Mykonos things to do, etc.

chardonnay12345

I agree with Rollie. Find a restaurant for lunch and people watch. There's a place I really like there I've been to a few times called Kadena Restaurant that is at the far end of the town nearer to the tender station. Good food and friendly service.

It looks like Constellation is the only (large) ship there the day you are and it's marked as tendering. In Mykonos it's one of the places I actually prefer this because the tender drops you off much more centrally than the dock at the far end of town.

Go to see the Little Venice area and have a look around the shops in the back streets. It's very pretty, but not a cheap place. It is always windy in Mykonos. They built the windmills for a reason!

Phil

I am traveling with a group of 8 and would like some do's and don'ts for a day on Mykonos island during our Celebrity Constellation cruise leaving Venice Aug. 20, 2918.

Hello chardonnay12345 - We just love Mykonos and have been there several times in the past few years. When you ship comes in - if they do not provide transportation to town, there is a little ferry to town (as you exit the ship) for a Euro or two which will save you a lot of money. The town is lovely to walk around and do a little trinket shopping; don't miss the resident pelican (he is new as the old one died :() If you like beaches they have wonderful beaches, but I must tell you that this is a very uninhibited island and some of the beaches have topless and nude sections. Check on the CC Greek islands section for more detail. The people are very nice and the food is excellent. Have a great time. :)

Catch a local bus to paradise beach.:)

portcbob - Thanks for following me up... The now have ll the buses in a nice bus area rather than at that grocery store. Make sure you check the times - going and coming back --the last few buses are always crowded so give yourself enough time. Paradise Beach is very nice; Super Paradise and Elia beach is a bit more risque..shall we say...;p

If you've never been to Mykonos, spend the morning wandering around all the shops and exploring the main downtown area. After that, take in lunch. There's a "locals" restaurant on top of the hill, about a 5-6 Euro taxi ride for 4 to get there. With 8 of you, take 2 taxis. Just walk to the taxi stand around to the left and wait for one.

The restaurant is called Oregano, pronounced by the Greeks as "Or-E-Gone-O." They have great food for a cheap price as you sit out on their patio overlooking the port with a pitcher of their house wine. Besides their regular menu, they have daily specials. You can walk in the kitchen area and see what they've got cooking. Usually 5-6 specialty items to choose from.

From there, you can catch a 5-6 Euro taxi back to the pier if the ship is docked, or ask someone as there is a walking path for an easy downhill walk back to the port.

We rented a quad for the day (at Rick Steves suggestion.). Figured on an island if you keep the ocean on the right you are bound to get back. Very inexpensive. Returned it in plenty of time to have a drink on the water and say hello to resident Pelican. Beautiful island.

• 3 weeks later...

We visited Mykonos on the Reflection several years ago and got a day pass to the Saint John Hotel/Resort. They don't advertise the day pass on their website ( http://www.saintjohn.gr ) but we learned about it from a cruisecritic post. If you email the hotel they will send you information. It was wonderful and reasonably priced, as I recall. We were able to utilize all of the resort amenities for the day and had breakfast and lunch included. They have a small beach and beautiful large pool. We then taxied back to town and walked around prior to boarding the ship. It was a wonderful day!

Rent a sailboat yacht for the day. For snorkeling and great Greek food on board. A group of six got together it was about 85$ pp.

The next year I did the city itself, my money was on my sailboat experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like ruins, check out Delos a small archeological island off Mykonos. Amazing experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second this -- if you're not a beach person, spend the morning visiting Delos (ferries run from Mykonos) and then enjoy Mykonos in the afternoon.

Mykonos is a wonderful place to just walk around. Delos is very interesting but when we were there all trips were cancelled due to high winds and surf. Look for Petros the pelican as you walk to the windmills and then just wander the shops until you find a restaurant that appeals to you and sit and enjoy the atmosphere! One word of caution: watch were you walk.....there are lots of dogs and homeless cats on Mykonos (and all the other islands) so animal waste abounds!

Are you stopping at Santorini as well?

We visited Mykonos on the Reflection several years ago and got a day pass to the Saint John Hotel/Resort. They don't advertise the day pass on their website ( http://www.saintjohn.gr ) but we learned about it from a cruisecritic post. If you email the hotel they will send you information. It was wonderful and reasonably priced, as I recall. We were able to utilize all of the resort amenities for the day and had breakfast and lunch included. They have a small beach and beautiful large pool. We then taxied back to town and walked around prior to boarding the ship. It was a wonderful day!

We did the same. It was a great day. Then again, we have been to Mykonos several times.

some shots of Mykonos:

mykonos1.jpg

mykonos6.jpg

windy & gorgeous Island. We wanted to go to Delos, but it was too windy for the ferry to run. Ended up spending a very relaxing afternoon just wandering the streets, & eating in a cafe. Amazing fresh Calamari, which we shared with a huge cat. ;)

Cruise kitty, I think we had our greek salad at that same cafe. I remember the octopus hang out to dry.

Rollie

Yup, it was a beautiful, relaxing day. Our A plan (delos) fell through, followed by our B plan (paradise beach) followed by our C plan ( ATV explore the island) it was so windy, nothing was running. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Plan like an obsessive freak, & then just go with it once it's happening. :D Makes for great trips.

Our Plan A has also fallen through. We are on Mykonos on Labor Day (May 1). Delos TOurs ferry is closed and Delos UNESCO site is closed.

Yup, that's the problem with Delos.....you really must have an alternate plan! Keep in mind the wind is why they have those windmills and when it's blowing Delos is impossible to do....but just sitting at the cafe pictured is wonderful....although the kitty situation can be very disturbing.