Gratuities

carefree lady

Can I use onboard credit for gratuities? I'm new to Oceania.

In case you didnt know, if you either book with or transfer your O cruise to a good TA, they can usually get you free gratuities plus some OBC, depending on the cruise. But, if you initially booked through Oceania, you only have 30 days to transfer it to a TA. Just thought I'd pass that little tidbit along.

In case you didnt know, if you either book with or transfer your O cruise to a good TA, they can usually get you free gratuities plus some OBC, depending on the cruise. But, if you initially booked through Oceania, you only have 30 days to transfer it to a TA. Just thought I'd pass that little tidbit along.

Booking direct with O is shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to benefits. O really encourages you to book with an agent who is not salaried but only works for them on commission. O dosen't have to hire and pay a larger sales staff thus.

Through the agents relation with O he can get you prepaid gratuities, and on board credits too. If he is a top producer and your looking for a up-sell for a good price, O will come to him among the first calls , if you express that desire. and finally many agents do all of the above PLUS they will give you a cash rebate after the cruise to show you their appreciation, of around 8-10% of your fare !!!! O will do none of the above... only for an agent.

The OP never said she booked directly through O. I have never received/taken prepaid grats thru my TA even on my first cruise. I used to take a rebate or back then a steep discount on the cruise (when they could discount by more than 5%).

The OP never said she booked directly through O. I have never received/taken prepaid grats thru my TA even on my first cruise. I used to take a rebate or back then a steep discount on the cruise (when they could discount by more than 5%).

Sorry Paul, My agent has consistently provided all 3 on all cruises. I added the agent thing because of Ken's comment about agents and wanted to stress the relationship and benefit and why. I have been more than happy with my guy, I have also met a number of agents who refuse to discount or rebate at all saying that I should be grateful for their service Which sounded a bit aloof or down right arrogant to me..

What great service, picking up a phone to forward my cruise and cabin selection that I did everything but contact O... Really Others appreciated my business and the fact they didn't have to sell me a cruise and a cabin and gave them a easy commission.

Paul, you can still get discounts of more than 5% as long as the TA doesn't advertise a discount over 5%. And, technically NOT a discount. You have to pay the full fare no matter who you book with. You then get the rebate rather than OBC which is a better than the OBC as you can use the money as you see fit and not have to spend it on things you might not need on board.

You need to do your own research here as we are not allowed to mention TA’s on CC. Start by Googling Top Travel Agents and interview them. You might want to search Forbes as well. If you snooze you lose.

Dave is spot on. We usually take the rebate which can vary from 8-10% depending on the cruise line. The luxury lines such as Crystal and Regent pay higher commissions so the agent can offer you more. Finding a powerful agent is the key to all this. Usually you get a check after completing your cruise. We missed out on this for several years until we were introduced to a great agent and agency.

If you book direct you are losing many benefits and throwing money and perks out the window.

You need to do your own research here as we are not allowed to mention TA’s on CC. Start by Googling Top Travel Agents and interview them. You might want to search Forbes as well. If you snooze you lose.

Dave is spot on. We usually take the rebate which can vary from 8-10% depending on the cruise line. The luxury lines such as Crystal and Regent pay higher commissions so the agent can offer you more. Finding a powerful agent is the key to all this. Usually you get a check after completing your cruise. We missed out on this for several years until we were introduced to a great agent and agency.

If you book direct you are losing many benefits and throwing money and perks out the window.

Agree with the others. Why not transfer your booking to a TA (within 30 days) to take advantage of generous rebate. My TA sends the rebate to us before (not after) the cruise with our final cruise documents.

Paul, you can still get discounts of more than 5% as long as the TA doesn't advertise a discount over 5%. And, technically NOT a discount. You have to pay the full fare no matter who you book with. You then get the rebate rather than OBC which is a better than the OBC as you can use the money as you see fit and not have to spend it on things you might not need on board.

Yes was not clear.

I was referring to the before the rebate change. I do now take a rebate of over 5% -- and sometimes OBC. Before O instituted the rebate policy my former TA who was an internet and brick & mortar used to advertise a discount of 10%.

Hey CL,

>Can I use onboard credit for gratuities? I'm new to Oceania.<

Yes.

The OBC goes as a credit to your account. The Service Charge (grats) is debited from your account each day.

Enjoy your voyage.

Ira

Agree with the others. Why not transfer your booking to a TA (within 30 days) to take advantage of generous rebate. My TA sends the rebate to us before (not after) the cruise with our final cruise documents.

Ours use to send us a check before the cruise but they had issues with people cancelling or not finishing the cruise such as medical or family emergencies. Not a problem for us as the check is here by the time we get home. Cruise insurance does not cover agent commissions.

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie cruiser here. I booked through my TA and got my gratuities covered, but I'm wondering if that means ALL gratuities or just the standard 16% per day. Will it cover the 18% gratuity on all beverage purchases? Will I be expected to tip the shore excursion tour guides?

Newbie cruiser here. I booked through my TA and got my gratuities covered, but I'm wondering if that means ALL gratuities or just the standard 16% per day. Will it cover the 18% gratuity on all beverage purchases? Will I be expected to tip the shore excursion tour guides?

the daily gratuities are not 16% it is $16 pp pd

If you have a drink package the gratuities are covered in the daily rate

if not the 18% will be added to each drink purchase automatically

I used a TA who has given me gratuities PLUS insurance for both of us. Would it be tacky to ask about a rebate? Also I wanted to pay for La Reserve on Rivera with OBC but was told I could not since you only use OBC while on the ship. Of course it will be totally booked by the time we get on board. Any suggestions? Thanks

I used a TA who has given me gratuities PLUS insurance for both of us. Would it be tacky to ask about a rebate? Also I wanted to pay for La Reserve on Rivera with OBC but was told I could not since you only use OBC while on the ship. Of course it will be totally booked by the time we get on board. Any suggestions? Thanks

Don't understand why it would be tacky to ask, worst case is they say no. It is strictly business and you are simply negotiating. Nothing tacky about a business negotiation. As to paying for La Reserve pre-cruise with OBC, cannot be done and if concerned about it being full upon boarding, book and pay for now and use the OBC for something else while on board. No other way to go.

The time to negotiate perks from your ta is BEFORE you book with that ta

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ours use to send us a check before the cruise but they had issues with people cancelling or not finishing the cruise such as medical or family emergencies. Not a problem for us as the check is here by the time we get home. Cruise insurance does not cover agent commissions.

As you probably know Oceania requires full payment for the cruise a few months before departure and if you have to cancel or not finish your cruise such as a medical or family emergency as you suggest, the cruise line is not going to give you any refund and the travel agent has most likely already been paid their commission. That is my understanding, and probably is the reason why my TA (and others I am sure) gives the rebate check with the final cruise documents that are sent out before the cruise.