Dress code

I've only done one other RCI cruise, a 4 nighter to the Bahamas, and really don't remember dress code. How strict is RCI for MDR?? We are doing an 11 night, so should have 2 formal nights, 2 smart casual nights, and 7 casual nights, according to the website. Suggested attire for smart casual (for men) is a jacket and tie...are they strict about that? My husband doesn't mind wearing a suit and tie 2 nights, but not 4!

I guess if they are strict, the buffet always works!

Thanks!

I've only done one other RCI cruise, a 4 nighter to the Bahamas, and really don't remember dress code. How strict is RCI for MDR?? We are doing an 11 night, so should have 2 formal nights, 2 smart casual nights, and 7 casual nights, according to the website. Suggested attire for smart casual (for men) is a jacket and tie...are they strict about that? My husband doesn't mind wearing a suit and tie 2 nights, but not 4!

I guess if they are strict, the buffet always works!

Thanks!

Just off 11 night Serenade with similar dress code nights in MDR as well as DL/CL. I am happy to report, and John would be proud of me (I hope), I wore my suit both formal nights and never wore my shorts during evening hours into the DL or CL. I also always wore a collared shirt. (I wore shorts in AM )

Having said that, I saw shorts in all on all nights including formal nights. Wear what you feel comfortable in. There are some that may not have my opinion. Most men at our table wore at least collared shirt, or shirt/tie, or sports jacket. I was only one with a Suit on at my table both formal nights.

Each cruise we pack lighter than the previous. My husband hates ties so, no ties. He takes khakis in a couple of colors and a few collared shirts, knit and cotton. The best investment for cruising was a neutral linen sport jacket. Dresses up any outfit. I wear sundresses of various styles and lengths. Everything is comfortable. We each walk on with one suitcase. We do not, however, wear shorts or jeans in the MDR although many do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Vacation Lover,

That is awesome you have had someone who could wear shorts! My husband got turned out of the MDR for wearing them. He had only brought one pair of jeans and a pair of slacks that he had to rotate through for all 7 nights. :( Some guys have all the luck! lol.

Be blessed,

Danielle

Smart casual has been dead for a decade. Jacket for formal night, wear a tie if he wants.

The rest of the nights it's pants and a polo shirt. I wear khakis or jeans; both permitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some speciality eats and DL/CL still list Smart Casual but haven't seen this term used for MDR in a while.

Remember, MDR serves a Breakfast and Lunch seating too. Shorts are the dress in these two times. I can't say I saw shorts in MDR on formal night but witnessed them on other nights. I don't wear shorts in Dinner Seating MDR.

Edited by troykahack

We have never seen a man turned away wearing shorts in MDR on first and last nights in last year or so. Have been on 45 Royal cruises and shorts are now acceptable for men except possibly on formal nights...but it's ship dependent and shorts should not be really short!