Sabatini's New Menu

cruise2relax

I noticed the new menu for Sabatini's posted on the Caribbean Princess dry dock site. I believe I attached it to this post, who knows. Anyway, it definitely sounds more regionally Italian to me and is very interesting. That said, it also follows the new model from Princess wherein it states clearly that you are to chose one appetizer, one soup or salad, one pasta and one entree for $25.00 pp. Additional pasta or entree course $10.00 pp. I think that many people for a while have called for a renovation of the Sabatini's menu, depending on its ultimate execution, I would be more than willing to give it a shot.

sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu (1).pdf

Why all the weird, "fussy" food?? Why not just some really good, well done (not olive garden or carraba's) traditional Italian dishes? I love a really well done, basil pesto on home-made fettuccini or a nice cheese tortellini in a veal and mushroom sauce. I guess I just don't get a mint-specked tortelloni with roasted lamb and a sauce I can't pronounce.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not being adventurous, but I really just don't get the need for food that seems to be trying too hard. Just give me a really well-executed dish with a few simple but delicious ingredients and I'm happy.

• Like 1

I think it looks great. I enjoy being "adventurous". Maybe it's because I'm from an area of the country that's awash in excellent Italian food, both traditional and more creative. This is obviously the direction Princess and other comparable cruise lines are taking and I welcome it.

Also, the cover has gone down $5. I like that. For me, the one choice in each category is more than enough and if I really wanted a second serving $10 won't break the bank. It's still cheaper than Share. ;)

BTW, does anyone have the link to the Caribbean Princess dry dock website? I don't see it on the Princess website.

Thanks,

I noticed the new menu for Sabatini's posted on the Caribbean Princess dry dock site. I believe I attached it to this post, who knows. Anyway, it definitely sounds more regionally Italian to me and is very interesting. That said, it also follows the new model from Princess wherein it states clearly that you are to chose one appetizer, one soup or salad, one pasta and one entree for $25.00 pp. Additional pasta or entree course $10.00 pp. I think that many people for a while have called for a renovation of the Sabatini's menu, depending on its ultimate execution, I would be more than willing to give it a shot.

Thank you for posting this. If anyone knows when this is expected to be rolled out across the fleet, please let us know.

The new menus are on the website Caribbean Princess Revitalization Emerging April 2017. This website contains a link to Learn more about Sabatini's Italian Trattoria. This website includes links to new menus Dinner Menu (PDF) and Beverage Menu (PDF).

Under THE TRANSFORMATION UNFOLDS, it states: "Experience the new restaurant design and elevated menu on board select ships, beginning with Caribbean Princess and Grand Princess this April." It does not provide any dates for any other ships.

I will be very interested in trying out the new menus on embarkation evening. My first impression of the new menus is favorable, but the question is how it is executed. I will be checking out the new menus on an Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess next month, so I can report back with my impressions after that.

I think the new menu looks great. We usually dine at Sabatini's two or three times each cruise, and, understandably, have been though the menu many times. So, a change sounds exciting.

I am a bit surprised that there is no beef/steak on the menu. Yes, I saw the veal, and that looks good, but it seems to me that many cruisers, especially, Americans, are serious red meat eaters. No big deal. Just an observation.

I have to say, the vegetarian choices look pretty good. There are times when Mrs. XBGuy wants vegetarian.

Thanks to NavyVeteran for posting the other links. I see they now have an all Italian wine list. That will, probably discourage a lot of Americans who don't often venture beyond California wines. I thought it was great to see Gavi on the whites list--my favorite Italian white.

I look forward to reading reports of diners' actual experiences.

The new menus are on the website Caribbean Princess Revitalization Emerging April 2017. This website contains a link to Learn more about Sabatini's Italian Trattoria. This website includes links to new menus Dinner Menu (PDF) and Beverage Menu (PDF).

Thanks for the link. I thought I had previously bookmarked it but apparently not. I have now. :D

I think the new menu looks great. We usually dine at Sabatini's two or three times each cruise, and, understandably, have been though the menu many times. So, a change sounds exciting.

The changes look good to me to.

I am a bit surprised that there is no beef/steak on the menu. Yes, I saw the veal, and that looks good, but it seems to me that many cruisers, especially, Americans, are serious red meat eaters. No big deal. Just an observation.

I'm glad they're not compromising the Italian experience to provide steak. The Crown Grill offers a very good selection for people who have to eat steak. I'm from Texas, and I don't cruise on Princess to eat steak - I eat better steaks at home.

I have to say, the vegetarian choices look pretty good. There are times when Mrs. XBGuy wants vegetarian.

I'm glad for the choice. Sometimes I will choose a vegetarian option just because it looks good. I know one of my sisters-in-law traveling with us in August will appreciate the option.

Thanks to NavyVeteran for posting the other links. I see they now have an all Italian wine list. That will, probably discourage a lot of Americans who don't often venture beyond California wines. I thought it was great to see Gavi on the whites list--my favorite Italian white.

You're welcome. The wine list looked interesting to me too, although I won't be trying the Gavi. I will be limiting my choice to wines available by the glass for $10 or less,:( but I may try every one of those.:)

I look forward to reading reports of diners' actual experiences.

I will be eating at Sabatini's on the Grand Princess to Alaska on May 18th, and I will try to comment after that.

I would definitely try the Sauvignon Blanc for $3 a glass! Bet the typo gets fixed by the time the restaurant opens. :D

Why all the weird, "fussy" food?? Why not just some really good, well done (not olive garden or carraba's) traditional Italian dishes? I love a really well done, basil pesto on home-made fettuccini or a nice cheese tortellini in a veal and mushroom sauce. I guess I just don't get a mint-specked tortelloni with roasted lamb and a sauce I can't pronounce.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for not being adventurous, but I really just don't get the need for food that seems to be trying too hard. Just give me a really well-executed dish with a few simple but delicious ingredients and I'm happy.

Carnival.

While I love adventurous and authentic food, especially when traveling or cruising, this menu just doesn't do it for me. It reads a little cheap to me. I would prefer the salt crusted Branzino, veal chop, etc. Sorry but what the hell is a veal vallet? Meh.

While I love adventurous and authentic food, especially when traveling or cruising, this menu just doesn't do it for me. It reads a little cheap to me. I would prefer the salt crusted Branzino, veal chop, etc. Sorry but what the hell is a veal vallet? Meh.

Same here. What happened to the old veal chop that was standard for many years. I wonder if it's now the "veal vallet"?

Lucente is gone from the wine list! :(:(:(

We discovered this "little sister" to the much more expensive Luce on the Royal Princess several years ago and always look forward to having a bottle.

Oh well, may just have to bring our own.

I also will miss the Branzino! :(

(I wonder if it might be one of those "If you ask for it...." things that they sometimes have.

Same here. What happened to the old veal chop that was standard for many years. I wonder if it's now the "veal vallet"?

Regardless of how you feel about the new menu, to me it's obvious that they are trying to move from a more traditional dining experience to something more contemporary. I think it looks great. However, I can see where some folks might disagree. The future of cruising is going to be about new concepts that younger cruisers will find attractive and more closely mimics their everyday social lifestyle.

Fortunately for me, I'm young at heart, even if the snow on the roof says otherwise. :D

Regardless of how you feel about the new menu, to me it's obvious that they are trying to move from a more traditional dining experience to something more contemporary. I think it looks great. However, I can see where some folks might disagree. The future of cruising is going to be about new concepts that younger cruisers will find attractive and more closely mimics their everyday social lifestyle.

Fortunately for me, I'm young at heart, even if the snow on the roof says otherwise. :D

You may very well be right.

I've got to see some photo's before I'll try it again.

I Googled it. The only reference available is a link to this thread... :eek:

If you google veal vallet there is no such thing. I have watched Sabatini's change over the years, from when it was the all you can eat until you die menu featuring very special items like fresh Portobello mushrooms and burrata (back when burrata was not on every restaurant menu), to the menu with the salt crusted branzino, lobster three ways, and the veal chop, to the next menu with a less elaborate preparation of branzino (no salt crust), to the one that is posted in this thread. It just seems to keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Now they are passing off polenta as a main course? I get it if your vegetarian but to anyone who's not, that's pretty much a side dish. No lobster dish anymore, even if it was a bit flimsy. Unidentified preparation/cut of veal, a boring chicken entree. It's just not anything to get excited about. I'm all about contemporary food, ingredients, preparation and plating. I don't need old fashioned food to be happy, just something that smacks of quality and a little extra expense since I'm paying extra to eat there. Trout rolls? It doesn't even sound good!

The old menu didn't do much for me and the new menu has the same effect. I am very happy for those who love the venue but I doubt we will be partaking of the Sabatini's offerings.