Wait list fairness

dabear

We went on a waitlist for a cabin for a cruise more than one year in advance and made a deposit. We read that fares are going up on 7/1/17. Our TA advise that if we are not confirmed for our cabin until after 7/1 & the price goes up , we would be stuck with the higher price even thought Oceania has had our deposit for months. Is that fair?

BTW, we're experienced cruisers including trips on related Regent and NCL (before the acquisition) and we don't get any prior credit other than our prior cruise on O. On the otherhand, RCCL gives us credit on Azamara for our cruises on Celebrity. Another questionable marketing ploy!

I know that is how it works with O. The question was "is it fair?" I think it's fair if the cabin request is without a deposit but should it be treated different when O accepts a deposit?

In my mind it does not seem fair but if you know that is how it works upfront then you are aware the price could change

I never book a wait listed cabin because if I book a cruise I want to be sure I am on the ship

there is no guarantee with a W/L

JMO

In my mind it does not seem fair but if you know that is how it works upfront then you are aware the price could change

I never book a wait listed cabin because if I book a cruise I want to be sure I am on the ship

there is no guarantee with a W/L

I agree 100% on this. Even more unfair is people who book a cruise and want to think about it. Then before final payment cancel----I think once you book a real fee should be charged to cancel. I enjoy cruising, but book only what I can book at the time.

From our 20 prior cruises I think this is the first time we've waitlisted. I'm not too concerned about missing this cruise as most of the other catagories are available .

As far as making a deposit & later cancelling, sometimes plans have to change and I don't have a problem with paying a small cancellation fee if cancelling more than 90 days out. Alternatively if one cancels one year before the departure, should they loose a $1500 deposit ? I think that's a little steep , especially since the cruise line has plenty of time to resell the cabin. On the other hand, cancelling shortly before departure does put the cruise line into a potential loss situation.

From our 20 prior cruises I think this is the first time we've waitlisted. I'm not too concerned about missing this cruise as most of the other catagories are available .

As far as making a deposit & later cancelling, sometimes plans have to change and I don't have a problem with paying a small cancellation fee if cancelling more than 90 days out. Alternatively if one cancels one year before the departure, should they loose a $1500 deposit ? I think that's a little steep , especially since the cruise line has plenty of time to resell the cabin. On the other hand, cancelling shortly before departure does put the cruise line into a potential loss situation.

Not sure what cruise you would have to put down $1500! We booked our 21 day cruise and had to put down $250 each which is a lot easier to loose than $1500! The cancellation insurance costs a heck of a lot more.

Not sure what cruise you would have to put down $1500! We booked our 21 day cruise and had to put down $250 each which is a lot easier to loose than $1500! The cancellation insurance costs a heck of a lot more.

The deposit requirements for OVO accommodations (those Suites above Penthouse level) are significantly greater.

You must have booked a sale price deal

normally Oceania's deposit is $750 pp & Suites I think is 20%

AFAIK, the standard deposit for an Oceania cruise is $750/pp = $1500 per couple.

There are promotions and onboard bookings that require a smaller deposit.

We have also paid US 1500 for deposit. Ocean view cabin...

I was not aware that if you cancel a cruise a year before departure, you loose your $1500 deposit. It was my understanding that a deposit carries over for two years. If you have not cruised within that time, Oceania must return the deposit. Has Oceania changed their policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it was my understanding that a deposit carries over for two years. If you have not cruised within that time, Oceania must return the deposit. Has Oceania changed their policy.

if you cancel your cruise before the penalty phase kicks in you get the deposit refunded

This is for North American bookings

Maybe you are thinking of something else

I was not aware that if you cancel a cruise a year before departure, you loose your $1500 deposit. It was my understanding that a deposit carries over for two years. If you have not cruised within that time, Oceania must return the deposit. Has Oceania changed their policy.

I believe the person you were quoting was using that in a hypothetical manner.

I believe the person you were quoting was using that in a hypothetical manner.

You are correct. I was merely making a hypothetical in reply to an earlier comment of a cancellation should pay a large penalty. The only situations that I'm aware of that you could loose a large deposit before the 90 day period is with Viking River cruises which requires full payment shortly after deposit even if it's a year before sailing and HAL if you choose their lower cost fully prepaid nonrefundable payment plan.

I paid $750pp for a 7 day cruise in a veranda cabin and 20%pp for the RTW cruise in a veranda cabin.

This is our first Oceania cruise. We booked with a high volume "Connoisseur Club TA. She didn't mention that it was any "special", the usual O-Life, and lots of OBC and pp gratuities without airfare.

I just assumed that the $250 pp was standard for Oceania.

This is our first Oceania cruise. We booked with a high volume "Connoisseur Club TA. She didn't mention that it was any "special", the usual O-Life, and lots of OBC and pp gratuities without airfare.

I just assumed that the $250 pp was standard for Oceania.

Just curious when you booked the cruise ?

Have not seen a deposit that low with O in years

Just curious when you booked the cruise ?

Have not seen a deposit that low with O in years

$250 p.p. was the standard deposit for onboard bookings, at least as recently as last month.

thanks David

we never book onboard so never look at those specials

Lyn,

You may want to think about it.

The price is good, low deposit, $100 OBC and best of all - lowest price guarantee till sailing (even after final payment). You can change the booking once for a different cruise if you want.

Hard to beat :)

$250 p.p. was the standard deposit for onboard bookings, at least as recently as last month.

Mine was $350 per person, but that was perhaps because we purchased a Future Cruise Certificate, which is different than the place holder bookings.

• 3 months later...
I believe that is how the Waitlist has always worked ..you pay the price at the time you get a confirmed cabin

Let's say you are wait listed for a particular category and 2 months out, they offer you the cabin at a much higher price than when you wait listed it. Do you get your deposit back if you decline the room because of the price increase?

Let's say you are wait listed for a particular category and 2 months out, they offer you the cabin at a much higher price than when you wait listed it. Do you get your deposit back if you decline the room because of the price increase?

I have never waitlisted a cruise so maybe check with your TA or Oceania