Long time Princess cruisers considering Galveston options

Times Prince

As a long time cruiser with Princess, we are considering sailing another cruise line out of Galveston and would like advice. We just don't like spending all that money and hassle flying and then staying in FLL the night before.

Our major options appear to be Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Which line would be more appealing for retired people who really like everything about Princess?

The itinerary is fairly irrelevant as we've been to most of the Western Caribbean ports many times. We typically snorkel when we can.

We like dancing to live music and seeing the shows on Princess, and will typically use Anytime dining for the W.Carib. cruises. Love seeing recent movies, too (really spoiled on Royal Princess). On sea days we mostly chill on our balcony or swim in an uncrowded pool.

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of the other lines relative to a Princess Cruise experience?

Thanks for the input.

Bob

certainly NOT Carnival unless you are party animals! How about sailing out of San Diego or Los Angeles (San Pedro port) instead of Florida?

I guess if you only have those two to choose from, I'd choose RCCL. I've been on RCCL - but years ago - and it was very acceptable. I was on Carnival ONCE - and vowed NEVER again! (The girls from OHIO state were at the next table in the dining room and every night did their OHIO state chant! It was ridiculous!!!!)

Talk to a good TA about what other options you might have, you might be surprised!

RCL, however you will have more port options on Carnival as they are expanding their facilities in Galveston. But why is it either or? Try both and see what you like. Variety is the spice of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We find RCCL very similar to Princess Cruises except they offer 'fun' activities like climbing wall and ice skating that we are not really interested in anyway.

Galveston departures are fine..but take some organisation regarding carhire as Enterprise is only company with office on Galveston Island. They open 10-1pm on Sunday's. Can't help with long stay parking except Hilton hotel offers cruise and stay parking. Has free port shuttle.

John and Tate's Pink Taxi recommended for port/ airport transfers.

Having sailed out of Galveston, it's not a very convenient port to sail out of. Crowded madhouse is more like it and if you park in the cruise port lots (reservation required), it is best to drop your bags first at the terminal because the buses to the terminal are few and far between for those with luggage and long lines of hundreds can form. We were fortunate as we did drop our luggage off before going to the parking lot and were able to get on the bus for people who didn't have luggage, under the gaze of several hundred angry hot people who were standing in line in the hot sun with their luggage. There were no restrooms in the area of the parking lot and no water fountains and walking to the terminal is a long, long way as you have to go to the far end of the parking lot to get out and then walk all the way back to the terminals - probably a 45 minute walk or longer in the hot Texas sun.

In terms of cruise ships, sailing from there, Carnival Breeze is a newer and nicer Carnival ship. The other Carnival ships, I think you would hate them. However the entertainment on Carnival is stand up comedians and 1 or 2 production shows that are not very good and usually some music in the atrium which can range from excellent to awful. There is a piano bar that is fun. On the other hand the Breeze has a very nice spa - which is where we mostly hung out. We did not like the MDR food - nothing like on Princess - they don't even use tablecloths on these ships anymore. So, my husband and I mostly ate in the steakhouse (extra fee) and we did do the Chef's table one night - that was really good. Typically we had breakfast in the MDR and then lunch in the buffet. The other Carnival ships, I would pass on. I've been on one older Carnival ship and did not enjoy it at all.

Liberty of the Seas is a nice ship, but it is focused on being active. I like the glass enclosed showers on this ship and they do have nice suites, although with very limited amenities for suite guests.

I think, having sailed out of Galveston, I probably would not want to do that again unless some better ships were sailing from there and instead, would prefer to fly to FLL or MIA or even Puerto Rico or the Med and sail out of those ports.

The Carnival Breeze is indeed a drastic change in decor from all the previous CCL ships and quite pleasing. However, the significant cuts that CCL has made in their general cruise product would lead me to highly suggest RCCL or Disney.

Our TA actually no longer ever recommends CCL and a couple that I know well just came back from a 6 day cruise with CCL and said it was okay but they'd never cruise with CCL again. Subjective opinion, yes, but even though I'm VIP with CCL, I'll not be cruising with them again either when there are so many other options.

Edited by PROCRUISE

Of the ships in Galveston, go with RCI. It's the Liberty of the Seas and it is an excellent cruise. If you haven't seen a Freedom Class ship, they are amazing. There is so much wow factor aboard that you aren't accustomed to with Princess.

What I think you'll find on par or even better than Princess:

1. The entertainment is excellent, and better than anything I've seen on Princess. LOS does a 90 minute production of Saturday Night Fever that is every bit as good as seeing it on Broadway. Additionally, the ice shows in Studio B are fantastic.

2. The actual living spaces in standard staterooms are larger than Princess and all rooms, regardless of category, have a couch. Choose a D1, D2 or D3 balcony and you'll be amazed as how large the room feels.

3. The ship is very open. You'll love the vast, open 3 story dining room and the 4 story Royal Promenade.

4. Service and food, I think, is exactly on par with Princess.

You mentioned you like movies. RCI does not run movies as frequent as Princess' MUTS. RCI will run a few movies on the outdoor screen through the week. But LOS also has a dedicated movie theater, and they will show a 3D movie once or twice in the main show theater.

All in all, I totally disagree with eclue's post about RCI being nothing like Princess. I'm an equal opportunity cruiser with no real loyalty, and I find a lot to be very similar between RCI and Princess. Carnival, on the other hand, is a bit more removed from Princess.

Thanks to all for your feedback so far.

Opinions seem pretty overwhelming that we wouldn't like Carnival (except for having a shareholder's benefit... ;) ).

RCL, however you will have more port options on Carnival as they are expanding their facilities in Galveston. But why is it either or? Try both and see what you like. Variety is the spice of life.

Our budget limits us to 1-2 cruises/year, and we have a Princess Future Cruise Deposit active, so for now, it is a case of "try one".

Disney has a ship in Galveston for about 2 or 3 months from November to February. They have specific adult only venues. Much nicer than Royal Caribbean or Carnival.
Just looked at their pricing online and it was almost 3X that of Carnival or RCCL for balcony cabins. Nice thought, though, and we may opt for that when our Granddaughter is older.

How much further would it be to drive to NOLA? NCL would be an option there...EM
From our house it is about a 3.5 - 4 hour drive to Galveston, but according to Google Maps it is close to 9 hours to New Orleans.

For us the trip to the east coast of Texas is doable, but NO would be a two day drive in practicality for us.

Nice thought - we've had friends who loved NCL.

And for the people thinking west or east coast US -that's the flight we are trying to avoid. There are very few direct flights from the Austin AUS airport.

Of the ships in Galveston, go with RCI. It's the Liberty of the Seas and it is an excellent cruise. If you haven't seen a Freedom Class ship, they are amazing. There is so much wow factor aboard that you aren't accustomed to with Princess.

What I think you'll find on par or even better than Princess:

1. The entertainment is excellent, and better than anything I've seen on Princess. LOS does a 90 minute production of Saturday Night Fever that is every bit as good as seeing it on Broadway. Additionally, the ice shows in Studio B are fantastic.

2. The actual living spaces in standard staterooms are larger than Princess and all rooms, regardless of category, have a couch. Choose a D1, D2 or D3 balcony and you'll be amazed as how large the room feels.

3. The ship is very open. You'll love the vast, open 3 story dining room and the 4 story Royal Promenade.

4. Service and food, I think, is exactly on par with Princess.

You mentioned you like movies. RCI does not run movies as frequent as Princess' MUTS. RCI will run a few movies on the outdoor screen through the week. But LOS also has a dedicated movie theater, and they will show a 3D movie once or twice in the main show theater.

All in all, I totally disagree with eclue's post about RCI being nothing like Princess. I'm an equal opportunity cruiser with no real loyalty, and I find a lot to be very similar between RCI and Princess. Carnival, on the other hand, is a bit more removed from Princess.

Very nice detail and a good response to our questions. Thanks

Bob

Having sailed out of Galveston, it's not a very convenient port to sail out of. Crowded madhouse is more like it and if you park in the cruise port lots (reservation required), it is best to drop your bags first at the terminal because the buses to the terminal are few and far between for those with luggage and long lines of hundreds can form. We were fortunate as we did drop our luggage off before going to the parking lot and were able to get on the bus for people who didn't have luggage, under the gaze of several hundred angry hot people who were standing in line in the hot sun with their luggage. There were no restrooms in the area of the parking lot and no water fountains and walking to the terminal is a long, long way as you have to go to the far end of the parking lot to get out and then walk all the way back to the terminals - probably a 45 minute walk or longer in the hot Texas sun.

In terms of cruise ships, sailing from there, Carnival Breeze is a newer and nicer Carnival ship. The other Carnival ships, I think you would hate them. However the entertainment on Carnival is stand up comedians and 1 or 2 production shows that are not very good and usually some music in the atrium which can range from excellent to awful. There is a piano bar that is fun. On the other hand the Breeze has a very nice spa - which is where we mostly hung out. We did not like the MDR food - nothing like on Princess - they don't even use tablecloths on these ships anymore. So, my husband and I mostly ate in the steakhouse (extra fee) and we did do the Chef's table one night - that was really good. Typically we had breakfast in the MDR and then lunch in the buffet. The other Carnival ships, I would pass on. I've been on one older Carnival ship and did not enjoy it at all.

Liberty of the Seas is a nice ship, but it is focused on being active. I like the glass enclosed showers on this ship and they do have nice suites, although with very limited amenities for suite guests.

I think, having sailed out of Galveston, I probably would not want to do that again unless some better ships were sailing from there and instead, would prefer to fly to FLL or MIA or even Puerto Rico or the Med and sail out of those ports.

We drove to Galveston a several times when Princess still had the Grand Princess based there (and have also sailed out of Houston, which is now history). The last time we left our car at an indoor parking lot right across the street from the terminal, so had no problem there. We're still getting coupons from that garage.

On an earlier cruise we learned the secret of dropping the luggage first. It is a good idea.

There are several non-port operated parking lots which will give you a ride along with your luggage, so there is no need to drop your luggage off first.

We used 81st Dolphin Parking 2801 Market Street, Galveston 409-256-8867 http://www.81stdolphinparking.net

• 4 months later...

If you drive to Galveston, stay at Gaidos Seaside Hotel - loved their rooms and hot cooked breakfast and you can leave your car for free! We left ours 28 days once on a Transatlantic! Book early as prices go up!

You can get a taxi to port for $10

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas, and we were not impressed. For a higher initial cost than Princess had on the same itinerary, there were many amenities standard on Princess that had extra cost on RCCL.

Next time it is either trying Carnival, or going back to Florida for a Princess cruise.

Thanks for all the input.

We took a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas, and we were not impressed. For a higher initial cost than Princess had on the same itinerary, there were many amenities standard on Princess that had extra cost on RCCL...

Like what, for instance? Seriously asking. We have sailed both lines and I was just wondering what you consider the standard amenities that you had to pay for on RCI.

For a higher initial cost than Princess had on the same itinerary, there were many amenities standard on Princess that had extra cost on RCCL.

Like what, for instance? Seriously asking. We have sailed both lines and I was just wondering what you consider the standard amenities that you had to pay for on RCI.

I too have sailed both RCI and Princess and I too am curious what these many things are. :confused:

I too have sailed both RCI and Princess and I too am curious what these many things are. :confused:

After I posted today, I noted that OP is Elite on Princess and would not have C&A status until after his first RCI cruise; perhaps those might be some of the amenities? I hope he will come back and tell us. :)

As I was recovering from surgery after a sports injury the big one for me on this cruise was in-stateroom TV movies on demand. Earlier in the year we were on Royal Princess, and recent release movies plus older ones were all free on demand. On Liberty of the Seas the same movies cost $11.99 each. There was even a movie they showed on the pool deck 11 screen that was still $11.99 in stateroom the next day. Princess will always show the movie for free on TV after being shown on MUTS.

Another item was hand lotion, which we had to buy from the gift shop, as it wasn't provided in the room.

Every Princess cruise I've been on has come with a fully stocked refrigerator. You didn't have to buy a drink package to have some cold bottled water in your room at the start of the cruise.

The Princess internet package provides connection minutes, irrespective of device. The RCCL internet package was by device (and seemed to cost a lot more). The impact is that with Princess we can share minutes on our Kindles or laptops whereas we would be limited to one device on RCCL.

We ran into some service related issues which didn't cost extra but were not up to the standard we expect from a cruise, like having to go to a buffet table across the dining room for cold breakfast items after ordering them from the waiter and neither receiving them nor being told that was their policy.

We really missed Princess Cruises' International Cafe with its salads, lite sandwiches and Cubanos, and a changing variety of desserts for a light meal 24x7. The Promenade cafe on RCCL didn't come close. And simple cupcakes cost money.

That's our experience. We are used to a higher standard.