Upcharges on cruises....thoughts

just erica

Hello, I have just recently returned from the Seaside and I was not impressed that pretty much everything had an upcharge. It seems like most cruise lines are going in this direction with having everything a la carte. I guess I like knowing that I can enjoy almost everything on the cruise without having to pay an extra charge.

I just booked a Mediterrean cruise on a cruise line that includes everything at payment which I like. It means I wont have any extra charges on a bill at the end of the cruise.

What are your thoughts?

I do know what you mean. It feels like I’m spending more $$ if I’m having to “pull out the wallet” Everyday vs. paying up front. To me it’s a mental thing. It’s one of the reasons I love all inclusive resorts. In Reality, its all depends on the up front cost vs what you actually end up spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello, I have just recently returned from the Seaside and I was not impressed that pretty much everything had an upcharge. It seems like most cruise lines are going in this direction with having everything a la carte. I guess I like knowing that I can enjoy almost everything on the cruise without having to pay an extra charge.

I just booked a Mediterrean cruise on a cruise line that includes everything at payment which I like. It means I wont have any extra charges on a bill at the end of the cruise.

What are your thoughts?

What experience level were you on Seaside?

I think it depends on what experience you book. We were on Seaside in Aurea the week of 1/27 and left with the lowest bill I’ve ever had coming off a cruise. Drink Packaged covered anything we wanted like drinks and gelato. Shows were included, water slides included and we had spa access. We ate in the MDR and no specialty restaurants. I can see that being expensive since theirs are a la carte unless you buy trio. What items did you pay up charges for?

I didn’t pay any up charges. I just choose not to have or do the things that weren’t covered by my cruise fare.

It was annoying for me and others in my group that so many things were not covered. Just my opinion though...

Went to play pool one night and you had to pay, wanted a coffee in the Venchi and had to pay, wanted an ice cream and had to pay, etc etc, uncharges for food in the MDR, the zip line etc etc

I personally found it annoying. Just wanted to hear others perspectives on it.

It depends on the base cruise price. Personally I would rather pay MSC prices and enhance my cruise by paying for the extra facilities that I would enjoy, rather than pay the much more expensive prices for the likes of Royal Caribbean, where access to (almost everything) is included in the price, regardless of whether I use them or not. Nothing is "free" on ships - some lines build the cost into the cruise price, which leaves one with no control over discretionary spending.

Erica ... I do get where you are coming from but a little bit of pre cruise work would have given you the information before you cruised on extra charges, everyone has a choice as Bea says when it is not all included ie you either pay to use it or choose not to.

Travel agents have a duty to tell you about any extra charges as do MSC is you book direct with them, it is always worth spending an hour or two to check things out on your own.

One reason the cost of the other lines is far higher is because almost everything is included for everyone whether you use it or not and no reduction in cost if you do not drink such as on NCL with their included drink package.

MaMa ... The water slides are free for all onboard to use and has nothing to do with which experience you choose.

It depends on the base cruise price. Personally I would rather pay MSC prices and enhance my cruise by paying for the extra facilities that I would enjoy, rather than pay the much more expensive prices for the likes of Royal Caribbean, where access to (almost everything) is included in the price, regardless of whether I use them or not. Nothing is "free" on ships - some lines build the cost into the cruise price, which leaves one with no control over discretionary spending.

Yes, I see your point. I am only 5 cruises in so I am still learning what works for me and what doesn't. My first cruise was with RC and perhaps I am influenced by that experience. Cruising has changed quite a bit since then.

Just out of curiosity, which cruise line did you book for the Med - if you is not something like Oceania or Silver Seas, Regent - then most of the main stream cruises will have up charges for something - not unless say you have a 2 perk deal with NCL where you can also use the a la carte restaurants for a couple of nights - all cruise lines will charge you otherwise these dining venues and most cruise lines now have up charges in the main dining room say if you want surf/turf....

also - if you have something almost all inclusive in the Med, i am sure it is considerably more $$ than what you spent on your cabin aboard the Seaside - on the Seaside, if you want everything pretty much to be included, then the Yacht Club is the way to go.....(but even with the Yacht Club u will still pay for Zip/pool/Bowling - but the other thinks like Venchi and Speciality coffees are all included....)

Just out of curiosity, which cruise line did you book for the Med - if you is not something like Oceania or Silver Seas, Regent - then most of the main stream cruises will have up charges for something - not unless say you have a 2 perk deal with NCL where you can also use the a la carte restaurants for a couple of nights - all cruise lines will charge you otherwise these dining venues and most cruise lines now have up charges in the main dining room say if you want surf/turf....

also - if you have something almost all inclusive in the Med, i am sure it is considerably more $$ than what you spent on your cabin aboard the Seaside - on the Seaside, if you want everything pretty much to be included, then the Yacht Club is the way to go.....(but even with the Yacht Club u will still pay for Zip/pool/Bowling - but the other thinks like Venchi and Speciality coffees are all included....)

I am booked with Pullmantur cruise line. It was considerably less expensive than what I paid for Seaside.

It was why we enjoyed cruiseing. We knew nothing was "free" but it was inclusive of what we paid. Now we have to pay seperate for each thing. So when you see a great cruise "deal" its no deal once you pay for everything you'll want to do. I think we may start looking at more land vacations. We have done some very nice all inclusive resort vacations in the past but I have become addicted to cruiseing😱

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

I am booked with Pullmantur cruise line. It was considerably less expensive than what I paid for Seaside.

I went and looked at the Pullmantur website. The price for a caribbean cruise (7 nights) out of Santo Domingo for a solo cruiser (myself) was very reasonably priced ($750 includes all drinks (bottled unk.), taxes, fees, service charges, not insurance). BUT the ship (Zenith) is small (1,450 pax) and no frills. It has TONS of bars (6 or 7) .... only 1 pool and not much else for thrills. I get the impression it is a very low key style cruise line.

The deck plans page did not work, so I couldn't see deck by deck what was on the ship. My air fare would be about $650 (no insurance), so altogether a reasonable price for a 7 night cruise.

This, overall, would not suit me. I personally am looking to cruise on a mega ship ... at least once in my life!

I'm sorry but you can't compare Pullman to Seaside.... - there ships are build in 1980ish

to compare reasonable you may use Tui Cruises (MeinSchiff) here it's realy all incl (Tax, tip as well).

But you easily end up at 200US/day/pax for normal balcony

I'm sorry but you can't compare Pullman to Seaside.... - there ships are build in 1980ish

to compare reasonable you may use Tui Cruises (MeinSchiff) here it's realy all incl (Tax, tip as well).

But you easily end up at 200US/day/pax for normal balcony

I wan't comparing them. I just answered a question someone asked me. Yes, of course you cannot compare Pullmantur offers to those of the mega ships.

This surprises me. I just priced out similar cabin on a similar itinerary for my Seaview med cruise in August and I lose anytime dining through Aurea and the price translates to $6,952.15 US vs my $4,140.00 US that I am paying. Did you check out Seaview?

I´m not a fan of upcharges either. But it´s also good that ¨you get to choose¨ if you want to pay extra or not for the added thrills (zipline, bowling, F1, etc). I´m sure if these would be included the cost would be higher, and imagine the lines.

This surprises me. I just priced out similar cabin on a similar itinerary for my Seaview med cruise in August and I lose anytime dining through Aurea and the price translates to $6,952.15 US vs my $4,140.00 US that I am paying. Did you check out Seaview?

Yeah I just went to look at the Seaview and while I agree that the prices are amazing it's still $100 more for the same cabin and I don't get beverages included. You really can't compare the two cruise lines though. Pullmantur is a niche market line with very few bells and whistles and small ships. I'm excited to try it though as I am starting to think I am a small ship girl!

Erica ... I do get where you are coming from but a little bit of pre cruise work would have given you the information before you cruised on extra charges, everyone has a choice as Bea says when it is not all included ie you either pay to use it or choose not to.

Travel agents have a duty to tell you about any extra charges as do MSC is you book direct with them, it is always worth spending an hour or two to check things out on your own.

One reason the cost of the other lines is far higher is because almost everything is included for everyone whether you use it or not and no reduction in cost if you do not drink such as on NCL with their included drink package.

MaMa ... The water slides are free for all onboard to use and has nothing to do with which experience you choose.

Yes I know...was just using it as an example of something that was free. Mostly I was saying what the others said. Pay more for a higher experience and pay less on the ship or pay less and then pay only for what you want in the ship. For us, Aurea covered everything we wanted so we paid for Aurea and had a very small invoice at the end.

This is a very interesting topic.

On my first cruise (1987) even soda pop was included! Things have changed in terms of what is and isn’t included. But what it really interesting is that cruise base pricing hasn’t changed dramatically in the last 30 years.

I have a travel trunk where I keep most of travel memorabilia, including tickets/excursions/ boarding passes, etc... In 1987 we paid $699 per person for 7’days in an inside cabin. Currently, MSc is charging $499 for a balcony room. And strangely, port taxes have been relatively stable also.

Unfortunately- airfare is another story entirely.

Considering that, it doesn’t surprise me that all cruise lines offer ala carte experiences. However how much they charge varies greatly. I must admit I was utterly shocked when I saw the price MSc is charging for things like billiards (I can’t remember off the top of my head but it was obscenely high).

I have been pricing out some of the luxury lines that are truly all inclusive for a world cruise and considering what is included they may actually be the better value when it’s all said and done.

But sadly, I’m afraid up-charges are the way of main stream mArket . The trick is to figure out which lines charge for what so you can make an informed decision. It’s getting more and more challenging to keep them all straight.

Ps- are you sailing on pullmantur Zenith by chance? She has a special place in my heart as we were married on her inaugural voyage in May of 92. If it is zenith, I may have a special request photo or two :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk