Prinsendam cabin questions

tanti

Looking to book a cruise on the Prinsendam and have a question for previous cruisers on that ship. I have been on HAL before but never on this ship and like the idea of the smaller ship and low passenger count but was wondering about cabin location and noise. I was looking into getting a Vista Suite (balcony) on Promenade deck aft. Like cabin 217 or 215. Is there a lot of noise or other disturbance from the pool deck above?

This is my favorite ship in the HAL fleet. I've stayed in different balcony rooms as well as ocean view rooms. (Often I decide to sail late and don't get a true choice of cabin). I've never been bothered with room noise in any area I've stayed. Yet, maybe others will have a definite response for those specific cabin numbers. You will love the Prinsendam!

Marianne

My favourite ship too :)

The pool that you are talking about is the sea view pool. I would suspect the most noise would be setting up of the chairs and taking them down but.......

It looks like you are booking an AB cabin. These are the cabins that were "added on" to the Prinsendam. There have been some issues with noise and vibration in these cabins. Some report the side cabins are ok now and some disagree.

Nevertheless this will not be the original Prinsendam cabin but a standard HAL cabin.

If it were me, I would opt for the original cabins and a different location. This is one time being aft isn't the "be all to end all". ;)

We did a TA in 210 on Prinsendam in 2014. Those add-on cabins lack the walk-in closets of the originals, but it was spacious and comfortable, and we never noticed any noise - it was great being just below the aft pool deck. On a warmer water cruise, it might have been busier - but it was a good deal for a balcony cabin. Prinsendam is a beautiful ship - with great crew, because it seems the one most of their staff prefer to work on.

I know at one time they also had problems with pool run off getting on the balconies of the AB. I with Kazu, we avoid those cabins as they lack the same ambience of the original cabins.

We had no problem with pool run off. And, yes, they lack SOME of the ambience --- but they are balcony cabins and they are significantly less expensive than the original cabins. Of course, if money is no object you should always buy top of the line --- but since price IS a concern for some of us, the fact that perfectly adequate accommodations do not have EVERYTHING is hardly reason to avoid them.

The pool water slopping depends on sea conditions. Was on a TATL on the Prinsendam 4 years ago (boarded in Civitavecchia exactly on this day). Rear pool was full when moored, empty of water the next morning (seas were rough once we got out of port). Pool was empty all the time until the ship got to Fort Lauderdale. The crew might have filled the pool one more time but it slopped out soon after sailing.

Booked a BC category at a private sale rate of $1,200 and got a md-shp A cabin. :)

This is my favorite ship in the HAL fleet. I've stayed in different balcony rooms as well as ocean view rooms. (Often I decide to sail late and don't get a true choice of cabin). I've never been bothered with room noise in any area I've stayed. Yet, maybe others will have a definite response for those specific cabin numbers. You will love the Prinsendam!

Marianne

The pool that you are talking about is the sea view pool. I would suspect the most noise would be setting up of the chairs and taking them down but.......

It looks like you are booking an AB cabin. These are the cabins that were "added on" to the Prinsendam. There have been some issues with noise and vibration in these cabins. Some report the side cabins are ok now and some disagree.

Nevertheless this will not be the original Prinsendam cabin but a standard HAL cabin.

If it were me, I would opt for the original cabins and a different location. This is one time being aft isn't the "be all to end all". ;)

And my favorite ship too..We did not have a balcony but had an outside cabin on Main deck No.331 very close to the elevators..Never any noise in our cabin & it was midship which was fantastic as we were on her for 68 days...Another trip of a lifetime! ..

Edited by serendipity1499

I stayed in cabin 212 for 28 days in May of 2015. Although it was one of the cabins added to the ship, we thoroughly enjoyed the location. No walk in closet as in the original cabins, but had plenty of hanging space. Balcony was larger that the normal vista suite, so this is an advantage. After I booked I had second thoughts, but once settled in to room 212, I did not have second thoughts. Only a couple floors above the dining room.

So, just for future reference, are all of the veranda suites on the promenade deck the only "added on" suites or are there some on the upper promenade deck as well?

So, just for future reference, are all of the veranda suites on the promenade deck the only "added on" suites or are there some on the upper promenade deck as well?

Just the AB cabins to the best of my knowledge.

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is a year old now, but i didn't see anything more recent, so figured i'd add to this one -

We just booked our first Prinsendam cruise for one of the newly released summer 2019 europe cruises, very excited! Our budget can only do an inside cabin, and the FCC suggested we take one of the K cabins on the promenade deck AFT, she said these were some of the biggest inside cabins on the ship. I wanted to ask all the p-dam lovers on this board for advice on if this was a good choice? i see there is no walk in closet... but we've never had one on HAL before, so i guess we won't miss it?? ;) Is there another inside cabin that would be better? thanks in advance.

I just discovered this thread and have a question as well. We are looking booking a Vista Suite on a cruise in Europe on this ship.

I'm looking at the deck plans. How do I tell the difference between the "original" rooms and the add on rooms referenced in this thread?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I know this thread is a year old now, but i didn't see anything more recent, so figured i'd add to this one -

We just booked our first Prinsendam cruise for one of the newly released summer 2019 europe cruises, very excited! Our budget can only do an inside cabin, and the FCC suggested we take one of the K cabins on the promenade deck AFT, she said these were some of the biggest inside cabins on the ship. I wanted to ask all the p-dam lovers on this board for advice on if this was a good choice? i see there is no walk in closet... but we've never had one on HAL before, so i guess we won't miss it?? ;) Is there another inside cabin that would be better? thanks in advance.

Those cabins are HUGE and GREAT....I loved them! I was initially in one of the "original" inside cabins on the Prinsendam. Worst cabin I have ever had and when I expressed this sentiment to a crew member was told that they were never intended to be passenger cabins.....when she was the Royal Viking all passenger cabins were outside cabins and that these spaces were for "trunks, nannies and small children."

Fortunately Prinsendam moved me to one of the newer cabins. Even the location was excellent.

If you cannot get one of these inside cabins you should consider booking an ocean view rather than an "original" inside.

Enjoy the Prinsendam! Best "dam" ship of the fleet...:-)

I just discovered this thread and have a question as well. We are looking booking a Vista Suite on a cruise in Europe on this ship.

I'm looking at the deck plans. How do I tell the difference between the "original" rooms and the add on rooms referenced in this thread?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Since HAL can change the category types on the deck plan, the easiest way I have found is to look for the symbol that designates "no walk in closet".

Since HAL can change the category types on the deck plan, the easiest way I have found is to look for the symbol that designates "no walk in closet".

Now I see what you are talking about when I look at the deck plans. Your advice is always very kind and accurate. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Now I see what you are talking about when I look at the deck plans. Your advice is always very kind and accurate. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

You are most welcome :). Happy to help and thank you for the very kind words. :o

I have booked OV cabin 495. Looking a ship photo question as to whether the window is covered from above. Anybody know?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Do mean obscured or covered by the lifeboats?

If that is the case, I wouldn't think so. Lifeboats are a couple of decks above.

I don't have a pic but in looking cabin 462 does not appear to have an issue and window looks clear. You can see the details by googling Prinsendam - ocean view cabin - 462.

Hope someone who has been in that cabin can be of more help.

I was initially in one of the "original" inside cabins on the Prinsendam. Worst cabin I have ever had and when I expressed this sentiment to a crew member was told that they were never intended to be passenger cabins.....when she was the Royal Viking all passenger cabins were outside cabins and that these spaces were for "trunks, nannies and small children."

Hope you took it with a big grain of salt. While the Pdam may be old, I don't think she was sailing in the days of trunks and nannies in separate cabins!

Heck, I've been cruising since 1972 and even when I started cruising those were the 'olden days'. :D

Hope you took it with a big grain of salt. While the Pdam may be old, I don't think she was sailing in the days of trunks and nannies in separate cabins!

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea, at least when it comes to trunks.

People on Royal Viking were on long, exotic cruises, and women tended to wear designer gowns. I can picture at least some of them needing the extra space for storage.