Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:16 AM.
Sydney, NSW Australia
584 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
I wish Princess would start putting a bit more variety into their Australian cruises. You can only do NZ and/or Pacific Islands just so many times. I note that Melbourne get a few round trips which include Kangaroo Island and Adelaide - why can't we get these round trips from Sydney to include those ports. Even if they were to be part off an extended Tasmania cruise it would be better than present. Yes I know can get Adelaide to Melbourne and Melbourne To Adelaide also which includes Kangaroo Island, but I think they could start looking at round trips from Sydney. Surely there would be a market. What do you think?
I come from a land down under
26,251 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
They do a lot more than just the islands and NZ, they do Wld Coast, PNG, Tas all As round trips. Circumnavigation of Aus, Hawaii round trip, half circ Aus, top and bottom, I’m not sure the can offer that much else and while ever the current itineraries sell out repeatedly they need more capacity to accomodate hem, ad from Sydney that s currently a major hurdle
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
325 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I have to say, Sydney gets a lot more cruise lines in than else where in Australia, not just princess, I would be very happy with the choice from Sydney..... But Melbourne gets nothing during the middle of year.. Then only two ships do regular return trips, the golden princess and the pacific jewel... and the ferry to Tassie .. And another thing.. not everybody can or likes flying... so you should feel luck Sydney has a lots of options ..

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
Batehaven, Australia
11,676 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
At the end of the day if you want the better Princess ships and better itineraries, you need to fly to your port of embarkation. Once you have done Australia Circumnavigation, Pacific Islands, PNG, NZ etc, you need to go further afield to the Americas or Europe. If you cannot or don't want to fly, then you are missing out on a lot, I can assure you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Baltics, Scandinavia, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last trifecta of cruises:
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

Next Cruise: Nil booked. 'The Boss' has had enough of ships.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Sydney, NSW Australia
584 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Yes. I hear what you are all saying. I have done, South America, Round trip Sydney to Hawaii, Tasmania, PNG, Asia, Pacific, NZ but I still think they can be a bit more inventive. I am sure there would be a market from Sydney to Kangaroo Island etc. just as an example. Yes I know I can go to UK, Baltic, Med etc etc etc All I am suggesting is that a bit of variety here would be of benefit to us all.
26,251 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by NSWP
At the end of the day if you want the better Princess ships and better itineraries, you need to fly to your port of embarkation. Once you have done Australia Circumnavigation, Pacific Islands, PNG, NZ etc, you need to go further afield to the Americas or Europe. If you cannot or don't want to fly, then you are missing out on a lot, I can assure you.
Yep but when flying is out you make do best you can.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

gold coast
288 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
were do you expect them to go ???? from brisbane once you've done png, the islands etc there's not much choice for 7 to 10 day cruises esp when it takes 2 days to get there and 3 to nz,
Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
325 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
What would nice it Princess did more circumnavigation of Australia, as they seam to sell out quickly..... yes I know it leave from Sydney... but it is on the bucket list.

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
26,251 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by getting older slowly
What would nice it Princess did more circumnavigation of Australia, as they seam to sell out quickly..... yes I know it leave from Sydney... but it is on the bucket list.

Cheers Don
It was on our bucket for ages, did it loved it, hoping to do it again, with a few different ports, in the not to distant future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Philippines
776 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I believe a couple of factors are in play here. First the size of Australia provides a big challenge to the cruise lines, sea days are costly and as others have said, having to run 3 days at sea on a 7 day cruise, without it being a one way cruising. While many may think Princess makes more money on sea days, it really doesn't. The running cost of the fuel more than eats up any added bar profit. Also staffing costs, and food costs because everyone is on the ship.

The second factor here is (again others have posted this too) Princess Ships are sailing full, they need more capacity just to cover the routes. The cruise lines are still developing the market so the goal is to bring many new to cruising onto the ships. That is why they do so many short cruises, and short cruises means repeating ports.

As the market grows the capacity will also grow and longer cruises to give more and different ports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Remember you can adjust or remove the Daily Gratuity Service Fee, Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) , up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment.
Nelson Bay
1,288 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by joybook
Yes. I hear what you are all saying. I have done, South America, Round trip Sydney to Hawaii, Tasmania, PNG, Asia, Pacific, NZ but I still think they can be a bit more inventive. I am sure there would be a market from Sydney to Kangaroo Island etc. just as an example. Yes I know I can go to UK, Baltic, Med etc etc etc All I am suggesting is that a bit of variety here would be of benefit to us all.
We have booked a Golden Princess cruise from Sydney B2B with a cruise Melbourne - Kangaroo Island - Melbourne. Not quite a return to Sydney, but near enough. This cruise departs Sydney on 25 Oct 2019.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney, Australia
14,698 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I actually think Princess and P&O have the most diverse itineraries of any lines operating here. There's some repetition as there has to be, but there's also a lot of variety.

While such an itinerary would suit some, it would also mean taking away a different itinerary. I don't think there's overwhelming demand for such an itinerary that makes it better than alternatives.
Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
19,644 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
There could be an argument for the opposite view , in that if the cruise ships set up regular ,year round , ports of call , tours and traders could set themselves up to cater to the demand rather than trying to cope with an onslaught of customers on a one day wonder call ,followed by weeks /months of no calls.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
Brisbane
606 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
I think that the reason Australian itineraries are fairly limited is due to two things.

Firstly, passengers generally hate tendering.

Secondly, there are very few suitable docks in the region. Which is why Vila and Noumea get such heavy workouts.

I would like to see more tender ports like Nuie and Tonga. If someone offered a cruise from Brisbane or Sydney to the Cook Islands, I'd grab it for sure.

There is talk of upgrading the ports at places like Coffs Harbour and Eden. You would think there might be some potential for similar things at King Island and Flinders Island or even Ceduna.
Gold Coast
10,892 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
How about a return cruise to Darwin during winter, stopping at different ports each way?

The North is blessed with glorious sunny warm/hot winters. Why the cruise lines don't make the most of the northern winter is beyond me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland to Halifax, Canada (Booked)
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2018 - Halifax, Canada to Miami, Florida (Booked)
Azamara - Journey - 2017 - Singapore to Hong Kong
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam