Getting left in port

geckoaz

I saw in nypost a story where parents missed the ncl ship and their kids were on board. Fortunately they had an uncle on the ship. I almost always book carnival excursions because they will wait for you. But it is so important to know ship time. I really don't think I could leave my kids onboard.

We've only considered leaving the kids at camp while going ashore ONCE. But common sense won and we didn't do it. All of those "what if" questions were a bit too nagging. [emoji6]

Out of big curiosity, we did ask at Camp what would happen if for some reason we didn't make it back in time and missed the ship while the kids were onboard. They told us that a babysitter would be assigned round the clock and we'd be charged at the going hourly rate until we could rejoin the ship. And if for some reason the ship made it back to Port Canaveral and we were still missing, then the kids would be turned over to authorities upon arrival. We didn't test this procedure. [emoji6]

That is pretty risky leaving young kids onboard, unless of course the person is booked on a Carnival excursion where you know the ship will wait. But even that carries some risk.

People miss the ship every day though. Love to watch the pier runners!

I saw in nypost a story where parents missed the ncl ship and their kids were on board. Fortunately they had an uncle on the ship. I almost always book carnival excursions because they will wait for you. But it is so important to know ship time. I really don't think I could leave my kids onboard.

The full story, as I've read, is that the wife was off the ship and was late returning. The husband (who was onboard with the kids), after talking to other family members onboard, gathered their IDs and went off the ship to find her. When he returned (with her) the ship had already started to leave.

This was in Nassau, the last stop before returning to NYC. The kids are 9 & 12, and there are other family members onboard.

I also read that Norwegian "assisted" in travel and hotel bookings for the parents until they could get to NYC to meet the ship. What that assistance was (monetary, or just helping them find it) who knows?

I read that article. It was at Nassau. The family was on the Norwegian Breakaway. The father and 2 kids 9 and 12 were on board on time. The Mom was not . The ship paged her. Dad meet with officials and decided to get his and his wife's travel documents and go ashore and look for her. The ship waited 30 more minutes. They weren't on it and it departed. There is also footage of the Mom on the dock screaming and carrying on . The kids were with family, maybe next time Dad will stay on board and just give pier officials Mom's travel documents. Don't mean to sound harsh but the rest of the family made it back on time., why didn't she?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I read that article. It was at Nassau. The family was on the Norwegian Breakaway. The father and 2 kids 9 and 12 were on board on time. The Mom was not . The ship paged her. Dad meet with officials and decided to get his and his wife's travel documents and go ashore and look for her. The ship waited 30 more minutes. They weren't on it and it departed. There is also footage of the Mom on the dock screaming and carrying on . The kids were with family, maybe next time Dad will stay on board and just give pier officials Mom's travel documents. Don't mean to sound harsh but the rest of the family made it back on time., why didn't she?

One last great bargain at the straw market????

And did you notice the several shopping bags she had? I think she was just caught up in her shopping and didn't realize what time it was. Then, of course, the husband had to figure out where she was to bring her back.

I'm not sure anyone else went off the ship. I thought she had just gone ashore herself to do some shopping.

We've only considered leaving the kids at camp while going ashore ONCE. But common sense won and we didn't do it. All of those "what if" questions were a bit too nagging. [emoji6]

Out of big curiosity, we did ask at Camp what would happen if for some reason we didn't make it back in time and missed the ship while the kids were onboard. They told us that a babysitter would be assigned round the clock and we'd be charged at the going hourly rate until we could rejoin the ship. And if for some reason the ship made it back to Port Canaveral and we were still missing, then the kids would be turned over to authorities upon arrival. We didn't test this procedure. [emoji6]

Seems like the right thing to do.........(charging them for round the clock). How parents could let that happen is beyond me.

Leaving them on with extended family on the ship is probably OK, but I'd never do it if there wasn't family on board. I am a little surprised that the lines permit it. But probably too hard to police.

That is pretty risky leaving young kids onboard, unless of course the person is booked on a Carnival excursion where you know the ship will wait. But even that carries some risk.

People miss the ship every day though. Love to watch the pier runners!

Lucky, this is not true. A passenger missing the ship is rare.

I couldn't leave my kids on the boat and the youngest is 14. I try to avoid that straw market like the plague. I like to look at local , authentic crafts , I can not stand them yelling LADY COME LOOK AT MY BOOTH...HELLO you have the same stuff as the 75 ladies lined up beside you in there! STOP IT. I prefer Pirate's Island Brewery...they have beer there!

Additionally, the Captain waited an extra 30 minutes before departing the port.

So the wife was 1 hour late in returning to the ship and likely only showed up because he husband got off the ship and enlisted a golf cart to go find her.

Inexcusable on the part of the wife and poor judgement on part of husband.

Poor judgement by the husband? Who leaves their wife in a foreign country? If the kids have suitable family to take care of them it seems to me like the husband made the best decision he could to take care of his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Poor judgement by the husband? Who leaves their wife in a foreign country? If the kids have suitable family to take care of them it seems to me like the husband made the best decision he could to take care of his family.

In my opinion, yes -poor judgement. Absolutely !

It's likely their kids have never had both parents abandon them on a strange ship before. The chance of a traumatic reaction by the kids is entirely possible despite the fact that some uncle is still on ship.

I believe it would have been far better for the wife to know her kids were in the care of their father, than to have both parents miss the ship.

I believe most people would choose to have the kids with at least one parent.

Edited by lizardhowson

In my opinion, yes -poor judgement. Absolutely !

It's likely their kids have never had both parents abandon them on a strange ship before. The chance of a traumatic reaction by the kids is entirely possible despite the fact that some uncle is still on ship.

I believe it would have been far better for the wife to know her kids were in the care of their father, than to have both parents miss the ship.

I believe most people would choose to have the kids with at least one parent.

Maybe not these parents!! Unbelievable. Especially the mother[emoji35].

I think this is my favorite topic. I'm on the road 250 a year. When we cruise as a family, We always had one port day as a couple.

Kids are old enough now that baby sitters would not be required and we'd have someone to pack up our cabin.

The attention that this subject gets would make one think there are legions of cruise orphans consigned to sail the high seas for eternity because there parents got drunk at carols and Charlie's and never came back for them.

I am glad that this subject has gained such national attention. Especially being right before the summer cruise season. New cruisers, as well as seasoned ones, need to understand that missing the ship's boarding time has consequences. Airlines won't wait for you either because you wanted to stop for a latte.

Edited by CruiseHealing

You really think he used poor judgement???