Women. Clothing for long flights.

MeMe4A&J

As I pack I'll keep checking the weight before adding lots of extras. I'm packing 4 jeans, 2 dress pants, tops for day and night with one pair of flat dress shoes. 2 pairs of touring shoes and will wear my boots. I haven't traveled at this time of year on a river cruise. The first cruise is Paris to Normandy The second cruise is a wine-themed cruise. In Burgundy and Provence.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our Gore-tex jackets are from Lands End but we've had them for 5 years or so. They've been great and we do fit them over our fleece jackets. Are you saying that Lands End doesn't sell Gore-tex any longer or that they are misidentifying the material?

Since Gore-tex is a name brand, if your item is made from Gore-tex, it will be identified as such.

Currently, Lands End does not offer any gore-tex products on their website. But companies change designs and materials all the time.

(we are BIG gore-tex fans in this house! It's hard to find dressier clothing that is waterproof & breathable, but we have found a few options that will fit when we don't want items that are quite as sporty. Gore-tex isn't cheap, as mentioned above, but if you are regularly in wet environments, so worth it! Buy quality clothing and treat it well and it will last a long time - cost per wear metric for my stuff is great :p)

As I pack I'll keep checking the weight before adding lots of extras. I'm packing 4 jeans, 2 dress pants, tops for day and night with one pair of flat dress shoes. 2 pairs of touring shoes and will wear my boots. I haven't traveled at this time of year on a river cruise. The first cruise is Paris to Normandy The second cruise is a wine-themed cruise. In Burgundy and Provence.

Pat

Just a quick suggestion for your dress shoes. I bought black ballet slippers that weigh nothing and literally fold in half for packing. I also would bring 4 jeans, but I would pack 1 dress black and only wear them to dinner with the black flats and a dressy top. Black jeans will stay clean (and often look clean even if they're not:D) I wear my most comfortable jeans on the plane and don't count them in my packing, but keep them as a back up in case of emergency.

Since Gore-tex is a name brand, if your item is made from Gore-tex, it will be identified as such.

Currently, Lands End does not offer any gore-tex products on their website. But companies change designs and materials all the time.

(we are BIG gore-tex fans in this house! It's hard to find dressier clothing that is waterproof & breathable, but we have found a few options that will fit when we don't want items that are quite as sporty. Gore-tex isn't cheap, as mentioned above, but if you are regularly in wet environments, so worth it! Buy quality clothing and treat it well and it will last a long time - cost per wear metric for my stuff is great :p)

Thanks for the clarification. Since they last so long I'd never noticed that they weren't available at Lands End any longer :D.

--from another Hoya (SFS)

Edited by capriccio

Thanks for the clarification. Since they last so long I'd never noticed that they weren't available at Lands End any longer :D.

Lands End went through an unfortunate takeover by Sears. I hope they will recover their mojo now that they are independent again.

I have a great dress/walking shoe to take along. They are mary janes by Propet. Most comfortable shoes I own. I am taking one or two dress pants. I have several dressy tops, too.

Pat

I have a great dress/walking shoe to take along. They are mary janes by Propet. Most comfortable shoes I own. I am taking one or two dress pants. I have several dressy tops, too.

Pat

Hi Pat:)..I don't own any but I have heard Propet are really comfy and

supportive too.

Me too! (SFS ;))

Our river cruise was December - my shoes were Haglof goretex walking shoes, Keen knee high leather boots (soft ones - no zipper- but thick rubber sole with good grip in case of wet cobbles) and Privo mary janes for warm days and on board. For a 13 day trip, I had 3 black pairs of pants (1 water resistant from Mountain Hardwear, 1 skinny cords, 1 Chico traveller) and 1 black merino wool dress (Patagonia). The Chicos I wore only for dinner, the dress for dinner and sometimes during the day, otherwise for days I swapped out the MH and the skinny cords. It was a good "light packing" trip for me - I was very happy with the limited choices.

I generally pack a pair of black cords and one pair jeans for cold weather trips, as well as black ponte leggings that I like to tuck into knee high boots. I wear Nike Dr FIt half zips over cami's or a longer length, fine gauge sweater. I dislike bulk so choose my fabrics carefully.

For dinner I pack one pair of tailored black slacks and a variety of jersey tops (I like Eva Varro, Sympli) I have a White House/Black Market black merino wool dress that I wear to dinner a couple of times, and I dress it up with belt, scarves, patterned hose.

My evening shoe is a black fabric Donald Pliner bootie with a 2.5 inch heel. Goes with everything, weighs nothing and fun to wear.

I will soon start laying out my clothes for our trip next month and always start with more and then pare down.

Edited by caviargal

I live in Chico's clothing. Dress pants are Travelers. I am hoping the weather doesn't get too cold or rainy. My boots are ankle lined with fur ... Waterproof. I have Propet sandals so when I could get the dress shoes that were great for walking and dress I grabbed them ... Love them!

I start packing Monday.!!!

Pat

I am planning my flight wardrobe for my very long flight next week from LA to Sydney (15 hours YIKES). My choice (as of today) and that could change because I am a woman and we tend to do that sort of thing with our clothes.

I have a soft, cashmere sweater dress, tights, and leopard ballet flats. A pretty scarf for accent and pashmina to wrap and cuddle with.

We are flying business class and Qantas provides pajamas from what I have read.

Plan on putting on my jammies and settling in with a nice glass of champagne and hope for the best. Also, a good book is in order.

I once saw a report in 20/20 how to survive an airplane fire. One thing that stayed with me is not to wear polyester. Wear only natural fabrics. The polyester will melt into your skin.

That was a long time ago (not sure if I heard it on 20/20 or somewhere else) but I remember it too :D - the consequences are so dire I don't think I could ever forget it. I always wear cotton.

That was a long time ago (not sure if I heard it on 20/20 or somewhere else) but I remember it too :D - the consequences are so dire I don't think I could ever forget it. I always wear cotton.

I remember that as well. It was right around the time they did a show on how disgustingly dirty the sink water is in the bathroom. It has more contaminants than the toilet water. Antibacterial wipes are what I've used ever since.

Thanks for the great clothing suggestions everyone. It's good info to know when you're not used to cold weather.

I am planning my flight wardrobe for my very long flight next week from LA to Sydney (15 hours YIKES). My choice (as of today) and that could change because I am a woman and we tend to do that sort of thing with our clothes.

I have a soft, cashmere sweater dress, tights, and leopard ballet flats. A pretty scarf for accent and pashmina to wrap and cuddle with.

Plan on putting on my jammies and settling in with a nice glass of champagne and hope for the best. Also, a good book is in order.

Your outfit sounds lovely....for a dinner party or work or something land

based (in my opinion). I cannot imagine wearing a dress and tights on

a flight....especially on a 15 hour flight......:eek:

Actually, I don't even own any tights.

Your outfit sounds lovely....for a dinner party or work or something land

based (in my opinion). I cannot imagine wearing a dress and tights on

a flight....especially on a 15 hour flight......:eek:

Actually, I don't even own any tights.

Actually...it is more comfy than pants because it is like a long sweater. The tights are opaque and would be similar to wearing leggings. Trust me, I travel a lot and want to be as comfortable as possible. I also have the PJ's to put on for sleeping that are provided and the sweater dress folds up neatly for arrival.

Actually...it is more comfy than pants because it is like a long sweater. The tights are opaque and would be similar to wearing leggings. Trust me, I travel a lot and want to be as comfortable as possible. I also have the PJ's to put on for sleeping that are provided and the sweater dress folds up neatly for arrival.

Whatever works for you:)...it would not be more comfy for me. A long

sweater would not work for me either.

Glad you have a comfortable outfit for such a long flight....:) oh,

I do agree we all want to be as comfortable as possible....we all just

have our own ways of dressing comfortably.

Different strokes for different folks:)

Pat

Your packing sounds like mine! I wear flat Mary Janes to dinner as well, usually leggings and long tunic tops that can be dressed up or down and that fold up really tiny, as do the leggings. Jeans during the days and sometimes to dinner if I'm rushed.Plus, who cares if you wear the same top a few times?? I have a down jacket that folds up into its own pocket that I got from Lands End and I love it. Last April we could throw it into our daypack and if I needed it it was there, it weighs nothing and takes up no room. I've been using packing cubes that I got from Rick Steves that are really great. Underwear in one, shirts others, etc, everything is all sorted out and neat and easy to find. They are mesh so you can see through them.

Have fun packing and have a great time!!!

Thanks, Dobie! I need to be sure I don't overpack. One good thing about Frans France is that not everyone from Paris to Normandy will continue to the Burgundy and Provence Not that I'm a fashion-plate ... Just want to be comfortable and warm enough. I do use Avalon's laundry service so I don't take too many tops!

Pat

I got spoiled on long flights where PJs were provided so now I take along a pair for long flights where they're not provided. I did this for our overnight flight from Miami to Amsterdam in business class on Swiss. It's so nice to have fresh clothes to put on for arrival vs. something I've slept in. I generally wear leggings with a tunic and slip on shoes for ease at the airport. My ankles sometimes swell so I've found that compression socks help while on the flight. Oh, and I wouldn't travel without my Bose noise cancellation headphones. :)

I got spoiled on long flights where PJs were provided so now I take along a pair for long flights where they're not provided. I did this for our overnight flight from Miami to Amsterdam in business class on Swiss. It's so nice to have fresh clothes to put on for arrival vs. something I've slept in. I generally wear leggings with a tunic and slip on shoes for ease at the airport. My ankles sometimes swell so I've found that compression socks help while on the flight. Oh, and I wouldn't travel without my Bose noise cancellation headphones. :)

Exactly!! I also bought the compression stockings for under my Jammies. I should get the Bose headphones (good idea) but also I never forget my satin eye gear to keep the light out. I am also old fashioned and try to look by best while still being comfortable on a flight. Thanks for the Bose tip :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, bubbulz, but I just have to ask, since I fly business class on Lufthansa and KLM, neither of whom provide pajamas...so here's my question: you say you bring your own jammies and change into them to sleep and then change into your street clothes....I've noticed in my travels that everything is bigger in business EXCEPT the bathrooms, so how do you find room in that closet they call a bathroom to change clothes??? :D