Maasdam

beaniele

Didn't we miss a cruise on the same ship at the same time once before? I'm happy to see June 18 is one of the departures you're looking at. We can make up for that previous cancellation!

Yes, we were both booked on a Canada cruise on Veendam for August 2018 that got cancelled in favor of a run to Cuba. I do hope they come back with an itinerary similar to that one just for something a little different than the traditional Boston--Montreal run. I did also notice that Veendam is not yet on the schedule for 2019. Wonder if they'll keep her or if she's definitely gone one way or the other since they've obviously committed to Maasdam for a while longer.

My mother is definitely leaning towards the May 28 sailing I think mainly because we had absolutely perfect weather in the same timeframe last year (because of course the weather is always constant ;)). I have pros and cons for each voyage. I'll let you know what the decision is. I think she's waiting for our PCC to come back from vacay.

Sharon, this information is exciting! Thank you so much for posting it.

Makes me think, too, that maybe HAL plans to leave Maasdam in the fleet longer, and repurpose the ship. Perhaps a HAL, and HAL-lite, might be a plan with the older ships put to a traditional, cultural, and educational purpose while the newer ships are marketed to a different group.

I heard on the Volendam that HAL is rethinking getting rid of their smaller ships. The feeling was they realize many long-time mariners will probably switch to Viking Ocean. So in the meantime, they are hanging onto some of their older, smaller ships. Since we love the large promenade deck with lounge chairs. The much larger Oceanview Rooms than on the competition (Viking Ocean is all verandas). The more affordable price so that we can cruise more. And the fabulous itineraries, we applaud this direction.

Just boarded the Maasdam in Sydney for the 31 day South Pacific Cruise. Check in was so well organised, no

lines, and we were having lunch in the Lido by noon. Looks like the usual Maasdam clientele plus two young children, so it should be a wonderful experience. Same cabin as last year, all unpacked and ready to sail in a few hours. The ship is just as we remember, and in good shape. The Library is well stocked and tidy, only the Librarian is missing. All the crew are so welcoming, it’s great to be back. Happy sailing to you all.

Just boarded the Maasdam in Sydney for the 31 day South Pacific Cruise. Check in was so well organised, no

lines, and we were having lunch in the Lido by noon. Looks like the usual Maasdam clientele plus two young children, so it should be a wonderful experience. Same cabin as last year, all unpacked and ready to sail in a few hours. The ship is just as we remember, and in good shape. The Library is well stocked and tidy, only the Librarian is missing. All the crew are so welcoming, it’s great to be back. Happy sailing to you all.

Thanks for your comments.

Hope you have a calm crossing of the Tasman.

Looking forward to boarding on Monday.

This is on the HAL Website. Sounds like something I would enjoy if I didn't have cruises already booked.

Frequently Asked Questions

HOW DOES THE ONBOARD EXPERIENCE CHANGE ON AN EXC IN-DEPTH™ VOYAGE?

Guests aboard ms Maasdam EXC In-Depth Voyages can expect the same classic style, gracious intuitive service, attention to detail, award-winning dining, and most everything else they’ve come to love and expect from Holland America Line. And because EXC In-Depth Voyages are designed with more emphasis on the destination, we’re adding many new, optional activities under themes like Photography, Food, Wine & Spirits, Active Exploration, Nature and Science, History and Perspective, and Arts and Culture. In this spirit, there will be a few trade-offs. For example, instead of mainstage production shows, evening entertainment will more often and more intimately reflect the local culture. Instead of America’s Test Kitchen, EXC In-Depth Voyages will bring local chefs, locally sourced ingredients and local culinary traditions onboard to enhance the culinary offerings loved and expected by Holland America Line guests.

WHAT CAN CHILDREN DO ON AN EXC IN-DEPTH VOYAGE?

While many of the EXC In-Depth activities will be suitable for children, Club HAL will not operate on these Voyages.

CAN I COMBINE VOYAGES?

Absolutely. The possibilities are virtually endless. For example, combine the September 10, 2018 Kon Tiki Voyager with the October 14 Polynesian Idyll for a full 48 days exploring this remote and fascinating corner of the Pacific. Or join ms Maasdam on January 26th in Singapore and stay for 40 days, taking in the highlights of Vietnam, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and much more. Consider a carefully crafted contrast of seldom-visited ports like Uleguma in the Maldives Islands and the must-see metropolises of Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore. Or follow in the footsteps of some of history’s great intrepid explorers and combine all 13 voyages for a truly immersive, 239-day experience.

WHEN WILL MORE DETAILED INFORMATION BE AVAILABLE?

Additional details on EXC In-Depth Voyages activities, including onboard programs and onshore EXC Tours™ will be released in fall 2017.

FINALLY HAL has come up with some changes that will really improve the product. the main stage enterainment has not iterested me in years but this EXC - In Depth sounds really a good improvement, IMO I have never used my Five tsar benefit of cooking clases b ut t local chefs sound more interestinng to me. . I'm a really good cook who loves the kitchen but HAL's Ameica's

test KItchen makes me yawn. I am hopeful they are finally bringing g somehting new that is more interesting to my personal taste and interests. They have fully missed he boat with me since thinking changing the company LOGO was a good idea. It wasn't.

There was a time, for a long time when HAL did not have many, if any more loyal mairners.than my late DH and me.

Then so many meaningless, changes just for the sake of change. So many frugaltiies, some of which saved so little it cos t them more than saved IMO.

Edited by sail7seas

Great to hear. Will be boarding the Maasdam on Monday (that's Sunday USA time zone)

There is a rumour that HAL will make the Maasdam an expeditionship including zodiacs. Anybody know when? Looking at the itineraries up until 2019 they look as busyness aa usual.

But if the Maasdam will continue to hold 1,300 or so passengers, how useful will the zodiacs be? Isn't one of the problems in areas like the Antarctica the inability to transport onshore hundreds of passengers via zodiacs? Is there any indication that the ship will hold fewer passengers?

makes me even more excited for the Alaska three week adventure! so far away though.....

They only list the EXC In-Depth format through the trip from Auckland to San Francisco, just before the Alaska cruise you mention. Don't know whether they will keep it going. I too am very intrigued and will not miss the production shows.

I don't understand why they don't swap Maasdam and Veendam out and let Maasdam do the Bermuda and now Cuba trips. Maasdam still has her aft pool intact unlike Veendam who had hers converted to hot tubs and splash pools. Maasdam would be a much better warm weather ship and Veendam would be better suited to New England and Alaska.

There is a rumour that HAL will make the Maasdam an expeditionship including zodiacs. Anybody know when? Looking at the itineraries up until 2019 they look as busyness aa usual.

Not only do I no know when, I don't know if that is acurate but hope not. I LOVE Maasdam and have sailed her a oug 36+ cruises but not for ab out 4 years. I look forward to the next opportunity for me to sail her again. So MANY good times, such great memories of our cruises on thatt elegantly beautiful ship. :) I love her art, her MDROcean Bar. ........ so much Maas dam perfect to my taste.We go back to being at one of her Inaugural parties and still have not had enough cruises on her.

Not only do I no know when, I don't know if that is acurate but hope not. I LOVE Maasdam and have sailed her a oug 36+ cruises but not for ab out 4 years. I look forward to the next opportunity for me to sail her again. So MANY good times, such great memories of our cruises on thatt elegantly beautiful ship. :) I love her art, her MDROcean Bar. ........ so much Maas dam perfect to my taste.We go back to being at one of her Inaugural parties and still have not had enough cruises on her.

The Maasdam was our first HAL ship (1996) when we cruised her in the Baltic. At the time we were in our 40s, were a bit shocked at the age of our fellow passengers (we were among the youngest on that cruise)...but had a wonderful time. After that cruise DW and I decided we would wait until we were somewhat older to return to HAL...and continued numerous cruises with several other lines. In 2007 we returned to HAL and have been cruising a lot with the line ever since. We found that the passengers on HAL now see a lot younger :). We have recently booked a 2019 Maasdam cruise (in the South Pacific) and really look forward to returning to our first HAL vessel.

Over the years our favorite (and most frequently cruises ship) has been the Prinsendam. We suspect that the ole P'Dam will leave the fleet in the next 2 or 3 years...and then the Maasdam will have to take over the long interesting itineraries previously a hallmark of the P'Dam.

Hank

But if the Maasdam will continue to hold 1,300 or so passengers, how useful will the zodiacs be? Isn't one of the problems in areas like the Antarctica the inability to transport onshore hundreds of passengers via zodiacs? Is there any indication that the ship will hold fewer passengers?

I don't think the Maasdam is going to be that type of expedition ship using zodiacs. She going to be a ship that goes to some very unusual places that most ships don't go. So in that sense she is an expedition ship.

Her itinerary released for beyond April 2019 shows that she is going to some not very often visited places. Check out her itinerary from September 2018 to October 2019. Wish I wasn't already booked on cruises I want to do or I would be on the Maasdam.

For those interested in Alaska, check out her itinerary for Alaska in 2019. She has two extremely interesting itineraries in May and July of 2019.

Edited by Storylady

They only list the EXC In-Depth format through the trip from Auckland to San Francisco, just before the Alaska cruise you mention. Don't know whether they will keep it going. I too am very intrigued and will not miss the production shows.

This is correct. We booked the three-week Alaska cruise today and our PCC told us that it's just too early for info about the program for 2019, but they should know more by mid-2018. I'm not too worried about it. Also note that this itinerary is also not eligible for the Cyber Sale goodies (drat, but remember, you can refare later).

RuthC--Mother booked us on the May 28th sailing as I rather expected she would, so unfortunately we won't be cruising with you. :(

RuthC--Mother booked us on the May 28th sailing as I rather expected she would, so unfortunately we won't be cruising with you. :(

I wondered as soon as I started reading this post.

Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps someday---hope so!

Have a wonderful time on your 21-day Alaska cruise. It's great to have an exciting new itinerary.

This is correct. We booked the three-week Alaska cruise today and our PCC told us that it's just too early for info about the program for 2019, but they should know more by mid-2018. I'm not too worried about it. Also note that this itinerary is also not eligible for the Cyber Sale goodies (drat, but remember, you can refare later).

We'll be with you. Booked last night after reading this thread.

We cruised on the Maasdam in 2015 to Canada/New England, and it became my husband's and my favorite ship. We are really looking forward to being on her again.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

I wondered as soon as I started reading this post.

Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps someday---hope so!

Have a wonderful time on your 21-day Alaska cruise. It's great to have an exciting new itinerary.

I hope so too. I bet you have some great travel stories to tell. I'll bring the chocolate. :D

We'll be with you. Booked last night after reading this thread.

We cruised on the Maasdam in 2015 to Canada/New England, and it became my husband's and my favorite ship. We are really looking forward to being on her again.

Awesome! We sail only 18 months from tomorrow! :o

Actually I'll be on Maasdam again in April which I am very much looking forward to as well. So many cruises to daydream about....

• 3 weeks later...
It's been a few years (4? 5?) since I have sailed on the Maasdam, so I can't speak to her current condition. I can say that I love her size. Just large enough to be a decent cruise ship, but small enough to be able to return to your cabin for something without packing a lunch. You can meet the same people over and over again, which is nice.

There is lots of covered deck space from which to enjoy Alaska's famous 'liquid sunshine', and to watch the sea life from a low level.

This ship wasn't given as many Lanai cabins as her sister was, which means there are more lounge chairs available for the general public.

The Maasdam has a few (very few) 21-day Alaska cruises in '19, and I jumped to book one of them before they are gone. I'm looking forward to both the new itinerary and the ship.

;) Ruth a big thanks for the notice on Alaska '19, I have booked also! I have been looking at all Alaska Cruises for some time and this one is perfect. I am joining the Maasdam in Auckland through the Pacific to San Francisco, then the San Francisco - Alaska - San Francisco. I am already excited, and it's still about 18 months away. I had booked World 2019, but realised I would be repeating Cities I have enjoyed already, so moved the booking to Alaska. Look forward to following a Roll Call later on.

Cheers, Lynda

Will be on here on 2/25/18 out of our home town San Diego doing South America. Was worried when we booked onboard The Eurodam back in Oct 2017 if she was going to be sold. No chance she is in Prime shape and being kept! I am going to be letting everyone know how she is on our cruise!

Congrats on booking Alaska 2019.

Denise:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Maasdam after a 22 day South Pacific RT cruise from Auckland. I can report that the ship is in very good shape. The library is in very good shape with lots of books and games. In fact, there is a whole section in the library of extra paperbacks to swap. I found the crew on this cruise to be the best staff on any of my HAL cruises ever. I learned the names (and they learned mine and my preferences) of the main dining room staff, Lido staff, and bar waiters and bartenders. I've never been on first name terms with a Lido food manager, or an assistant maitre'd before. I hosted a 8 person dinner party at the Pinnacle, and the table was presented with a chocolate cake saying Happy Friendship spontaneously. My cabin stewards were superb. The only area that needs work is training for the crew running the tenders. The main dining room food was excellent. I can't comment on room service as I never had it, and all I ate in the Lido was lunch salads and cereal and yoghurt parfaits. I am a long time fan of the Maasdam, and drinkers should be glad to know that there are at least two bartenders who make strong Wang Wangs!

I just got off the Maasdam after a 22 day South Pacific RT cruise from Auckland. I can report that the ship is in very good shape. The library is in very good shape with lots of books and games. In fact, there is a whole section in the library of extra paperbacks to swap. I found the crew on this cruise to be the best staff on any of my HAL cruises ever. I learned the names (and they learned mine and my preferences) of the main dining room staff, Lido staff, and bar waiters and bartenders. I've never been on first name terms with a Lido food manager, or an assistant maitre'd before. I hosted a 8 person dinner party at the Pinnacle, and the table was presented with a chocolate cake saying Happy Friendship spontaneously. My cabin stewards were superb. The only area that needs work is training for the crew running the tenders. The main dining room food was excellent. I can't comment on room service as I never had it, and all I ate in the Lido was lunch salads and cereal and yoghurt parfaits. I am a long time fan of the Maasdam, and drinkers should be glad to know that there are at least two bartenders who make strong Wang Wangs!

Wow I’m excited!!! Thank you Sambamama for a great review!

Never had a Wang Wang but sure will try one on our cruise!

So glad you and an enjoyable cruise! Did the Milford Sound while in New Zealand and loved Auckland.

Denise:)

Happy New Year too!

At a Q&A session on the recent Pacific cruise,(same cruise as sambamama) the Captain said that HAL had decided to extend the life of the smaller ships in the fleet, and may also take Statendam and Ryndam back from their lease to P&O. Next years dry dock will see Maasdam fitted as an expedition ship with 2 cranes and Zodiacs on the bow deck.

Thank you so much for your input. I am very excited about 3 weeks in Alaska. I have not read much on this ship and am very happy to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk