Trying to understand the "guarantee" reservation

calteacher

Cruising in a month and have booked a guaranteed Neptune Suite. First cruise we booked a balcony, took upsell to Neptune. Next cruise, we booked specific balcony, didn't take an upsell. Third cruise we booked a specific balcony, and didn't get an upsell email, so two days before I called as I knew there were suites available. I was told that I had received the email upsell that day. Nope, never came to this day. Not sure why it didn't arrive as I get emails constantly from HA. Anyway, ended up with a Signature suite and we were very happy. I'm assuming that this time our guarantee of a Neptune Suite shouldn't be a problem. It was a very low price we got and jumped at the last minute cruise opportunity. Aren't they all considered basically mid-ship?

A Neptune guarantee should not pose a problem, if you are OK with getting a handicap room or one that is an aft-wrap (I like these by the way). Otherwise they are pretty much the same. On the R and S class ships (basically the smaller ones) you could end up under the pool area, but IMO this is a minor issue.

The situation of course depends on the ship, so review your deck plan carefully. On the smaller ships, the Neptunes are pretty much clustered together and until the last few years were all sold together under the "S" category. The larger ships have many more Neptunes and they are more scattered, on different decks and in a variety of locations (midship, aft and I think a few fore).

It's the N Amsterdam we're on, which we've been on twice before. Hoping it is mid ship guarantee as my husband gets a little sea sick and we find mid ship is more stable. However, for what we paid, we're thrilled to be in a Neptune Suite again. Loved it the first time.

It's the N Amsterdam we're on, which we've been on twice before. Hoping it is mid ship guarantee as my husband gets a little sea sick and we find mid ship is more stable. However, for what we paid, we're thrilled to be in a Neptune Suite again. Loved it the first time.

The N.A. has 2 Neptune cabins on deck 10 far forward (right below the Crows Nest). Also 10 aft-wraps (decks 4-8). Rest of Neptunes are on decks 6 & 7, primarily mid-ship.

We booked an SB on Rotterdam for next spring at about $2699. Then there was a price drop so we refarred at $2199. A couple of months ago, I noticed that Guaranteed Neptune suites were advertised at $1699. There are only four SB on Rotterdam, all next to the aft staircase. I called our PCC and asked what would happen if I asked for the Guaranteed at $1699. She said that she would refare at that price and I would get the same room. Saved $1000 PP over the original fare. I'm next door to an SA that is $200 PP more. Four $400, we can walk 20 feet further to the Neptune Lounge.

We just booked our first guarantee room ever and first time cruising HAL. We leave November 4th on the Zuirderdam and these next few weeks will torture until we get our room assignment.:o. We booked a VF guarantee so I'm curious where we will end up. We have also never booked this close to sailing so I guess it's a season of firsts for us.

Sherri

We just booked our first guarantee room ever and first time cruising HAL. We leave November 4th on the Zuirderdam and these next few weeks will torture until we get our room assignment.:o. We booked a VF guarantee so I'm curious where we will end up. We have also never booked this close to sailing so I guess it's a season of firsts for us.

Sherri

This is quite a situation for you! You should get your assignment around 10 days out. Could be anytime though. As an intro to HAL GUAR bookers, I have to tell you that until you are checking at least six times a day to see if you've been assigned, you don't rate. :D

You might want to watch for upsells if you are interested in paying to book a higher category, like an SS or better.

Please come back and let us know how you did with your very first assignment!

You booked a guarantee in category VF, so you are a guaranteed a VF cat. or better, that you will see when cabin assignments are made. I understand the frustration of waiting to know your stateroom number, just be patient and you will be rewarded. Enjoy the cruise.

One added reminder, hold off in printing your boarding passes and luggage tags until after you get your stateroom number.

This is quite a situation for you! You should get your assignment around 10 days out. Could be anytime though. As an intro to HAL GUAR bookers, I have to tell you that until you are checking at least six times a day to see if you've been assigned, you don't rate. :D

You might want to watch for upsells if you are interested in paying to book a higher category, like an SS or better.

Please come back and let us know how you did with your very first assignment!

I will keep you posted,it's actually kind of exciting not knowing plus being new to HAL. I'm only checking once a day at this point but I'm guessing that will change as we get closer:)

Sherri

You booked a guarantee in category VF, so you are a guaranteed a VF cat. or better, that you will see when cabin assignments are made. I understand the frustration of waiting to know your stateroom number, just be patient and you will be rewarded. Enjoy the cruise.

One added reminder, hold off in printing your boarding passes and luggage tags until after you get your stateroom number.

Thank you for the advice. I'm not really frustrated yet,more like anxious and excited:D

Sherri

I'm booked with a category H guarantee on the May 21 Zaandam. I don't intend to check to see if my cabin is assigned until about a week before sailing.

I also never wanted to know if my wife was having a boy or a girl.

My personal approach to a happy life is acceptance of and contentment with however the dice happen to come up. YMMV.

Good luck with your guarantee assignment! It's one of my favorite parts of cruising - the anticipation of receiving that email from HAL which notifies you of a stateroom assignment.

So they will email us when we have our Room assignment? Me guess is that must come at the same time it shows online so checking often really is not any better if they will email us anyway. Thanks for the info:)

Sherri

So they will email us when we have our Room assignment? Me guess is that must come at the same time it shows online so checking often really is not any better if they will email us anyway. Thanks for the info:)

Sherri

In my 'double 'checking I found our assignment on line. We work thru' a TA and never did get a personal Email and then she called after checking with our number. It's FOUR days out.

We booked an HH (the only option available) at an incredible price on a Canadian special which only appeared for a couple of days before disappearing. This was about 4 weeks before sailing.

We were assigned an HH right at the bow and under the theatre but we'll still have an entire ship and port experience to enjoy.

For us this is a first time 'cruising' on the edge. We usually book when a itinerary is first posted, why we've had our winter 2019 cabin for about three months and this winter's for well over a year!

Being such a compulsive long range planner, I'd printed our luggage tags and have just inked in the number.

Now when we were young we did all travelling independently around the world, well except Asia, but now we prefer the ease of cruising.

Ruth

Sherri

If you booked with HAL PCC, you will get an email. Otherwise, maybe.

I have always found the assignment by checking before I received the "Change of Booking" email.

I'm only checking once a day at this point but I'm guessing that will change as we get closer:)
FWIW, most of our 9 guarantee assignments have come around 7 pm to 8 pm Eastern time, which is 4 to 5 PM in Seattle. And for some strange reason the assignment has usually appeared on the baggage tags before it showed up on the boarding pass page of the edocs. If you booked with a TA, HAL will send the assignment email to them rather than to you, expecting them to pass it on to you. At least that's been our experience ... and we have always known before our TA notified us by checking incessantly ourselves! :)

Sherri

I've only seen my assignment when I'd do a faux printing of my luggage tags. They'd be blank for cabin # until it was actually assigned. There may be other methods to check, but this one has always worked for me. My last one showed a nice "upgrade" from the inside "I" guarantee to one of the Large Inside Spa cabins (IQ10043), which wasn't really an "inside", since it had a window.

Edited by slidergirl

Sherri

Are you sure it's the 4th and not the 5th?

You are correct, the cruise leaves on the 5th but we are flying down on the 4th and spending the night in Miami:cool:

Sherri

Same here (but spending night in FLL).... I was panicking that if you were right my plane would arrive after the ship sailed....or you may would have an unexpected surprise if you showed up a day early. I'm in a verandah guarantee, so will be interesting to see what happens..... hope to see you on board... (I'll be the one at the aft pool doing Suduko puzzles and sipping mocktails hoping for some relaxation....).;p

For what it's worth, we booked with a TA and received the "Change in Booking" email form HAL 14 days prior to departure. Booked a FF and were assigned a D, a good location. Our cruise has segments so maybe that's why the assignments came out early. I hadn't started checking yet, it was quite anearly surprise. Hope it holds! m--

Same here (but spending night in FLL).... I was panicking that if you were right my plane would arrive after the ship sailed....or you may would have an unexpected surprise if you showed up a day early. I'm in a verandah guarantee, so will be interesting to see what happens..... hope to see you on board... (I'll be the one at the aft pool doing Suduko puzzles and sipping mocktails hoping for some relaxation....).;p

Oh good grief,we are staying in Ft Lauderdale too..........guess I have vacation brain already :o

Sherri

For what it's worth, we booked with a TA and received the "Change in Booking" email form HAL 14 days prior to departure. Booked a FF and were assigned a D, a good location. Our cruise has segments so maybe that's why the assignments came out early. I hadn't started checking yet, it was quite anearly surprise. Hope it holds! m--

It seems that many have had good luck with the guarantee rooms- here's hoping we are as lucky:D

Sherri