Upgrading your cabin once onboard.

sue58

Has anyone ever upgraded their cabin once they boarded the ship for their cruise.....inside to outside, outside to balcony, etc?

Does anyone know how this would be handled and how they would determine the difference in price you might have to pay for the upgrade - assuming cabins were available?

Has anyone ever upgraded their cabin once they boarded the ship for their cruise.....inside to outside, outside to balcony, etc?

Does anyone know how this would be handled and how they would determine the difference in price you might have to pay for the upgrade - assuming cabins were available?

So, from experience this November, I knew a room was showing as available two nights before and I wanted to see the cost for an upgrade (there were actually a lot of open rooms the day before sailing on that cruise, which I found unusual because most cruises we have been on come close to selling out at least). I called Celebrity two days before sailing, they could not help because the manifest had been sent to the ship but said to ask the Purser's desk once I got on board. So in San Juan, I rushed on board and directly there to be told they can't do anything at the Purser's desk until after sail away. The Purser's desk said I should have checked with the last minute sales people in the terminal? I didn't see anyone out there and the people that checked me in didn't know anything about upgrades, etc. I didn't bother going back out of the ship to try and ask or look around. So, if there are rooms available, I would ask first before you get on the ship (but I can't ask you where), then after sailing, if there are rooms still available they may be able to help at the Purser's desk. Everything I have heard though is they don't give many "deals" even at the port and it is just still the going rate.

Thanks AlbertaCruisers. I will ask before I board and also ask after we set sail. I like the cabin I already have but there are currently some really good deals on much better cabins for not much more money.

I did talk with Celebrity but they told me they couldn't/wouldn't talk with me about it because I had booked through a travel agent. I knew it was unlikely they would do anything but I had just wanted some information about a possible ugrade but they said I had to deal with the agent.

I don't want to deal with my travel agent because of the huge mess that was made of my booking which took 6+ weeks to clear up. So I'll see what happens when I get there. :)

Did you ever get an upgrade on your cruise or did you stay with what you had already booked?

We had some problems with our cabin (too noisy specially at 4.OO am) on a B2B cruise with the Millenium. We have tried to change our cabin by upgrading. We did not succeed. We were downgraded to a lower category but at least our cabin was not making noises anymore.

However on the same cruise, later on we met at the Elite social event with two couples who apparently were upgraded on board without additional payment. I think the upgrading was at the discretion of the chief purser.

I was on a b2b last year on the Summit and was in cabin 3011. I HATED that cabin because of the noise of banging doors and talking in the hallway. The corridor leads to the stage so after the shows there was a lot of staff coming out of the theatre and going to their quarters? There were 5 non-cabin doors in that short corridor and they all had doors that slammed - probably fire regulations but still very annoying. The worst door was opposite my cabin and down a bit - the staff came and went through that one.

I asked over and over again if I could be moved ANYWHERE else on the ship, a lesser cabin, a better cabin where I would pay the difference - anything! and was told to come back later, they would try, they understood my concerns, etc - nothing was ever done. I asked a few times on the second part of the b2b as well and again, nothing could be done.

We were really frustrated trying to do this on our B2B on Summit in October. I knew the rooms were available because the future cruise salesperson checked for me- we wanted to upgrade for the second leg. They told us to come back on turnaround day and then we put in the formal request. We got a call back that none of the rooms we requested were available. Since we made the upgrade request at 8am (and offered to pay- we weren't asking for it to be free) and there were five FV cabins left available, I find this really hard to believe. I think they just didn't want to be bothered.

Given the agent had given us poor information about the room we booked (that there would be a sofabed and not an upper berth, we really wanted to move since our four year old wouldn't sleep in the upper berth, which I explained to them. The rollaway left us no space to move in the cabin at all.

It was annoying, to say the least, but what could we have done? nothing much.

• 1 year later...
I was on a b2b last year on the Summit and was in cabin 3011. I HATED that cabin because of the noise of banging doors and talking in the hallway. The corridor leads to the stage so after the shows there was a lot of staff coming out of the theatre and going to their quarters? There were 5 non-cabin doors in that short corridor and they all had doors that slammed - probably fire regulations but still very annoying. The worst door was opposite my cabin and down a bit - the staff came and went through that one.

I asked over and over again if I could be moved ANYWHERE else on the ship, a lesser cabin, a better cabin where I would pay the difference - anything! and was told to come back later, they would try, they understood my concerns, etc - nothing was ever done. I asked a few times on the second part of the b2b as well and again, nothing could be done.

is this area of cabins really that bad????

Someone on this thread said they could see available cabins before sail. Where would you see that? On their website?

Yes, do dummy bookings at X website and see at least 5 cabins in each category available, if still available. If booked solid, the cruise won't appear.

Yes, do dummy bookings at X website and see at least 5 cabins in each category available, if still available. If booked solid, the cruise won't appear.

Or, check on celebritycruises.co.uk - create a test booking in your cabin class and you'll see all of the available cabins in that class.

Normally Celebrity upgrades people before they get to the terminal.

Just off the Equinox and there was a couple in Michaels Club that found out their cabin was changed from a Sky Suite to a Celebrity Suite when they arrived at Check-In. They were VERY concerned about their luggage since it was tagged for the Sky Suite. This was a free upgrade. They were 2X Elite Plus. I am 2X Zenith and have not been offered a free upgrade in 10 years:confused:

By the time you are onboard they almost always have a sign at guest relations saying "Full Booked".

I booked a inside on a T/A a few years back and felt very confined first day I was there. Went down to guest relations and on the way there met the Asst Hotel Director, and asked him what the possibilities were to upgrade, and also told him I would be happy to pay for the upgrade. He said he would look into it.

By the time I returned to my room was already a message from him, saying they had found me a C2 instead, and the upgrade would be complimentary. Very generous of them

And as someone mentioned about viewing available rooms. It's a strange thing that if you go to the Celebrity UK site celebritycruises.co.uk ‎ you're able to see all available cabins in a given category, while if you use the US sitecelebritycruises.com you will only see 5 available in any given category

Edited by johhnnyt

I booked a inside on a T/A a few years back and felt very confined first day I was there. Went down to guest relations and on the way there met the Asst Hotel Director, and asked him what the possibilities were to upgrade, and also told him I would be happy to pay for the upgrade. He said he would look into it.

By the time I returned to my room was already a message from him, saying they had found me a C2 instead, and the upgrade would be complimentary. Very generous of them

And as someone mentioned about viewing available rooms. It's a strange thing that if you go to the Celebrity UK site celebritycruises.co.uk ‎ you're able to see all available cabins in a given category, while if you use the US sitecelebritycruises.com you will only see 5 available in any given category

Thanks for that tip. I hate having to keep selecting different cabins to see what else is available. BTW, loved your luggage on HNL to YVR. See you on the Solstice.

Johanne

Or, check on celebritycruises.co.uk - create a test booking in your cabin class and you'll see all of the available cabins in that class.

I went to the site and created a test booking and found the price (in euros) much less than what I paid (even converting the euros to dollars) for the same class. Question is, can a US citizen book through this site and if so, if it is paid with a credit card, would the conversion rate still be less than booking in the US? How would this work?

I went to the site and created a test booking and found the price (in euros) much less than what I paid (even converting the euros to dollars) for the same class. Question is, can a US citizen book through this site and if so, if it is paid with a credit card, would the conversion rate still be less than booking in the US? How would this work?

I am an American but I don't live in the US. I have booked cruises on websites in 3 different countries but in order to get that rate, you must have a credit card in that country. The rates are tailor made to whatever countries site you are on. This does however work for airlines sometimes. You can switch the country and get a lower rate but in my experience, it doesn't work with cruise lines (& I've tried several times).

In regards to the exchange rate, if you have a credit card with no foreign fees, you will get near to the advertised forex rate.

You can book through the UK, however, please be advised that any deposit you pay is NON REFUNDABLE. That is not true for bookings in the US.

is this area of cabins really that bad????

I think this area is THAT BAD. I would try to get a cabin in any other location if possible and would only stay in this area again if I really wanted to go on a specific cruise very badly, couldn't get a cabin in a different area and if I could get an extremely good deal.

I'm sure it would depend on the staff/entertainers on the cruise - if they like to stand in that hallway and talk after the last show of the evening or if they just move through the area. I'm pretty sure the doors slam because they are fire doors, maybe that wouldn't bother everyone. Also it would depend on what your schedule is like when you cruise. I tend to get up very early and so might be winding down or in bed by 11 some nights, also it might be hard to take an afternoon nap because of staff coming and going. Just things to consider.

The cabins I'm talking about are 3001 - 3011. I think the entertainers might be in 3001? - closest access to backstage. I think any numbers above 3011 would be normal noise-wise.

I think along with the noise of the cabin what bothered me almost as much was the apparent lack of concern or interest shown by the staff at customer service. Tell me there is absolutely no chance of changing cabins when I first ask, don't keep me in suspense for days on end by telling me you'll look into it.

Thanks for that tip. I hate having to keep selecting different cabins to see what else is available. BTW, loved your luggage on HNL to YVR. See you on the Solstice.

Johanne

I agree about the Celebrity site. There are a number of on-line TA sites that show you ALL the rooms available in each category. Much easier to use and they give you the pricing, as well, without having to do a dummy booking. I can't name them, but you should be able to find them or ask someone on your roll call. Celebrity needs to change it's site!

• 1 month later...

Are you sure the price quoted was in Euros on a British site?

I'm boarding an X cruise in 2 weeks. I'm going to give this a shot. I'll update everyone here if I'm successful. I'm sure I won't be but I'll try!!

We went on an Alaskan cruise last July in a veranda guarantee (last minute Tuesday special). I knew they had several unsold Aqua's and asked for an upgrade after we got inboard. We got a phone call from guest services prior to sailing offering us an Aqua on deck 11. Since we wanted a covered balcony, we declined but were then given one with a covered balcony. I think it may depend on the availability of unsold cabins. Good luck

• 2 months later...
I'm boarding an X cruise in 2 weeks. I'm going to give this a shot. I'll update everyone here if I'm successful. I'm sure I won't be but I'll try!!

I tried to upgrade with no success but I must say guest services really tried. They called me twice over 2 days to update me they were working on it. I wasn't successful but I will surely continue to try as I sail other cruises as I now see this is actually possible.

Best of luck upgrading!

• 6 months later...

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any further information. We are considering upgrading for our upcoming cruise; there are still a LOT of cabins available two weeks out. We'll upgrade pre-cruise if the price comes down to a price we're willing to pay, but we were also thinking about just waiting it out and seeing if they offer any deals once we're onboard. It sounds like they don't offer many great deals onboard, though, at least from this thread.