latest poll from celebrity forum dropping formal night-59.13% in favour

lenbest

Celebrity is very different - many more US cruisers who tend in the main to be more casual and worry about luggage weight. Interestingly, when we were on RCI on the IOS from Southampton their formal night was very formal!

Each to their own, but please leave a cruise line for those of us who like to dress for a cruise. There are plenty out there to pick that are less formal so why people don't pick them rather than pick a formal one and then try to change it really annoys me.

Edited by Presto2

Each to their own, but please leave a cruise line for those of us who like to dress for a cruise. There are plenty out there to pick that are less formal so why people don't pick them rather than pick a formal one and then try to change it really annoys me.

I couldn't agree more.

When I mention cruising to people who haven't then they nearly all say they couldn't be doing with all the dressing up. I try to explain that its not compulsory but it falls on deaf ears.

Maybe its a marketing ploy by Celebrity.

I enjoy it, some others don't.

Edited by CCFC

Why not get it deleted then? Its irrelevant and there are plenty other threads on the same subject.

Thought police eh! :rolleyes:

Of course it is relevant to P&O. Royal Caribbean is a rival to Carnival and P&O is part of Carnival. Carnival will be watching this carefully and if it proves successful expect Carnival brands to follow ;)

Thought police eh! :rolleyes:

Of course it is relevant to P&O. Royal Caribbean is a rival to Carnival and P&O is part of Carnival. Carnival will be watching this carefully and if it proves successful expect Carnival brands to follow ;)

No idea what you mean by "thought police".

How many threads do you want on this subject?

I don't agree that P&O will introduce this. A small percentage of people want Formal Nights removed and keep going on and on about it hoping that P&O will drop Formal Nights until we are sick of hearing the same thing. Now, if that isn't "thought police" then I don't know what is.

No idea what you mean by "thought police".

How many threads do you want on this subject?

I don't agree that P&O will introduce this. A small percentage of people want Formal Nights removed and keep going on and on about it hoping that P&O will drop Formal Nights until we are sick of hearing the same thing. Now, if that isn't "thought police" then I don't know what is.

I agree that P&O are unlikely to drop formal nights anytime soon equally I suspect that Celebrity Eclipse, currently the only ship in their fleet to sail from the UK, will continue to have a high level of formal dress on their "evening chic" nights, because the majority of their passengers are from the UK, which is also why someone else commented on the high level of formal dress on an IOS cruise from the UK.

I'm not so sure that P&O won't drop the formal nights too.( I really hope they don't). The bigger ships seem to attract the 'new' cruiser, who we are led to believe are not so keen on formal nights. That's a bit of a worry. I too think why do people book with a cruise company with a known dress code,and then try to change it to what they want. :confused:

I'm not so sure that P&O won't drop the formal nights too.( I really hope they don't). The bigger ships seem to attract the 'new' cruiser, who we are led to believe are not so keen on formal nights. That's a bit of a worry. I too think why do people book with a cruise company with a known dress code,and then try to change it to what they want. :confused:

I'm not so sure "new" cruisers aren't keen on Formals judging by the very high percentage of men wearing dinner suits. At least I hope so. The number of dinner suits available in shops nowadays is also significant. There can be a choice of 2 or 3 black and usually a white but there are also grey and blues. The fact that Next are stocking 4 or 5 different styles of "skinny fit" shows that they have a market for younger men as well.

As far as people booking a cruise and then trying to change it to what they want, it is so annoying. There are plenty of different cruise lines to choose from without changing P&O. Perhaps they should try Celebrity with their Casual and so-called Chic Nights. Can't wait to hear how they monitor that one. Checking clothing labels perhaps ?

I'm not so sure "new" cruisers aren't keen on Formals judging by the very high percentage of men wearing dinner suits. At least I hope so. The number of dinner suits available in shops nowadays is also significant. There can be a choice of 2 or 3 black and usually a white but there are also grey and blues. The fact that Next are stocking 4 or 5 different styles of "skinny fit" shows that they have a market for younger men as well.

As far as people booking a cruise and then trying to change it to what they want, it is so annoying. There are plenty of different cruise lines to choose from without changing P&O. Perhaps they should try Celebrity with their Casual and so-called Chic Nights. Can't wait to hear how they monitor that one. Checking clothing labels perhaps ?

A question on a P&O FB group had over 350 replies only 5/6% of those replying wanted a change to the companies 2 formals per week policy.

FB tends to be used by younger cruisers.

A question on a P&O FB group had over 350 replies only 5/6% of those replying wanted a change to the companies 2 formals per week policy.

FB tends to be used by younger cruisers.

Interesting Dai. That is a significantly small number. There are only a few on here want a change but they do say it pretty often.

Interesting Dai. That is a significantly small number. There are only a few on here want a change but they do say it pretty often.

Yes I was surprised by the strength of feeling. I think some people work on the principle that if it is said enough times it becomes a fact.

Stop panicking, nobody on this thread has suggested changing the number of P&O formal nights. Anyway that is down to P&O not us, after all we are the 'lunatic fringe' :D

I suspect when it comes down to it most people just don't care ;)

Not even sure why this was posted on the P&O forum?? I love formal nights so will dress accordingly.

As a Host Sharon I thought you would understand more than most. It's a major change by a cruise line that compete with P&O from Southampton and many P&O cruisers like ourselves are Celebrity cruisers as well. The change doesn't bother us but it's an interesting discussion point about the way cruising is heading so ideally suited to a post on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The clothes shops are full of dinner suits due to the increase in popularity of prom nights, not formal cruising.

We love cruising but on meeting people and talking about cruising the most common response is 'we hate all that dressing up'. Celebrity have sensed a change in people's views and risked making a change. I've read a few posts on the Celebrity boards where they say they will leave that brand but read many more that say it's a positive step.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk