BEFORE YOU go, DECIDE ON what is important to you

bob749boat

Hi Everyone:

I did my first cruise from FLL to Eastern Caribbean a few months ago on Princess. I was VERY VERY disappointed in the service, food, employee attitude and dinner service. However, I have learned a lot from my first cruise that I'd like to pass along and maybe it might make those who plan to go enjoy what a cruise has to offer.

I'm no expert. My basis was that the more you spend on a cruise, the best everything is. WRONG! It seems that those who pay $800PP got exactly the same as I did at $2500PP. I got the better room and front view and the cheap rooms got a room, bed, tv and more space to relax. SO, my point is this..when I had to add in all the EXTRA costs such a drink tickets, excursions, etc. etc., the BEST VALUE by far is better the most basic room you can handle and just pay for all the extras. You'll find that the cruise will be a better overall value and you won't feel, like I did, that because we stayed in a 1st class room and paid a 1st class price, we would get some 1st class perks. Sorry, NO PERKS for upgraded rooms as far as on board the ship. If you understand that principal, then go ahead and think about a cruise otherwise you will be just as disappointed as I was and will never go on cruise again.

yes, and no. Location Location Location.

a 3 BR house in Baltimore costs a whole lot less than a 3 BR house in Chevy Chase.

if you were not in a full suite, then you paid for the balcony, the (per cruise line thinking) better location(higher deck, Midships, maybe by a bank of elevators) and suchlike.

but an actual full suite DOES come with many amenities and perks that many feel is worth it.

but as for PUBLIC SPACES.. nobody knows or cares what your cabin number is. and sorry but just because you paid for a 'first class cabin' does NOT entitle to you being treated like some sort of VIP/Prince(ess) and being fawned over.

It would be interesting to know what ship, itinerary, cabin and cruise date (there can be a huge difference from one week to the next for the same cruise) you sailed.

If you choose not to cruise again, so be it. Hopefully some first time cruiser will read your experience and keep them from the same disappointment that you encountered.

Charlie

Yes , always best to do a lot of research first. I also think that a lot of first time cruisers get talked in to balconies and mini - suits by TA with a promise of services which are not realistic. When anyone asks my advice I always tell them that you are only paying for real estate. That the person who pays for the cheapest cabin, eats the same food, watch the same shows, drinks in the same bars. And think about what's important. I personally love balconies, but I have enjoyed OV and insides, ultimately I choose whichever cabin fits my budget.

If you do a cruise again maybe try an inside on a different cruise line, maybe it would suit you better.

What ever vacation you next choose will work out better for you.

Bob. Successful cruising is an education. My Mother said she wanted to go to Alaska many yrs. ago. So she goes to corner travel agency in our little CO. mtn. town. Agent talks her into one of most expensive cabins on ship. On Princess. I had to come along to help them. The officers dined with us many times. My first cruise. Finally asked our waiter why. He replies because you paid so much. I made up my mind to learn how the biz worked. Hate to over pay. When I cruise and pay for it myself, I do Inside cabins on mid to upper deck with only cabins above Do not do real short cruises or Holiday ones loaded with families or kids. Usually Celebrity or lately Oceania. What I found out on Mama cruise was Insides yield same experience as suite etc. that costs 3-4 times more. Average cruiser, I have read, stays within 6 blocks of port when on shore and wonders why he had marginal experience.

Edited by zoncom

Hi Everyone:

I did my first cruise from FLL to Eastern Caribbean a few months ago on Princess. I was VERY VERY disappointed in the service, food, employee attitude and dinner service. However, I have learned a lot from my first cruise that I'd like to pass along and maybe it might make those who plan to go enjoy what a cruise has to offer.

I'm no expert. My basis was that the more you spend on a cruise, the best everything is. WRONG! It seems that those who pay $800PP got exactly the same as I did at $2500PP. I got the better room and front view and the cheap rooms got a room, bed, tv and more space to relax. SO, my point is this..when I had to add in all the EXTRA costs such a drink tickets, excursions, etc. etc., the BEST VALUE by far is better the most basic room you can handle and just pay for all the extras. You'll find that the cruise will be a better overall value and you won't feel, like I did, that because we stayed in a 1st class room and paid a 1st class price, we would get some 1st class perks. Sorry, NO PERKS for upgraded rooms as far as on board the ship. If you understand that principal, then go ahead and think about a cruise otherwise you will be just as disappointed as I was and will never go on cruise again.

Apparently, you set your expectations way too high. That is fairly common for first time cruisers, and not just because of how much was spent. When you've never been on a cruise, it's easy to have misconceptions about various things. Before giving up on cruising, why not give it another try? Maybe on a different line. Readjust your expectations to a more realistic level, and go with an open mind. You'll enjoy the cruise a lot more if you go with the attitude that you're on vacation and want to have an enjoyable and relaxing cruise, and don't expect to be treated like the king of Siam.

The OP raises a great point, although we do not agree when it comes to Princess. But here is something to consider for those not familiar with cruise ships/industry. In most cases (there are a few exceptions) everyone on the ship has access to the same food, entertainment, most amenities, etc. The person paying $500 a night for a suite is generally getting the same stuff as the a person paying $70 a night for the cheapest inside cabin. Some cruise lines do provide extras for the big suites, but most expensive cabins come with few extras. As one who has spent more then 3 years on over 100 cruises, we seldom pay extra for a larger cabin/suite...although we do prefer cabins with balconies. Our reasoning is that we generally spend no more then 3 waking hours in our cabin! All that space only matters when we are awake and if you figure how much more per hour you are paying for space it puts things in perspective.

Personally, if we want to spend $400+ a passenger day for a cruise we tend to book a higher-end luxury line. If you are on Crystal in their cheapest cabin (which is still a suite) you are getting all the same benefits as the folks paying the much higher cost for the more expensive cabin. We prefer to have the cheapest cabin on the best line as opposed to the most expensive cabin on a mass market line. Its like comparing having a suite at a Holiday Inn to a regular room at the Ritz Carlton.

Hank

The OP raises a great point, although we do not agree when it comes to Princess. But here is something to consider for those not familiar with cruise ships/industry. In most cases (there are a few exceptions) everyone on the ship has access to the same food, entertainment, most amenities, etc. The person paying $500 a night for a suite is generally getting the same stuff as the a person paying $70 a night for the cheapest inside cabin. Some cruise lines do provide extras for the big suites, but most expensive cabins come with few extras. As one who has spent more then 3 years on over 100 cruises, we seldom pay extra for a larger cabin/suite...although we do prefer cabins with balconies. Our reasoning is that we generally spend no more then 3 waking hours in our cabin! All that space only matters when we are awake and if you figure how much more per hour you are paying for space it puts things in perspective.

Personally, if we want to spend $400+ a passenger day for a cruise we tend to book a higher-end luxury line. If you are on Crystal in their cheapest cabin (which is still a suite) you are getting all the same benefits as the folks paying the much higher cost for the more expensive cabin. We prefer to have the cheapest cabin on the best line as opposed to the most expensive cabin on a mass market line. Its like comparing having a suite at a Holiday Inn to a regular room at the Ritz Carlton.

Hank

More than 3 years on over 100 cruises?!! You must really love cruising!

Edited by beachbum53

More than 3 years on over 100 cruises?!! You must really love cruising!

LOL, it is only one way we travel. And we have been cruising for over forty years (average about 75 days a year for the past decade). But what is fascinating is our cruising experience pales by comparison to many we meet on cruises. It is not uncommon to meet folks with far more then 1000 days on a single cruise line (especially on long cruises). Last week, while cruising on the Eclipse, we met a man (Michael) who was on his 66th cruise with Celebrity. And apparently he had many more cruises with RCI. Like many we have met, we long ago lost count (and never kept records) of our cruise history. Now, the cruise lines do keep track...but there was a time that there were no active data bases. And over the years many lines have gone out of business (i.e. Sitmar, Regency, Orient, etc).

You also might want to consider that retirees will often take long cruises. So for us, just 2 cruises a year can be over 100 days.

Hank

You also might want to consider that retirees will often take long cruises. So for us, just 2 cruises a year can be over 100 days.

Hank

yup. several couples on the last ship we were on were on 2 or 3 week B2Bs. while on board one couple booked FIVE weeks B2B on Allure of the Seas to take advantage of the 4 points per night promo Royal is running.

Hi Everyone:

This is the best advice I have read on CC in quite awhile. As a newbie it reminded me to consider my expectations. Also made me reconsider whether it is worth it to me to spend more for a better room if it doesn't have additional perks.

Very good advice. Manage your expectations and you won't be disappointed (or maybe not much)

We'll be taking our first cruise in April (western Med on NCL). Our main vacation goal is Barcelona. The cruise is just an opportunity to see a little of Italy and France while we are there.

I expect a bed that I hope will be comfortable enough for 7 nights.

I expect meals that are of an acceptable quality and variety.

I expect to be taken to the next port so I can enjoy a shore excursion on my own.

I expect to have a choice of things to do in the evening that might entertain us. Or we can just chill out and get to bed early.

Beyond that, I 'll take what comes as an ongoing adventure.

We did book a balcony, and the SDP came with the booking. Other than gratuities, internet and a dinner show, I don't expect to pay much extra.

A realistic attitude, lots of research and a few months on these boards have us prepped for our vacation.

It is such a great value! We know that we get most of the same amenities as the higher priced cabins.

Sorry you were disappointed--our motto is ANY cruise is a good cruise! We certainly have liked some better than others, but they are more alike than different. Have never had overall poor food, service or experience. Guess we are lucky.

I'm sorry to hear that your first cruise was not all you expected it to be. Reading a book about cruising and cruise ships or even perusing a forum such as Cruise Critic should be pretty helpful to most. However, if you went into the cruising experience thinking you would be waited on hand and foot 24/7 (as Rose's wealthy family was in the movie "Titanic") and eating only the finest gourmet cuisine, I imagine you would be sorely disappointed. :p

Many people do think that getting the cheapest inside room available is the way to go. My family and I don't happen to agree. We always get a balcony room because we use our balcony a lot and I, in particular, appreciate reading quietly on my balcony and enjoying the scenery. It's worth it to me to have the solitude of my own private balcony. That said, I would never expect a higher level of service just because I opted to choose a more expensive room.

Edited by Laurin612

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opposite experience. My first cruise was a carnival. Everyone told me to lower my expectations- food won't be great, ship won't be nice, nothing to do. Clearly I was talking to the wrong people. I enjoyed the food- particularly guys burgers and the ship was fine. I had a great time. I'm doing ncl in May to Alaska. Looking forward to my second cruise!