Carribean: Big differences between islands or all the same?

cruise4parents

Cruise for 55 and 59 year old. Going to be walking around and viewing things (shows, walking). No hiking. No swimming. No drinking.

There are so many little islands and places to port. Is there a big difference or most of the islands similar and just going for the warm weather?

Thoughts?

Edited by cruise4parents

So far, I've only been to three ports, and I think they did vary greatly. Put it this way, I fell in love with Grand Cayman to the point that I would seriously move there in a heartbeat if I ever won the lottery. However, in Jamaica I felt like I could be murdered at any moment. I wouldn't intentionally go back there again unless it just happened to be part of an itinerary that had other ports I wanted to visit.

I guess they fall into a number of categories.

Forested islands like Grenada and Jamaica, dry & barren islands like Aruba & Bonaire, volcanic islands like St Kitts & St Lucia.

Islands with Spanish history like Cuba & Dom Rep, French history like Guadeloupe & half of St Maarten, British history like Antigua & Barbados, Dutch history like Curacao & the other half of St Maarten.

Surprisingly wealthy places like Martinique & Trinidad, poor places like Isla Margarita and Dominica.

Highly developed places like Cartagena & coastal Mexico, undeveloped places like Tobago and St Vincent.

So there will be similarities & differences, depending on your itinerary.

Every place I've visited has been worth a day, few worth longer. Which makes it ideal cruising territory.

Sun, sea & sand all help ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Cruise for 55 and 59 year old. Going to be walking around and viewing things (shows, walking). No hiking. No swimming. No drinking.

There are so many little islands and places to port. Is there a big difference or most of the islands similar and just going for the warm weather?

Thoughts?

I have a friend that thinks most islands are alike. I happen to disagree. Go and find out for yourself.

I think they're all more alike, than different...with the exception being Aruba...it's a true desert island...flat...no rain...no lushness...

You go for the weather....there's not a lot of "culture", IMO...since you're from the north...you'll find it nice, warm and beautiful.

I guess they fall into a number of categories.

Forested islands like Grenada and Jamaica, dry & barren islands like Aruba & Bonaire, volcanic islands like St Kitts & St Lucia.

Islands with Spanish history like Cuba & Dom Rep, French history like Guadeloupe & half of St Maarten, British history like Antigua & Barbados, Dutch history like Curacao & the other half of St Maarten.

Surprisingly wealthy places like Martinique & Trinidad, poor places like Isla Margarita and Dominica.

JB :)

Per above ^^^ there definitely are differences.

There is tremendous variety: the sixteenth century Spanish colonial Old San Juan, the 365 beaches of Antigua, the French/Dutch ambience of friendly St. Maarten - the list goes on. Some islands are filled with aggressive vendors, others with great views, there are lingering elements of earlier French, Dutch, Spanish, English and Danish colonial pasts.

Thoughts?

Have you done any reading on the "Ports of Call" section?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Also if you have cruises in mind for the parents, and you have never been to the Caribbean, you could ask more specific questions to narrow it down.

There are big differences.

Have you done any reading on the "Ports of Call" section?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Also if you have cruises in mind for the parents, and you have never been to the Caribbean, you could ask more specific questions to narrow it down.

There are big differences.

I just saw your other post with the options, sorry I had not seen it before I responded to this post.

What a wonderful gift. :)

These two are especially nice to walk around on-your-own: Curacao & San Juan.

I agree I particularly enjoy walking around San Juan (the architecture is very colorful and interesting), Curacao is a nice downtown walking area, St. Bart's is outstanding but few ships stop there. We went two or three times on Maasdam and loved that port.

I never leave the ship in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. We visited each a few times, never felt safe and stopped going ashore in Jamaica.

Aruba is very built up and commercial but lots of decent shopping and restaurants. Beautiful beaches but you said no to the beach.

I enjoy walking from the ship to Pusser's in Tortola. My late DH and I used to do a lot of walking and we liked that walk.

There are quite a few differences between ports both in terms of the landscape and the actual structures and the size of each island.

No different than many places around the world where they can vary from place to place.

Yes, there are some similarities in terms of chain stores and chain restaurants but that is no different than our own country.

Keith

We have found a great deal of variety and cultural experiences to be had in the Caribbean. You wouldn't know it from looking at the same old boring excursions offered by the cruise lines year after year after year. And I suppose if you stay in the immediate port area many will seem the same as they tend to have the same US-based stores and US-based restaurants. We have found great walking tours online that have been great for learning about the culture and histories of many islands.

I enjoy walking from the ship to Pusser's in Tortola. My late DH and I used to do a lot of walking and we liked that walk.

We love that walk as well. The walk BACK can be challenging depending on how many Painkillers are involved with the visit to Pusser's! But OP said no drinking, so that won't come in to play!

As others have said there is great variety in the terrain and level of vegetation as well as the architecture, culture and 'vibe' of the various islands and ports. We are decidedly beach and history people, so we look for those type activities in the various ports. I think you are best to visit a B&M TA and discuss what cruises offer ports with things that meet your needs.

Some of the most extremely different islands are:

Grenada (the Spice Island)

Curacao (Pontoon bridge and very Dutch)

St. Lucia (worlds only drive through volcano and the Pitons)

Virgin Gorda (The Bath's - incredible - like something out of Treasure Island)

Jamaica (tubing on the White River)

After visiting over 20 Caribbean islands, we feel that those islands are very different and diverse.

Curacao, Aruba, and Bonaire have the Dutch influence. They are dry islands

with cactus. Curacao is very European with many cultures represented. Willemstad is a good walking city. Aruba is a good place to take an island tour, as much of the island can be seen in part of a day. Bonaire has some interesting highlights like the Donkey Sanctuary.

Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Isla Margarita are Spanish islands.

It is very easy to walk around Old San Juan and enjoy some historic areas.

Martinique is French and has a most interesting tour to St. Pierre and Balata Gardens.

Barbados is very British and has many interesting tours.

St. Maarten has a Dutch side and a French side. Philipsburg is an interesting port for walking and shopping.

St. Thomas has the Danish and U.S influence and many historic buildings.

As someone suggested, check the Port forums for more specifics.

Cruise for 55 and 59 year old. Going to be walking around and viewing things (shows, walking). No hiking. No swimming. No drinking....

Forgive me, but do you not want to swim? Are you unable to do so? I only ask because there is nothing like a "sea bath" to cure your ailments, as the old folks in de islands used to say. ;) There is wonderful swimming at most of the Caribbean ports. It's not difficult to get to a beach by taxi. We are 54 and 53, and are not sun worshippers by any means, but since we have traveled so far we are absolutely going swimming at every single port. :)

You asked for thoughts - those are mine. :)

They're all very different with their own vibe.

I've never been to the Eastern Caribbean, but even from pictures alone, I can tell I'd enjoy them more than the W. Carib. Bahamas is ok, but I'm not overly fond of the W. Carib. That said, I like cruising for the ship experience so I often don't pay that much attention to the itinerary.

Edited by codex57

After visiting a good many islands, there is very little difference. We're 73 & 70 - we head for the beach. On St. Martin we go to Club Orient. All you need is sunscreen and a smile - we've been going to clothing optional beaches/resorts for about 30 years and Club Orient (not just Orient Beach) is one of the best.

If you enjoy culture, some of the western ports have good access to Mayan ruins, but are not good for just walking around on your own: Belize for Lamanai ruins and the Guatemalan port of Santo Tomas for Tikal, an expensive excursion with bus and charter plane, but worth it.

Costa Maya in Mexico also offers excursions to Mayan ruins. Costa Maya has a new walkable shopping center at the pier. There is a fishing village in taxi driving distance, but I haven't been there.

Responding to Poppy42 I think there are so many differences! Each island has its own culture, history, architecture; even find the people have their own subtle differences.

OP indicated not a swimming person - looking for more than beach.

I find many of the islands reflect their original history and heritage. Once you find out where you are going , research that particular port.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I think they're all more alike, than different...with the exception being Aruba...it's a true desert island...flat...no rain...no lushness...

You go for the weather....there's not a lot of "culture", IMO...since you're from the north...you'll find it nice, warm and beautiful.

I agree with this post, but would add one more big point for me THEY ALL HAVE A DEPRESSED ECOMONY.

While I haven't been to all the Islands, I have been to Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Martin, & St. Thomas. And the Caribbean holds no charm for me. When I spend my vacation dollars, I don't want to see terrible poverty or vendors chasing after me in my face/actually following me from store to store.

I had no interest in going to the beach and I didn't feel safe just walking around.