O just keeps getting better or NOT

LHT28

I would like to do a New England cruise but not in late summer due to the chance of hurricanes/tropical storms

HAL have some earlier in the summer but it is HAL

I cannot imagine what O will do if a lot of families decide to take up the offer especially on the R ships

What were they thinking :eek:

Thinking cruises are not selling well and this is a way to increase sales and occupancy without thinking about unintended consequences.

I started to do a fake booking on the August 31 NE/Bermuda cruise. Although when including 2 passengers most cabin categories are available, when I changed the number of passengers to 4 only Penhouse cabins were opened.

And will undersold Caribbean cruises be next? The implicit message is the problem. "Bring your kids. Our ships are perfect for them "

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bring the kids and loose us. And I am sure many more like us. Too bad, but after 10 cruises we will change if the O policy changes. Just telling us that we are not wanted any more. :confused::confused::confused:

Bring the kids and loose us. And I am sure many more like us. Too bad, but after 10 cruises we will change if the O policy changes. Just telling us that we are not wanted any more. :confused::confused::confused:

+1 seems they don't care.

Remember the days when FDR would chime in on a subject like this one.

Edited by orchestrapal

Has anyone from the UK found this offer? Link doesn't open for me! Is this offer only for US/ Canadian customers? Can't find anything on the UK website.

On the UK site do they have a link for Special offers ?

Has anyone from the UK found this offer? Link doesn't open for me! Is this offer only for US/ Canadian customers? Can't find anything on the UK website.

It doesn't open for me either.

I gather that these cruises are on the R ships as they are sailing Alaska and New England.

They don't have the facilities for children AFAIK, so I cannot imagine why a family would want to cruise on these ships - but throw in a free holiday and the lure might be too great. :(

It doesn't open for me either.

I gather that these cruises are on the R ships as they are sailing Alaska and New England.

They don't have the facilities for children AFAIK, so I cannot imagine why a family would want to cruise on these ships - but throw in a free holiday and the lure might be too great. :(

Very true. People like a bargain! Maybe the dates don't coincide with our school holidays.

+1 seems they don't care.

Remember the days when FDR would chime in on a subject like this one.

Perhaps they are looking at the demographics of those cruises to boost income? Families tend to spend money while on the cruise, some (no disrespect) "older" folks are quite happy to stay onboard and spend little or no money on excursions or other ship offerings?

Other less expensive cruise lines have been discounted prices for kids in the room for years. Do you think these parents are going to upgrade in price? The mass market cruise lines offer lots of activities for the kiddies and dedicated play areas. Where are the kid's play areas on O?

I've been on holiday cruises with Crystal and the kids have been well behaved. As a matter of fact, I've been on summer cruises with lots of families and the kids are not the problem, it's the inebriated, loud parents that cause me cause for concern. That's why we don't cruise with Carnival.

Oceania may be opening the door to younger families before they lose the older O loyalists to attrition. May be a longer term solution that will have a negative impact initially.

They might loose the older O loyalists much sooner. A lot of the O loyalists are not that old and probably will be cruising a long time in the future, but just not on O. Too bad since we love O. Will not be the same ships when they are crawling with kids. :(:(:(

They might loose the older O loyalists much sooner. A lot of the O loyalists are not that old and probably will be cruising a long time in the future, but just not on O. Too bad since we love O. Will not be the same ships when they are crawling with kids. :(:(:(

Yes, many of us have quite a few years of cruising left in us. Will be interesting to see if O begins upgrading their children facilities on board as well as the offer. Would certainly imply they are committed to following through with this change.

We are talking about 7 cruises in the summer of '17 and it appears limited to Penthouse suites. Can't you continue to cruise O and avoid these 4 Alaska and 3 NE/Canada itineraries?

We are talking about 7 cruises in the summer of '17 and it appears limited to Penthouse suites. Can't you continue to cruise O and avoid these 4 Alaska and 3 NE/Canada itineraries?

+1

I haven't done the math - and I am not inclined to do it :D - but having to book a PH to get the free cruise for children might be more expensive than booking an inside/oceanview and pay a reduced fare for the kids?

In addition, Alaska may be the one place where cruising on other lines (Princess, HAL) may offer a better itinerary.

Edited by Paulchili

Sure you can avoid those cruises, but that's only where it begins. What is next? 20 or 30 the following year? Once they start it is very hard to go back. It is up to O to decide if they want to take that chance and maybe see a lot of their old and best customers go elsewhere. :(:(:(

Edited by RJB
spelling

There are no children's facilities on O ships

For some of the Alaska cruises they do have a program for the children

In the past parents had to entertain their children

Children can cruise year round on Oceania if the parents pay the fare there are no restrictions except children under 1 yr are not allowed

When they open up " sailing for free " that can invite many parents/grandparents to take a nicer ship with the family ..not all bad for them but maybe for others

i recall recently the tale of the small child running around Jacques & crawling under the tables etc...

just multiply that by a dozen of little ones

Maybe they have a quota that is allowed per the cabin accommodations not all cabins will be suitable for 3 or 4 pax

There is nothing in the T & C that limit the offer to PH cabins but if they did there are 20 cabin PH suitable for 4 on deck 8 alone

SPECIAL FAMILY OFFER

*Offers and fares are subject to change on 4/1/17. Visit OceaniaCruises.com for current pricing. For Special Family Offer promotion, ask for Promo Code: KIDSFREE - 3rd and/or 4th guests must be 17 or under, booked in the same stateroom and accompanied by two adults, 21 years of age or older. Special Family Offer (KIDSFREE) promotion is not combinable with OLife Choice (3rd and/or 4th guests do not receive OLife amenities) and available on select 2017 voyages: Regatta 6/30, 7/07,8/07, 8/14 and Insignia 8/10, 8/20, 8/31. All fares are per person in U.S. dollars, valid for residents of United States and Canada (except in conjunction with Canadian resident specials), based on double occupancy (unless otherwise noted), for new bookings only and may be withdrawn at any time

Sure you can avoid those cruises, but that's only where it begins. What is next? 20 or 30 the following year? Once they start it is very hard to go back. It is up to O to decide if they want to take that chance and maybe see a lot of their old and best customers go elsewhere. :(:(:(

Chicken Little said "The sky is falling."

There are no children's facilities on O ships

Ah, maybe my use of the term children's facilities was a bit strong. When on the Regatta in Alaska last summer they do have a room set aside specifically for children's activities. We wandered past it.

If they don't have facilities now they will need them in the future. If not, all these kids will be using the other venues.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/youth-program/

I'm another who thinks there's no such thing as a free lunch. If the kids are sailing free then all of the adults are subsidising them. I'd feel obliged to find a child to bring along so that I got my money's worth :).

Edited by SellaVee

Ah, maybe my use of the term children's facilities was a bit strong. When on the Regatta in Alaska last summer they do have a room set aside specifically for children's activities. We wandered past it.

If they don't have facilities now they will need them in the future. If not, all these kids will be using the other venues.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/youth-program/

It is the hope of many Oceania cruisers that the only time that children will be onboard is maybe during the summer or on school holidays. Speaking for myself, we don't want facilities for them - there are so many, many cruise lines where other passengers welcome children. Oceania is not one of them. If this changes, IMO, Oceania will be for children and families and the rest of us will leave.