmother of 7...once you start on whole milk don't go back to formula.

Everything will work out for you & baby...please stop stressing out...not good for either of you ;)

I would ask Brillohead refraining from posting her/his "mean" comments here.... I don't need milk every single hour. I need milk 2 times a day, when the baby goes to bed and when the baby goes for her nap mid-day. In regards to your previous post regarding car seat, yes, it is bucket seat and my baby was born premature that's why she is still under 20 pounds and fits perfectly into her bucket seat, the handle is behind the seat and is not in a way to hurt the baby, the shoulders and fit are not sticking out. I don't need larger seat according to my country's regulation. If you don't have anything valuable to add, don't comment here!!!

If you only need milk twice a day, that's not at all they way you portrayed it in this thread. A carton or glass of milk is easily obtained at any gas station, convenience store, fast food restaurant (even drive-thru), or sit-down restaurant.

As for the carseat, I said nothing about the handle hurting the baby -- no clue where you got that part from. :confused: And I said nothing about the shoulders "sticking out" for proper fit -- the shoulders need to be completely below where the straps come out of the back of the seat, and most kids are taller than that well before they come close to the 20-pound weight limit on the seat. My own son was only in the 20th percentile for both height and weight until he was a teenager, but he outgrew the height of the shoulder straps well before his first birthday.

[i'm not sure how old your child is -- sometimes it's a "toddler" and sometimes it's a "baby" -- lots of inconsistencies in this thread, but based on the fact that your baby is drinking cow's milk, I'm guessing that she's at least one year old.]

If you really want what's best for your baby/toddler (and easiest for you as well), you can switch your child over to formula by mixing formula and milk in increasing proportions over time, rather than doing a complete switcheroo with no preparation that caused your child to react negatively (and understandably so).

If she usually drinks eight ounces of milk at a time, you can give her 1oz of formula and 7oz of milk for a couple of days, then change to 2oz formula / 6oz milk for a few days, then 3oz formula / 5oz milk, etc., adjusting every few days until she is used to the taste of the formula. Within as little as two weeks, she can be completely converted over to just formula, which is a lot more nutritionally complete than cow's milk anyway.

In spite of your opinion of me, my motives are simply for your child to be as safe and healthy as possible. Car seats are often used/sized incorrectly, and kids are injured/killed as a result. (As a nurse, I worked with a teenager who was paralyzed in a car accident at a younger age due to being in the wrong size carseat. Trust me, that child's mother would give anything to be able to go back in time and change her carseat choice. She just didn't know at the time.) And proper nutrition is also important-- particularly for a preemie. (Cow milk is nutritionally suited for baby cows, breastmilk/formula are best for baby humans.)

My career is all about doing what is best for people. I hate to see people say, "if only I had known how dangerous it was....."

OP - don't stress about the milk. There's a ton onboard and you can get it at all times. The car seat law in FL DOES apply to taxis. Some may take you without one but others won't. When my daughter was three/four, we used taxi services who would provide a car seat (called beforehand) or a private car service and just told them beforehand we needed a seat. It really wasn't a problem.

OP - in response to your question about walgreens, no it's nothing like walmart. It's a much small drug/convenience store, but yes, it will have a refridgerated section with milk.

Just as a side note, your post about your need for milk and your worries made it sound like you need milk constantly throughout the day, stressing about getting it on the islands and the ice melting. If you really only need it for the baby to sleep at night (when it will be available on the ship) and for an afternoon nap (are you planning on the baby napping on the beach?), I think you are making an mountain out of a molehill. I don't think you will have trouble finding a reasonable amount of milk and your stewart and waitors will be as accommodating as possible in assisting you.

This trip may take more planning, packing, and require you to spend more time on the ship than a non-baby trip, but I would assume you considered that prior to booking a trip with a baby.

Well, I don't know because never travelled with the baby before. I was thinking to have lounge chairs and a stroller with me and whenever my baby wants to have a nap, she would be either on a lounge chair with her blankets or in her stroller napping there with us on the beach.... Is that not a good way to go? It will only happen twice: in St.Thomas and St.Maarten. It would be not doable to go to the port, put her to sleep and then come back, no time for sure, that's why I was worried about this milk situation how I am going to put her to sleep without milk on the beach.

Well, I don't know because never travelled with the baby before. I was thinking to have lounge chairs and a stroller with me and whenever my baby wants to have a nap, she would be either on a lounge chair with her blankets or in her stroller napping there with us on the beach.... Is that not a good way to go? It will only happen twice: in St.Thomas and St.Maarten. It would be not doable to go to the port, put her to sleep and then come back, no time for sure, that's why I was worried about this milk situation how I am going to put her to sleep without milk on the beach.

You mentioned earlier traveling for 14 hours, flying, etc. wondered if perhaps you are traveling from overseas. Highly recommend checking the family boards for more information about traveling with an infant.

Seems like the only question you have is regarding milk ..... You will need a lot more "stuff" - assuming you have all the other things covered. Example, you mentioned putting the baby down with her blankets on the beach for a nap. You won't need blankets on the beach - way too hot - perhaps more of a sheet or very thin blanket. Do you have any other questions?

Well, each baby is different, as I was saying in the earlier post, the other night, instead of milk I was trying to give formula and no matter how tired my baby was, she didn't go to sleep without it, even 3.00 am only when I gave milk, then she went to sleep, so she just won't go without it. I am hoping I will enjoy day at the beach and will find the damn milk somewhere.

I don't know... I thought that milk, diapers, wipes, stroller and car seat is all I need. What else?... Can you direct me where to go for the info then.

Edited by EscaladeHybrid

Well, each baby is different, as I was saying in the earlier post, the other night, instead of milk I was trying to give formula and no matter how tired my baby was, she didn't go to sleep without it, even 3.00 am only when I gave milk, then she went to sleep, so she just won't go without it. I am hoping I will enjoy day at the beach and will find the damn milk somewhere.

I don't know... I thought that milk, diapers, wipes, stroller and car seat is all I need. What else?... Can you direct me where to go for the info then.

Check the family boards.

Not a baby expert, but there are numerous threads about cruising with babies.

Off hand I would also say you need a lot of sunscreen, baby utensils, such as spoons, bottles, sippy cups, pacifiers (if you use), lots of clothing (no washer/dryer on board), baby medicine in case of emergency ....... Those are starters. I am sure people can add more.

With all due respect, I would suggest you try to find a parenting class or support group before your cruise. Your apparent overiding stress contributes to your child's stress and unhappiness with any simple changes in routine. She should not be in complete control of your life. Good suggestion about gradually changing mixture if you want to change to formula.

I'm sure you want to raise a happy, self sufficient child but that will not happen with you spending all your time jumping through hoops for her. Do not mean to be harsh at all but I do have experience, and you can't start too early. I raised two amazing kids who are raising wonderful grandchildren for me. This includes twin preemies who needed lots more attention at first. However, they too soon learned to adapt to the situation at hand.

You can do this. Take a deep breath and know that everything will work out. You might even be able to figure out a new nap routine where milk is not needed.

Good luck and have a memorable cruise.

Well, it's easy to say..... I have seen other kids and I wish mine would not be so demanding and stubborn. I have no idea how it is possible to change routine to go to bed without milk. It's unreal in my world! At least for now.

You say that I stress out too much and things will work but the reality is that I will come to the beach and in a couple of hours will probably need to leave because my kid will be hungry.... And I was just seeking advice/trying to come up with the plan of how to be prepared/how to manage it.

Check the family boards.

Not a baby expert, but there are numerous threads about cruising with babies.

Off hand I would also say you need a lot of sunscreen, baby utensils, such as spoons, bottles, sippy cups, pacifiers (if you use), lots of clothing (no washer/dryer on board), baby medicine in case of emergency ....... Those are starters. I am sure people can add more.

Fourteen hours of flying with a child under two is quite ambitious by itself, not to mention the cruise and onshore activities. You won't know how she will react to flying until you try it, but keep in mind she may not be a happy camper if her ears hurt or she gets airsick (bring extra clothes for you and her in case of the latter). If she has no problem there, do bring along some snacks for her and things to keep her occupied and reasonably quiet. Hopefully the other people you travel with will help you. Also, the past several times we have flown, the airline had milk but it was lowfat (1% or 2% as we remember). Will she go for lowfat milk? Sorry to list all these wonderful things but, unfortunately, you have to think of all scenarios - good and bad.

Well, it's easy to say..... I have seen other kids and I wish mine would not be so demanding and stubborn. I have no idea how it is possible to change routine to go to bed without milk. It's unreal in my world! At least for now.

You say that I stress out too much and things will work but the reality is that I will come to the beach and in a couple of hours will probably need to leave because my kid will be hungry.... And I was just seeking advice/trying to come up with the plan of how to be prepared/how to manage it.

I think the point posters are trying to make is that you seem to be so concerned about milk. You have asked advice and don't seem to be interested in anything but milk!

As someone else just pointed out you need more for traveling than just milk.

We've traveled twice with our grandsons when they were your DD's age, and it was a great, stress-free trip.

Airlines are used to having children on board and will have milk available. Get a small, soft-sided cooler and a couple of cooler ice packs. You can put them them to in your ice bucket overnight, put them in the cooler along with some ice, zip it up and head to the beach. On board, it's easy to stop by the buffet and pick up milk at any time of the day and much of the evening. You could also put out the room service hang tag for breakfast and request as many containers of milk as you'll need.

Strollers are just about useless at the beach; you can't push them in the sand. Unless you and your DH want to carry the stroller with the baby in it, you're better off wearing your baby. We had something similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001300421. They were lightweight and easy to carry. Both boys slept very well in them when they were toddlers and we didn't have to worry about keeping them in the shade.

I don't mean to be critical and unkind, but please, please, please stop keeping your DD on your lap when you drive. You'll be driving her around for the next fifteen years or so, and she might as well get used to being restrained now. It's very well worth a few trips with a crying toddler to get her into the habit. My DH was a police officer, and he'll never forget looking into the beautiful blue eyes of a small child as she took her last breath after she had been thrown from a car during an accident.

This particular post has been open in order to get ideas for getting milk while flying, airport, hotel and beach. I do not need anything else just that with this thread. I was planning on posting another thread on ideas how to travel with the baby where posters will chime in.

This particular post has been open in order to get ideas for getting milk while flying, airport, hotel and beach. I do not need anything else just that with this thread. I was planning on posting another thread on ideas how to travel with the baby where posters will chime in.

Perhaps you should reread your original post. It is as follows:

"Hello guys, I will be sailing on the Oasis of the Seas with my toddler, she is under 2 and was wondering any ideas how to entertain toddler/ what areas to check out for toddler? Also she cannot live without milk. Is milk easily accessible on the ship at any time? Do I need to bring stroller? For those travelling to the ports, do taxis on the island take you with a toddler? Or they require car seat? Do I need to bring base to the car seat as well? It seems a lot of hassle, my baby hate car seats so I was hoping not to bring any with me at all…."

You did ask for information on several things in addition to milk, and as a result received many helpful and caring replies.

With all your concern about milk, have you considered using powdered milk and mixing with bottled water ..... That way you could be sure it was all the same. There are so many different brands, percent/skim/whole etc. if your child so sensitive I would be concerned about all the changes. I drink quite a bit of milk and can tell different varieties. You could switch ahead of time and see how it works for you.

Didn't think about powdered milk.... Thank you. Could be an option. Maybe I should try it. She doesn't drink formula, I already tested that, so maybe powdered milk will do the trick.... Oh my goodness I am hoping I am not doing any bad to my baby. My husband for example calls powdered milk a "chemical" and even if he adds a little bit to his coffee he has allergy all over his hands and it's all swollen. But I guess I will to research and try it....

You've been given numerous suggestions for weaning your child off milk for nap time (don't try night time yet) or for taking milk to the beach but don't seem interested in accepting any of them. You've already decided what calamity will happen at the beach ("the reality is that....") when you've been told milk will keep on ice in a cooler more than two hours. Will your child drink it cold?

You could also try diluting nap time milk with increasing amounts of water each day until she drinks water. Nap time might also go better then substituting milk or the water with a "lovie". No sudden changes!

Parenting isn't an easy job and it so often becomes a trial and error situation. There are classes and licensing for driving, getting a job, most everything in life except parenting. Don't be afraid to ask the people you know whose kids don't seem as demanding what they do.

As for the non-milk advice you're getting, people are just trying to help with things they think you may not have considered. A statement at the beginning that you would be asking other questions later would have (mostly) prevented that. But you can still log those other tips for when you are ready to consider them.

I am not meaning to be harsh or negative. I like others am trying to help you have a more enjoyable time and happy baby. You don't want a child in charge of your home.

Please consider suggestions by saying "this could work if I do this" rather than "this won't work because". You can do this.

Milk is not widely used in the islands....we have bought it in supermarkets in what I call "juice boxes"....disposable with the little straw....but in a larger size which doesn't need refrigeration.....I took care of many babies over many years in my home....some just can't part with their milk bottles at sleep time....a stressful process ......talk to your dr and find out what he/she thinks....having milk in the bottle can be very damaging to the teeth so anything you can do to dilute it would be progress....don't hesitate to keep asking questions....folks here want to help even if it doesn't seem that way to you...