Take food off ship?

kdg83

Hi, wondering if we can take snacks off the ship with us when we go onto the islands? We are traveling with our children who are always eating/hungry at different times and would make things much easier if we can bring food (muffins, sandwiches?) off the ship with us in the backpack? We will be on royal princess and have never cruised before. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In most of the Caribbean if not all, you are not allowed to take food off the ship unless it was commercially prepared and packaged. That means no sandwiches you made on the ship and no fruit etc. One thing that can be taken off is cereal in small boxes.

Hi, wondering if we can take snacks off the ship with us when we go onto the islands? We are traveling with our children who are always eating/hungry at different times and would make things much easier if we can bring food (muffins, sandwiches?) off the ship with us in the backpack? We will be on royal princess and have never cruised before. Thank you

Almost all island countries prohibit fruit and fresh veggies. Some have inspectors at the port exit. So leave that stuff on board. Baked muffins and sandwiches with deli meats or p,b&j should be ok. Realize that you would have to bring your own baggies or wrap. Factory wrapped foods such as candy bars, granoloa bars are ok. Read the country specific information provided in the Princess Patter and the port information.

Almost all island countries prohibit fruit and fresh veggies. Some have inspectors at the port exit. So leave that stuff on board. Baked muffins and sandwiches with deli meats or p,b&j should be ok. Realize that you would have to bring your own baggies or wrap. Factory wrapped foods such as candy bars, granoloa bars are ok. Read the country specific information provided in the Princess Patter and the port information.

Forget the sandwiches and muffins... they will likely be confiscated and you could be fined. There are dogs at the ports that are trained to sniff for food.... wrapped (in the original wrap) bars are ok. Best to have a good breakfast, then have a snack or lunch ashore.

We bring snacks from home in originally package if we know we have ports with long days. We just pack them in the suitcases there and then take them out with us when/if we need them. Agree that don't expect to be able to take items off. I couldn't even bring a hot chocolate I got on ship off ship when we were in a US port. I had to either toss it or chug it down before they would let me off.

Buy snacks that are in factory-sealed packaging. Granola bars, goldfish, that kind of thing. In some ports you will be allowed to take of unopened factory sealed items (if it says in the Patter, do not bring any food, then leave these items in your cabin). These are laws for the countries you are visiting, and are for the protection of the ecosystems and agriculture for them.

If you are just doing your own thing in ports, then you will have the flexibility of going to local eateries or find a grocery store for snacks. But most ports will allowed the items I've mentioned above that can tide your family over until you stop for lunch, or return to the ship for lunch (some people might return, eat, and then leave the ship again).

If you are going on an excursion that lasts more than a few hours, check to see if meals or snacks are included. My family did go on one all-day tour that included lunch, but it turned out I couldn't eat the sandwich provided (the guide went to his favorite deli, but the sandwiches were prepared with condiments that I couldn't have...it would have been nice if the sandwiches were plain so you can add condiments. we stopped at a park to eat so all I can have was the fruit and cookie). from then on, I would pack snacks in my purse when allowed, but usually the meals provided weren't problematic for me.

We bring snacks from home in originally package if we know we have ports with long days. We just pack them in the suitcases there and then take them out with us when/if we need them./QUOTE]

This, along with having a good breakfast before leaving the ship, is the best advice. A supply of granola bars does not take much space in your suitcases.

No food or drink from buffet/restaurants except water are allowed of the ship. If tthey are in factor packaging they might be allowed. If seen beef jerky confiscated because it was a meat product even thou is was in a factory sealed package.

At the risk of being disagreeable... a common complaint lodged by those around me, we have often taken a picnic meal with us, especially for "on your own" tours. Prime rib left over from the night before, or whatever, some good Princess rolls or baguettes, etc. Often whatever condiments we want as well. Don't recall seeing dogs anywhere, except here in the States. I wouldn't try to bring those things into the US, but a day in Paris or Amsterdam on your own, only begs for it. The worse that I think would happen is that they take your kids' burger or steak sandwich away. Easily worth the risk in our book.

I realize that we haven't done this in about 2-3 years, so maybe the "food confiscation ****'s" have come out of the woodwork, since.

Edited by Cobra427SC
update info

At the risk of being disagreeable... a common complaint lodged by those around me, we have often taken a picnic meal with us, especially for "on your own" tours. Prime rib left over from the night before, or whatever, some good Princess rolls or baguettes, etc. Often whatever condiments we want as well. Don't recall seeing dogs anywhere, except here in the States. I wouldn't try to bring those things into the US, but a day in Paris or Amsterdam on your own, only begs for it. The worse that I think would happen is that they take your kids' burger or steak sandwich away. Easily worth the risk in our book.

I realize that we haven't done this in about 2-3 years, so maybe the "food confiscation ****'s" have come out of the woodwork, since.

I've read in these threads that there are special rules for the EU. Essentially, the EU treats the cruise ship as travel within the EU.

BTW, those ""food confiscation ****'s" are trying to help others so they do not wind up paying fines or going to jail. You should be very careful not to mislead people.

• Like 1

We usually either pack our own protein bars or grab a box of cereal at breakfast to take with us when we scuba dive. Pre-packaged is pretty much all they allow. I know Mexico uses dogs & it seems like we were somewhere else in the Caribbean that had dogs in port. Didn't know if they were only for drugs, but I'm sure not gonna take any chances.

I've read that what most people assume are drug dogs really are agricultural dogs.

My guard unit went to Korea for summer camp four years in a row. The most difficult part was getting the gear cleaned and inspected for any possible agricultural contaminants. One speck of dirt, rewash the truck. That meant a 3 or 4 hour wait to get back on the wash rack.

Prepackage foods ONLY...don't even try to bring sandwiches, fruit or anything that's NOT PREPACKAGED! They do check...and there are fines...or even arrests for breaking the laws of each country.

You can BUY food ashore...after all, folks LIVE there, and eat daily!

Edited by cb at sea

Europe is fairly lax. Mexico, the Caribbean, Canada, the US, Australia, New Zealand, and most of South America are pretty tight.

Have seen dogs at ports checking for food in New Zealand, Mexico, Chile, and some islands in the Caribbean.

To the OP, do you think you could plead with your kids to please have something before you go ashore? You didn't mention how old they are, but, if they get hungry, you should just return to the ship so they can eat, then go back ashore. Under no circumstances, would I jeopardize myself by taking food off ship, maybe if the kids are old enough, maybe they would understand this.

Not allowed and in some ports they have dogs sniffing your bags.

My grand kids always pack granola bars when on shore excursions. They seldom consume them though since they always have a hearty breakfast at the buffet before heading to the tour.

There are many power bar options in your local grocery so check those out - make it an adventure with your kids (depending on their ages) so they can be involved in the selection.

Typically there is a small sign and trash receptacle when debarking the ship - most people walk right by it without noticing. People DID pay attention in Cozumel when all passengers were waiting in a long line on the pier for a mandatory inspection by local authorities, which included an adorable yellow lab next to a table loaded with fruit and other munchables snagged from the Horizon Court.

Edited by LoriPhil

We understand parents that let the kids make the rules. So that being the case the situation is clear. If you take food off the ship (hidden in a backpack or somewhere) you will be fine unless there is a dog working. In that case, the dog will alert and you will be caught. In most cases they will simply take the food and let you go. On the other hand, if somebody is having a bad day perhaps they will decide to make a big issue out of your violation....which will certainly ruin your day (and also your kids).

On the other hand you can simply follow the rules of the host country (which is polite and classy thing to do) and not take food off the ship. If your kids get hungry you can either tell them "sorry my precious ones, but you will have to wait until we get back to the ship" or perhaps, you might spend a few dollars (OH MY GOD) and buy them something locally!

Hank

P.S. Sorry in advance but a lifetime of extensive travel has given me a dislike of the UGLY AMERICAN syndrome.

Edited by Hlitner

It's not always as simple as just wanting a snack. People with diabetes or hypoglycemia may need to refuel before the allotted lunch break. I don't get on a flight with my diabetic husband without a protein bar in my bag. We've had enough long delays that I've learned to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app