Wine experts, I REALLY need help!

jimmy2x

My wife and I are boarding Oosterdam on Feb 19 for 21 days and have decided to purchase 8 bottles at Total Wine to take with us. I do understand the rules so far as corkage goes.

The problem is that we really know NOTHING about wine, other than generally the more you spend the better it is. We both tend to like Pino Grigio or a rhine wine as whites and Pinot Noir as red, but that is likely because that is pretty much all that we've tried. We have forgotten most of the wine that we purchased aboard but did like a red that was both a bit spicy.

I'm looking to spend abut 30$/bottle on average but would consider a bit more.

Recommendations and any other help about transport and storage is greatly appreciated. What should I do with it after boarding?

Any help by the experts (I'm looking at you POA;)) is greatly appreciated.

Total Wine is a great choice for your wines. Without going into great detail I would ask the clerk in the store as far as selections, they are very knowledgeable. For $30 you can get some really nice wines.

As far as transporting I would but two carriers at the store that holds four bottles each in stead of boxing since that is harder to carry. Take it on as carryon. They will put stickers on each bottle after going through the scanner at check in. Then I would just take it to your SR or you make ask the Wine Steward and they may keep it for you for your dinner, your choice.

Either way enjoy your wine and the cruise

I think wine's a taste that's developed. I'd say see if they have a tasting. I'd hate you to spend all that money and find you don't care for it.

We get wine diapers via Amazon. We use them for DH's mouthwash bottles, that leak. And they're great! Reusable too.

Aren't we limited to two bottles per stateroom?

Edited by knittinggirl

No.

We are allowed to bring aboard one 750 ml bottle of wine, per adult age 21 or higher, without paying a corkage fee. Those are for consumption in the cabin, or may be brought to public areas if you pay the corkage.

We are allowed to bring aboard as many more 750 ml bottles of wine as we are able to carry. That can be both at initial embarkation, and at any and all ports.

I think wine's a taste that's developed. I'd say see if they have a tasting. I'd hate you to spend all that money and find you don't care for it.

We get wine diapers via Amazon. We use them for DH's mouthwash bottles, that leak. And they're great! Reusable too.

Yes one pp without the corkage, anything about that is $18pbtl.

My wife and I are boarding Oosterdam on Feb 19 for 21 days and have decided to purchase 8 bottles at Total Wine to take with us. I do understand the rules so far as corkage goes.

The problem is that we really know NOTHING about wine, other than generally the more you spend the better it is. We both tend to like Pino Grigio or a rhine wine as whites and Pinot Noir as red, but that is likely because that is pretty much all that we've tried. We have forgotten most of the wine that we purchased aboard but did like a red that was both a bit spicy.

Recommendations and any other help about transport and storage is greatly appreciated. What should I do with it after boarding?

If you like Pinot Grigio, the world standard bearer is Santa Margherita, which will cost about $17-20 at total wine.

You also mention Pinot Noir. There are many excellent Pinot Noirs from the area around Northern California's Anderson Valley (at just under $30, I'd opt for Navarro unfiltered "ancient method" Pinot Noir though it may be hard to come by other than through mail order from Navarro (Philo, CA). For the most part, stick with Anderson Valley production. Oregon is also great for Pinot Noirs and you'd do fine with Argyle's offerings.

How about a Rosé? No, not that "rot gut" white Zinfandel from Beringer. Find a "Rosé of Pinot Noir, also from somewhere in Sonoma County. Speaking of Zinfandel, try a bottle of Seghesio. Even their lowest price non-specific vineyard Zin will be ver pleasing and cost less than $20.

You haven't tried Chardonnay? I know total wine carries Martin Ray and, at $25-30, look for their Santa Cruz Mountains varietal. Grgich from Napa (about $35) is a great example of classic Napa "butter/oak" Chardonnay.

You'll need a sparkling wine - At less than $20 for top flight sparklers, try Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noir or Shramsberg Mirabelle.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent memorable wine (though some Goldeneye or anything by Helen Turley is nice once in awhile). In fact, there's always the better boxed cheapos like Black Box and Bandit (acceptable but not memorable). Great for the ultra- budget conscious.

As for transport, if you are not going on a plane, total wine should have four and six pack cardboard carriers. Store them under the cabin bed (stick whites in cabin fridge as needed. For air transport, you're talking weight. In a checked bag, you could use the sealable bubble wrap bottle-shaped sleeves.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Jimmy,

Just a suggestion. You might want to start keeping note of what you like and what you don't. Doesn't have to be all that sophisticated with all that flowery descriptions, just liked, really liked, not good at all.

We will take a picture of the bottle if we really like the wine. That way it's always in our phone.

Good advice to ask a sales person in Total Wine. They will be familiar with what they have in stock and their prices. Much easier than looking all over for something someone recommends on the internet.

BTW, we bought a wine tote at our local wine store that carries six bottles. Made out of a heavy fabric, almost canvas, for three bucks. I'm betting Total Wine has something similar. Since you're not carrying the bottles on the plane, doubt you need wine diapers or such.

We find that Canyon Road un-oaked Chardonnay (~$12-13 @ Total Wine) makes an excellent all-round white. It's a bit rounder and dryer than the typical Pinot Grigio.

For an all-around red, I'd look in the Italians for a Sangiovese (the grape they make Chianti, and other wines from) which is a bit fuller than Pinot Noir and softer than most decent Zinfandels.

For your first stop, go to the left hand side of Aisle 1 and grab 2 of the Total Wine wine tote bags. They hold 6 bottles each and are only $1.99. If you only want to carry on 8 bottles, you could just buy 1 tote bag and carry the other two in the plastic bag that the store will give you. They'll put one of the 2 bottles in a paper bag, so you don't have to worry about the bottles banging together. (I'd simply fill 2 totes and take 12 bottles, but I run with a thirsty crowd. ;) )

As far as Pinot Grigios are concerned, the highest rated one you'll find at Total Wine right now is Castello Banfi's San Angelo Pinot Grigio. It's $18.99 a bottle and is in Aisle 4, on the left. It scored 89 points. The Santa Margherita (87 points, $18.97 Aisle 4, left) is 2 cents less, but it had a lower score. The Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio had the same score as Yellow Tail, which only costs $5.59 (87 points, Aisle 4, left.)

In Pinot Noirs, there's spectacular value in Meiomi Pinot Noir from Sonoma. It's only $17.99 per bottle. It scored a 92 and was #20 on Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines of 2015. It, along with the most of the Pinot Noirs, are in Aisle #1 on the right. Other good choices:

• Adelsheim Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, OR - $24.97, 92 points
  • Ponzi Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, OR - $36.99, 92 points
  • Amici Pinot Noir, Sonoma, CA - $34.99, 91 points
  • Yealands Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ - $16.99, 91 points - This is in Aisle 21 on the left

My wife would kill me if I failed to mention the Pinot Noirs of Ken Wright. They're all in the $50, range, so they're more than you've budgeted. Please be aware that some of these wines will have screw cap. Don't let that throw you. Just call is a "Stelvin Closure" and it'll sound a little better.

Each section in Total Wine has an expert, so you might want to call on them. Since you like Pinot, ask for some advice on the Burgundies in Aisle 4.

The spicier red you're describing might be a Shiraz, Syrah, or Malbec. Just ask someone at the store. They're all very helpful in my experience.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by POA1

I would challenge the idea that the more you pay, the better the wine. I have tasted expensive wines that tasted awful to me. But others would love them.

I am not a sophisticated wine drinker and am perfectly happy drinking cheap wine.

My advise is don't buy wine that you have never tasted. If you like Pinot Grigio, then buy that. You will probably be perfectly happy with wine in the $10-$15 range.

If you want to try something different, try buying it by the glass at dinner.

Sorry - Just saw the "what to do with it after boarding" part of the question. We keep ours in our cabin. I just figure out what we're having with dinner and then chill it, as needed, before taking it to dinner. In the Caribbean, room temperature is usually too warm, even for reds. The reason we take our wine with us is so that it's on there when we are. We don't have to wait for anyone to hunt for our bottles in storage.

If you are in fixed dining, you can always give your wine to your wine steward for storage. You can do that in open seating as well, but it's a little more complicated since you might have different wine stewards on different nights.

***CORRECTION: Total Wine's site says that they 6 bottle totes are in Aisle 3 on the right, but I could have sworn they were in Aisle 1.

Note that there are two different Santa Margherita PGs shipped to the US - one for the east coast and one for the west. They do not taste the same.

When I was in the business, I always suggested to clients that they step up their choices by a dollar or two until they couldn't taste the difference then plateau thee for a while. That plateau may be $10, $20, $30 or more - but it's only you who can make that judgement.

The problem is that we really know NOTHING about wine, other than generally the more you spend the better it is.

Not necessarily true. First of all, buy what you enjoy drinking regardless of the price. If you like 2 buck chuck, buy it and enjoy it and do not apologize for drinking it. Second of all, while most inexpensive (note that I did not use the word "cheap") wines are not as good as more expensive ones, there are expensive ones that are not worth the money and reasonably priced ones that are quite good.

At your price point of $30 per bottle, you have lots of options. You might try going to your local Total Wines on Saturday and Sunday when they have wine tastings to decide what you like and then order them for pickup at a Total Wine at your embark point.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I thought that HAL offered Santa Margherita onboard, and at a reasonable price. Or am I thinking of another Santa M.....something? Whatever I had was a cabernet.

Nope, just Zonin & Ruffino as far as Pinot Grigios. Perhaps you're thinking of the Santa Carolina house wines - Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, and Merlot?

Edited by POA1

Wine is so subjective - what one person likes another does not. I would go talk to the people at Total Wine, they are so helpful - and you might even some tasters to help make up your mind.:D

Wine is so subjective - what one person likes another does not. I would go talk to the people at Total Wine, they are so helpful - and you might even some tasters to help make up your mind.:D

Absolutely. There's a tasting desk in between aisles 1 & 2, about halfway towards the back of the store. There are also organized tastings on the weekends. Wine tasting hours at the Fort Lauderdale store are noon to 6 on Friday and Saturday, and noon to 5 on Sunday.

Normal tastings are free of charge and they typically have 4 - 8 selections.

Edited by POA1

Too bad our sommelier CC member is cruising right now.

I am sure he could help too.

The first time I went to total wine, I was lost. So many choices.

The staff recognized the dazed look in my eyes (kid in a candy store) and offered to help.

If you know what kinds of wines you like they can be a huge help and ere very knowledgeable . And we didn't have to spend $30/bottle to have good wine.

You can also view a lot of their selections on line which can help.

Now we are in and out of there in no time :).

Total Wine is a great store for buying wine, but their selection can overwhelm even an Oenophile! If you go in that store without knowing what you want, the store clerks will help you...but they cannot possibly know your personal taste. And folks first learning to enjoy wine are often not very good at explaining what they like. I am thinking that you have 2 weeks until your cruise and perhaps you could have some pre-cruise fun trying to discover a few wines you enjoy (in the comfort of your own home). Then, when you go to Total Wine you can either buy some of these same wines...or simply tell the clerks which wines you like...and they can help find similar wines to hopefully satisfy your palate.

Hank

If you like Pinot Grigio, the world standard bearer is Santa Margherita, which will cost about $17-20 at total wine.

You also mention Pinot Noir. There are many excellent Pinot Noirs from the area around Northern California's Anderson Valley (at just under $30, I'd opt for Navarro unfiltered "ancient method" Pinot Noir though it may be hard to come by other than through mail order from Navarro (Philo, CA). For the most part, stick with Anderson Valley production. Oregon is also great for Pinot Noirs and you'd do fine with Argyle's offerings.

How about a Rosé? No, not that "rot gut" white Zinfandel from Beringer. Find a "Rosé of Pinot Noir, also from somewhere in Sonoma County. Speaking of Zinfandel, try a bottle of Seghesio. Even their lowest price non-specific vineyard Zin will be ver pleasing and cost less than $20.

You haven't tried Chardonnay? I know total wine carries Martin Ray and, at $25-30, look for their Santa Cruz Mountains varietal. Grgich from Napa (about $35) is a great example of classic Napa "butter/oak" Chardonnay.

You'll need a sparkling wine - At less than $20 for top flight sparklers, try Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noir or Shramsberg Mirabelle.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent memorable wine (though some Goldeneye or anything by Helen Turley is nice once in awhile). In fact, there's always the better boxed cheapos like Black Box and Bandit (acceptable but not memorable). Great for the ultra- budget conscious.

As for transport, if you are not going on a plane, total wine should have four and six pack cardboard carriers. Store them under the cabin bed (stick whites in cabin fridge as needed. For air transport, you're talking weight. In a checked bag, you could use the sealable bubble wrap bottle-shaped sleeves.

I second every single one of these suggestions. Especially the Navarro :) the Roederer NV brut, if you like bubbles, also from Anderson Valley, can be had for under $20 and is excellent.

Edited by PirateShark

I second every single one of these suggestions. Especially the Navarro :) the Roederer NV brut, if you like bubbles, also from Anderson Valley, can be had for under $20 and is excellent.

And I agree as well. I am a bit of a wine snob, but part of my snobbery is finding the yummiest wines for under $30, and sometimes even under $20. Another white that is excellent, very drinkable, slightly crisp (think green apple) is Ferrari Carano's Fume Blanc. Chateau Dt Michelle makes a great Riesling. Rieslings come everywhere from very sweet to very dry, but this is a mud range and goes great with spicy food. I also like Mark West Pinot Noir. Kendall Jackson also makes a good Pinot for under $20. If you want a bigger, spicier red, try Cabernet Sauvignon. Again, I think the Kendall Jackson Reserve is good. I would wait on Zinfandel, syrahs and petit syrahs until you decide the reds you are drinking are not big or bold enough.

Have fun with this. Everyone's taste for wine is slightly different, and different wines from different areas impart a different overall impression. I agree with making brief notes, so you can go back and figure out which wines you like. Don't be afraid to say it is not to your taste if you don't like it. Often wines change after they have been in the glass for 15 minutes, sometimes the second sip us better than the first, and sometimes they are better with foos

I thought you were only allowed to bring one bottle of wine (750ml) per person. I know in the past it was unlimited but my last HAL cruise it was just one per person. Has this policy changed? If it went back to unlimited, that is great news! Hope someone here can clarify.