Do you go to Mix and Mingles?

grest

It looks like 25 people must sign up....then what happens?

Sometimes....not much.

Last cruise on the June 3 Glory, notices with incorrect dates/times were sent to the cabins of the respondents. Maybe 8 of the minimum 25 showed up, and the event was rescheduled for the last sea day.

On an April Conquest cruise, I didn't get a notice nor did I see a posting in the Fun Times for a M&M.

I actually had better luck with informal M&G's through the roll calls, sometimes 20 - 30 cruisers meeting at an aft pool.

On NCL I have seen over 150 show up with officers from the ship greeting the cruisers, and similar but smaller groups with the Captain on Celebrity.

We had over 60 sign up for the free M&M through Cruise Critic on the Dream a few weeks ago and about 50 showed up. We were hand delivered an invitation and it was in the Fun Times for the first sea day at 1:30 which was a perfect time. We were provided cookies, coffee, juices and water and the CD and Entertainment Director met with us. Our CD, Chris "The Flying Scotsman", was wonderful and went around the room answering questions and talking. We met several people that we continued to talk to for the rest of the cruise. We really enjoyed it and hope our next 2 will be as good.

I don'.t I have a very social type job so on vacation, I'm not into mingling with strangers but would rather spend time with my husband and any friends that come along.

Yes, this.

I cruise to get away from small talk. If I want to spend an hour chatting with random strangers, I'll go to the DMV.

I actually had better luck with informal M&G's through the roll calls, sometimes 20 - 30 cruisers meeting at an aft pool.

Pretty much what we always do but I keep signing up for the formal ones to encourage them to get it right [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went to one official one on RCCL that was very well attended. I've met a few people through informal meet-ups by cruise critic roll call members on a couple of occasions. One part of me wants to meet the people I've chatted with but the other part of me just wants to relax & not have to worry about getting to a meet & greet. Sometimes it just feels awkward, unlike when you just randomly start chatting with someone while waiting in line or waiting for a show to start, or having a drink.

Went on my last cruise. About 15 people showed. It was on a port day at 5pm. I had early dining so I couldn't stay too long. The CD was there. It was nice to talk to her and meet a few people from here. Earlier in the day on the first sea day probably would've been better.

Did it last year on Magic, they picked a time just before dinner and maybe 10 people showed up.

Had a nice time chatting with the CD but no idea why they would schedule it for 5 30 when so many have first seating.

Perhaps another item set up to fail.

Nope. Never been to one. We cruise to spend time with each other. To each his (or her) own though.

If you're active on a roll call, it's nice to put a face to a person you may have been communicating with online for months. CC is a way to exchange information and pay it forward. Taking a half hour out of my cruise week is a very small price to pay.

But then again, there are many who are members of the me generation and they don't realize that Newton's law that every action has an equal and opposite reaction is indeed true.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We almost always go if the roll call here has the desire to follow up and have one but won't go if that is not the case. Roll calls have a life of their own, sometimes being vibrant and active and some other times almost non existent. We have met friends from some of them that have endured the call, and then the cruise, much like with some people from here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last year on the Glory, we set up an unofficial cabin crawl and about 10-15 people came. For the official Meet and Mingle, Carnival set it up for the last sea day and did not send invitations (it was in the Fun Times). Only a few people showed up. Very disappointing. I hope it's better later this year on the Breeze.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Forums mobile app

On our sailing 2 weeks ago we had about 10 people on a roll call here on Cruise Critic. On social media we had over 175 people who actively talked to one another. We all said we'd meet on lido wearing a certain color beads on day 1 which a lot of people did. However we wanted something later on for those who missed it, so we used the M&M on Cruise Critic as a platform for everyone to meet again. We had maybe 4 people from Cruise Critic show up and about 30 from our social media group show up.

It was nice because we got to meet the people we'd been talking to for the past year, in person. We sat around for about an hour and talked, joked, etc. Sydney our entertainment director was there chatting with us and keeping things going. It was a good option for those of us who wanted to meet, to be able to do so. It was on third day of our cruise at 9am so it was pretty early which I think kept a lot of people away. It was advertised in the Fun Times as well as everyone who signed up got an invite sent to their cabin. We encouraged everyone in our roll call group on social media to come here and sign up so they'd know about it.

Last year on the Glory, we set up an unofficial cabin crawl and about 10-15 people came. For the official Meet and Mingle, Carnival set it up for the last sea day and did not send invitations (it was in the Fun Times). Only a few people showed up. Very disappointing. I hope it's better later this year on the Breeze.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Forums mobile app

Have been to official set ups on RCI, Celebrity and NCL and a private get together through Carnival with an open bar. The RCI gathering consisted of too many people that just showed up for the gifts, they were trolls on the roll call that never interacted or added anything.

The set up with NCL has been the best with the CD as well as four or five other senior officers showing up. It's always held on the first sea day around 1030 or 1100.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

On our sailing 2 weeks ago we had about 10 people on a roll call here on Cruise Critic. On social media we had over 175 people who actively talked to one another. We all said we'd meet on lido wearing a certain color beads on day 1 which a lot of people did. However we wanted something later on for those who missed it, so we used the M&M on Cruise Critic as a platform for everyone to meet again. We had maybe 4 people from Cruise Critic show up and about 30 from our social media group show up.

It was nice because we got to meet the people we'd been talking to for the past year, in person. We sat around for about an hour and talked, joked, etc. Sydney our entertainment director was there chatting with us and keeping things going. It was a good option for those of us who wanted to meet, to be able to do so. It was on third day of our cruise at 9am so it was pretty early which I think kept a lot of people away. It was advertised in the Fun Times as well as everyone who signed up got an invite sent to their cabin. We encouraged everyone in our roll call group on social media to come here and sign up so they'd know about it.

We do like going....however, on our last 2 CCL cruises, Carnival never followed through....we had way over the 25 minimum limit signed up.....no invite in our cabin, no listing in the daily activities sheets....so it never happened on both occasions.

On a third CCL cruise, they assigned a time at dinnertime on the last sea day....it conflicted with other activites, dinner and packing.....only 3 people showed up!

Just a note to Teknoge3K, not everyone is on 'social media'.....myself being one of them. You miss out on lots of fun folks by using media that a lot of people don't subscribe in....JMHO!

RCI has been doing them for years. We have been to maybe two of them. We found them nothing to write home about. Also, they usually tend to schedule them when we are busy doing something (usually lounging by the pool sipping drinks :)) and we just don't want to get up and go. For folks who are more social than us, they seem to be of a lot more interest. Like has already been said, we enjoy casual meetings and do socialize a lot with folks we meet at random, but we are not big on social "gatherings" if that makes sense. If we hit it off and want to meet someone on CC we usually just set that up ourselves.