Review Quest 16th and 23rd June

Mrs Miggins

Before I start I want to emphasise that we had a really lovely cruise and plan to book further cruises with Azamara if and when the price is right for us. However I did notice more deficiencies and noticeable differences than we have seen before.

Embarkation: Easy and fast. Arrived at around 1.30 and our room was ready. Perhaps I a dreaming but in the past I thought we had been offered a glass of champagne on arrival but not this time.

Cabin: Extra space ocean view 6004. My initial impression on opening the door was not good. It looked dark and dreary. Whoever chose the dark grey textured wallpaper, next to the brown and cream "splurge pattern" carpet, plus cream stick on coverings on the door panels of the dark brown furniture has obviously never stayed in this cabin. We liked the extra space and the big round window, but nothing alleviated the gloom. We did not mind noise from the anchor chain on the few occasions we tendered. However it seemed that the boom boom noise from the Cabaret Lounge below us went on all day. They were certainly rehearsing rather more than they performed. This was not a huge problem for us but might trouble some. The bathroom is as ever, but this time with the addition of sticky tape holding down the wall covering at the back of the shower. Cabin Attendants lovely, and bed very comfortable. As an aside the bedside tables did not match. Square on one side and round on the other. The love seat looked rather lost in this larger cabin but we did appreciate the extra floor space for piling up the shopping bags etc.

Included Drinks were fine, but I saw many many more cards being handed over the bar. Many on this cruise were first timers. The shortened included list even stopped me from ordering anything new despite knowing that many more drinks could have been made with the included offerings.

Food. I thought the breakfast buffet was just the same as usual with the exception of some very strange bacon on the last few days of the cruise. Despite being English I go for the crispy offering as the 'English Bacon' is never cooked enough. On the last couple of days the offering was completely different and not nice. On the first week no cooked tomatoes were available but the lovely staff made sure I got some when requested. The second week they were on the buffet with the addition of ready made bacon and sausage rolls.

Main Dining Room was good and service was excellent. I was disappointed by Aqualina. I dont like fish and there was little else. On the last night the tomato starter was a big bowl of tomatoes cut into quarters with a few bits on onion and cheese sprinkled on top. Hardly fine dining. We enjoyed Prime C but if you want to see the show then avoid both specialities as service is extremely leisurely, though charming. We also like the Patio for lunch.

Entertainment

Russ's one man show was good of course but sadly his new assistant is not experienced enough to hold an audience. We saw only about 15 minutes but did slip out from our seats at the back after watching others do the same. I am sure she is a lovely girl but I felt she was out of her depth. We really missed the dancers and perhaps if she had had some back up it would have helped. The four singers were fine, but again we missed the dancers. The shows seemed lacklustre.

The flamenco troup on our last night started slowly but eventually had the audience on their side and received a standing ovation. The new piano singer had a good voice, but we missed the audience interaction we had been used to. I understand the Sparkling Trio have now been replaced. I thought they were OK but really didnt get much chance to see them as we were always on our way to somewhere else.

White Night the first week was fabulous with the wonderful singer David Righeschi, plus a lovely soprano. Russ and the singers and band put on their usual fantastic finale. Also enjoyed the second week White Night but not so much the local Flamenco group. Evening finished with a firework display marking the end of the San Joan festival in Palamos.

Azamazing Evening in Livorno was the Four Sopranos which we enjoyed and as usual the organisation was impeccable . We missed the comedy that we had see with The Three Tenors a little.

The second one was in Cannes. There were mixed reactions to this but we enjoyed it greatly. The swift intake of breath from most of the men in the audience when the female dancers came on stage, following the opening by the male dancers ,was audible. They really had very little on - but were very good. We liked the Cabaret number and the Michael Jackson bit plus of course the Can Can at the end. The male dancers kept all of their clothes on. Again impeccable transfers bearing in mind we were tendered.

The Ports of Call were great and since I have already written more than I anticipated I won't elaborate. EXCEPT to say for those searching for something new to do in Livorno then take local Bus 102 (Direction Cecina) from the stop close to the Tourist office in Livorno Town Centre to the lovely seaside town of Castiglioncello. Its about a 40 minute coastal drive. We went to the smaller of the two beaches and had a lovely lunch in a beautiful beach side restaurant. There seemed to be only locals enjoying the sunloungers and old fashioned beach huts. Views across the bays to some lovely villas. Plus a fantastic castle near the bus stop. Who could ask for more.

We had a lovely cruise and much of the above reflects our slight disappointment in the current Azamara offerings. Of course the crew were all lovely. There was poor attendance at both Cruise Critic parties. The LCV parties had more people but there really were lots of last minute first time Azamara cruisers.

We took two shore excursions, First to Cassis - not as advertised so poorly researched by Azamara. Second to inland villages in Corsica. Lovely scenery but the advertised gushing waterfalls were an hours walk away from our stopping place. Hardly possible in our 45 minute stop. Not a big deal but shows lack of detail an local knowledge from those arranging these excursions. Despite completing many Azamara cruises this was the first try at the Shore Excursion offerings and sadly probably our last.

In Valencia Azamara offered a Shuttle Bus service, if you could find it. An MSC ship was embarking, and the whole terminal was crowded and busy. There was no Azamara presence at all in the terminal. We eventually found the bus but the only sign was actually a piece of paper flat down on a kerb. The bus had no markings. Many gave up and just got a cab. We managed to get on after a wait but there were too many people and the local bus person had to check our cards as apparently some 'outsiders's were trying to use the service. Valencia was lovely but crowded and we got a taxi to the lovely City of Arts and Sciences. Fantastic and we will return in January. Taxi back to the terminal. Still chaotic and crowded with no Azamara person or visible signage. Usual cold drink offering only for MSC - the Azamara offering was only onboard. This whole experience was disappointing and again smacked of lack of customer care.

Despite all the above I would love to cruise again with friends old and new, but the current prices for 2019 seem so high. I have just checked a couple we are interested in but I would not book at the price offered. However if I look at cruises over the next few months {July August Sept) then it is obvious that many are heavily discounted. Meanwhile I look forward to a Scenic River Cruise and a Viking Ocean New Year cruise.

Excellent review Pam and as I agree with every word you wrote I won't bother to do my own! 😄

Despite some issues they were lovely cruises with lovely friends and we had a great time.

Back to work tomorrow. ☹️

Thank you Mrs Miggins, we are sailing in a couple of weeks on the Quest and were looking for something different to do in Livorno as we have done Florence and Lucca several times. We will certainly follow in your footsteps to the coast. Many thanks

Tricia:)

Sorry about mentioning the bedside tables. I love that they are not intended to match and will check every hotel room and cabin in future. I may well complain if they do match.

Any comments on my other points?

Sorry about mentioning the bedside tables. I love that they are not intended to match and will check every hotel room and cabin in future. I may well complain if they do match.

Thanks for taking the time to do a thoughtful review.

Yes. I agree that a lighter color wall covering would have been better in oceanview and veranda staterooms.

While Aqualina is billed as primarily a seafood restaurant, the tenderloin is excellent and the veal quite good. Also, with 24 hours notice you can ask for a veal chop prepared in any of three ways: grilled, pan-fried, or pounded and schnitzeled. Isn't there also a duck main course?

On three Quest cruises two months ago, guests were greeted with sparkling wine, sparkling rose, or mimosas, so surprised you were not.

Couldn't agree with you more about English bacon.

Bacon is as mystifying to Americans [or at least this American] while traveling as tipping is to Australians. In the US there is only one kind of bacon, what elsewhere seems to be called 'crispy bacon.' We also have something called 'Canadian bacon' [which I'm sure is not called that in Canada and I'm not sure what it's called worldwide] that is essential to making a proper Eggs Benedict. How does 'British' bacon differ from these two?

Actually Pam we did get the welcome bubbles when we arrived onboard. Maybe you just missed them?

Robin, Philip was not our HD. He has only just arrived this Saturday. Tomasz was our HD and is very good at his job.

i want to know if anyone spoke to Philip about the missing champagne and bus signs. I ma use to a bus person being near the ship and in town.

We didn't get offered champagne but that does not mean that other people didn't. Perhaps they were refilling their trays. I wouldn't have complained as I knew that sparkling wine is now available in the bars. In fact as I recall when there were lots of requests for sparkling wine to be introduced one of the reasons given for it not being available was that it was reserved for 'special' occasions like LCV parties, embarkation drinks etc etc.

I don't know if anyone complained about the shuttle bus situation. I can only say that there was lots of disquiet about it. We abandoned returning by shuttle bus since we moved from the town centre to the City of Arts and Sciences so returned by Taxi. I would not stand in line at Guest Services to complain about something like that. I will complain on my final survey. In addition I will be in Valencia again at the end of the year on Viking. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the service offered. I would bet that it will be much better and will report on this board.

All it needed was for there to be an Azamara presence in this busy and crowded area.

Many were already a little frustrated already on that morning. The breakfast buffet was extra busy and staff were missing. Tables were uncleared, no drinks were offered after the initial fill up. Extra spoons and knives etc on top of the counter were not refilled. There was then a Crew Only Emergency Drill which explains missing personnel. I believe the time of this drill may have been changed and there may have been a good reason for that.

I did mark down Guest Services on the survey for the first week. I found it difficult to communicate with a couple of those on the desk and had to explain a simple issue I had at some length to three different people. I understand that it is difficult for a trainee but they should always be closely supervised and understanding English should be paramount.

Actually Pam we did get the welcome bubbles when we arrived onboard. Maybe you just missed them?

Robin, Philip was not our HD. He has only just arrived this Saturday. Tomasz was our HD and is very good at his job.

Thanks Lottie. I always seen the bubble and walk by them. Nit a bubble person but in bathtub,p.

I love the FAct he got moved up.i have just learn if a real problem Ohilip and Heike fix asapmas possible.mune seem to be chips in the glass sinks and I do nit want to get cut.

You also had a great captain,

Bacon is as mystifying to Americans [or at least this American] while traveling as tipping is to Australians. In the US there is only one kind of bacon, what elsewhere seems to be called 'crispy bacon.' We also have something called 'Canadian bacon' [which I'm sure is not called that in Canada and I'm not sure what it's called worldwide] that is essential to making a proper Eggs Benedict. How does 'British' bacon differ from these two?

British bacon is similar to ‘Canadian Bacon’. In the U.K. you can buy two main types of bacon. Streaky bacon, which is similar to US bacon and Back bacon which is leaner and like ‘Canadian’ bacon. We don’t tend to cook our streaky bacon until really crisp though.

Just to complicate things both types of GB bacon can be smoked or unsmoked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. I agree that a lighter color wall covering would have been better in oceanview and veranda staterooms.

While Aqualina is billed as primarily a seafood restaurant, the tenderloin is excellent and the veal quite good. Also, with 24 hours notice you can ask for a veal chop prepared in any of three ways: grilled, pan-fried, or pounded and schnitzeled. Isn't there also a duck main course?

On three Quest cruises two months ago, guests were greeted with sparkling wine, sparkling rose, or mimosas, so surprised you were not.

Couldn't agree with you more about English bacon.

I had the veal both times as I couldn't see anything else on the menu. I only eat half on each occasion and I was asked it I wanted anything else. We were dining with our good friends and I was certainly not hungry. There was a tenderloin I think but it had some sort of fish addition possibly shrimp. It was only when the main course was delivered that I noticed that one friend had ordered lamb from the Prime C Menu. I didn't know you could do that, No big deal - we had a great evening. My DH is a fish person but wasn't over impressed. He also preferred Prime C.

However as I said previously we thought the MDR was good. I am not sure it is worth paying the premium for the specialty restaurants for the food, but of course the service and ambiance are superior. I stress again that dining with friends was lovely.

The Crispy bacon is what we call in England - Streaky. The other option we have is called 'back' bacon possibly cut from the loin. Both are either smoked or unsmoked so will have differing flavours. Mass catering must be difficult and I have no idea how bacon is cooked onboard but do not quite understand why the 'English' bacon is sort of wet and floppy. The new Chef is from England and perhaps that explains the appearance of bacon and sausage pre made rolls on the buffet. However DH prefers to make his own with crispy bacon and muffins, plus of course brown sauce.

We didn't notice the wallpaper so much in our previous balcony cabin because of course there is so much light. The suites have exactly the same style wallpaper but in a light cream colour which would have been much more appropriate in our ocean view. We did have the opportunity to visit both the Club Continent and the Club Ocean Suites and of course the furniture there is light and modern and not the dark brown variety with stick on cream panels.

As I said at length we had a great cruise with lovely company but there were more 'niggles' this time and the new prices mean that many are looking elsewhere.

British bacon is similar to ‘Canadian Bacon’. In the U.K. you can buy two main types of bacon. Streaky bacon, which is similar to US bacon and Back bacon which is leaner and like ‘Canadian’ bacon. We don’t tend to cook our streaky bacon until really crisp though.

Just to complicate things both types of GB bacon can be smoked or unsmoked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is a good description but we do like our bacon cooked crispy even at home.

Incidentally in our opinion the bacon on our April Quest cruise was of a very poor quality compared to that available in the past.

Hi Phil, We miss you.

Mike is on a bit of a diet so was reduced to one bacon roll. However he did try the black pudding one morning and completely agrees with you.

Hope the toaster is working. One morning poor Angel had to cope with a piece of bread stuck inside, her Manager had to be called to help. Perhaps they could buy another toaster as the line was very long some mornings although of course I understand lack of space may be the issue. Angel is a star and worked in a frenzy to serve everyone as quickly as possible, but still managed to smile and sing.

We did have a wonderful cruise sailing with Mrs Miggins and other lovely friends. I found the MDR very good this cruise and appreciably better than on recent voyages.

I enjoyed Prime C but even with offering impeccable service found Aqualina distinctly disappointing. One night the service was so slow we were dining for more than 3 hours and on our final night the food was the worst I have ever experienced there even though the restaurant wasn't full.

The crew were as always superb and Russ continues to be a human dynamo. He truly is the heartbeat of Quest. We were fortunate to dine with him one night - he is fabulous company.

For the first time though I thought Quest looked tired and the entertainment was unexciting although the four singers were enthusiastic and pretty good.

I do have my eye on a 2019 itinerary but there is a ceiling to the price I will pay. Think I may have to cast my net wider when planning future cruises,

You have received a lot of good advice re: 'British' bacon.

And, as you suppose, at one time 'Canadian' bacon was not called that in Canada. My mother would have called it peameal or back bacon.

HOWEVER, sometimes a foodstuff is not just a foodstuff. Because of the popularity of the satirical TV series SCTV (1976-84), and more particularly the work of Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas and the more famous John Candy, the product was labelled 'Canadian bacon' as an element in skits to distinguish Canadian culture from that of the U.S.A., where 'crispy' is usually offered.

John Candy produced and acted in a movie appropriately named 'Canadian Bacon'. The label stuck.

You might argue that this is thin gruel for nationalism, but to return to the question at hand some time ago I posted a complaint that 'English' bacon on Azamara should also, in deference to our sensibilities, be labelled as 'Canadian' :)

And, as Mrs. Miggins notes, at the end of our cruise the crispy bacon on offer was a rather different product than at the beginning.

Now, I fear, I've truly turned into one of those tiresome tour guides.

I don't know if anyone complained about the shuttle bus situation. I can only say that there was lots of disquiet about it.

We also encountered a bit of a shambles concerning the shuttle bus in Valencia. Upon exiting the terminal we were actually discussing using using local transit with an ENT worker when a woman came over who, thankfully, had identified us as Azamara cruisers and directed us to the shuttle. No problem boarding the shuttle at the exit to the old city.

We put the problem down to the company contracted for the service; their drivers/officers seemed a rather surly lot.

There was also a problem re-embarking, this time created by the port authority. There were signs for Azamara cruisers to follow, but security officers were preventing us from following those indicators as there was a long line of MSC passengers queued up for embarkation in the same area.

Only by frantically waving our seapasses and ignoring the glowering officers and MSC cruisers were we able to get expeditious re-entry.

The line-up for MSC reminded us of the efficiency of Azamara boarding.

John Candy produced and acted in a movie appropriately named 'Canadian Bacon'. The label stuck.

Ooo, now you're making me think of "candied bacon," which the people on cooking shows make all the time.

Glad you had a good trip! ;)

We didn't get offered champagne but that does not mean that other people didn't. Perhaps they were refilling their trays. I wouldn't have complained as I knew that sparkling wine is now available in the bars. In fact as I recall when there were lots of requests for sparkling wine to be introduced one of the reasons given for it not being available was that it was reserved for 'special' occasions like LCV parties, embarkation drinks etc etc.

I don't know if anyone complained about the shuttle bus situation. I can only say that there was lots of disquiet about it. We abandoned returning by shuttle bus since we moved from the town centre to the City of Arts and Sciences so returned by Taxi. I would not stand in line at Guest Services to complain about something like that. I will complain on my final survey. In addition I will be in Valencia again at the end of the year on Viking. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the service offered. I would bet that it will be much better and will report on this board.

All it needed was for there to be an Azamara presence in this busy and crowded area.

Many were already a little frustrated already on that morning. The breakfast buffet was extra busy and staff were missing. Tables were uncleared, no drinks were offered after the initial fill up. Extra spoons and knives etc on top of the counter were not refilled. There was then a Crew Only Emergency Drill which explains missing personnel. I believe the time of this drill may have been changed and there may have been a good reason for that.

I did mark down Guest Services on the survey for the first week. I found it difficult to communicate with a couple of those on the desk and had to explain a simple issue I had at some length to three different people. I understand that it is difficult for a trainee but they should always be closely supervised and understanding English should be paramount.

In future, please make the effort to contact guest relations, in person or in writing, as soon as you have a problem and it will be fixed then. Do not come home and then complain when nothing can be done to help you.

In future, please make the effort to contact guest relations, in person or in writing, as soon as you have a problem and it will be fixed then. Do not come home and then complain when nothing can be done to help you.

That is a completely unfair comment.

Actually Mrs Miggins DID speak to Guest Relations front desk several times, with no resolution. I was on the same cruise. There were many issues between some of our group that were not dealt with well by the GR front desk and it was only when they were escalated to the fantastically efficient and helpful GR Manager Ngawhira that any help at all was forthcoming.