The Hits Keep Coming (Passport)

Garavar

So yet another thread from me regarding Pre-Cruise problems....

My lady's passport was set to expire next month and since we cruise or travel somewhere every month we cannot do the 4 week mail in process.

So we went to the 1 day passport agency in Miami. We spent the whole day there and paid the 1 days fee but they told us it wouldn't be ready for 2 days because they were so busy. (Fine no problem).

Now today they are closed. And their website (and news channels) say they suffered significant flood damage and will be closed until further notice.

We called and they can't help us. Told her to go to another agency (closest is Atlanta from Miami) to get a new passport.

We don't know what to do, they have both her passports at the office. The old one which would still be valid and the new one.

Our cruise leaves Thursday. Does anyone have any ideas on how to still cruise? She doesn't have original birth certificate. We called Department of Health NY and Rush delivery is 5 days.

We have a global entry card, you think Royal will accept?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Wow, that awful.

Here's info from the Miami Herald's story on it:

"Customers with appointments at the Miami office will be rescheduled at another agency office out of state. Those customers, as well as those scheduled to pick up a passport or needing an expedited passport, should call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 or 888-874-7793 (TTY/TTD).

On Monday morning, callers to the appointment line seeking times for the next two weeks were offered appointments at the agency offices in Atlanta or New Orleans."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article146375289.html

My lady's passport was set to expire next month and since we cruise or travel somewhere every month we cannot do the 4 week mail in process.

So we went to the 1 day passport agency in Miami. We spent the whole day there and paid the 1 days fee but they told us it wouldn't be ready for 2 days because they were so busy. (Fine no problem).

Now today they are closed. And their website (and news channels) say they suffered significant flood damage and will be closed until further notice.

We called and they can't help us. Told her to go to another agency (closest is Atlanta from Miami) to get a new passport.

We don't know what to do, they have both her passports at the office. The old one which would still be valid and the new one.

Our cruise leaves Thursday. Does anyone have any ideas on how to still cruise? She doesn't have original birth certificate. We called Department of Health NY and Rush delivery is 5 days.

Where is it?

Do you have a copy of the passport? Can't a new one be overnighted? Call and see what your options are. Good luck!

Yes I do, but RC won't take a copy of passport. And no one has offered to overnight anything

Wow, that awful.

Here's info from the Miami Herald's story on it:

"Customers with appointments at the Miami office will be rescheduled at another agency office out of state. Those customers, as well as those scheduled to pick up a passport or needing an expedited passport, should call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 or 888-874-7793 (TTY/TTD).

On Monday morning, callers to the appointment line seeking times for the next two weeks were offered appointments at the agency offices in Atlanta or New Orleans."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article146375289.html

I called they said, fly to Atlanta and get a new one from their agency, we can't do anything. Google some other stories people are having same problem

Where is it?

Probably in a safety deposit box in NY we don't have it anywhere here though.

She doesn't have original birth certificate. We called Department of Health NY and Rush delivery is 5 days.

You don't need an original birth certificate; rather, you need an official birth certificate.

Go to your local Register of Deeds office and tell them what you need. Assuming the person in question was born in the US, they can verify the birth certificate, and you'll walk out with an official printed copy in hand. This, of course, requires paying a fee.

I did it a year ago when I needed a copy of my husband's birth certificate and our marriage license. I went to our local Register of Deeds, and I expected to get only the marriage certificate. I was very pleased to hear that I didn't have to send away for his birth certificate.

Yes. Garavar, I realize that a copy will not be accepted, I was leaning to a copy would have all info on it to get it expedited in this case.

There has to be a solution as she is not the only one in this situation.

As someone posted, call the main office. There has to be a solution.

Again, good luck!

You don't need an original birth certificate; rather, you need an official birth certificate.

Go to your local Register of Deeds office and tell them what you need. Assuming the person in question was born in the US, they can verify the birth certificate, and you'll walk out with an official printed copy in hand. This, of course, requires paying a fee.

I did it a year ago when I needed a copy of my husband's birth certificate and our marriage license. I went to our local Register of Deeds, and I expected to get only the marriage certificate. I was very pleased to hear that I didn't have to send away for his birth certificate.

We live in Florida, born in NY. My local register Office wouldn't help me right?

Call the office of your U.S. congressional representative or senator. These are problems they are able to deal with.

I just called them all and left messages, we shall see if they help thanks.

What's so frustrating is the office is closed and they have both the original and new one. They should have someone go in there and mail or overnight to peope. Just stay closed.

My only suggestion is that if one of her parents lives in New York, they could go down to one of the offices and have an official birth certificate printed that day. Then they could Fed Ex it to you.

Parents deceased, we could send a friend but their websites all say they can't do same day.$

Do you see somewhere else?

When you called the passport agency, did they say that they couldn't help you without the old passport, or is it that you just don't want to deal with going to ATL or NO (I can't blame you, I wouldn't want to either)? They don't need the old passport to issue a new one. Just enough ID to prove it's you. I think your best bet is really to try and make the alternate office appointment work.

When you called the passport agency, did they say that they couldn't help you without the old passport, or is it that you just don't want to deal with going to ATL or NO (I can't blame you, I wouldn't want to either)? They don't need the old passport to issue a new one. Just enough ID to prove it's you. I think your best bet is really to try and make the alternate office appointment work.

They said I would have to pay the $200 processing fee again, fly to Atlanta and get passport there same day.

I am not going to fly to Atlanta. We paid the $200 to get it same day in Miami and then they claimed they were too busy and to come back. Our appt was at 12 pm we got there at 11 am and at 3 pm they told us to leave they were closing.

I can't take the risk it will happen in Atlanta.

It's unfair, we paid for same day service, didn't get it, now it's closed and they won't open up to return our old passport or overnight mail the new one. Or they could have the Atlanta Office mail us one.

I got a BC for one of my adult kids a few years ago in upstate NY. Took 30 minutes and $10

I have no one in upstate new York. I was referring to Manhattan office.

Also I am fairly certain no one can go for you

I am going to try Broward County Florida Records Office as suggested above.

And I already called Congressional representative and Senator. Maybe they will call me back and be helpful

I have no one in upstate new York. I was referring to Manhattan office.

Also I am fairly certain no one can go for you

I am going to try Broward County Florida Records Office as suggested above.

And I already called Congressional representative and Senator. Maybe they will call me back and be helpful

Why she born in Manhattan or a little town someplace in NY? You would be better calling the actual town or city hall of where she was born and speak to someone. I know I can order birth certificates over the phone and online from city hall and either have them mailed or held for me to pick up. I bet you could get someone in a clerks office to overnight one to you quicker than some state agency.

If it's a "closed loop" cruise that doesn't involve a stop in Cuba ... you *can* sail with birth certificate and photo ID. It's not ideal, but it's better than not going at all. Plus, as you're seasoned travelers / cruisers, you should be in pretty good shape (i.e. not a pier runner).

Good luck! I'm so sorry for your stress. :(

They said I would have to pay the $200 processing fee again, fly to Atlanta and get passport there same day.

I am not going to fly to Atlanta. We paid the $200 to get it same day in Miami and then they claimed they were too busy and to come back. Our appt was at 12 pm we got there at 11 am and at 3 pm they told us to leave they were closing.

I can't take the risk it will happen in Atlanta.

It's unfair, we paid for same day service, didn't get it, now it's closed and they won't open up to return our old passport or overnight mail the new one. Or they could have the Atlanta Office mail us one.

Wow that is absolute bull----!!!! How can they accept money for same day (or 2 day) service and then not offer a refund for not honoring that??? I would be extremely pissed if I had to fly to another state and pay the same fee again because they didn't have any way in their system to mark down that you already paid but were affected by the flooded office. However, that being said, given she has never obtained a birth certificate to keep in her own file cabinet and has kind of left herself with no other options other than to cancel your trip, I would just pay the money for the day trip to Atlanta :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Brutal.

I'm no help here, but that is just horrible. Hopefully a solution exists and you find it.

Why she born in Manhattan or a little town someplace in NY? You would be better calling the actual town or city hall of where she was born and speak to someone. I know I can order birth certificates over the phone and online from city hall and either have them mailed or held for me to pick up. I bet you could get someone in a clerks office to overnight one to you quicker than some state agency.

Queens unfortunately. I was born in a small town in NY where they probably would help me. But there are so many people in Queens.

If it's a "closed loop" cruise that doesn't involve a stop in Cuba ... you *can* sail with birth certificate and photo ID. It's not ideal, but it's better than not going at all. Plus, as you're seasoned travelers / cruisers, you should be in pretty good shape (i.e. not a pier runner).

Good luck! I'm so sorry for your stress. :(

Don't have original birth certificate, only a photo copy, drivers license and global entry card.