Disembarkation in San Diego

statsman

Can anyone advise how the timing went to get off your ship? We are scheduled to arrive back in San Diego at 7:00 am and we would like to book a flight that leaves at 11:40 am. to Toronto. Is that doable or are we taking a big risk?

Thanks for your help

Can anyone advise how the timing went to get off your ship? We are scheduled to arrive back in San Diego at 7:00 am and we would like to book a flight that leaves at 11:40 am. to Toronto. Is that doable or are we taking a big risk?

Thanks for your help

Hello,

Yes it is doable, how ever I dont recommended. If doing that I would recommend taking the ships transfer. Worth the cost on short turn around. You don’t mention which cruise line. Then you get priority debarkation. Or take taxi. Only 10 min ride to airport. The risk is is ship gets in ate do or fog, clearance by customs depending where ship came from or if security gets backed up at airport

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just came back from a R/T to HI on the Westerdam on 3/9...we were off at 9:15 am...as mentioned the airport is very close...and the process was very smooth but if any goes wrong it might be tough! Is that your only flight choice? Can you take early disembark on your own? LuAnn

We are sailing on the Eurodam that does a round trip to Hawaii and Tahiti, in and out of San Diego.

The 11:40 flight is not our only option, but it is the only non stop flight that day. I am not familiar with early disembark, but we are certainly able to carry our own bags.

Hello,

Yes it is doable, how ever I dont recommended. If doing that I would recommend taking the ships transfer. Worth the cost on short turn around. You don’t mention which cruise line. Then you get priority debarkation. Or take taxi. Only 10 min ride to airport. The risk is is ship gets in ate do or fog, clearance by customs depending where ship came from or if security gets backed up at airport

Pretty sure the OP is asking on the Holland America board...

OP, San Diego has a long history of slow disembarkations, due to Immigration and Customs. The latest reports (commonly discussed on the West Coast Departures board) is that the system is much improved.

I would take the 11:40 flight.

I would too. CC had me so freaked out about possible delays that I booked a flight for 3pm. We got to the airport at 9 and managed to get an earlier flight home for another 50.00 each. Disembarkation was quick, went smoothly and the folks who carried their bags off were out even earlier

There have been no delays in the past 18 months disembarking in San Diego. Now that the escalator is if use, we are usually finished by 10 am.

First off (Express Debark) begins at 7:45 am most days.

You will be fine with your AC flight to Toronto.

David

We have had bad experiences in San Diego.

And it didn't make any difference if we were disembarking there or just staying on while others got off. Too often the ship didn't clear until around 10:30 because a few foreign people did not report to customs and no one was allowed to get off until they reported to the officials.

So make some back up plans just in case.

Pretty sure the OP is asking on the Holland America board...

OP, San Diego has a long history of slow disembarkations, due to Immigration and Customs. The latest reports (commonly discussed on the West Coast Departures board) is that the system is much improved.

I would take the 11:40 flight.[/quote

Very glad to hear that!! OP, the port is very close to the airport so that helps. Unfortunately, improvement did not happen soon enough for me. We had an 11:00 flight, only direct one to where we live. Since arrival was at 7 and the airport close, I figured no problem. Immigration came onboard and NO ONE could leave until EVERYONE reported. Some people didn't bother and had to be hunted down. I imagine these were back to back people with no incentive to hurry or people who didn't understand the announcements or people in no hurry to accomodate others....have no idea but did hear the names called many times.

We were self carry off and waiting as close as possible thinking we'd soon get off. Wrong! We got off at about 10, ran down the steps to the cab line, got to the airport and ran to the gate right as it closed. That would be a happy ending except we didn't have time to wait for an elevator and ran down the steps carrying luggage. In the process I tore my knee and later had to have surgery. I had trip insurance but it wouldn't pay since I coudln't prove it happened getting off the ship!!

If you can get a later flight, take it or spend an extra day in beautiful San Diego. I wish I had.

Yes, I can remember many of those days, but we do not have such issues at the present time.

My understanding .... now CBP allows the ship to start disembarking without 100% showing up to clear customs. Non-US who don't show up, have their ship cards "flagged", so they can't get off the gangway.

It was a long time coming but finally much better.

That is why we can start promptly at 7:45 am for self debark.

David

• Like 1

On my recent Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam, debarkation for the expedited people began at 8AM. My time with a HAL transfer was at 9:30 but I was off at 9:10AM. The airport is very close and I would take a taxi and ask for an early time off. I don't know if coming from Tahiti will make a difference.

I would check with your airline (since you are flying back to Canada) to see what time you must check in.

If for any reason it is 2 hours don't do it.

In the end a lot of this comes down to your stress level. If you will spend half the cruise worrying about making your flight I would not do it.

Yes, San Diego does have hiccups from time to time with respect to immigration/customs.

Keith

Just stay the night in SD. Enjoy some Tacos, beer and relax. Fly out the next day, no stress.

Yes!

Delay is enough of a possibility to be a concern - we've experienced it twice. Better to take it easy, spend the night in lovely San Diego and fly at your leisure the next day.

A frequently unmentioned factor is the fact that flights the day AFTER a ship dumps a couple thousand passengers in the port are sometimes priced enough lower to cover the cost of the hotel stay: check it out.

I think it depends on the type of cruise you are on. In the past 6 months we did a Vancouver to SD and then a round trip to Hawaii (from SD of course). In both cases customs was absolutely no problem (they basically did not even check us). On the Vancouver trip we were off the ship by 7:30 am (7 am docking) but on the Hawaii one we did not get off until about 8:45 AM due to one on-going passenger not reporting in.

Once off, we got our luggage, took a taxi and were at the airport in about 20 minutes total.

Very doable. San Diego was very fast and efficient. Also the airport is a breeze to get through. I think there were only about 5 people ahead of me in the security line.

We found the same to be true a year ago. We had an 11:00 a.m. flight and had no problems getting off the Ship with plenty of time to spare at the Airport. We were TSA Precheck and didn't need it because there were no lines going through Security.

Thanks for your help

I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. We are going to go ahead and book the 11:40 flight. If we don't make it I will let you know. And don't worry, we are flying in 2 days before our cruise as San Diego is such a neat city to walk around.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we made our flight with plenty of time to spare.  We are able to carry our own bags and were able to disembark shortly after clearing US immigration.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...