Embarkation Day Must Do List

12Mermaids

I've been reading many threads here and love the "HAL for Dummies" pages. Thanks to everyone who contributes answers to us newbies!

Here's a list of what I should do, in what order--What Am I Missing?

0. Drop carry-on luggage if stateroom is ready.

1. Go to front desk (?) and ask for list of cooking classes. Registration fills up fast, so that's first on my list.

Question: Is it possible to register for computer classes in advance, as well?

2. Check daily menus, and rearrange my PG reservations if the MDR is serving something I like better.

3. Go to spa for tour and purchase pass for thermal suite (if I don't buy online in advance).

Question: are the best spa deals for services offered on embarkation day or later in the sailing?

4. Look for beverage steward and, maybe, purchase beverage something.

Question 1: Where do I find the beverage steward?

Question 2: I couldn't find a clear answer in my searches, is the 15% gratuity charged on a beverage card? It's like a pre-paid debit card for beverages, as I understand it, and the gratuity doesn't show up on the final bill.

Question 3: I have a $100 beverage card for booking during the anniversary sale--should that be enough for one person on a 7-day cruise? I don't drink much alcohol and no coffee. I'm the Duchess of Pepsi, but understand Pepsi products are limited on HAL (if available at all). I will have hot chocolate, bottled water, some soft drinks, and maybe a drink special if it sounds interesting. If I need more than $100, what do you suggest?

5. Find best location for sail away photos of Vancouver.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice and opinions you can offer.:)

Departing Vancouver on 14 September aboard the Volendam for a 7-day r/t Alaska cruise.

In my experience the computer classes are first-come, first served on the day of the class (on some cruises people line up a half hour in advance).

The cost of the drink plus the gratuity will be taken off your balance on the beverage card which should be in your cabin when you arrive. Unless I am missing something, there is no need to find a beverage steward.

After you use up the $100 beverage card just have the cost of the drink put on your onboard account. No real advantage to buying another card. I didn't even spend $100 on drinks on my last 7-day cruise.

Have a great time!

Edited by Scrapnana

Very good to know about the computer classes and the line forming so early!

And thanks for the guestimate on the beverage card! I know I wouldn't get value out of the SBP, but wasn't sure about another card.

Thanks for wishing me a great time--I'm SO excited about this cruise.

The best deals for the spa/hydrotherapy pool, etc. Is on embarkation day.

Depending on itinerary, it can fill up fast, so head up to the spa on embarkation day and get it booked ;)

There are specials for spa treatments (ie. Massage, etc.) during the cruise. They will either be in On Location or on a pamphlet in your mail box.

If you want to order a drink for sail a way, the bar stewards are at the aft pool, Lido, bars, etc. Sail a way out of Vancouver,the aft pool (sea view pool) is a nice spot.

Have a great time :)

I've been reading many threads here and love the "HAL for Dummies" pages. Thanks to everyone who contributes answers to us newbies!

Here's a list of what I should do, in what order--What Am I Missing?

0. Drop carry-on luggage if stateroom is ready.

1. Go to front desk (?) and ask for list of cooking classes. Registration fills up fast, so that's first on my list.

Question: Is it possible to register for computer classes in advance, as well?

2. Check daily menus, and rearrange my PG reservations if the MDR is serving something I like better.

3. Go to spa for tour and purchase pass for thermal suite (if I don't buy online in advance).

Question: are the best spa deals for services offered on embarkation day or later in the sailing?

4. Look for beverage steward and, maybe, purchase beverage something.

Question 1: Where do I find the beverage steward?

Question 2: I couldn't find a clear answer in my searches, is the 15% gratuity charged on a beverage card? It's like a pre-paid debit card for beverages, as I understand it, and the gratuity doesn't show up on the final bill.

Question 3: I have a $100 beverage card for booking during the anniversary sale--should that be enough for one person on a 7-day cruise? I don't drink much alcohol and no coffee. I'm the Duchess of Pepsi, but understand Pepsi products are limited on HAL (if available at all). I will have hot chocolate, bottled water, some soft drinks, and maybe a drink special if it sounds interesting. If I need more than $100, what do you suggest?

5. Find best location for sail away photos of Vancouver.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice and opinions you can offer.:)

Departing Vancouver on 14 September aboard the Volendam for a 7-day r/t Alaska cruise.

I think most of your questions have been answered, but just want to give you a round of applause for such a well researched, concise post!

Another stop we make on embarkation day is at the library as the best selection is always on day one. I could be wrong, but I think this is also the best time to purchase an internet package, if needed. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I think there is an embarkation day special for internet packages.

A word of caution, the spa often has several drawings on embarkation day. If you chose to sign up for these, plan on spending about half an hour listening to spa promotions at the time of the drawing, which is often near sail away time. I would much rather spend that time at the Aft Pool activating my beverage card;)

I don't believe that the entire cruise daily menus will be available on Embarkation Day to review. Generally the menu is posted only for each day, after breakfast/lunch. Do you mean to check which nights are Gala Nights and then change your PG reservations accordingly?

Should you find that you're using the beverage card more than you thought you would, you can always buy another one. But, as Scrapnana suggested, it's just as easy to use your ship card. It'll just make for a longer bill at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I could be wrong, but I think this is also the best time to purchase an internet package, if needed. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I think there is an embarkation day special for internet packages.

I haven't seen the bonus Internet minutes offer in ages. Since I'm one who always buys a package, usually on the first day, I noticed when it disappeared.

At least now I don't have to be in such a rush to get there!

The 15% gratuity shows up on the receipt you will get for each beverage and if you have a beverage card, the drink + gratuity amount is deducted with each purchase and the remaining amount on the card is also listed on the receipt.

Have an awesome time!

Edited by take us away

First things we do is check where our dining table is and go to the Explorers Lounge to request any changes. Then unpack and get everything out of the way before muster drill.

Only then does our cruise truly begin as we sip our one traditional Tropa-Mango-Mojitos in the Crows Nest as we sail away one more time saluting each other for our good fortune to out on the high seas once again.

I haven't seen the bonus Internet minutes offer in ages. Since I'm one who always buys a package, usually on the first day, I noticed when it disappeared.

At least now I don't have to be in such a rush to get there!

Ruth, I had it on the Westerdam on my B2B Panama Canal/Pacific Island 2016 cruises. I don't remember if it was on every segment or only one - but I used it at least once. With 56 days in a row and three embarkations; it is hard to remember now. I do remember seeing it on the internet sign-up page.

Ruth, I had it on the Westerdam on my B2B Panama Canal/Pacific Island 2016 cruises. I don't remember if it was on every segment or only one - but I used it at least once. With 56 days in a row and three embarkations; it is hard to remember now. I do remember seeing it on the internet sign-up page.

LOL on the 56 days and the three embarkations or am I jealous? ;)

I think it may have been on your Panama. Quite sure it wasn't offered on the Westerdam South Pacific portion but they offered unlimited for that one. I posted the internet packages on my live thread.

I confess I haven't seen the offer on the last few cruises we have been on. It used to be prevalent.

As long as we are talking internet packages….

I will be on three different ships this fall and likely signing up for an internet package- a first for me at sea! What is the best way to find out about what internet packages are available? I have noticed they seem to be different on different sailings/ships/times of the year. Is the best way just to post to CC a week or so before my first sailing?

(For reference, I will be on Koningsdam, Zuirderdam and Nieuw Amsterdam this fall.)

Lately we haven't even had to go to the internet person onboard to get the packages; we turn on our computer and it comes up to the HAL ship site which as the info on how to get registered (if it's your first time registering) and the choices are listed. You pick a package and a password and you are good to go.

We go find the internet person, often at the library desk, when we need adjustments or instructions. In my opinion it's gotten easier over the years, maybe we've just slowly learned. m--

When you log on to your computer/tablet and open a browser, the HAL Internet screen should open. There you will see the current internet options.

HAL is still experimenting with internet packages so they may be different for each cruise/ship.

Strange. One of my options was unlimited. I wonder if ships that have that option don't have plans with the bonus minutes?

However, this was the first time I've been on a ship with the unlimited Internet, and I know I have gone without bonus minutes before.

Strange. One of my options was unlimited. I wonder if ships that have that option don't have plans with the bonus minutes?

However, this was the first time I've been on a ship with the unlimited Internet, and I know I have gone without bonus minutes before.

I've had unlimited internet twice now and both times there were no bonus minutes.

I've also done the regular minute plans -bonus offers on the first day were limited - I only remember one in the last several cruises.

I don't believe that the entire cruise daily menus will be available on Embarkation Day to review. Generally the menu is posted only for each day, after breakfast/lunch. Do you mean to check which nights are Gala Nights and then change your PG reservations accordingly?

I had asked about this in the Dummies thread and never got a a definitive answer. Since the menus tend to be the same all season (especially for 7-day or weekly itineraries) they should have them available but whether they "make them available" to view is another question.

When I was on the Westerdan in December I just opened up my browser and options were available. Be leave me my husband wasn't feeling. Well and it wa my first cruise and Internet was a lifesaver. I got right in cruise critic and found all, the help I needed. I could rt even find the room service menue

First things we do is check where our dining table is and go to the Explorers Lounge to request any changes. Then unpack and get everything out of the way before muster drill.

Only then does our cruise truly begin as we sip our one traditional Tropa-Mango-Mojitos in the Crows Nest as we sail away one more time saluting each other for our good fortune to out on the high seas once again.

Yum! Tropa-mango-mojitos sound DIVINE and I don't even love Mangos!😋 Like the way you celebrate though!

Actually, there are only two "must do" on embarcation day :

- board the ship (make sure you arrive at the desk at least 2 hours before sailaway and have passport, visas if required on your itinerary and credit card with you).

- muster drill

The rest just depends on your iwn intérêts. You could even skip the first thing but it would be no fun ;)

First stop is always the Lobby/Atrium Bar for a welcome aboard drink to calm down and start the decompression of the transportation to the terminal, lines, boarding, waiting, etc.

Carry that drink to the room - grab all the papers sitting on the bed/desk, open the sliding door and sit on the balcony and read until the drink is gone.

Muster drill and sail-away (Drink of the day) then back to the room to unpack/ freshen up / dress for dinner, before dinner drink.... (pattern developing)

NOW I am ready for the Cruise...