What A Way To End A Cruise!!

babs135

Wow! How scary. Since the baby was born 12 weeks early that means the mother was about 28 weeks pregnant when she boarded. Most cruise lines will not allow pregnant women to travel at 24 weeks or more, even with the Dr.'s approval. This article is a good example of why that rule. Luckily everything turned out fine.

"c. Pregnancy and Infants - Any Passenger who will enter the 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during their cruise or CruiseTour agrees not to book the cruise or board the Vessel or Transport under any circumstances." Celebrity cruise contract pdf: http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/Celebrity_CTC_Eff_08_01_10.pdf (This contract may not be for UK cruisers.)

I am very surprised Mom was permitted to board. Happy all seems well.

While it's POSSIBLE that she didn't know she was that far along, I'm going to guess that she wasn't entirely honest about that when boarding the ship.

Glad it worked out, however.

While it's POSSIBLE that she didn't know she was that far along, I'm going to guess that she wasn't entirely honest about that when boarding the ship.

I'm happy mother and baby are now doing fine, but I'm also inclined to believe she wasn't entirely honest. This is a cautionary tale of what can happen when a woman in an advanced state of pregnancy decides to "fool" the cruise line.

"The book-keeper, 32, assumed doctors on board the Celebrity Silhouette would be able to help deliver it"

That statement totally amazed me, why would she think that a medical unit onboard a cruise ship would have the ability to deliver a 12 week premature baby? While they might have been able to do the delivery, there would be no incubator or other items required to keep a baby that small a baby alive. Glad it worked out for them, but underlines the reason cruise ships don't want anyone onboard who are that far along.

"The book-keeper, 32, assumed doctors on board the Celebrity Silhouette would be able to help deliver it"

That statement totally amazed me, why would she think that a medical unit onboard a cruise ship would have the ability to deliver a 12 week premature baby? While they might have been able to do the delivery, there would be no incubator or other items required to keep a baby that small a baby alive. Glad it worked out for them, but underlines the reason cruise ships don't want anyone onboard who are that far along.

This amazes me...

Yes, although the Doctor and the Nurse on the ship know how to deliver babies, and I'm sure they have done it before, that doesn't mean the ship has the facilities to handle this. OMG what is that woman thinking? No vacation is worth risking the life of your child! The ship doesn't have neonatal medical facilities. That woman is very very lucky her baby is alive and well.

I had the same thought but so glad all seems to be well.

As a high risk OB nurse and a childbirth educater this just makes me so angry. I dont know why anyone with a viable pregnancy would be sailing in the middle of an ocean. I feel a woman really shouldn't cruise past 22weeks. 23 weekers have survived but not born outside a hospital with a NICU. I've taken care of a lot of women whose water broke or they went into preterm labor between 22-24 weeks. Many times we could keep them pregnant for several more weeks and then have a good outcome. Not so if born in the middle of the ocean. Ignoring the cruiseline rules then expecting there to be doctors that could take care of a preterm birth is just negligent.

RCI as example requires proof from any pregnant woman by way of a doctors note that she is less than 24 weeks in term or her cruise can be denied. In addition the doctors statement includes confirmation that she is healthy for travel.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As a high risk OB nurse and a childbirth educater this just makes me so angry. I dont know why anyone with a viable pregnancy would be sailing in the middle of an ocean. I feel a woman really shouldn't cruise past 22weeks. 23 weekers have survived but not born outside a hospital with a NICU. I've taken care of a lot of women whose water broke or they went into preterm labor between 22-24 weeks. Many times we could keep them pregnant for several more weeks and then have a good outcome. Not so if born in the middle of the ocean. Ignoring the cruiseline rules then expecting there to be doctors that could take care of a preterm birth is just negligent.

My friend works in a NICU in a vacation destination and frequently has parents there that were taking one last trip before baby was born. Now they are stuck far from home w/ a NICU baby and many times they can't afford to remain in a hotel and need to get back to work. Not a good situation. She always tells friends to ignore the airline rules and follow her more strict rules instead on when it's safe to travel.

Babymoons are a fairly new thing. I always tell people go somewhere you can drive to and only a few hours away and not too far from a hospital. To cruise or fly to an island where there isn't hospital with NICU is taking a chance they shouldn't take. I have taken care of a lot of women in town for business or a wedding who go into preterm labor or water breaks and they are stuck here.

i agree totally.... as an Aussie Midwife (OB nurse) we have the same issues here with travellers lack of awareness / education.

This is especially problematic in Perth where flights to Bali take only 3 hours and so many couples go there for honeymoons / Babymoons when pregnant and then expect the Govt to fund the rescue flight when they get "Bali Belly" (gastro) which occurs easily and often over there and that often stimulates early labour. :eek:

It really needs GP / Dr clinics / Antenatal clinics to be educating and offering relevant warnings.... it is almost like the younger generation feel that they are bullet proof because technology is so good, my baby will be safe....maybe in your own backyard !!:cool: