Which Night for Specialty Restaurant?

mevs904

We will be on the 8/5 Coral Princess northbound to Alaska. We have a credit for dinner in one of the specialty restaurants and were wondering which night to choose. We are traditional dining so we would like to eat in the main dining room on the first night. I understand that one night will be the Alaskan Specialty Dinner and of course there are the two formal nights. Any suggestions?

FWIW we're used to fresh Maine lobster so lobster night is not a must with us.

We will be on the 8/5 Coral Princess northbound to Alaska. We have a credit for dinner in one of the specialty restaurants and were wondering which night to choose. We are traditional dining so we would like to eat in the main dining room on the first night. I understand that one night will be the Alaskan Specialty Dinner and of course there are the two formal nights. Any suggestions?

I would guess whatever suits you.:)

I'm not sure if all ships handle this the same way but on a recent cruise on the Pacific Princess I also had several credits and found that the ship had already set up a reservation for me without asking. (and for all others that had one of the promotional credits) I did manage to change it but there were very limited days and times available. I'd pick out a day/time and then call as soon as you board. I was on a B2B2B and the only segment I really had a choice was the last leg when I called at 9am before the next group of passengers had even come aboard :)

My suggestion would be for Skagway or Juneau, one of the ports that you sail late in the evening and a lot of passengers may be still ashore.

My vote goes to the first formal night.

I'd agree - if you are one who prefers to avoid dressing up because the specialty restaurants are resort/smart casual all nights.

I like to go on the last night to Crown Grill and have my special steak dinner. Had enough of MDR then. One time we went mid-week when the menu theme in MDR did not appeal to us. Have always gone to MDR on formal nights.

Is there a way to tell when the formal nights will be?

We are on the Royal 10 day Caribbean in Sept and are thinking exactly that - try to arrange the specialty dinner for the first formal night, since we will be packing a little light and not bringing formal wear.

Are formal nights usually on "at sea" days, or do they vary?

Thanks

Don

Just go on your least favorite night menu in the MDR.

We do enjoy dressing up and going to the MDR for formal nights so those probably won't be our first choice. I like DougH's idea of choosing a night when more passengers may still be ashore. Good thinking!

Some posters suggested that we go on a night when we don't care for the MDR menu. Is it possible to know this some days in advance? I did hear that we may already be assigned a night for our specialty dinner and hope that it won't be too difficult to change.

Thanks for all responses.

I have had the complimentary dinner voucher a couple of times. The first time I just showed up where they told me to and when. Then I got smart and called the DINE line right away and arranged a time and place different from what Princess assigned.

I have had the complimentary dinner voucher a couple of times. The first time I just showed up where they told me to and when. Then I got smart and called the DINE line right away and arranged a time and place different from what Princess assigned.

Good thinking, we had it once where we were assigned a Time that didn't suit, so I asked for a change. They said no, so I asked for a refund and the changed it. Amazing how accommodating they can become.:D

Usually the first formal evening is on the first full day at sea. The second sea day will also be on a sea day (but never the final full day of the cruise) but will be on a day the ship is scheduled to leave a port early if a second sea day is not practical.

I always book the last night. Dinner in the MDR, American night IMHO is the worst cooking they do. Take good old American diner type meals and turn it into something like a TV dinner from the 60's. I also pick a 2nd night mid week. I avoid 1st night as they are rushed with all the freebee's. If they have any large travel groups onboard that include a night with them avoid those nights if possible.

framer

Is there a way to tell when the formal nights will be?

We are on the Royal 10 day Caribbean in Sept and are thinking exactly that - try to arrange the specialty dinner for the first formal night, since we will be packing a little light and not bringing formal wear.

Thanks

Don

The Patters which should be in your cabin when you board will show the schedule for the entire cruise.

You can ask to see the dinner menus; I think the maitre d' is the best one to ask. That's how we usually decide which night to go to the specialty restaurants. Also, we used to love the Bavarian dinner in HC or Caribe. We'd always ask when that dinner was scheduled and then we'd check the mdr menu for the night to see what we'd be missing. Sadly in the last couple of years the Bavarian dinner has been nothing special.

Edited by FritzG

Once again, thanks for the information,especially the tip about the last night's dinner. We also appreciate the tip that we may have to be persistent about changing our dining times. This is our first Princess cruise and we're learning the ropes.

I'm not sure if all ships handle this the same way but on a recent cruise on the Pacific Princess I also had several credits and found that the ship had already set up a reservation for me without asking. (and for all others that had one of the promotional credits) I did manage to change it but there were very limited days and times available. I'd pick out a day/time and then call as soon as you board. I was on a B2B2B and the only segment I really had a choice was the last leg when I called at 9am before the next group of passengers had even come aboard :)

My suggestion would be for Skagway or Juneau, one of the ports that you sail late in the evening and a lot of passengers may be still ashore.

I think this is happening more and more since specialty dining is bundled with certain promotional pricing. We met people who were dining at 9pm on the last night of a 5-night cruise because that was what they had been assigned and there were no other times available.

Once again, thanks for the information,especially the tip about the last night's dinner. We also appreciate the tip that we may have to be persistent about changing our dining times. This is our first Princess cruise and we're learning the ropes.

Good luck.:D

My documents say that we will be given a comp dinner at a specialty restaurant on a time of Princess's choosing...

I read the above posts regarding changes, but can I also choose a different specialty restaurant then what I may be assigned? I would assume they would probably assign us the one with the lowest surcharge? Or is it just 'luck of the draw'?

My documents say that we will be given a comp dinner at a specialty restaurant on a time of Princess's choosing...

I read the above posts regarding changes, but can I also choose a different specialty restaurant then what I may be assigned? I would assume they would probably assign us the one with the lowest surcharge? Or is it just 'luck of the draw'?

Whatever the case, speak to the maitre De if you wish to change and see what is possible.:D

Both Crown Grill and Sabitini's are $25, so it's not going to be on price.