Home From Koningsdam

Snowbaby369

The Koningsdam is a bright new ship, much larger than HALs others, maybe bigger than we care for. We did not see it all.

Any staff we encountered were very friendly and hard working, especially our cabin and dining people.

Even the captain, a Canadian, is a very chatty guy with his daily monologues.

The food is ample , good quality, and good presentation.

However, we were only able to sample a limited amount of it. We also found the early main seating time assigned to us was too early at 5:15. The experience also is somewhat chaotic with any time diners arriving at all times with their tables mixed in amongst others.

Unfortunately, 3 days in, my husband was deemed to have influenza B, and confined to cabin for a day. I too came down with it a day or so later. The medical staff is also very efficient, but at a cost, for us $440, which we hope to recoup from insurance. This illness grossly affected our appetites, we only did about 1/2 the dinners, and never had one breakfast or lunch in the dining room, something we usually really enjoy. We also missed the mariners lunch.

Our long anticipated holiday was basically a flop from here forward.

We booked a guaranteed balcony, and ended up with spa 10054, which at first we were thrilled with. Until they started running the big tv late into the evening.

It was so loud that it shook the walls and bed.

Midway thru then, we convinced them to move us. Went to 5114, which they call a suite, but I don't know why. Not a whole lot of extra room , but at least there was a small table room service could set the tray on. Very quiet though. And very handy to things in midship.

We feel that the general antiseptic measures were lacking on this ship. We certainly weren't the only ones down. Two others at our table came down with it. The number and placement of hand sanitizers was poor. Because of lineups at dinner time the hand sanitizer was impossible to approach. Unlike other cruises, I never saw anyone wiping down railings. The spray wash for hands at lido was out of soap frequently.

We have cruised for 20+ years, a few downs days with colds etc in that time, but never like this. Home for a couple weeks now, and still sick, including 2 more doctor visits and drugs.

You can understand when I say it could be a long time before we venture out again.

Sorry to hear you became ill. We just got back from 21 days on the Koningsdam and (touch wood) both are ok.

We enjoyed the ship mostly but it wouldn't be my #1 choice in the future.

We had any time dining but only went to the MDR about 4 times which is unusual for us-just didn't think the offerings were that desirable.

Hope you feel better soon. It's can sure ruin a cruise when you get sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the other HAL ships anytime dining is separated alrhough they do very occasionally cross over. I gather this is not the case on the K. Is this correct?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

This was not the case on our cruise. There were quite a few tables around us....that our waiter attended. The first few nights there was a large wedding party that arrived at 6:00. When they weren't there the tables were filled with others at different times. Our main dining was 5:15. It got quite chaotic, and dinner was prolonged for us. We also found the lines ups difficult to manoeuvre through when we arrived for 5:15. Thus the hand sanitizer was often not assessable.

So sorry the two of you became ill during your cruise, but hope your recovery is speedy. We were in cabin 10054 for 13 nights in April before they could move us. Worst 13 nights on a cruise ship we’ve ever experienced. HAL needs to make some significant modifications or else not sell this cabin.

So sorry the two of you became ill during your cruise, but hope your recovery is speedy. We were in cabin 10054 for 13 nights in April before they could move us. Worst 13 nights on a cruise ship we’ve ever experienced. HAL needs to make some significant modifications or else not sell this cabin.

Could you give more details about the problems with your cabin?

In my 30+ years of cruising, the most sick I’ve ever been was on our only Holland America cruise aboard the Westerdam. I was so sick that I felt I was going to have to cut the cruise short and head for a land based emergency room. Thankfully I started feeling better after a day or two and I was able to continue the cruise.

But after that, I started noticing the poor hygiene practices exhibited, not only by fellow cruisers, but by crew members, specially those handling food at the buffet.

The good news is that it didn’t stop me from wanting to cruise. Yes, initially I had that “never again” feeling, but after a few months I was up and at it again, planning my next cruise. I do hope that once you have a chance to fully recover and your illness is a fading memory, that you’ll feel the same way about cruising again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could you give more details about the problems with your cabin?

Initially we were excited to be assigned this cabin. We thought the location was great. However .......the outdoor TV is right outside it. 10054 is the last cabin before stepping out onto deck 10. A movie is played at least once every night at 9:00, and some nights twice starting at 7:00. The noise inside the cabin is horrible....to the point of shaking the bed. We've had an F18 buzz our house, and the house did not shake like this room did!

We agree that this cabin should NOT be assigned. HAL is very aware of this problem and we told them so.

What I don't understand is that the rooms on down don't seem to be affected, and given the severity in 10054 you have to wonder why not.

Thanks everyone for your concern. We're both still struggling. What a dose we caught. We keep hoping tomorrow will be better !

Very sorry to hear you wer e ill with t the flu and it ruined your cruise, of course.

Did you both have the flu shot this fall or was it just ineffective? Flu is so contagious

Initially we were excited to be assigned this cabin. We thought the location was great. However .......the outdoor TV is right outside it. 10054 is the last cabin before stepping out onto deck 10. A movie is played at least once every night at 9:00, and some nights twice starting at 7:00. The noise inside the cabin is horrible....to the point of shaking the bed. We've had an F18 buzz our house, and the house did not shake like this room did!

We agree that this cabin should NOT be assigned. HAL is very aware of this problem and we told them so.

What I don't understand is that the rooms on down don't seem to be affected, and given the severity in 10054 you have to wonder why not.

Hopefully, the following link will get you to the post I wrote right after getting off the ship.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494003&highlight=10054

Very helpful, thank you both.