Personalizing Your Cabin

Dcoy

On my Cunard world cruise, we did receive a map of the voyage. I had all three Captins (we were just too much for one captain for the entire trip) and other crew members sign my map. The captins signed in the area of the world that they were in charge of the ship.

Don

I like that idea! Really personalizes it.

• 3 months later...
I have heard conflicting reports about the Amsterdam. Some say they absolutely are and others say magnets didn't work. From my experience on Westerdam I needed heavy duty magnets for anything more than one or two pieces of paper.

If magnetic won't work on the cabin walls, how do you fasten things to the walls?

Even on our 34 day Circumnavigation of Australia we took some photos of the kids! Mrs G took a throw rug she wanted for nights on the balcony so took the one off the lounge at home.

What a great idea! Even the cheap fleece ones sold in the drugstores would do!

FYI...along the "map theme"...I found on Amazon various maps for grandkids to follow along that I'm going to get for Christmas presents. One is one that you scratch off a country to reveal it below, others are of assorted interest, too. Nice choices to give them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FYI, I checked the Amsterdam walls in a verandah cabin (Deck 6) while on it in August, and my VERY HEAVY duty (supposed to hold 130 sheets of paper and one that should have held coats from Amazon) magnets did not stick on any of the cabin walls. Now, if I recall, as you go "up decks" the wallpaper is thicker (more posh) ;) so those of us in the depths of the ship might find they do stick (OV cabins), so I'm bringing them "just in case" but my real plan are the Command hooks, etc. Like others, I've bought (at Walmart) the collapsing bins for under the sink...just the half-height ones.

Thanks for sharing...keep it up...just added greeting cards to my ever-lengthening list!

janmcn, we're on the HAL WC through Hong Kong. What is the height of the storage bins you bought for under the sink? All I've seen at Walmart are bins that are about 12" high.

I can't find the post but I think the bins that were recommended are 5.5 inches high. I added these to my amazon wish list when I saw the recommendation so I wouldn't forget the size or to buy them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENYLMYG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2MDJE9JERQJL6&colid=6QS7MWL6QHLR

I can't find the post but I think the bins that were recommended are 5.5 inches high. I added these to my amazon wish list when I saw the recommendation so I wouldn't forget the size or to buy them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENYLMYG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2MDJE9JERQJL6&colid=6QS7MWL6QHLR

You can get ones much like those on Amazon from the Dollar Tree (likely other dollar stores have them as well). They have them in a variety of sizes. They fold up flat and weigh next to nothing.

FYI, I checked the Amsterdam walls in a verandah cabin (Deck 6) while on it in August, and my VERY HEAVY duty (supposed to hold 130 sheets of paper and one that should have held coats from Amazon) magnets did not stick on any of the cabin walls. Now, if I recall, as you go "up decks" the wallpaper is thicker (more posh) ;) so those of us in the depths of the ship might find they do stick (OV cabins), so I'm bringing them "just in case" but my real plan are the Command hooks, etc. Like others, I've bought (at Walmart) the collapsing bins for under the sink...just the half-height ones.

Thanks for sharing...keep it up...just added greeting cards to my ever-lengthening list!

Thanks so much for confirming that magnets won't work on our Grand Asia next year. We are in a 6th deck verandah.

• 6 months later...
FYI...along the "map theme"...I found on Amazon various maps for grandkids to follow along that I'm going to get for Christmas presents. One is one that you scratch off a country to reveal it below, others are of assorted interest, too. Nice choices to give them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter made us a globe with gold leaf. We can mark the itinerary as we go with a gold marker and attach special memories with gold stickies she gave us. It will be a keepsake we can keep forever in the office.

• 4 weeks later...

If heavy duty magnets didn't work in an upper deck cabin, my guess is the cabin structure is aluminium rather than steel. You are more likely to find steel rather than aluminium in lower decks, so magnets may work.

We also use command hooks extensively.

• 9 months later...

Little late in the game, and we've only gone on a few cruises, but what I do is pack a "digital photo frame."  I copy any pictures I want to a memory stick or memory card (depends on the frame) and then run the frame the way it would at our house.  It cuts down on clutter.  I can have lots of pictures, all depending on the memory device size, and they run constantly … or at least when I have it on when we are in the room … like a slide show.  

On a world cruise I imagine you could have two such frames.  One could be used to run photos you bring from home and the other could be used to make a slide show of your favorite cruise photos as you add them during the trip.

Or if you can only bring one photo frame, you can certainly bring multiple storage cards/sticks to run on it.

Edited by mamkmm2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

Little late in the game, and we've only gone on a few cruises, but what I do is pack a "digital photo frame."  I copy any pictures I want to a memory stick or memory card (depends on the frame) and then run the frame the way it would at our house.  It cuts down on clutter.  I can have lots of pictures, all depending on the memory device size, and they run constantly … or at least when I have it on when we are in the room … like a slide show.  

On a world cruise I imagine you could have two such frames.  One could be used to run photos you bring from home and the other could be used to make a slide show of your favorite cruise photos as you add them during the trip.

Or if you can only bring one photo frame, you can certainly bring multiple storage cards/sticks to run on it.

What I will look into is doing that on the TV in the stateroom.  I could just bring a memory stick and plug it in.  But I'll have to ask if that would work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

On 3/2/2019 at 7:33 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What I will look into is doing that on the TV in the stateroom.  I could just bring a memory stick and plug it in.  But I'll have to ask if that would work. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wanted to sinc my wireless earbuds to the TV but it wouldn't work and the butler looked into it but no go.  Disappointing because my friend goes to bed at 8pm and doesn't want any sound in the cabin so I was hoping I could watch TV or movies with my earbuds in.  Our internet is too slow to stream anything without upgrading to very expensive faster internet speeds. Oh well...just keep listening to music in the evenings.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

I wanted to sinc my wireless earbuds to the TV but it wouldn't work and the butler looked into it but no go.  Disappointing because my friend goes to bed at 8pm and doesn't want any sound in the cabin so I was hoping I could watch TV or movies with my earbuds in.  Our internet is too slow to stream anything without upgrading to very expensive faster internet speeds. Oh well...just keep listening to music in the evenings.

One of the downsides of having a cabin mate I guess.  My husband, luckily, can sleep through any noise; in fact he likes to fall asleep with the TV or radio on.  He also goes to bed early--I expect I'll be out and about in the nightclubs or at the shows more than I otherwise would be.  We also have a curtain between the bed and the little sitting area, I can always read or work on my blog or something on my laptop (which I will take with me.)

On 3/4/2019 at 6:21 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

We also have a curtain between the bed and the little sitting area

Wish we had this! It would probably help. I had originally thought of bringing a shower curtain and hooking it onto the magnetic hooks on the ceiling (I brought the hooks and have little white lights on them now), but decided that it was too much of a hassle.

20190305_062604.jpg

Edited by Go-Bucks!