Amount of children on cruise :)

ashnmar

Besides the roll call, and people contributing their input,

is there any other way of finding out how many children onboard

a particular cruise.

I'm taking my 15 year old on Celebrity Solstice departing Sydney

March 25th, 2017

Would like to know if there are any other children/ teenagers onboard :)

I don't think there will be a large number of teens on board at that particular time - it is during school term for all Australian states.

A few states break on April 1 (Victoria and Queensland) with the majority breaking for school term holidays on April 8. Not sure about international school holidays & OS students travelling though.

I have read through the few Celebrity threads regarding kids (out of Australia) but haven't really found a lot of information. I will be sailing with a 14 & 9 year old in January and am expecting that there will be quite a number of kids given it is the height of the summer/Christmas holidays.

Common (polite) comments are that those on board tend to be considerate and well behaved, but not commonly seen. Certainly doesn't appear that Celebrity attracts crowds of raucous families!

I will be interested to see if anyone responds to your question with first hand experience (particularly sailing from Sydney).

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Further to my previous response (and re-reading your post) I don't believe that Celebrity would disclose the expected/booked demographic of a particular cruise. You could always try calling their customer service number and see if you connect with a helpful operator!

Further to my previous response (and re-reading your post) I don't believe that Celebrity would disclose the expected/booked demographic of a particular cruise. You could always try calling their customer service number and see if you connect with a helpful operator!

That's a good idea. I will give customer service a call and see if they can give me some information.

Do you know if the arcade games on the ship cost money?

Edited by ashnmar

That's a good idea. I will give customer service a call and see if they can give me some information.

Do you know if the arcade games on the ship cost money?

Yes, they do cost to play. Sometimes they have 'free' times linked to the club activities, otherwise it's an extra cost ;).

a particular cruise.

March 25th, 2017

We will be disembarking that day at Sydney (please excuse the tears if you see me!!). I've got my 2 boys (7 and 10) on the March 13 Great Barrier Reef cruise which I suspect will have very few children on board. I am a terrible father that books holidays and then looks at school holiday dates (and usually gets it wrong!). I will try and fix that bad habit, but we always make sure that there is a good educational and cultural aspect of the vacation.

Enjoy! :cool:

a particular cruise.

March 25th, 2017

Look at it this way. Just think of all the quality family time you will be spending with your kids if there isn't any other kids on board for your kids to hangout with. ;o)

a particular cruise.

March 25th, 2017

We did a Solstice cruise from Perth to Sydney in March, 2013 and there were few children on the cruise.

We have found that long couple of 7 day cruises that we have done had more younger people and more children.

also, find out when the local school holidays are.

On the Eclipse recently, we saw 2 younger babies, about 8 kids around 6-8 and a slack handful of tweens/teens, I doubt more than 20 kids in total if that.

We only saw the majority of them as the funclub brought them to the hot glass show we attended and the oldest looked about 8, the rest were younger.

I cruised with my 17-year-old son on a Spring Break cruise last year. I hoped he would meet other kids his age. Most of the kids we saw, and there were not many, appeared to be with large family groups, and stuck to themselves. My son did go out by himself a couple of evenings when I was tired. He met the DJ, listened to music, and generally enjoyed himself, he said. I felt totally safe letting him do this, BTW. Not sure if he met any kids his age then. He totally loved the entertainment, which surprised me, and insisted we go every night. I waited this long to cruise because I feared seasickness, which never happened, and now I'm trying to schedule as many cruises as possible for us, because our first was so enjoyable.

We are booked on the Infinity next July on an Alaskan cruise. Our son, who will be 14, doesn't want to go. Besides his general dislike of vacations (away from friends, away from his computer and video games, and sometimes spotty cell reception), he has the feeling he will be bored on the cruise.

We sailed on the Majesty of the Seas this past March during spring break, and every teen activity was cancelled due to lack of interest. A crew member told us that there were almost 900 passengers under the age of 18 on the ship. My observation was that there were many large family groups, so that several cousins who were teenagers decided to hang out together, rather than go to an organized activity.

I'd like to think that an Alaskan cruise will be like our cruise during the summer of 2015, on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Harwich, England. Our son had a great time at all of the teen activities.

Has anyone sailed to Alaska with teenagers on Celebrity, and did they enjoy the teen program?

We are booked on the Infinity next July on an Alaskan cruise. Our son, who will be 14, doesn't want to go. Besides his general dislike of vacations (away from friends, away from his computer and video games, and sometimes spotty cell reception), he has the feeling he will be bored on the cruise.

We sailed on the Majesty of the Seas this past March during spring break, and every teen activity was cancelled due to lack of interest. A crew member told us that there were almost 900 passengers under the age of 18 on the ship. My observation was that there were many large family groups, so that several cousins who were teenagers decided to hang out together, rather than go to an organized activity.

I'd like to think that an Alaskan cruise will be like our cruise during the summer of 2015, on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Harwich, England. Our son had a great time at all of the teen activities.

Has anyone sailed to Alaska with teenagers on Celebrity, and did they enjoy the teen program?

Yes. The wildlife excursions are amazing. We were on a whale watch with maybe a dozen people and a family of whales (mama, papa, and baby) were swimming and breaching very close. It was exhilarating and my kids couldn't stop talking about it. We also took a small (5 passenger) sea plan through the glaciers and landed on a pristine inaccessible lake nestled between them. Then we were invited to step out onto the pontoon and dip our hands into the water. We also went salmon fishing (4 people). Three caught huge salmon, which they offered to prepare for us for dinner and then have the rest smoked and sent to us at home. The trip was amazing and my children still talk about it. We saw so much wildlife. Bald eagles galore, whales, bear, moose, pod of otters rolling in the water, etc. The children/teen program was great but my kids wanted to spend the time with us in port. The program was wonderful for evenings and sea day.

It has been my experience that kids in their early teens sometimes need to be dragged along. They get anxious about the unknown. As long as you don't succumb to the urge to say "I told you so", they usually have a great time. If for no other reason that they have a little more autonomy on a ship. My daughter would get herself so anxious that she would get a stomach ache about the thought of going to the teen program. I told her to give it a try and if she didn't like it we'd find something to do together. She made a couple friends and by the second day I was begging her to set some time aside for me. They banded together and sometimes went on their own and sometimes went with the planned activities. Everyone at this age needs to be gently encouraged to go beyond their comfort zone a bit. You should be sure to make certain that he signs up and attends on day one when everyone is new to each other and in the same boat so to speak. That is key.

Also, there are a couple threads about kids on board Celebrity. There are always more kids, in all age groups, then most passengers see. The staff in charge of the activities carefully plan the activities to be away from the rest of the passengers. The older kids usually tend to hide out in areas they find themselves alone at, like the ping pong tables on the top deck.

On the Eclipse recently, we saw 2 younger babies, about 8 kids around 6-8 and a slack handful of tweens/teens, I doubt more than 20 kids in total if that.

We only saw the majority of them as the funclub brought them to the hot glass show we attended and the oldest looked about 8, the rest were younger.

The number of kids you see and the number there are, are often vastly different. The different age kid's programs make a concerted effort to plan most of their activities away from the adult passengers.

Common (polite) comments are that those on board tend to be considerate and well behaved, but not commonly seen.

They might not be seen but they were heard, running down the corridors at all hours of the day and night, sometimes as late as 11pm.

Our Solstice cruise last Christmas was the first and only time I have ever noticed noise from outside the cabin, or from adjoining cabins. I think the cabin walls must be thinner on Solstice.

It has been my experience that kids in their early teens sometimes need to be dragged along. They get anxious about the unknown. As long as you don't succumb to the urge to say "I told you so", they usually have a great time. If for no other reason that they have a little more autonomy on a ship. My daughter would get herself so anxious that she would get a stomach ache about the thought of going to the teen program. I told her to give it a try and if she didn't like it we'd find something to do together. She made a couple friends and by the second day I was begging her to set some time aside for me. They banded together and sometimes went on their own and sometimes went with the planned activities. Everyone at this age needs to be gently encouraged to go beyond their comfort zone a bit. You should be sure to make certain that he signs up and attends on day one when everyone is new to each other and in the same boat so to speak. That is key.

Here's our problem. We have an only child who is an extrovert. He's not opposed to going anywhere. He's just opposed to going only with his parents. So, youth fellowship at church: yes. Going out to dinner with only his parents, no. Going out to dinner with another couple and a classmate of his: yes.

The problem was that on the Majesty this past spring break, every teen activity was cancelled due to low turnout. Our prior vacation was a bit of a bust for him. We were supposed to meet friends in Colorado, along with their daughter. But, they had a death in the family and had to cancel. So, no kid to talk to and lousy cell service in the Rockies for texting his friends at home.

If we can be certain that multiple teen activities on the Infinity won't be canceled due to low turnout, then our son will be far more pleasant during the cruise.

a particular cruise.

March 25th, 2017

Ask your travel agent they can tell you.

Here's our problem. We have an only child who is an extrovert. He's not opposed to going anywhere. He's just opposed to going only with his parents. So, youth fellowship at church: yes. Going out to dinner with only his parents, no. Going out to dinner with another couple and a classmate of his: yes.

The problem was that on the Majesty this past spring break, every teen activity was cancelled due to low turnout. Our prior vacation was a bit of a bust for him. We were supposed to meet friends in Colorado, along with their daughter. But, they had a death in the family and had to cancel. So, no kid to talk to and lousy cell service in the Rockies for texting his friends at home.

If we can be certain that multiple teen activities on the Infinity won't be canceled due to low turnout, then our son will be far more pleasant during the cruise.

Please let me preface my response with a statement that it is not intended to offend you in any way, nor cast your son in a negative light. That said, I also think vacations should be fun for all. Kids need vacation a much as adults. However, your son needs to learn that seeing new places, having new experiences, and being with his parents are all worthwhile precious times. Even if he doesn't appreciate that now, he will later when he looks back on these times. I promise, he will not remember who is texting or what games he is playing etc. I also know that it is within his power to make you as his parents miserable with sullen expressions, negative attitude, sulky demeanor etc. He needs to know this is childish behavior (although I know common)and I'm sure he doesn't want to be treated like a spoiled child. He also, at this age, needs to learn how to make his own good time. How many kids would love to go anywhere with there parents but never have the opportunity to. I would not change my plans at all based on whether there will be other kids on board. I would also tell him that he'd better have a smile on his face and be pleasant or his cell phone will disappear for a good amount of time when you return.

That's my two cents, and again, my intent is not offend..merely offer a been there, done that view of my experiences.

If you can't find families with teens on your roll call , or are able to bring along a frIend or cousin...you know it will not be fun for him or you, unless some of the excursions pique his interest..Infinity is an older ship....nicely updated but no rock wall, ziplines, flow riders or places to meet other teens!

Our worst vacation ever was when our dtr..now grown.....was a young teen, We rented a fabulous beach house at Nags Head...lots of space, pool, beach, ocean, ferries, lighthouses, etc. We took her and grandma..

All she wanted to do was stay indoors...listen to music...watch tv. She did cooperate with family fun but was lonesome for same age buddies...they seem to need the herd,.at times

We are currently on the Milli Dec 9 Asia cruise and have a 10 yo son and 12 yo daughter with us. We were wondering how many other kids will be on the cruise and we happy to find out that there are 50 ish kids under 18 yo. Both our children have met friends at kids club and are enjoying their friend time.