hotels in London

can anyone recommend a few reasonably priced hotels in London or some that you may have really enjoyed? We will be staying for 2 or 3 days in London before our cruise and would need shuttle service to the Southampton cruise port and are considering doing tours through Viator. thank you.

You realize you can take the train from Central London to Southampton and from the station it is a short taxi ride to the appropriate pier.

I have no idea what you think is "reasonable" but one hotel we have used with success is the Amba Charing Cross.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Waterloo, which is a few short blocks from the Waterloo train station. The train runs direct to Southampton Central (super easy!) and then we grabbed a taxi to the port.

Waterloo is walking distance to the London Eye, Parliament and other sites. Plus, you can get to just about anywhere via the tube. All in all, super convenient.

I can highly recommend Premier Inn Victoria Station.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-victoria.html

1) Private transfer from London to Southampton with Smiths for airports. 2) Again, from cruise port back to Heathrow.

Value for money and very reliable.

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

From Heathrow to the hotel private transfer with used "Simply airports".

http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/

I agree with the recommendation to use Smiths For Airports. We were very happy with their service and they are highly recommended on Cruise Critic. We stayed at Luna & Simone (very reasonable and excellent breakfast, bus stop at the door and tube nearby) and loved it but it would not be a good choice if you cannot manage stairs or have a ton of luggage. However, it is also an excellent suggestion to take the train to Southampton, in which case you would want to be near Waterloo Station. The train is very easy and much less expensive than a private car transfer.

I agree with the recommendation to use Smiths For Airports. We were very happy with their service and they are highly recommended on Cruise Critic.

The train is very easy and much less expensive than a private car transfer.

The price of a private transfer 2 years ago was 71 pounds. We gave the driver 80, since he was early and a cautious driver.

I found the price very reasonable.

We stayed at Crowne Plaza Kensington. Very nice hotel with breakfast, 2 minute walk to tube station, outside the tube is the pick up for Big Bus Tours hoho, which was the best hoho we have done in a long time, bus makes 26 stops, hits all the high points and includes a water taxi tour from Big Ben area to London tower. At London tower you can re board the HoHo. Never waited more then 10 minutes for next bus. Several good cheap restaurants very close, and a grocery store across the street. Used Blackberry cars from airport to hotel for 39 pounds, used blackberry for transfer from hotel to Southampton for 105 pounds. New car and great driver. happy cruising

I guess it is how you define good and convenient areas.

We have stayed at the Hilton at Paddington Station. Very easy to use the tube to get to places.

Anyone know of any Hilton properties in GOOD AND CONVENIENT areas in London

I have also stayed at the Doubletree West End. Rooms were small but more than adequate. Wonderful breakfast. Close to tube station and British Museum. Walkable to theater district and Chinatown. I found it very convenient and not horribly expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seconding The Rubens. Very convenient, awesome staff. When we stayed there,they had a 3 nights for 2 deal which almost made it "reasonable" for London. Right by Nova Victoria which has a great pizza place, doughnut shop, coffee shop, etc. We also enjoyed the Phoenix pub which was right around the corner.

H10 London Waterloo is amazing. Rooms are not big,but very comfortable. The best thing about this hotel is the breakfast buffet. The best I ever had. It’s also pretty close to Waterloo station.

You could also check out Premier Inn. Reasonably priced and they have hotels all over the city (even in Southampton)

Cindy

Here are some tips from someone who lives in London :

Transfer from hotel to Southampton : use a minicab firm. Find one online if you like to plan ahead, otherwise wait until you have arrived in London and then contact local firms.

Hotels : Location is key so ones near Waterloo, West End, London Bridge are recommended. Next look at bookings dot com or other major hotel sites for best deals for the dates you are staying. Hotels in London are expensive and price is determined by demand and location, not necessarily by comfort or facilities.

My recommendation for a budget stay is Travelodge or Premier Inn as major brands.

One thing to consider is proximity to convenient places for meals as hotel restaurants offer poor value regarding cost and quality. Plenty of places to eat when you step outside of the hotel especially at Waterloo, London Bridge and West End which is why I have recommended these locations.

London Underground and buses are a good way to get around. Use black cabs if you are not comfortable with using public transport in an unfamiliar area.

A few additions to good info ^^^^

Travelodge and Premier are not on sites like booking so you need to book them via their own websites.

Trains also go from Southampton to London Waterloo or London Victoria frequently

Uber has had their licence pulled in London so there is now no alternative to black cabs

For tube and bus travel you will need to get an Oystercard. You preload this with ££ and use it to pay for travel. Busses don’t accept cash any more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot depends on what you mean by reasonable. As you only have a few days you might want to stay as near the to centre of thing as possible. I tend to measure my distance from the centre as the distance from Leicester Square.

There are various so called budget chains like Travelodge and Premier Inn but they can be expensive in London and some of there properties are not very central. Sites such as booking.com and hotels.com can have better deals on full service hotels.

I do not have an always stay at hotel in London. I tend to use the two booking websites mentioned and see who has a good deal on a very centrally located four or five star hotel. You can get bargains but the hotel will be different each time. Fixing on one hotel may lead to paying more than you need for that location and quality. Four and five star are pretty good. Three star can be good but also sometimes poor.

At the very cheap end of the sale some London Hotels still have shared bathrooms. Last week I booked on of these my mistake assuming bathrooms were all ensuite today.

I always ask for quiet room when I book a hotel in London. Street noise can be a problem in London. I might end up with a room at the back of the hotel but at least I can sleep. Not all London hotels have air conditioned rooms but depending on the time of year that may not be a problem. If you like air conditioning do check before you book. Opening windows will just let in more street noise.

The Ritz, Dorchester, Claridges and Savoy (my personal favourite place to stay) are historic luxury hotels but may be a waste of money if you intend to spend all of your time out of the hotel sightseeing in London.

If you want to see lots of sights in a short time the open top tour busses are good. You can often hop on and hop off at the stops too.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

Not sure if this will fall in "reasonable" but we stayed at the Lord Milner. Wonderful boutique hotel (we didn't do the breakfast option as there are plenty of options in the area). It is around the corner from Victoria Station so access to everything, and a reasonable walk to Buckingham Palace. Worth the look.

I have also stayed at the Doubletree West End. Rooms were small but more than adequate. Wonderful breakfast. Close to tube station and British Museum. Walkable to theater district and Chinatown. I found it very convenient and not horribly expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly our experience. Plus the cookies taste good.

JC