I know buying jewelry on board / in port is considered a bad idea, but ...

What about on the lower end of cost scale, in the low hundreds? Is it all still basically a scam at best, a risk at worst?

I don't know much about jewelry (and yes, this is a terrible starting position, which is why I'm asking), but I'm in the market for some costume jewelry (rings, specifically) and I'll be on the Oasis and in Cozumel next month, which seemed like a good opportunity to browse. I've been staring at Amazon all night and realized I'd rather see the stuff in person.

Please don't wind up to yell, I'm already leaning towards the assumption it's a bad idea, I just haven't seen too many threads about it besides somewhat dramatic "I got ripped off by Diamonds Intl/Effy/etc", and stories usually involving multiple thousands of dollars.

I can't speak to the quality of the merchandise, but I wanted you to know that if you buy stuff from the ship stores, the ship reports your purchases to US customs, so be sure to declare anything you buy. Maybe there's a lower limit and you won't be affected, but you should know it's possible.

If you see a piece you love, go ahead and buy it...especially the more affordable things! You are doing it as a bangle...not an "investment"...

If you're looking to spend thousands on an investment...do your homework and make sure you're buying what you want! I would stick with something in your own town....there truly are no "bargains" anymore.

If you're looking for costume jewelry, go for it. The prices are decent, and your risk is minimal. For real jewelry, be very careful, and remember, they are vendors, not actually a part of RCCL. If you have a problem, you will have to deal with them.

I've been shopping for years (yes, I get distracted by shiny objects ;p ). I have generally purchased what means something to me rather than for "a super-fantastic deal". I find that the things I have gotten, when I wear them now, bring back the exact memories of the cruise (and, personally, *that's* priceless to me).

Have fun (but don't get too caught up in the sales pitches!)!

Like any other purchase, if you like the item and are happy with the price then go ahead and buy it. If you are buying for investment purposes that is a totally different story but I doubt that is the reason for most purchases while vacationing. I think jewelry has more sentimental value than it does material value. Because of that only you can decide if the money you spent is a good value. But is is good to do some research you you at least have an idea of what the material value of an object might be.

If you go shopping, and are looking, offer 5% of the asking price, and watch the reaction. If they act insulted, than you have a winner and a starting point. Do not go over 25% of the asking price, and walk away. Act like you know what you are talking about.

Jewelry is one of the highest mark up items they will try to sell you in port.

My mother and I both bought some silver and amber jewelry onboard our Baltic cruise. It was competitively priced (well under 100 USD) and I had more faith it wasn't cut glass on the ship than I did for the shops in St. Petersburg. I think you are likely fine in the price point you are talking.

What about on the lower end of cost scale, in the low hundreds? Is it all still basically a scam at best, a risk at worst?

I don't know much about jewelry (and yes, this is a terrible starting position, which is why I'm asking), but I'm in the market for some costume jewelry (rings, specifically) and I'll be on the Oasis and in Cozumel next month, which seemed like a good opportunity to browse. I've been staring at Amazon all night and realized I'd rather see the stuff in person.

Please don't wind up to yell, I'm already leaning towards the assumption it's a bad idea, I just haven't seen too many threads about it besides somewhat dramatic "I got ripped off by Diamonds Intl/Effy/etc", and stories usually involving multiple thousands of dollars.

You buy whatever you are comfortable with and will enjoy.

One person's rip off story, (although good to be alerted) will not mean that everyone gets ripped off. Personally I would never buy anything from the ship recommended stores....that means I am paying 11% to 16% extra.

Good luck on your jewelry quest and enjoy!

its only 'bad idea' if you assume it is. costume jewelry ranges I price from $10-15 to low hundreds. a bad investment is up to you to determine. Learned long ago to not pay attention to cost. if you like it, and you are not sucking air through your teeth at the price, then BUY IT. if you will get enjoyment out it then who cares what it cost?!

I stick to the real thing, I am not a fan of costume pieces unless they are very high quality. but set yourself a budget of what you are willing to spend and then work with that. the stuff on board..well I wouldn't call it overpriced, but you won't be finding any real bargains either.

esp with rings which must be tried on and inspected for sizing if necessary. in Mexico, Sterling is plentiful and a fairly reasonable price no matter where you are. so if you like silver , you will almost certainly be able to fall in love with something.

Thank you, I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses.

If anyone has specific store recommendations in Cozumel, I'd appreciate it. I will be in downtown/San Miguel anyway. I'd love a non-pushy store as I don't have the right temperament to be a good barterer, but I understand that may not be a possibility.

I stick to the real thing, I am not a fan of costume pieces unless they are very high quality.

I'm probably misusing the term 'costume' jewelry ... (A quick google suggests that yes, I am misusing it.) I just wasn't sure if something that only costs, say, $1-200 qualifies as 'fine' jewelry.

Most all of the mainstream jewelry stores in the Caribbean have websites where their inventory is displayed with pricing. There is no reason to not do comparison shopping before your cruise. Lots also have a tuterial on buying jewelry

Most all of the mainstream jewelry stores in the Caribbean have websites where their inventory is displayed with pricing. There is no reason to not do comparison shopping before your cruise. Lots also have a tuterial on buying jewelry

Oh wow, thanks. Wouldn't have expected that part, so never bothered googling it.

Thanks again, this has been full of very helpful responses.

I do not agree that it is a bad idea to buy in foreign ports. Buying without proper research is a bad idea.

Years ago I wanted to buy a Rolex Submariner watch. I found out who was the authorised Rolex dealer in St Marten and priced it against an authorised dealer in Miami. My savings by buying it in St. Marten was just over $1,500. Generally Rolex does not discount their watches the savings was on the duty.

Research. great opportunities do exist.

One of the businesses we own is a vintage and costume jewelry business. Even though I buy the majority of my jewelry wholesale for the business, I always buy a trinket (costume jewelry under $250) while in port. I love the searching for that special piece of jewelry that will not only give me instant satisfaction but will bring back memories in years to come. Of course I can easily buy the same piece of jewelry cheaper thru my wholesalers, but it just isn't the same. So, go ahead and set your budget, shop around the port and then treat yourself to something that will hold a special place in your memory. (I can still kick myself in the butt for not buying a really cute pair of earrings while in Cozumel - never saw them anywhere else).

I can't speak to the quality of the merchandise, but I wanted you to know that if you buy stuff from the ship stores, the ship reports your purchases to US customs, so be sure to declare anything you buy. Maybe there's a lower limit and you won't be affected, but you should know it's possible.

This info from Host Bob is very accurate as usual. Don't forget to report all you buy but you better report what you bought on the ship or you will be busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have purchased a couple of silver rings in Cozumel. I paid about $100 or less for them and absolutely love them and get lots of compliments on them.

I did bargain with the shop workers and I was pleased with the price I paid. If I find that something is more than I want to spend, I just say no thank you and walk away. Usually, the sales person will ask what I want to spend and we go from there.

I have also gotten a few nice silver chains in Cozumel. I have some enhancers that I have purchased over the years that I really love and getting different chains give them a new look.

First, get some idea of prices before you sail from home. Second, the best thing to buy in Mexico is silver. Just make sure the piece is stamped with 925. Bargaining is expected in shops in Mexico and you will find that unless you are so low a reduction from the asking price will be yours. Enameled pieces are their speciality as well as anything made from onyx. None of these items will break the bank but will be treasured for years.

If you want some cheap trinkets, go to a local craft market in Mexico rather than buying from someone selling items on the street.

MARAPRINCE

Thank you, I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses.

If anyone has specific store recommendations in Cozumel, I'd appreciate it. I will be in downtown/San Miguel anyway. I'd love a non-pushy store as I don't have the right temperament to be a good barterer, but I understand that may not be a possibility.

I'm probably misusing the term 'costume' jewelry ... (A quick google suggests that yes, I am misusing it.) I just wasn't sure if something that only costs, say, $1-200 qualifies as 'fine' jewelry.

costume jewelry to me is say the Robert Lee Morris or Joan Rivers collections. $100 is not out of line for a statement piece.. that being said I have diamond studs that cost me $100 as well. my Garnet pieces are routinely under $100. my Fire opals.. yeah, not so much .

My wife bought a pair of french clip diamond earrings from the jewelry store onboard the Radiance about 10 years ago. We paid about $600 for them and have had no issues. It wasn't for investment, she just liked the earrings. I remember that they had a one year return for any reason guarantee on them. I don't know if they still do that guarantee or not since we haven't bought any fine jewelry onboard since.

I would not spend that much there,but if you like something, we were there in Cozumel a few months ago and my wife wanted a necklace they started at 700 we kept getting them down, while drinking there beer, finally said 150 was the most we would pay we walked out the store when we were half a block away they yelled at us that they would give it to us for 150

If you are into costume jewelry, buy it online from China from Ali or Dh or whatever for one tenth of the cruise price.

Don't buy a Citizen Eco-Drive, or Tag watch on board, buy it in St Martin.

Best prices I've seen for Eco-Drive were on Amazon.

got my ECO from a local jeweler .... showed him the online price and he matched it ....

he is a small business ... trying to stay alive

Great idea, I wish I could have found the particular model I was looking for locally.