Why no cabin yet?

As has been said many times here and you are not listening to people

You will get what you paid for at some point before you board the ship

You may get lucky & get a better Cat but maybe you won't

Celebrity is not NCL they will do things differently

It is not the Res agents that make the upsell offers it come from the revenue dept

If you are away .... when you arrive at the port just ask the porter if your name/cabin number is on his list

They will put a tag on your bag so it gets to your cabin

My advice next time just pick the cabin you want it is really not worth the stress by the sounds of things

JMO

well i just checked the inventory.. my category and higher is gone.. It is the insides and portholes they cant seem to get ppl to take.. I don't want stuck in that. I paid for a window NOT a porthole.. OF course i would be happy with a balocney..but no i would not be happy with a porthole. YOU WILL NOT BE ASSIGNED A CABIN IN A LOWER CATEGORY THAN YOUR GTY CATEGORY

There are only a few lower balconies left.. It is higher end balconies that they have many available.

I will be happy with any balcony on the ship.. I have been in a aft and forward balcony before.. I like the rocking of the ship anyway.. Since the outside windows are all gone, i can't understand why they dont just pick the lowest they got and put me in it.. It makes sense to give me the lowest one they got so they can sell the higher ones for more money..

i just want to print documents and not have any issues later at the port. :eek:

it does not have to make sense to you.

Never do guarantee rooms especially when you want a specific category - Its better to pay the additional costs than have panic attack whether you going to have the room choice or not. Guarantee rooms are for people who don't care about the specific categories as long as the room they get as has the minimum amenities they want.

It could be possible that one will get at the port, week or night before from embark day or even months beforehand; just have patience - Heck, you might winded up with a spa balcony because the oceanviews were sold out! The cruise lines will not give a room category lower than what you paid for and if they do, expect alot of OBC / refund because of it.

Edited by maywell

See it is so puzzling because I have booked GTY before.. Sometimes it was assigned even before final payment. always way before 44 days before the cruise. Ahhh, but you cannot expect everything to always work the same way as they always did in the past:)...on various cruiselines I have noticed that the GTY rooms seem to be assigned later in the last few years. Might be a new aspect of their yield management programming.

It was the same situation on the ncl..But they have let OC Oa and o1 get sold out.. and now low end balconies are selling out. That is what makes no sense to me.. Try to think of it this way, let's say they have 100 rooms in your category, they can sell them either as selected rooms or GTY. At some point they show Sold Out for that category. Maybe 75 were specific room bookings, and 25 were GTY. They could assign specific OC rooms to the 25 GTY bookings, OR they could wait until the other categories (such as inside or porthole) get closer to selling out and THEN decide how to assign people to specific rooms. It gives them more flexibility if they leave all of you in a 'holding pattern' rather than lock you into a specific room at this time.Once they lock you (or any other pending GTY into a specific room) the fewer options they have to shuffle everyone appropriately. Just try to remember that you will get an OC or Higher. The 'or higher' part requires flexibility to appropriately slot everyone else, and it is not when any given category reaches the sold out level.Geez at this rate they have to put in me in the Owners Suite if they wait much longer. It is the insides they cant get rid of, but they are already obligated to give me much higher than that.

So it is just so puzzling.. I kind of wonder why they have not done something to get the insides sold out. :confused:

Their yield management programming probably says they will still sell out those rooms at the current pricing, so there is no need to reduce them at this point in time.

The fact that a category is sold out does not mean that all cabins have been assigned.

By booking a guarantee, you put yourself at their mercy. They can assign you a cabin as late as when you arrive at the port.

yes Sir

i booked a cat OC GTY.. that is a window NOT a porthole. Portholes are cat OG and OF

If cat. OC is listed as a window cabin, then that is what you will get--or higher if you get lucky. They will NOT give you a porthole cabin.

We've done guarantees many times and have never had a bad cabin--usually it is a 'slight' upgrade, but sometimes the exact cabin class we booked.

We do usually get our cabin fairly quickly, but realize it could be at the dock. I know it's hard, but relax; you will get your window and maybe even something better.

Once you are assigned a cabin, and don't like it for some reason, on most cruise lines you can call and ask if there are any other cabins in the same category available; if there is they will change cabins for you. We've done that several times.

It's never a good idea to book a guarantee expecting a significant upgrade, like OV to Balcony. It happens, but not that often. We only do guarantees if there is quite a difference in price--I'm talking hundreds pp.

Good luck--really, you will be fine.

I don't understand why the OP does not get that people will be called and offered an upgrade to a balcony to free up her category. Lots of people with only a window would take a balcony for another 100 per person.

If you booked an outside GTY, you could well get a porthole. If you booked a specific outside category, one that only has windows, you will get at least that category.

Might not be a good idea for you to book GTY in the future.

Agreed , the OP is not a good candidate for a Category Guarantee .

Gotta be more patient .

From NCL,

Guarantee Oceanview

A Guarantee stateroom (GTY) guarantees an Oceanview stateroom or better! Please note that the view may be fully obstructed, partially obstructed, porthole or picture window or higher. Your stateroom may be on any deck and assigned up to one day prior to embarkation.

As you can see they will assign cabins as late as day of embarkation.

Just did a mock booking and nothing is sold out for any sailing in June.

And they are doing something to sell the insides, prices are as low as $399.00 and the second person is half price.

I booked an outside guarantee weeks ago on an Alaska NCL.. and my category was sold out several days ago.. in fact the 2 outside category above and the first category of balconies are sold out to.

SO why no cabin assignment yet? I don't think they are going to bump me up as high as they have available to sell it is mid ship balconies... I keep checking everyday.. I want to print out my documents.. I will be traveling soon and not have that much internet access.. If the cruise line held back for guarantees they should have assigned them by now.

They have lot of insides and portholes still available but I was promised I would get what i picked or higher. I actually cant understand why outsides are sold out and insides are not.. :(

You would probably get better answers on the NCL forum or your itinerary's Roll Call. People on both those sites better understand that line and that ship.

but that makes no sense.. if they had a "secret" room for me in that category i would think they would have given it to me by now.. i have a gty on celebrity for a cruise the week before and i was assigned that day.. i saved 60 per person by letting them pick the room. They were all on the same deck so i did not care..

Just because you are not aware of all the variables at play does not mean that the reason you have yet to receive a cabin assignment is nonsensical.

... they have let OC Oa and o1 get sold out.. and now low end balconies are selling out. ... I kind of wonder why they have not done something to get the insides sold out. :confused:

By the way, what makes you think that the various cabins are "sold out"? You have based this whole line of questions on the premise that you have accurate information. Do you have a way to inspect the NCL cabin inventory? I know that there are different sources of information on the "true" state of cabin availability, some better than others. But unless you are a TA or an employee, I would be surprised if you could get access to the full picture. That stuff is proprietary information, fairly closely guarded in a competitive market...

Have you tried calling your person at NCL to ask them what is up? Maybe they can unconfuse you, they are likely to have more information about the status of your gty than we ever will.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

You dont understand

I paid for a OC.. and it is sold out now.. and all outsides are sold out about OC.. OA and O1.. Sold out.. and even BD the lowest balcony is sold out.. I am sure they are not going to put me in a high end balcony that they can sell for double the price .. But i dont want to end up in the bottom of of the ship with just a porthole or maybe even a inside when I paid for an OC ..

I have done many Caribbean cruises.. this is my first Alaska but it seems so odd

On my last cruise, the category I booked sold out approximately 21 days from the sail date. I got my cabin assignment 6 days from departure. Relax, you will get a cabin at the level you booked or better. Might even be assigned at the port.

I also am booked GTY for an outside cabin Cat 6 on a Celebrity Cruise in 2 weeks. I upgraded from an inside to the GTY for 90 p/p and felt it was a bargain since any cabin in Cat 6 or higher is good for us. We upgraded 2 1/2 weeks ago and have not heard anything as of writing this. Our ship is also booked full for our type of cabin or higher (except the royal suite of course).

I have been reading many posts other than this forum and they basically all say that you get your Category or higher, but it could be any room.

I don't know what an OC category is on your cruise, but if you look up your ship and look at the cabins, you should see what OC category rooms are on the ship. You could be in any of these or in any cabin in categories that are better than what you booked.

I also do not know if it is true or not, but I also read that the closer to the departure you get your assignment, the better your chances of getting the upgrade. Also, the cruise lines also expect some people to cancel last minute, just like the airlines. I assume these last minute cancellations will be the cabins we get, if not, then we get the upgrade.

Good Luck!

Edited by bobs1016

Please don't stress, you've booked, you've paid and as everyone else has told you, you will get at least the cabin you paid for and maybe even an upgrade.

On a recent cruise with NCL we had a gty inside cabin and didn't hear from them until FIVE days before we sailed. And yes, we got an upgrade from an inside to an Ocean View (window).

I did slightly stress at such a late call, but at the end of the day we were booked on a cruise we wanted and we were simply glad just to be on board :)

Please let us know what cabin you eventually get.

I also am booked GTY for an outside cabin Cat 6 on a Celebrity Cruise in 2 weeks. I upgraded from an inside to the GTY for 90 p/p and felt it was a bargain since any cabin in Cat 6 or higher is good for us. We upgraded 2 1/2 weeks ago and have not heard anything as of writing this. Our ship is also booked full for our type of cabin or higher (except the royal suite of course).

I have been reading many posts other than this forum and they basically all say that you get your Category or higher, but it could be any room.

I don't know what an OC category is on your cruise, but if you look up your ship and look at the cabins, you should see what OC category rooms are on the ship. You could be in any of these or in any cabin in categories that are better than what you booked.

I also do not know if it is true or not, but I also read that the closer to the departure you get your assignment, the better your chances of getting the upgrade. Also, the cruise lines also expect some people to cancel last minute, just like the airlines. I assume these last minute cancellations will be the cabins we get, if not, then we get the upgrade.

Good Luck!

I made a mistake, I am Cat 5 not 6, which means Deck 6 or higher. We did Cat 5 because we did not want to be on the lowest 2 decks with rooms.

I made a mistake, I am Cat 5 not 6, which means Deck 6 or higher. We did Cat 5 because we did not want to be on the lowest 2 decks with rooms.

I have had GTY cabins on Celebrity and they always assigned me a cabin right away. To b honest i have never noticed much difference in cabin location.. The real difference to me is if you are on an inside or get a window or if you have a window or a baloney. But the motion of the ship that some say they feel at the aft or the forward does not bother me. I have done GTY before.. You should wait until your cat that you will be happy with is sold out and only taking GTY bookings, then take a highest guarantee in that cat.. That way if they have to upgrade you, you go from a inside to an outside or from an outside to a balcony.

Which cruise are you on?

The cruise i can seem to get an assignment on for weeks is an NCL.. all cruise lines seem to be different.:confused:

Edited by squeeky336

I have had GTY cabins on Celebrity and they always assigned me a cabin right away. To b honest i have never noticed much difference in cabin location.. The real difference to me is if you are on an inside or get a window or if you have a window or a baloney. But the motion of the ship that some say they feel at the aft or the forward does not bother me. I have done GTY before.. You should wait until your cat that you will be happy with is sold out and only taking GTY bookings, then take a highest guarantee in that cat.. That way if they have to upgrade you, you go from a inside to an outside or from an outside to a balcony.

Which cruise are you on?

The cruise i can seem to get an assignment on for weeks is an NCL.. all cruise lines seem to be different.:confused:

We are going on the Constellation on May 16 out of Venice. We also did as you recommended and got the highest GTY for OceanView we could. Although there was a higher category, the ship has very few room in that category. Even so, I counted the cabins in our category and above in OceanView and there are only about 32. Most of these are oversized and/or for handicapped. If we get any of the 32, we would be happy. Otherwise, if not, then an upgrade to balcony would be in order, which would be terrific.

I am actually excited and anticipating the cabin assignment. No worries at all.

We are going on the Constellation on May 16 out of Venice. We also did as you recommended and got the highest GTY for OceanView we could. Although there was a higher category, the ship has very few room in that category. Even so, I counted the cabins in our category and above in OceanView and there are only about 32. Most of these are oversized and/or for handicapped. If we get any of the 32, we would be happy. Otherwise, if not, then an upgrade to balcony would be in order, which would be terrific.

I am actually excited and anticipating the cabin assignment. No worries at all.

well that is great.. it just seemed total opposite than what i happen for me.. i took a GTY outside lower cat and was immediately assigned the higher one.. but it worked out great .. My cruise is to Alaska so different part of the world ;)

Which cruise are you on?

No matter what categories are sold out there is not a guarantee YOU will be upgraded. Princess now offers an upsell to passengers when they need cabins in one category and have unsold cabins in a higher category. That way they get additional revenue and still give everyone at least what they booked.

Yep, that's what folks are saying, the cruise line is trying to do upsells to free up an OV. While you may not pay $1,000 more, there may be someone willing to pay a few hundred more. Often times, an upsell goes for something less at the last minute than the differential on the booking engine.

Why haven't they called you? Pretty much because those of us that book GTY are pretty much bargain hunters gambling on getting lucky.

The cruise line will not contact people who have contracted to a minimum grade guaranteed cabin deal and ask them if they would like to pay another $1000 or even $10 extra to upsell. This is because those people have already entered into a contract that guarantees a minimum grade of cabin for the price they have already paid within this is the possibility of a better or higher grade cabin. So the issue of extra money is contrary to their contract i.e. if they get a better cabin it is at no extra cost according to their existing contractual agreement with the cruise line.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

You dont understand

I paid for a OC.. and it is sold out now.. and all outsides are sold out about OC.. OA and O1.. Sold out.. and even BD the lowest balcony is sold out.. I am sure they are not going to put me in a high end balcony that they can sell for double the price .. But i dont want to end up in the bottom of of the ship with just a porthole or maybe even a inside when I paid for an OC ..

I have done many Caribbean cruises.. this is my first Alaska but it seems so odd

Lots of people book guarantees. Those who booked guarantees of a higher level than you did will get either the level they booked or higher - as you will. Until EVERY cabin is spoken for. - either by being specifically booked or filled by someone being upgraded, things will remain in flux. The fact that there are no "unbooked" cabins in your category does not mean that all are spoken for - they just have not assigned specific cabins yet - and may not until you actually show up to board. They will, of course try to get people to buy upgrades.

Next time, if you really need to know your cabin in advance, book it in advance.

The cruise line will not contact people who have contracted to a minimum grade guaranteed cabin deal and ask them if they would like to pay another $1000 or even $10 extra to upsell. This is because those people have already entered into a contract that guarantees a minimum grade of cabin for the price they have already paid within this is the possibility of a better or higher grade cabin. So the issue of extra money is contrary to their contract i.e. if they get a better cabin it is at no extra cost according to their existing contractual agreement with the cruise line.

Regards John

A cruise line will make deals for moves from one type (OV) to another (Balcony) for US pax. Twice in my experience.

A cruise line will make deals for moves from one type (OV) to another (Balcony) for US pax. Twice in my experience.

Well thank you for letting me know that

I will keep that in mind if I don't get a cabin assignment soon..

;)