Lifeboats

Last time we were on Oasis and walking on the track next to the lifeboats, I stopped & peaked in one of them. They had different colored shapes on what appeared to be seats. Has anyone ever seen a photo of a lifeboat actual filled? I know I would get in without hesitation but wow, what a snug squeeze that would be! And the higher/lower seats, I kept wondering would they have someone INSIDE placing everyone?

Not only would it be a extremely tight fit but there is not enough room for everyone.

But does it have enough?

18 lifeboats with a capacity of 370 equals only 6,660 people. Oasis has a total maximum population of around 8,500 when you count its capacity of around 6,300 passengers and 2,200 crew members. That means that there are around 1,850 people without the lifeboats which Royal Caribbean raves about.

If you noticed the large canisters lined up along with the life boats thats where the other, hopefully crew, 1800 are put.

Last time we were on Oasis and walking on the track next to the lifeboats, I stopped & peaked in one of them. They had different colored shapes on what appeared to be seats. Has anyone ever seen a photo of a lifeboat actual filled? I know I would get in without hesitation but wow, what a snug squeeze that would be! And the higher/lower seats, I kept wondering would they have someone INSIDE placing everyone?

This answers some of your questions:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/246/rescue-vessels-revolutionizing-life-boat-design/

16 crew per vessel.

Not only would it be a extremely tight fit but there is not enough room for everyone.

But does it have enough?

18 lifeboats with a capacity of 370 equals only 6,660 people. Oasis has a total maximum population of around 8,500 when you count its capacity of around 6,300 passengers and 2,200 crew members. That means that there are around 1,850 people without the lifeboats which Royal Caribbean raves about.

If you noticed the large canisters lined up along with the life boats thats where the other, hopefully crew, 1800 are put.

Sounds like a Titanic situation😬 I'm very claustrophobic so I think I will just get a bottle of wine and go down with the ship!

But does it have enough?

Does it have enough? Yes, per SOLAS, there only needs to be lifeboats for 75% of all souls onboard. There must be life saving equipment (boats, rafts, MES systems) totaling 125% of all souls onboard. Now, using your number of 8500 total souls onboard Oasis, 75% is 6375, so having a lifeboat capacity of 6600 is more than required. With 16 crew per boat, that comes out to a lifeboat capacity of 6663. So, there is enough lifeboat capacity for all passengers. Again using the 8500 number, the required amount of total life saving equipment is 10,625. The crew use davit launched 65 man life rafts or Marine Evacuation Systems (MES), which are 100-150 man rafts with an inflatable chute to get down to the raft.

Lifeboat capacity is based on a 75 kg (165 lb) person, and the seating area is 17" wide (butt width) and 24" from knees to butt. The "mega" lifeboats on Oasis class have dual level seating, where the people on the upper level drape their legs over the shoulders of those on the lower level.

Some ships, notably Princess, and some NCL, use the MES systems for passengers as well. These systems meet the requirement to be able to evacuate 500 persons within 30 minutes. The davit launched rafts are slower to deploy, so they are not counted towards passenger capacity.

Realize that if you ever get into a lifeboat, it is for one reason, to save your life, so "comfort" (what a tight squeeze), and modesty (where do I go to the bathroom?) go out the window. Yes, the Oasis boats have a toilet, but it isn't a "bathroom", it is out in the open. Other boats use the big blue toilet outside the boat. Food and water are very limited on boats as well: 2500 calories of food per person, and 3 liters of water per person. And if you get into a boat in the ocean, it can be days before a ship capable of taking you from the boat in a safe and secure manner may show up on scene.

If you must get into a lifeboat or life raft....your cruise experience is OVER. You are now in peril...and uncomfortable but hopefully alive. The lifeboat situation is the LAST thing you want to happen....especially, since most ships don't simply sink on an even keel out of sight. Usually, one side of the ship is under water, while the other side is too high to deploy anymore lifeboats.

Perilous situation, for sure.

If you must get into a lifeboat or life raft....your cruise experience is OVER. You are now in peril...and uncomfortable but hopefully alive. The lifeboat situation is the LAST thing you want to happen....especially, since most ships don't simply sink on an even keel out of sight. Usually, one side of the ship is under water, while the other side is too high to deploy anymore lifeboats.

Have you been watching A Night to Remember again?

And, as usual, you are spouting utter nonsense. In your vast maritime experience, what ships have not sunk on an even keel, and have rolled over? I know you will never be back to answer to one of your "drive by posts", but even the Concordia would have sunk on an even keel (albeit down by the stern, which doesn't affect launching boats) had it not grounded again on Giglio. And even though she ended up at nearly 90* over, 23 of 26 boats were successfully launched.

It is not uncommon for ships to use the life boats as tenders from ship to port.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

And if you look at the capacity ratings for those boats, they are typically 125 persons tender, 150 person lifeboat. And the tender operation includes seating on the "roof" of the boat, whereas when used as a lifeboat, you can't sit up there.

Lifeboat capacity is based on a 75 kg (165 lb) person, and the seating area is 17" wide (butt width) and 24" from knees to butt.

So what's the capacity for Americans then?

Average male is 195.7 and average female is 168.5.

The width is probably okay, airline seats are 17.8-18.5" wide.

That pitch though is killer. I'm 6'3" and my knees are jammed into the seat in front of me and that's with a 31" pitch.

So what's the capacity for Americans then?

Average male is 195.7 and average female is 168.5.

The width is probably okay, airline seats are 17.8-18.5" wide.

That pitch though is killer. I'm 6'3" and my knees are jammed into the seat in front of me and that's with a 31" pitch.

Capacity is the same, just a little more crowded. Up until about 4 years ago, it was based on a 68 kg (150 lb) person.

Just wanted to comment on a few things. In regards the Oasis, it took me a bit to figure out it was two level seating. The Harmony life boats seem to have a different design where the two level seating is more apparent.

About it taking days for a ship capable taking you on. A few years I thought about this in the Caribbean not as much a concern with all of the ships doing similiar intineries. However I started thinking about TA sailings, the only other ships that might be nearby are cargo ships and they are not exactly equiped to take on hundreds of passengers.

Lifeboat capacity is based on a 75 kg (165 lb) person, and the seating area is 17" wide (butt width) and 24" from knees to butt. The "mega" lifeboats on Oasis class have dual level seating, where the people on the upper level drape their legs over the shoulders of those on the lower level.

Some ships, notably Princess, and some NCL, use the MES systems for passengers as well. These systems meet the requirement to be able to evacuate 500 persons within 30 minutes. The davit launched rafts are slower to deploy, so they are not counted towards passenger capacity.

Realize that if you ever get into a lifeboat, it is for one reason, to save your life, so "comfort" (what a tight squeeze), and modesty (where do I go to the bathroom?) go out the window. Yes, the Oasis boats have a toilet, but it isn't a "bathroom", it is out in the open. Other boats use the big blue toilet outside the boat. Food and water are very limited on boats as well: 2500 calories of food per person, and 3 liters of water per person. And if you get into a boat in the ocean, it can be days before a ship capable of taking you from the boat in a safe and secure manner may show up on scene.

Have you been watching A Night to Remember again?

I hadn't heard of that one, but found it on IMDB. I'm surprised I haven't see it come on TCM. Will be searching for this one tonight.

Quick Research, $3.99 to watch on Amazon Prime. Maybe I'll see if the library has it.

Edited by BillOh

Those lifeboats on the cruise ships look positivly luxurious.

This was our choice of lifeboat in 1982 during the Falklands conflict in the South Atlantic.

HMS Coventry Keel up.

Most of the guys were floating about the South Atlantic, The lucky ones were in the Inflatable life rafts.

276547612_image1(002).thumb.jpeg.303443ff0a3bc14cd4e5bd15ea25329e.jpeg

Just wanted to comment on a few things. In regards the Oasis, it took me a bit to figure out it was two level seating. The Harmony life boats seem to have a different design where the two level seating is more apparent.

About it taking days for a ship capable taking you on. A few years I thought about this in the Caribbean not as much a concern with all of the ships doing similiar intineries. However I started thinking about TA sailings, the only other ships that might be nearby are cargo ships and they are not exactly equiped to take on hundreds of passengers.

The problem is not with the ship being equipped to take on the passengers, it is how do you get the passengers from the boats to the ship. A cargo ship has high sides, and using the accommodation ladder (the aluminum stairs that can be lowered and raised along the side of the ship) is difficult and dangerous in a seaway as the ladder can be damaged by swinging against the ship due to rolling, the boat can be damaged from hitting the ladder, or being hit by the swinging ladder, and the passengers could be hurt or lost trying to get from a pitching, rolling boat to a 2' x 2' platform. Or the ship could use a Jacob's ladder (the rope ladder that pilots use to board the ship). Imagine the average cruise ship passenger hauling themselves up a ladder like this, while being slammed against the side of the ship, for 30-40'. Even a cruise ship would find it difficult to get passengers from a boat onto the ship. Opening the tender platforms in an open seaway is an invitation to flooding the ship, and anyone who has experienced tendering knows how difficult it can be to get from the boat to the large platform in even small waves.

Lifeboats are designed to do one thing: take people away from a ship. Recovering a boat onto the ship is a secondary concern, and the reason why it is so dangerous, and the cause of the most injuries to mariners. Getting people from the boat to safety is also of secondary concern, and you will need very calm seas, and specialized vessels (like naval or coast guard) that have low sides, fenders to keep the boat from contacting the ship, nets to hang over the side for climbing, or cranes and rescue slings to lift people from the boat, and large crews who can operate the ship while still managing to bring large numbers of people aboard.

This has been very thought provoking. I mentioned the crew that would expedite the loading & in charge of the lifeboat to my husband. He said it would be shocking what they are legally allowed to do/willing to do for the safety of the lifeboat. And could you imagine anyone ever cruising again after lifeboat usage? I am thinking of how many people said “never again” on Triumph after it’s ordeal. Thanks for sharing your knowledge & comments, so interesting to me.

Imagine being on the bottom tier with someone's legs draped over you and they are seasick...…...ugh, I hope I never ever have to find out

I work with public & I am also thinking of personal hygiene.... really hoping that this is all just interesting to think on and never used!