Power strip taken

Surfguyxxx

Just wanted to share a story. On my recent cruise to Alaska in May, we were on the Infinity. I had brought a power strip with me (along with a regular extension cord). The next morning, the steward in the room informed us that it had been taken and we would get it back at the end of the cruise. Apparently, on their last voyage, someone had a power strip and it caught fire.

I don't know if this is going to be a fleet wide decree but thankfully I had the extra extension cord, which they said was fine!

Just wanted to share a story. On my recent cruise to Alaska in May, we were on the Infinity. I had brought a power strip with me (along with a regular extension cord). The next morning, the steward in the room informed us that it had been taken and we would get it back at the end of the cruise. Apparently, on their last voyage, someone had a power strip and it caught fire.

I don't know if this is going to be a fleet wide decree but thankfully I had the extra extension cord, which they said was fine!

Got a good laugh from your post, check below list of prohibited items which clearly states electrical extension cords.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready

They have been taking power strips lately but your post just confirms that Celebrity's enforcement of their own rules is consistently inconsistent.

Here is the extension cord Celebrity furnished for hubby's CPAP. I'm sure it's much safer than your power cord!

Oh my! It looks like something I found in my Father's house when he moved to a retirement community. Except his had black marks on it :eek:, and he said he used it daily. I don't know how the house didn't burn.

This is what we take on all our cruises and because it doesn't have a power cord attached it seems to be allowed. We love the USB ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1435697874&sr=8-17&keywords=power+strip

It's not so much that it is allowed because there is no cord, but that without the cord it is not easily recognizable as a power strip, so it gets passed. The problem is that the Belkin has surge suppression, which is why most power strips are confiscated on cruise ships. There are many multiple USB ports, some even come with the European recessed round pin plug, that are not surge suppressors. I won't go into my why surge suppressors don't work, aren't needed, and are dangerous spiel again, just check my posting history, but I will say that the USCG has issued a Safety Alert regarding them.

It's not so much that it is allowed because there is no cord, but that without the cord it is not easily recognizable as a power strip, so it gets passed. The problem is that the Belkin has surge suppression, which is why most power strips are confiscated on cruise ships. There are many multiple USB ports, some even come with the European recessed round pin plug, that are not surge suppressors. I won't go into my why surge suppressors don't work, aren't needed, and are dangerous spiel again, just check my posting history, but I will say that the USCG has issued a Safety Alert regarding them.

What, then, do you recommend?

I don't recommend specific devices, but a google search for something like "6 port USB wall charger" leads to Amazon, Best Buy, and several other sites that will have USB chargers with 2-7 ports that are not surge suppressors. Just note those that don't mention surge suppression, because if it has that feature, they will advertise it.

Oh my! It looks like something I found in my Father's house when he moved to a retirement community. Except his had black marks on it :eek:, and he said he used it daily. I don't know how the house didn't burn.

LOL ken, I found similar scary stuff in my dad's house when he moved to assisted living... along with 3,000+ styrofoam takeout containers. At least Celebrity doesn't have a policy on those!

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Desktop-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology/dp/B00GTGETFG

Will charge up to 5 USB devices at once....and has enough power to charge multiple ipads at full rated current. works from 110-240V 50/60 hz...in other words most anywhere you can plug it in (use an adapter)

If you need more 110V outlets: http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-Go-4-Outlet-Power-Strip/dp/B00US37QCO/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1435709279&sr=1-3&keywords=monster+4+outlet+strip

Edited by ghstudio

Here is the extension cord Celebrity furnished for hubby's CPAP. I'm sure it's much safer than your power cord!

OMG! :eek: Too funny :D. However it wouldn't have been funny if it caught fire. Was that electrical tape or duct tape?

Edited by Iamcruzin

This is what we take on all our cruises and because it doesn't have a power cord attached it seems to be allowed. We love the USB ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1435697874&sr=8-17&keywords=power+strip

This is item I use. It works great.

WOW...that is perfect!

We also use the belkin product listed above...it is GREAT!

This is item I use. It works great.

And again, while these may work great as USB ports and multi-outlets, the surge suppressor function is not required onboard as there are fewer voltage spikes, and lower spike voltages than shoreside, and the ship's grounding system precludes lightning strikes from damaging electronics. They also cause problem alarms for the engineers and can cause accelerated corrosion onboard due to stray current in the grounding system.

Here is the USCG Safety Alert regarding surge suppressors:

uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Note that your household wiring is delta, while ships are wye, which is why these work well at home and travelling, but not on ships.

Hey that's cool. With my wife and I both entering the 21st century and each having a smartphone and tablet, additional plugs are definitely a major need for us now!

What I generally bring with is this: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435762907&sr=8-3&keywords=small+power+cord&pebp=1435762911187&perid=10XNQ9F85EKY35TM1SXN It does have a surge protector built in.

I like yours better and it fits more of what we need now!

I don't recommend specific devices, but a google search for something like "6 port USB wall charger" leads to Amazon, Best Buy, and several other sites that will have USB chargers with 2-7 ports that are not surge suppressors. Just note those that don't mention surge suppression, because if it has that feature, they will advertise it.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Desktop-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology/dp/B00GTGETFG

Will charge up to 5 USB devices at once....and has enough power to charge multiple ipads at full rated current. works from 110-240V 50/60 hz...in other words most anywhere you can plug it in (use an adapter)

If you need more 110V outlets: http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-Go-4-Outlet-Power-Strip/dp/B00US37QCO/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1435709279&sr=1-3&keywords=monster+4+outlet+strip

I was totally unaware of the surge suppressor issue until I read this thread. I've a Belkin unit and another multi-plug power bar that I've used in the past, but I've already placed an order for the Monster power bar and will put that in my travel kit when it arrives. Thank you both!

I have the Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip and it does not have a surge protector. No red reset button and the manufactures web site states it is not a surge protector.

Quite right. After reading ghstudio's post but before placing my order with Amazon.ca, I went to the Monster website to double-check the specs. The Q&A is very specific in addressing the fact that there is no surge suppression.

We've never had any problems with this device as well. We always bring it with us.

And while you may not have any problems with your electronics using this, be aware that it may not protect, and may in fact be dangerous to your electronics, depending on the presence of grounds elsewhere on the ship outside of your control.

Quite right. After reading ghstudio's post but before placing my order with Amazon.ca, I went to the Monster website to double-check the specs. The Q&A is very specific in addressing the fact that there is no surge suppression.

I have a strip with no suppression either. But what I have been doing lately is use the European outlets instead of the strip. I was on Summit last week and there were two US outlets and two European outlets. I take two European adapters so that gives me four outlets which is all that I need.