Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Daveywavey,

- You say it charge back is "all or nothing", yet you received some value from the cruise for which you are willing to pay.

- You say it charge back puts the 'onus' on your agent, not SS.

Yet:

- You feel if you go to court, you may well be awarded more than the cost of the cruise.

- You say your agent knew before the fact the ship was coning out of drydock (yet failed to tell you), and has been less than useless after the fact.

If the charge back route is simpler and avoids all the hassles & stress of going to court, why not take it?

Daveywavey,

- You say it charge back is "all or nothing", yet you received some value from the cruise for which you are willing to pay.

- You say it charge back puts the 'onus' on your agent, not SS.

Yet:

- You feel if you go to court, you may well be awarded more than the cost of the cruise.

- You say your agent knew before the fact the ship was coning out of drydock (yet failed to tell you), and has been less than useless after the fact.

If the charge back route is simpler and avoids all the hassles & stress of going to court, why not take it?

Because Bill,the payment would be refunded in full if Mastercard decided that I have not been provided what I was both promised and paid far.

I am fully aware of the level of compensation available to me under UK law should I wish to take that route. The reality is that I would rather not have to go through that process. I would rather reach an amicable solution with Silversea. The main difference is that instead of reaching an ammicable solution with Silverse despite their immovable position, I am fully prepared to follow this matter through the courts and publish every detail of the process publically. Money is not my motivation but behaving honourably is. If I would have known how this company operates before I gave them my hard earned money. I would have thought twice. I Fully intend to make very public every detail of the court case that is about to brought upon them. This company has taken my hard earned money under false pretences and promises and while I feel so aggrieved I will not go away quietly.

I Believe that’ any person about to hand money over to this company needs to know how they will be treated by them.

Davewavey , will you refuse the coming settlement offer if it contains a confidentiality clause ?

They will settle.. presently it's just a little game to test your mettle…..

I am fully aware of the level of compensation available to me under UK law should I wish to take that route. The reality is that I would rather not have to go through that process. I would rather reach an amicable solution with Silversea. The main difference is that instead of reaching an ammicable solution with Silverse despite their immovable position, I am fully prepared to follow this matter through the courts and publish every detail of the process publically. Money is not my motivation but behaving honourably is. If I would have known how this company operates before I gave them my hard earned money. I would have thought twice. I Fully intend to make very public every detail of the court case that is about to brought upon them. This company has taken my hard earned money under false pretences and promises and while I feel so aggrieved I will not go away quietly.

I Believe that’ any person about to hand money over to this company needs to know how they will be treated by them.

Hi Dave,

It is ironic that when we first conversed on these boards was before our BoozeCrooze and we are now both in exactly the same "boat". It is bewildering that Silvesea behaves in this way.

The argument behind your thinking seems to me to be in simple terms, if a company doesn't behave ethically because their leaders think it is "simply the right thing to do" then the only recourse for an individual to,influence corporate change is if the oxygen of adverse publicity creating commercial pressure and business loss to behave ethically and compliantly.

There is therefore an alternative view about the chargeback route. If the chargeback is successful, a TA would reasonably expect Silversea to credit the cruise because the chargeback is an acknowledgement by the jointly legally responsible credit card company that they have charged you for a service or product that wasn't delivered which is an explicit acknowledgement that UK consumer laws were not respected. If Silversea fail to take responsibility for their own behaviour at that stage that becomes hugely important for UK TAs. It causes them to question whether Silversea in the UK is a "safe" and reliable company for them to do business with because the financial loss when Silversea fails to deliver falls onto the TAs shoulders causing them only legsl recourse to recover their loss if Silversea is unwilling.

It is unlikely that an event like that would not be reported in travel industry press and the outcome of that might have a greater impact than the court route. If then there were more and more successful chargebacks in situations where Silversea are in breach of and refuse to respect and comply with the relevant UK consumer regulations and laws and industry codes of conduct under which the credit card companies agree chargebacks then Silvesea are systematically compromising their own standing with their preferred route to market ie the TA rather the direct route. Might this not be more effective for the outcome you seek ie that Silversea are forced to adhere to UK consumer law?

What is your view?

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Dave is not going to receive any further offers.

methinks exactly that. Silversea has really dug in on this one and it's not going to get settled by nice correspondence, mediation or just being reasonable. One way or another it's going to court if it's to move forward.

Good Morning Coolers ....

M ... those boards are funny!

Rols .. thanks ...

An insiders view of The Balcony!

204f1fdf8f14b1acdf10b7f5839a0252.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do love those funnies from mysty.

Jeff, that's a disappointing view of the balcony. Why are the glasses upside down and empty? I'd be having a word with the management, if I were you! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Well done! I knew that management would come through eventually!

I'm in the process of writing a blog about our Australia trip. I don't have a website set up yet (my little brother the IT guy is slacking) but that should happen and I'll share the location with you when it's done. I am a little disappointed that TravelPod closed down and all of my other blogs are no longer visible. Luckily, they allowed users to save the blogs, so they are intact, just sitting on my computer drive where they can't be seen.

So I'm content to just put some text in a document for now, before I forget too much. Anyway, I'm up to my birthday now, so that part is almost done. Eventually it will get posted! What a fun trip that was.

But the best part of jogging my memory about the trip is to look at pictures!

So here is a picture from our friend's cottage, where we spent a few wonderful days. This was my birthday dinner... My kind of balcony!

i-rdLd9WM-L.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny

JP...gorgeous balcony shot! Looking forward to your blog!

Enjoy the choo choo and the cigar J! I almost made a huge gaffe! I was going to call it a stogie until I checked the definition and realized that your cigar is nowhere near being a stogie! :)