Holland America's Explorations Central Will Feature Travel Guides, Discovery Tables a

LauraS

This concept is a blatant attempt on the part of HAL to make money via excursions and cruises. To top it off, the EXC has taken over the prime spot on the ship - the Crows Nest. Shame on you, HAL! You really think that the majority of your passengers are this gullible?

This concept is a blatant attempt on the part of HAL to make money via excursions and cruises. To top it off, the EXC has taken over the prime spot on the ship - the Crows Nest. Shame on you, HAL! You really think that the majority of your passengers are this gullible?

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the EXC is planned to enhance, not take away, the space where the Explorations Cafe/library are located now on those ships that will receive this new travel center (Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle class ships). It does look as if the library is to be restructured to contain books (fiction and non-fiction) focused on the ports of call, rather than a general library, and I agree with you that this aspect is disappointing, although it ties in with the concept of a multi-media travel center. According to the artist's rendering in the article, at least as I viewed it, the Crow's Nest appears to be designed to continue as it currently exists. The Crow's Nest and the Explorations Cafe currently share space already on the Visa, Signature, and Pinnacle class ships with the exception of Noordam, I believe.

Also, I don't understand your first sentence, as isn't the sole purpose of HAL's existence to "make money via excursions and cruises"? As I read it, the EXC concept will "rebrand" the Shore Excursions and Future Cruise Consultant's desks, entities which already exist on board to make money for HAL. I think the "Explorations Central" sounds very interesting. This is one concept that I hope will work out as imagined. So I guess that makes me gullible.:) Or at least, even more gullible than I already am, because I continue to cruise even though I know it's simply a platform for others to make (take) money from me.

From the artist's drawing of the new facility, it is difficult to make a firm judgement as to what this is going to be like.

My impression from what I saw is that EXC is going to take over all that is now the Explorations Cafe and extend much further towards the Port side of the Crow's Nest than it now does. Thus, seating that could be used for sightseeing, reading, playing games, etc. will be reduced. I did not see the Coffee Bar shown in the drawing. Nor did I see the regular bar now in place nor does the drawing show what the Port side of the Crow's Nest will look like. What happens to the Captain's Corner area?

The concept of providing more detailed information about ports of call for a specific cruise does appeal to me. The lack of additional non-destination related books is an error in my opinion. The Virtual Bridge concept will be a winner, I'll predict.

It will be interesting to see how this concept develops. It may be like the "ideas" that led to the modification of the sterns of the Veendam and Rotterdam and the addition of Lanai staterooms to some of the ships. Apparently, the reality of what was done was different from the original concept and, perhaps, the acceptance of such a concept?

What will happen to the area of the vessels that now house the Shore Excursion Office? That area, it seems to me, could be re-purposed.

From the artist's drawing of the new facility, it is difficult to make a firm judgement as to what this is going to be like.

My impression from what I saw is that EXC is going to take over all that is now the Explorations Cafe and extend much further towards the Port side of the Crow's Nest than it now does. Thus, seating that could be used for sightseeing, reading, playing games, etc. will be reduced. I did not see the Coffee Bar shown in the drawing. Nor did I see the regular bar now in place nor does the drawing show what the Port side of the Crow's Nest will look like. What happens to the Captain's Corner area?

The concept of providing more detailed information about ports of call for a specific cruise does appeal to me. The lack of additional non-destination related books is an error in my opinion. The Virtual Bridge concept will be a winner, I'll predict.

It will be interesting to see how this concept develops. It may be like the "ideas" that led to the modification of the sterns of the Veendam and Rotterdam and the addition of Lanai staterooms to some of the ships. Apparently, the reality of what was done was different from the original concept and, perhaps, the acceptance of such a concept?

What will happen to the area of the vessels that now house the Shore Excursion Office? That area, it seems to me, could be re-purposed.

Your impression of what will become of the Crows Nest is also my impression. And somewhere I read that alcoholic beverages will be served "in the evening." While I appreciate other's belief that this new concept is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I personally hope that it eventually goes the way of stale bread - into the trash can.

And this has nothing to do with "uncommon, common sense." It is purely a matter of one's personal preferences.

We have traveled the world since our early 30's. Always have done our own research and travel about 2 months out of the year!

Love HAL, but for us having the crows nest turned into a IMO a time share approach venue ultimately feeling that it is a place where instead of relaxation it is a place to push spending $$$$ on their excursion is not what we enjoy. I understand that a lot of people do not have the time, or enjoy researching and would benefit possibly from this new approach. Early mornings was a time of going to the exploration cafe to get our coffee fix and relaxing and enjoying the view! We always have a great

Balcony view but it has always been a tradition the crows nest early am!

Cocktails 🍹 early evening was wonderful!

We will just have to see what is in store!

We are doing a WC on the Viking Ocean in 2019, just because of all the cut backs and changes.

This is not a get down on HAL issue just an opinion!

Denise:)

Why can't this be done in the Shore Excursion area? All they'd have to do was enlarge that area. I do agree that taking space away from the Crows Nest is not the way to go. There are days you can't get a seat up there now, i. e. bad weather, sea days etc. Don't get me started on the library.

Allan

Wonder what would happen if the Crow's Nest was full of people watching the scenery, chatting, and reading, and the Explorations Team came in to take over for a presentation, and nobody left. If they just kept on with what they were doing.

Might be fun to find out. ;)

Another article, additional pictures, a broader look at the layout on Nieuw Statendam's EXC and a peek at a unique spot on the new ship's Crow's Nest all the way forward. I think this concept is fantastic

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/holland-america-line-has-engaging-additions-in-store-for-2017.html

It looks worse than I envisioned. Where is the library? Where is the bar? Where are the pleasant lounges to just sit and watch the ocean roll by? Nowhere! I simply do not see the attraction of being inundated with "destination" info that I had already studied before stepping foot on the ship. But, that is just my feeling, but one that will determine what cruise line we will sail in the future.

Another article, additional pictures, a broader look at the layout on Nieuw Statendam's EXC and a peek at a unique spot on the new ship's Crow's Nest all the way forward. I think this concept is fantastic

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/holland-america-line-has-engaging-additions-in-store-for-2017.html

InTheWASide, Thanks for the link - it definitely adds to my excitement over EXC.

As a Carnival Corporation shareholder, I am pleased to see HAL come up with another way to make money (for us shareholders), especially when it does not involve a cut in services. So I guess HAL may also have a bit of uncommon common sense.

:*

It looks worse than I envisioned. Where is the library? Where is the bar? Where are the pleasant lounges to just sit and watch the ocean roll by? Nowhere! I simply do not see the attraction of being inundated with "destination" info that I had already studied before stepping foot on the ship. But, that is just my feeling, but one that will determine what cruise line we will sail in the future.

Ditto to that TampaGirl!!

We also looked at the other pic and agree with you! IF what might be the bar area it looks like it is combined with the Exploration Cafe. The ombiance would not even be the same. Most of the relaxation lounge chairs with the wonderful window views seem to be taken away with lecture area and where is the library. Again just my opinion and others might enjoy this.

Have a great day all!

Denise:)

Well I guess we'll find out soon, because Westerdam will have Explorations Central installed during her upcoming dry dock in Palermo in May prior to her 2017 European season. I'll be interested in reading the reports of the roll out:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=EXC_Announcement&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&legacy=true&WT.mc_id=email_HEP1711MP2&WT.dcsvid=058474396&stop_mobi=yes&lid=primarycopy

Thank you for posting this link. I appreciate seeing a more complete probable pictorial of the space.

I count a range of 63-71 seats that might be available for sightseeing from the Crow's Nest. Others at the "interactive" tables could also be moved, I suppose, but are not included in my count.

I see no "cocktail-oriented bar". There is a pantry behind the current Bar from which, I suppose, adult beverages could be served. (No more friendly interaction with bartenders and fellow guests would be a side-effect.)

The elegant Captain's Corner, that has served as the Welcoming Ceremony for many initial Port visits, now becomes the in-elegant Theater EXC. With what appears to be another video screen just forward of that area.

The extension of the forward mid-ship windows on the Nieuw Amsterdam, creating what appears to be a dead space: what is that going to look like from the exterior? There were concerns raised when the "sunglasses" were applied above the Bridge on the S- and R- Class ships.

While I support the concept of providing more detailed port information, which is and has been woefully lacking for many years on most cruises, what I see in this conceptual drawing is very disappointing to this Mariner. A very special Holland America space, a lounge that many other cruise ships do not have, but whose itineraries compete with HAL's as to scenic interest, is being lost. The current scenic capabilities of the Crow's Nest ought to be, if it isn't, a significant selling point in encouraging people to book a HAL cruise.

InTheWASide, I do agree that the "concept" is fantastic. The planned execution of such leaves me very unimpressed and disappointed.

It's interesting to see this description of what HAL is planning to do, since on a recent tour of Koningsdam we were just told that they are doing away with the libraries. I was visiting from Prinsendam, which happened to be in the same port that day, and it breaks my heart to think of the Prinsendam's library - among the best at sea - being vandalized in this way. I, too, am a shareholder, and I think the proposed changes will turn off their traditional base without luring in the millenials that are such a tempting target for them. After hearing this news, I started noticing the proportion of cruisers who were reading real books instead of e-readers in public areas of the ship. 19 out of 20, at any given moment, had real, physical books. There were not many millenials I noticed on this cruise, but they typically don't have 67 days at a time free for travel, nor the money to spend on cruises of that length.

Since I mention Koningsdam, i will confess that I detested everything about her except the theater. My favorite things about HAL ships have always been their manageable size, their wrap-around promenade decks complete with traditional deck chairs, and their kind and cheerful staff. K-dam loses on size, the promenade deck is ridiculously narrow and deck chair-less, and the staff didn't look all that happy. On their mid-sized ships, I have always felt I was a welcome guest as well as a walking wallet. I did not feel that way on K-dam.

Anyone remember the movIe, play, How to Succeed in business without really trying? t This makesw me think of the c haarcter who was always the chaeerleader and would call black white even if it bit him. :D :D:halo: Just to siddle up with the 'powers. :)

Anyone remember the movIe, play, How to Succeed in business without really trying? t This makesw me think of the c haarcter who was always the chaeerleader and would call black white even if it bit him. :D :D:halo: Just to siddle up with the 'powers. :)

I believe the song you're remembering is called "The Company Way."

I wonder how much of the destination-specific stuff is really going to happen. They will have to staff the area in order to have all these activities: "language and cultural etiquette lessons, hands-on discovery of local items and products, participatory programs covering music and dance and storytelling sessions"

I'm all for more activities on board, but I'm wondering what staff will be cut to make room for this "team of experts"?

And how will they make up for the loss of revenue since the bar will be only at night. I think that's what I read in one of the articles from that link. Sounds like there will be coffee service by day and booze by night?

[quote=3rdGenCunarder;52640761

And how will they make up for the loss of revenue since the bar will be only at night. I think that's what I read in one of the articles from that link. Sounds like there will be coffee service by day and booze by night?

I was wondering the same thing. Apparently Ashford believes that they will sell enough cruises and/or excursions to make up the difference. I'm also wondering how this area will be transformed in the evening to attract the cocktail and after dinner groups. Sitting at a desk with my glass of wine doesn't paint an enticing picture.

We sailed on Veendam a few months after her refit. Two of the four "interactive" games tables were already not working. Normally there was a line waiting for the tables that did work. By the end of our cruise, only 1 table worked properly. We saw passengers banging on the surface when games wouldn't load as expected. I wonder if these new interactive sightseeing tables will have better software/hardware to withstand any abuse.

Like many have already said, I research extensively before leaving home. I usually have private tours lined up or have booked HAL tours. While many people may be excited about this new venue, we aren't. The Crow's Nest has been a cherished spot for watching the world go by and for taking the occasional nap. Since we always book an inside room, it's one of the places on the ship where we enjoy the view and sometimes a drink. We've enjoyed the library in the past, especially it's wide array, and I've never felt the need to drag books from home. Now, all that seems to be ditched by corporate, and I am saddened that HAL doesn't seem to treasure tradition any more. Yes, I understand that the cruise line needs to offer new venues, but to do so at the cost of a treasured location doesn't seem like a good decision. Time will tell whether this new spot becomes a fantastic addition or a monumental flop.

I believe the song you're remembering is called "The Company Way."

[/quote[

Yes,, I am......... I think that song is from How to Sudded in Businss.......... "Ill follow the company way, whatever the c ompany s ays with me 's okay. :D

I wonder how much of the destination-specific stuff is really going to happen. They will have to staff the area in order to have all these activities: "language and cultural etiquette lessons, hands-on discovery of local items and products, participatory programs covering music and dance and storytelling sessions"

I'm all for more activities on board, but I'm wondering what staff will be cut to make room for this "team of experts"?

....... Who wants to sit at such a table, after (or before) dinner, with a glass of cognac , wine or whaever? Not me. Howe v er, I've enjoyed a glass or two ( or more) istting att the bar in CrowsNest throughout the fleet.

The resistance to change is strong--but, I fear, futile.

Carnival has two lines and 17 (soon 18) ships dedicated to a market that is shrinking. Koningsdam has revealed the brand strategy. Cunard will keep the classic elements, and HAL is being positioned to go head to head with Celebrity. Viewed within that context, a piece of real estate as large as the Crow's Nest cannot be expected to be left to stagnate.

To those who cannot bear the change, the good news is likely that the Prinsendam, the S-class and the R-class ships will be left untouched. Until they're sold, that is.

The resistance to change is strong--but, I fear, futile.

Carnival has two lines and 17 (soon 18) ships dedicated to a market that is shrinking. Koningsdam has revealed the brand strategy. Cunard will keep the classic elements, and HAL is being positioned to go head to head with Celebrity. Viewed within that context, a piece of real estate as large as the Crow's Nest cannot be expected to be left to stagnate.

To those who cannot bear the change, the good news is likely that the Prinsendam, the S-class and the R-class ships will be left untouched. Until they're sold, that is.

Stagnate??? The Crows Nest was probably the most popular spot on the ship, and the bar and drink stewards were kept busy. Also, what shrinking market? Carnival Corp. will disagree, and by the way, they have far more than two cruise lines, including HAL, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard, Carnival P&O, and Costa.

And if you don't think that complaints don't register with HAL, ask the CC posters about the earlier wine ban and the current re-thinking of doing away with HAL's libraries.