Teeth

I had mine done on my first cruise a few years ago and didn't see any difference at all - I was quite disappointed and I wouldn't have it done again.

This is what heard before, too.

Done incorrectly, you can end up with very sore gums & very sensative teeth. Also, after it's done, it's advisable to stay away from things that may stain your teeth. My dentist told me not to drink things like red wine & coffee.

I've just never understood why anyone would trust a total stranger on a cruise ship (often a spa employee), whose credentials and certification they know nothing about, to do anything like botox, teeth whitening, or accupuncture. :rolleyes:

If you need/want to have these procedures done, find a licensed, reputable provider in your local vicinity. Then, if something goes wrong, you'll at least have some recourse.

I've just never understood why anyone would trust a total stranger on a cruise ship (often a spa employee), whose credentials and certification they know nothing about, to do anything like botox, teeth whitening, or accupuncture. :rolleyes:

If you need/want to have these procedures done, find a licensed, reputable provider in your local vicinity. Then, if something goes wrong, you'll at least have some recourse.

100% agree. But, the people who do this are the same ones who walk out of the spa with hundreds of dollars charged on their sea pass for various products.

Don't do it. My husband and my sister both had it done onboard the Liberty of the Seas about 3 years ago and both regretted it. They found it uncomfortable and only after it was done was it suggested that they each buy 14 little vials of liquid to rub daily on to their teeth to continue the effects - and they were expensive. There was virtually no difference - certainly no one noticed, and my sister's teeth actually looked WORSE! She had a lot of tartar in the gaps of her teeth and the process she underwent actually made it very noticeable.

In contrast, I'd had my teeth whitened by my dentist prior to the cruise and as soon as it was done I had loads of positive comments from people who had immediately noticed how clean and white they were. My dentist also wouldn't do it until after a full teeth and mouth check up and a visit to the hygienist for a thorough cleaning and descaling. And even after all that I only spent a little more than the total my husband and sister each paid.

The goal of the spa or even the cruiseline is to extract as much $$$ from the passengers as possible.

Whether it be services, products, treatments, classes, ect.

All of these things can be done better and for much less if you did it somewhere in your own town.

I don't know how people fall for this.

Most likely they get "caught in the moment" of vacation...

Use the Crest whitestrips. Works great. At least they did for me. Sometimes people get them too white and they look fake. I've had lots of compliments on my teeth too. I just use them once a year. Not that expensive and easy to use. They won't work on crowns or caps though. Only your natural teeth. I use the professional ones. There are several kinds.

Gwen :)

100% agree. But, the people who do this are the same ones who walk out of the spa with hundreds of dollars charged on their sea pass for various products.

I think you are right about that one! But, in that particular case, the only real damage is to the individual's wallet. ;)

Never. Actually won one at a raffle in the Promenade on the first day some years ago. Swapped it out with someone for a cruise in review video which I think was cheaper but also useless. At least I wasn't out anything else.

The "teeth whitening" stuff that's available today is the same exact, technologically-unenhanced stuff used back when this was first introduced onboard.... 7+ years ago.

*shiver*

If willing to avoid coffee and/or red wine altogether during a cruise, then one should, instead, buy a box of White-strips, i.e. Crest, wrap it up, put a dainty ribbon on it - and give to the honey on embarkation day.

Go buy some Crest Whitestrips....or see your dentist. This is NOT something you want to do on a ship or at a resort.....teeth whitening can cause EXTREME sensitivity....that's not what you want on vacation.

Crest Whitestrips work wonders on natural teeth. Nothing will change the color of caps, crowns or other manufactured tooth surfaces.

Archived